Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm stoked to use Siri but hate 2 remotes. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Whitezombi posted:

Order from Best Buy says 11/4.

Went ahead and ordered online like I should have on Monday. I'm excited! I use the Apple TV for everything tv related aside from gaming so I'm sure I'll like the new one just as much as the 3rd gen. Being able to sleep to Apple Music through the tv seems lovely.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Haha, MacRumors is reporting that the AppleTV WILL be available at Best Buy tomorrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope that's right. Best Buy is closer than the Apple Store.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's an Apple Store right on my way to work, so I plan on just grabbing it on my way in at 10 tomorrow when they open.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Can someone post a screenshot of what the new "Computers" interface looks like for Home Sharing?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

No shipping notification yet, Silicon Valley. Boo Apple, boo I say.

I realized I didn't order the fast shipping, and I double-ordered it with the gold-trimmed pre-noon shipping on Tuesday. Gonna be there for me at work for me tomorrow :smug:

Suck it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
What's the name of the not-Plex version of Plex that looks slightly better?

Edit: Simplex, which sounds like a virus I've been narrowly avoiding getting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samara posted:

Does Twitch have a native app on this yet?
It's not even out on the PS4 outside the Americas - after they announced it.

Twitch are incredibly slow when it comes to stuff like this, but I think it should be moderately easy to port it to tvOS from iOS.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone tried the Plex app yet or not out yet?

Ordered mine on Monday mornin (preparing for shipment, still) and will use it almost exclusively as a plex box. Interested to hear someone's thoughts when they have Plex up and running.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tonic posted:

Anyone tried the Plex app yet or not out yet?

not available on the store yet.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Samara posted:

Does Twitch have a native app on this yet?

They might take a while, but Twitch uses 264 streams (and HLS streams for Flash-free Safari) as anyone who has used Livestreamer is aware. There shouldn't be any problem with someone slapping something together with their API. Then again, the iPhone doesn't have the bevy of third-party Twitch apps that Android does; so while a third party app is possible I don't know if Apple disallows it or something.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Nice to see the onscreen keyboard is just as lovely as the previous models. Setting up Netflix and Hulu was a goddamn chore. :(

But drat this new interface is pretty.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

I realized I didn't order the fast shipping, and I double-ordered it with the gold-trimmed pre-noon shipping on Tuesday. Gonna be there for me at work for me tomorrow :smug:

Suck it.

I got a notification yesterday, it'll be here today. I decline to suck it.

ufarn posted:

Twitch are incredibly slow when it comes to stuff like this, but I think it should be moderately easy to port it to tvOS from iOS.

Unless their app uses a webview, in which case it'll be some real work.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 30, 2015

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

echobucket posted:

Can someone post a screenshot of what the new "Computers" interface looks like for Home Sharing?

Size difference is interesting. :)

Here's some of the Computers/Home Sharing interface looks like.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 30, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My Best Buy didn't have it. They had no idea there was a new one coming. Had no issue getting one at the Apple Store.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the only difference (compared to ATV3) I had in buying at the fruit stand was that it's serialized so I couldn't do the self-checkout.

If anyone wants a free Roku2 just stand underneath my balcony when I unceremoniously punt it from the 5th floor tonight.

I asked the dude at the fruit stand about returning my shipped unit and he told me to call Apple but I'm just going to take it in when I get it and see if someone else will help me. Sounds like returning at the fruit stand should be straightforward and maybe I got the one guy who just wasn't bothering to look into it.

At any rate, returning by post seems pretty easy. Online is giving me an option to print out a return sticker and only reason I don't want to go that route is waiting vs instant money back.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 30, 2015

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
You can sign into multiple Apple accounts now, so I can use my Apple Music subscription on my Japanese account, and download American TV apps on my American one :woop:. You can't use VPNs though, so you have to route your Apple TVs traffic through one elsewhere, but that's what I had to do on the 3rd gen anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uhh, is there no NHL gamecenter app yet? Lame.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's no Podcasts app. :confused:

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Photo screensavers still the same? And does it cycle between more than the same 150 or 200 photos?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Looks like Best Buy is putting them on Backorder if you bought one online.

:argh:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kenderama posted:

Here's some of the Computers/Home Sharing interface looks like.

Thanks for that! Sorry to be a bother but could you (or anyone) get a shot of what the shared music playback looks like? I've been checking review videos for this but every one just focuses on the remote and Siri and it's driving me nuts haha.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Setup felt really disjointed. Had to hunt for the option to map volume control buttons, disable cec, etc.

Hope this is just a first pass at the ui because I've got some concerns.

Also no voice search in YouTube yet. Reeeeeally hope that gets added soon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Like with any new Apple hardware launch, I'd give it a few weeks for devs to get their apps updated (like with 3D touch/Apple Watch support). Or in this case, get their apps on the store in the first place.

Did the YouTube app get downloaded from the store? It's a weird 1st/3rd party app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Did the YouTube app get downloaded from the store? It's a weird 1st/3rd party app.

Yeah, I had to pull down Youtube.

No NHL is going to be annoying for me though, means I'll have to swap between my 3 and 4.

And the SimPlex video app is just giving me a white screen. Ah the joys of being an early adopter :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Any idea why my phone isn't seeing this in the remote app? Home sharing is turned on.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Any idea why my phone isn't seeing this in the remote app? Home sharing is turned on.

I have the same problem. I'm betting on a Remote App app-version update soon.

Minidust posted:

Thanks for that! Sorry to be a bother but could you (or anyone) get a shot of what the shared music playback looks like? I've been checking review videos for this but every one just focuses on the remote and Siri and it's driving me nuts haha.

Here's a really shaky/crappy hand-held video of me playing a song off of home sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ND-2u3CTk

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I had to pull down Youtube.

No NHL is going to be annoying for me though, means I'll have to swap between my 3 and 4.

I saw an NHL app - looked like the old one though - can get a screenshot or two if you want.

Martytoof posted:

And the SimPlex video app is just giving me a white screen. Ah the joys of being an early adopter :)

I can see my content but nothing plays. I should go check for a Media Server update now that I think about it.. He/the author posted a couple possible fixes for common issues here:
http://simplex.video/troubleshooting/

FWIW, if anyone wants to see anything about the interface, or screenshots or lovely videos, I'll take requests for the next hour or so. :)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 30, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The old nhl app is available in the App Store. I installed it, signed in, and tested it this morning with my single team game center live account and it worked perfectly

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GutBomb posted:

The old nhl app is available in the App Store. I installed it, signed in, and tested it this morning with my single team game center live account and it worked perfectly

Are you guys in the USA or Canadian app store? I'm going to laugh if it's only available in the American one.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Martytoof posted:

Are you guys in the USA or Canadian app store? I'm going to laugh if it's only available in the American one.

USA.

Also update on Simple X -- once I updated my Media Center on my Mac Mini to current everything plays freaking flawlessly now.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The app revolution is here!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kenderama posted:

Here's a really shaky/crappy hand-held video of me playing a song off of home sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ND-2u3CTk
Really appreciate that - thanks!

Hm, I'm not really sold on that look. Why so much white? I don't need the TV lighting up half my room if I'm just listening to music. Album art against a black background was way batter imo. And scrolling through a horizontal row of album art... man I dunno. Vertical list, with album art on the side, seemed like a much better use of screen space. Although, to be fair, that looked like a playlist you were scrolling through. Is it different when browsing by artist/album/etc.?

As for the "now playing" screen - since the album art is in the middle, does it no longer "flip" every ten seconds or so to act as a semi-screen saver?

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
An item for the FAQ:

Legacy AppleTV remotes WILL work with the new AppleTV. Just no Siri, touchpad, etc. But as directional buttons, play/pause, etc. they work fine!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The touch remote wasn't as bad as I feared, in fact it works great thus far IMO. My mind hasn't adjusted to the new homescreen yet, though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

An item for the FAQ:

Legacy AppleTV remotes WILL work with the new AppleTV. Just no Siri, touchpad, etc. But as directional buttons, play/pause, etc. they work fine!

Added!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Setup felt really disjointed. Had to hunt for the option to map volume control buttons, disable cec, etc.

Hope this is just a first pass at the ui because I've got some concerns.

Also no voice search in YouTube yet. Reeeeeally hope that gets added soon.

So what is available to Canadians on the new AppleTV? I always kind of wanted an AppleTV but was always put off by the lack of content available to :canada:.

From what I can gather from the Plex thread, it's like TVersity but with a much nicer interface. Also plugins? This might be getting into :filez: territory, is there something like popcorntime for it? Plex, not AppleTV.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Ugh. Just tried downloading Asphalt 8 to see what it looks like. It's been "DOWNLOADING BUNDLE" for 8 minutes, and I have a 75meg cable DL.

I have to assume that is a one-time load.

Edit: Ow then two minutes to load the next race :) I think I'd rather just play Forza on the xbox anyways. ;-)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 30, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kenderama posted:

An item for the FAQ:

That is awesome to hear since I use a Harmony Hub to control my home theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Here is the BAD news - official from AppleCare on the phone.

"New AppleTV does not take it's input from the Remote App (iOS or WatchOS - I asked) and not sure if it is going to."

I complained loudly and asked they pass that upwards. But gently caress whoever's decision that was. Some of us have 14 character passwords. :/