Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mine arrived, but the remote seems to be DOA. My old remote works fine, but the Siri one doesn't do anything. The ATV says that the remote isn't connected. I tried charging it for an hour, in case it was the first Apple product I'd ever had that came without charge.

Anything to try before I head to the Apple Store for replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the VLC app live yet? Does it have the option to load a network stream?

Although, :lol: I just realized that with the iOS remote app broken for the time being, the option to load a stream in VLC would mean typing out the whole address, so pretty much useless then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Although, :lol: I just realized that with the iOS remote app broken for the time being, the option to load a stream in VLC would mean typing out the whole address, so pretty much useless then.

What, you're not looking forward to typing in a 60 character string using the on-screen ouija board?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't think it's up yet, but it's coming soon. I'm going to pull it down from git and play with it later.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
The ATV4 can do 3DTV content.

lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Actually, long-holding menu+home put it in standby, but neither button do anything when I press them while it's on, and menu won't wake it up. Weird.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

If both devices are on the same network, it will run over that, but if not, it can set up an ad-hoc connection as of iOS 8.

Definitely keeping my ATV3 then. :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Plex update:

https://twitter.com/plex/status/660206502435647488

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fixed it while on the phone with Apple support: left it sitting on the Bluetooth settings screen for several minutes, and my remote showed up as an other device. Paired and I'm in business.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
BTW, pairing a set of bluetooth headphones with this is perfect for late night tv watching. It keeps the audio in perfect sync, and best of all, all you have to do is turn the headset on/off and it automatically redirects the audio without you having to choose anything.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

So, overall this is dope, but I have a few complaints:

1. The new on-screen keyboard sucks. The one-row interface means controls cab be 30 or so places apart. The only grid pattern was better.

2. No iOS Remote app sucks. They launched Apple Watch earlier this year with a built-in Remote app, so they clearly have plans to update it. I would have expected that to be read day-one if it was going to be the same app, which makes me thinks they are adding new features.

3. They changed the IR-receivers commands for the worse. Most of my Harmony remote's commands work, but some don't. The play button and d-pad work. The fast forward, rewind, and pause buttons are recognized by Apple TV as some sort of command (because I can't teach the Apple TV them in the learn remote screen), but they also don't do the things they are labeled for.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

echobucket posted:

BTW, pairing a set of bluetooth headphones with this is perfect for late night tv watching. It keeps the audio in perfect sync, and best of all, all you have to do is turn the headset on/off and it automatically redirects the audio without you having to choose anything.

This will work wonders when I'm watching a football game and have to take a shower. I can just pair my Bluetooth speaker to it and listen to the game while I jerk off shower.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mahoning posted:

This will work wonders when I'm watching a football game and have to take a shower. I can just pair my Bluetooth speaker to it and listen to the game while I jerk off shower.

You can't just do that with your phone?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Lol Hulu I guess you decided to bury my queue

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So how's the search work? Is it going through Netflix and whatever streaming services to find "Shawshank Redemption" or whatever?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

sellouts posted:

So how's the search work? Is it going through Netflix and whatever streaming services to find "Shawshank Redemption" or whatever?

Yes, but so far I can't tell it to ignore certain services. I usually don't care what's available on the iTunes store, so I'd like the ability to only search my subscription services. Maybe later.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mulls posted:

So, overall this is dope, but I have a few complaints:

1. The new on-screen keyboard sucks. The one-row interface means controls cab be 30 or so places apart. The only grid pattern was better.

... Snip ...

3. They changed the IR-receivers commands for the worse. Most of my Harmony remote's commands work, but some don't. The play button and d-pad work. The fast forward, rewind, and pause buttons are recognized by Apple TV as some sort of command (because I can't teach the Apple TV them in the learn remote screen), but they also don't do the things they are labeled for.

1. I discovered that if I entered a search box using my harmony remote it gave me the old grid style keyboard. If I entered a search box with the new remote it gave me the horizontal keyboard

3. My harmony remote's ffw and rwd buttons work fine. I only tried it in the NHL app but it worked fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Plex's app has been rejected a couple of times now, so who knows how long it'll be until it's live.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

You can't just do that with your phone?

I mean, yeah I could pull the game up on my phone and turn on the Bluetooth speaker. Or I can just make it so all I have to do is turn on the Bluetooth speaker and not worry about my phone.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The rejections have been about breaking rules about linking back to the website for purchases (presumably for plexpass)

Of all of the reasons Apple might want to hold Plex back, this one seems like it can be addressed in short order.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

GutBomb posted:

1. I discovered that if I entered a search box using my harmony remote it gave me the old grid style keyboard. If I entered a search box with the new remote it gave me the horizontal keyboard

3. My harmony remote's ffw and rwd buttons work fine. I only tried it in the NHL app but it worked fine.

I'll try to reproduce 1. Thanks for the tip.

On 3, it looks like the ff and rwd buttons work in some apps but not all. Notably, they don't work right in the iTunes Movies app.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
It seems that Air Video has been released for the Apple TV. So far so good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GutBomb posted:

The rejections have been about breaking rules about linking back to the website for purchases (presumably for plexpass)

Of all of the reasons Apple might want to hold Plex back, this one seems like it can be addressed in short order.

Anyone desperate for that functionality, SimpleX is working great and is only 2.99

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Follow up, I can't get a grid-keyboard to appear, but it looks like which remote you use to launch an app has an impact on whether the Harmony buttons work. Or maybe my Harmony was just not working before but is working now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
drat the new Netflix app is laughably bad

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Kinda glad I didn't pick one up today.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Holy poo poo, there's a QVC app. I don't watch QVC or buy poo poo from there, but it is the absolute perfect fit for the ATV. It plays the live feed of QVC and has a "speed buy" button.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a QVC app. I don't watch QVC or buy poo poo from there, but it is the absolute perfect fit for the ATV. It plays the live feed of QVC and has a "speed buy" button.

I kinda want to buy something just to have participated!

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

It feels a bit unfinished but I'm sure some major updates will come out soon. Still, a bit surprised they shipped it out like this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

stupid puma posted:

It feels a bit unfinished but I'm sure some major updates will come out soon. Still, a bit surprised they shipped it out like this.

From what you're describing, that's what it sounds like. I wonder if they had to hit some target date like the Apple Watch.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mahoning posted:

Are they giving up 30% to Apple?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

OldSenileGuy posted:

drat the new Netflix app is laughably bad

Why?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fordan posted:

Are they giving up 30% to Apple?

Doesn't that only apply to digital goods? If I buy a TV through the Amazon app, I don't think Apple gets a cut.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It only applies to things you buy with your iTunes account

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It removed all of the menus from the ATV3 Netflix app. It's definitely a step back.

Yeah, the new ATV feels half-baked, but it was probably one of those things that's so new (software-wise) that they needed to get it out into people's hands and start polishing it based on feedback.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

noirstronaut posted:

It only applies to things you buy with your iTunes account

Right, but all digital goods have to go through iTunes.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Subjunctive posted:

Right, but all digital goods have to go through iTunes.

Not if we dream hard enough.

But I'm sold enough on this new AppleTV. I've put my 3rd gen on the SA Mart for $55. Hopefully someone buys it right now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's $3 less than you can get a brand new atv3 at Best Buy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress best buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a heads up, you can force quit apps by double tapping the home button and swiping the app up. This is helpful for the currently sometimes-functioning WatchESPN app.