Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Ghostwoods posted:

Perhaps not as obvious as you think, because I can't tell whether you're hinting that it's a good idea, or hinting that it's a trap!

Neither really, just making it obvious that it exists! More obvious than it might be when actually just reading/playing the book, anyway; the italicized chapter titles are easy to miss.

Generally, I'm trying to remain more or less neutral with regards to choices, and letting the thread guide our path. Wouldn't be much fun if I tried to nudge us onto the optimal path!

In any case, so far, we're at 1 For taking a hint and 1 for Finish Him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finish him

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Defeating a murderous villain sounds very heroic! Fighto!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

100percentjesusfree posted:

Neither really, just making it obvious that it exists!

Ah, I see. Gotcha.

Well, this is Ancient Greece. KILL HIM!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
The thread's bloodlust prevails, we fight on! The book doesn't make it clear if this starts a whole new combat round, in which we gain initiative again, but I'm assuming probably not. So, picking up where we left off...

21 posted:

Procrustes, now Seriously Wounded, goes berserk rather than surrender. He only rolls one die, and abandons his axe, but his combat values change to Might 12, Protection 5. If you kill him, go to 315; if you die, but Zeus saves you, go to 263.

Altheus

Wounds: Healthy
Might: 4 + 1 = 5
Protection: 11

Procrustes

Wounds: Seriously Wounded
Might: 12
Protection 5

I COULD spend some honour to boost our Protection here, to make it less likely we get hit, but it's almost certainly not worth it due to the way this game's unusual combat system works. We'd need to spend all of our honour in order to guarantee no hit, and as it is, one hit is very unlikely to matter. Besides, maybe he'll roll a 1 and auto-miss?

Procrustes: 3 + 12 = 15

Nuts. Altheus is now Wounded. Being merely Wounded carries no penalties, though, which is why I wasn't too fussed about making sure we didn't take a hit here; we need only hit once more, to win, while we have to be hit twice. Plus, provided we don't roll low enough to auto-miss, we're basically guaranteed a hit.

Round two!

Altheus: 5 + 6 + 5 = 16

Procrustes is dead. Already, we're doing this universe's Theseus' job better than he did, and we can move on to 315.

315 posted:

Take 2 Shame points for killing a host, even one so evil; but have 4 honour points, and you may keep the axe (MIght 5, Protection -3). You leave the town. Go to 263.

:sigh: Ever feel like a book is flipping you off? Apparently, killing serial murderers is something to be ashamed of if they gave you food, drink, and a bed to kill you in.

Smiling Knight posted:

That is bad Greek cultural history! Crusty here is the one who violated xenia (super special guest friendship, the purview of Zeus himself) and a proper hero would be totally in the right for murdering the poo poo out of him. See: Odysseus killing all of the suitors at the end of the Odyssey, even though he was their guest, or, ya know, Actual Theseus killing Actual Procrustes.

So not only is it ridiculous, it's historically and culturally inaccurate! :argh: I'm not entirely surprised; defending yourself from a murderous host being considered a faux pas seems absurd.

On the plus side, that axe is a pretty good find. 5 Might is quite a bit, and while the protection hit is nasty, there's something I didn't mention; unless it explicitly says otherwise, or you take some kind of distracting action (appealing to Zeus, etc), Altheus automatically gains initiative in combat. With the game's system of 'three strikes and you're out', being able to much more reliably hit your opponent is a huge boon a lot of the time.

Of course, if we get ambushed, that negative Protection will get us well and truly hosed. It'll also potentially be more trouble than it's worth in group fights. Feel free to suggest a preference on what we should wander around wielding!

263 posted:

You leave high-walled Tiryns far behind you as, mulling over the night's events in your mind, you journey north to Mycenae. The road is high-banked, and there are few travellers. Some hours pass, and you reach a place where a track joins the road. Unsure of your route, you question a passing farmer, on his way to the market of Tiryns. He tells you that the track leads east to Epidaurus, home of Asclepius the healer, but that the road leads as you thought to Mycenae the lion city.

If you take the track to Epidaurus, go to 324; otherwise you carry on to Mycenae (503)

Nothing fancy here, just a choice; carry on towards the city, or sidetrack to the home of Asclepius? Perhaps visiting a god would let us kiss up to them a bit, and get in their good graces.

Of course, it's equally likely we'll manage to tick him off, somehow.

Character Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 1)
Protection: 11
Honour: 11
Shame: 3

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)

Deities
Patron: Athena
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem
Zeus prayer still intact. (for now!)

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's go see Asclepius.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

quote:

:sigh: Ever feel like a book is flipping you off? Apparently, killing serial murderers is something to be ashamed of if they gave you food, drink, and a bed to kill you in.

That is bad Greek cultural history! Crusty here is the one who violated xenia (super special guest friendship, the purview of Zeus himself) and a proper hero would be totally in the right for murdering the poo poo out of him. See: Odysseus killing all of the suitors at the end of the Odyssey, even though he was their guest, or, ya know, Actual Theseus killing Actual Procrustes.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Smiling Knight posted:

Thanks! I love little tidbits like this. I don't know much about Greek culture and the like, but the idea of you being honour-bound to not defend yourself against an attacking host seemed incredibly silly.

Quoted you in the post!

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
let's see Asclepius, if life is a 3 strike system we probably shouldn't be wandering around already having 1 strike

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lacedaemonius posted:

let's see Asclepius, if life is a 3 strike system we probably shouldn't be wandering around already having 1 strike

Actually, we're fully healed between fights, so we're good!

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

FredMSloniker posted:

Actually, we're fully healed between fights, so we're good!

oh, cool. we don't need to stop but hell, we're not on a time limit so why not?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Lets go Asclepius. I have these books, and never completed them. Edit- I am too hard on the Authors - they never had the luxury at the time we do with the Tell me about Ancient/Medieval/Military history threads we have today.

That being said, some of the hints in book 3 are absolute bullshit considering how often taking a hint can penalize you.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 28, 2015

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Onwards, towards Asclepius' town of Epidaurus!

324 posted:

As you trudge back along the dusty road, the midday sun beats down on your back. You sit down to take a drink, and as you do, you notice something strange beside the road. You stand up, and when you reach the place, there is a skeleton, sheathed in rotting leather armour. Across the road a boot and a broken, rusty sword hilt lie, in evidence of an ancient struggle for the traveller's life. The place is overgrown with bushes and scrub. You sigh and utter a quick prayer to your patron that your fate will be a happier one, and that amicable Altheus will live at least to see the halls of his father. But the journey beckons, and you set off again to Epidaurus. Go to 277.

Whoof, doesn't look like the god of healing can do much for this guy, at least. Once again, we pause here because we may take a hint. So far, hints have cost us some shame, but also saved our life; Shall we risk it, or just move on?

From what I understand of hints, the thought process behind them is supposed to be "Should there be something interesting I can do here that the basic text isn't giving me a chance to try out?" - bear that in mind when thinking about whether or not going for a hint is a good idea.

Of course, there's a bit of adventure game logic going on, so if the book's authors didn't consider your idea (or if it was something a Bronze-age Greek wouldn't think of), we get penalized.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
A bronze aged hero would take the hint to search the body for loot.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sure, yeah, let's risk a hint.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I don't know, man, that sounds like kind of a shameful thing to do. Onward to adventure.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I guess they're really sticking us with "amicable" as our heroic epithet. Doesn't really compare to Man Killing Hector, Twisty-Minded Odysseus, or Lion-Hearted Achilles.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Thank mr skeltal and keep going, we don't need no hints

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Robbing the dead is probably a shame hit. Proceed on the adventure.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
On we go, with the dead remaining in peace. Possibly also in pieces, our skeletal friend doesn't look to be in the best of condition.

277 posted:

You come at last to the town of Epidaurus. You look around in amazement at the crowded streets. Unfamiliar faces push past you and crush you against the high-towered walls. No one stops or notices you, and they all seem miserable, as if abandoned by the gods. Eventually courage builds itself in your mind, and you seek to converse with a high-born lady. She ignores you with a contemptuous glance. Almost in despair, you seize a passer-by, and shake his arm. 'Friend,' you say, 'where is the inn? Why is the town so afflicted? Is Olympian Zeus angry with its people? Do the harpies visit your feast-tables, laden with the fruits of the earth?'

Our hero has something of a flair for the dramatic, it seems. He was also referencing a specific bit of Greek mythology:

Smiling Knight posted:

King Phineus had the gift of prophecy, but blabbed too much about the future, and so was cursed by the gods to be plagued with harpies. Every time he tried to eat, a flock of harpies would appear and steal/vomit on/poo poo on the food. He was trapped in this torment for years, until finally some flying sons of the wind gods chased the harpies away for good.

Thanks again, Smiling Knight! The Greek gods are certainly good at coming up with interesting punishment ideas.

277 posted:

277 contd.

The man only shakes his head and points lamely ahead. You look and see a scruffy tavern. You turn to question the man, but he has scurried off. Resigned, you walk towards the small, squat building. The steps are unwashed, and the windows are caked with dirt. A sign above the door tells you that it is indeed a place where you can find a room for the night.

Do you go in (go to 36)?
Or do you go away (go to 341)?

I'll move us on to 341, for reasons you'll see in a moment:

341 posted:

Leaving the tavern behind, you wander around the town, searching for a more respectable place to stay the night. You find several hostels, but they seem to be full. Eventually, you are forced to realize that you will either have to return to the first tavern (go to 36) or you must sleep in the street (go to 255)

Yeah, not an entirely fake choice, but might as well skip past it to move things along a bit faster. We'll end up at the same point regardless if we choose to stay at the inn, after all.

It doesn't seem like Asclepius is having a great time of it, with his town in a state like this. I can't imagine a god of medicine being especially pleased about his town being filthy.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

quote:

Do the harpies visit your feast-tables, laden with the fruits of the earth?'

King Phineus had the gift of prophecy, but blabbed too much about the future, and so was cursed by the gods to be plagued with harpies. Every time he tried to eat, a flock of harpies would appear and steal/vomit on/poo poo on the food. He was trapped in this torment for years, until finally some flying sons of the wind gods chased the harpies away for good.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011

On we go, with the dead remaining in peace. Possibly also in pieces, our skeletal friend doesn't look to be in the best of condition.

Oh no, I think we would have been give a choice to properly bury him, as his soul is now tormented to never leave for Hades. It seems to me that he wasn't given a proper burial rites, and as far as I know in ancient Greece, if you find a body that was certainly left to rot, you could just put some dirt on it to properly bury it. Also, you would need to recite some chants while doing it.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It's got to be better than the last tavern, right? Go in.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Go in.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
If anyone played that old flash game Swords and Sandals, you might remember that sleeping in the street presented the very real chance of having all your money stolen and (iirc) getting shanked in the night. I imagine that's less likely in some dirty old tavern.
Go in.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Smiling Knight posted:

Thanks, again! That'll be going in the previous post.

Lacedaemonius posted:

If anyone played that old flash game Swords and Sandals, you might remember that sleeping in the street presented the very real chance of having all your money stolen and (iirc) getting shanked in the night. I imagine that's less likely in some dirty old tavern.
Go in.

Pretty good logic. I don't think it's exactly spoilery to say that sleeping in the street is rarely, if ever, a fantastic choice when we have other options available. Not to say that it's always necessarily safer to stay at an inn, but sleeping on the streets generally isn't a pleasant experience.

36 posted:

Inside, it is worse than even the wretched exterior suggested. There is a powerful smell of rotting food and unwashed locals. Despite being nearly overcome by nausea, you step up to the bar.

'Innkeeper,' you shout, 'a room for the night!'

At the far end of the bar the innkeeper, a grossly fat, cowardly looking man, continues to ignore you. Beside you an old man, with bare feet, speaks.

'Son, if I were you, I would leave at once, for Epidaurus is beset by foul bandits, terrorizing the temple of ASclepius the healer. Go quickly, for they will likely kill strangers, or, perhaps, since you hold yourself as a hero, you could rid our town of this curse,' he adds, with sarcasm heavy in his voice.

The innkeeper has now come over, and proffers you a key to an upstairs room.

Do you pay him and take the key to the room, going upstairs for long-fingered Sleep to brush closed your weary eyelids (go to 199)?

Or do you react to the old man's taunt at once, and seek the bandits (go to 508)?

So far, seems we're 2 for 2 on absolutely lovely inns. One run by a murderer, one just... awful. In any case, choose well: Should we go hero-ing now, or take a refreshing nap first?

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 29, 2015

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Make way evil, HERO coming through! Go seek the bandits. I've played Skryim enough to know they'll be auto levelled to our level.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

What kind of a hero would we be if we didn't rush headfirst into danger? We should probably equip that axe too.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Adventure's not going to find us! Oh, and listen to crab. Without him we would be plunging headfirst into danger completely axe-less.

Smiling Knight posted:

King Phineus had the gift of prophecy, but blabbed too much about the future, and so was cursed by the gods to be plagued with harpies.

funnier if you replace "harpies" with "herpes", hth

theshim
May 1, 2012

Comstar posted:

Make way evil, HERO coming through! Go seek the bandits. I've played Skryim enough to know they'll be auto levelled to our level.
Go for the eyes, Altheus, go for the eyes! :black101:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Axe in hand, we press onwards, to heroism!

508 posted:

You are travelling along a road, deeply rutted by the carts of pilgrims bringing sick ones or gifts to the temple of the healer. Beside the road the trees and bushes rustle menacingly. The wind whips up spirals of dust from the track, which further obscure the way ahead. Go to 20

Okay, we proceed towards being ominously rustled at, at the very least. Are we rustled enough to take a hint, though?

Character Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 5) = 9
Protection: 11( -3) = 8

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)

Deities
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

theshim
May 1, 2012

No need for a hint here, press on!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Hint

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wait. We are walking into an Ambush? Take the hint.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Take the hint.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
We are indeed rustled by rustling, it seems! Clearly we're about to eat a shame penalty for being a wu-

528 posted:

As the path narrows, the rustling of the trees seems less natural. You dive into the undergrowth and, as you creep stealthily, you find that your fears are well founded, for two swarthy-looking men armed with long knives lie in wait for unwary passers by.

Do you challenge them to fight (go to 462), or do you simply attack them without warning (go to 221)?

Or not. Huh. Taking a hint is definitely not a foregone 'yeah you're going to get hosed over' - we may have even skipped past some beneficial ones already.

In any case, are we honourable but possibly a bit dim? Or should we take advantage?

I haven't mentioned this yet, but we are at a significant disadvantage in multi-person combat. Each additional person in a fight gives a +1 Might bonus to whoever you're currently fighting, and you have to fight each sequentially with no healing in between. You don't even keep initiative when one person goes down. In a two-on-one fight like this, there's a very real chance of us dying - but at the same time, it's possible that being less-than-heroic might screw us over in future. At times like this, ask yourself; what would Athena do? (no change, but just posting our sheet for reference)

Character Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 5) = 9
Protection: 11 ( - 3) = 8

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)

Deities
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

Edit, also, quick question: How's the pace of this thing so far? Should I cut the minimum three votes per action down to two, or are things okay as-is?

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 30, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Athena would do the smart thing and ambush those villains! There's a thin line between heroic and suicidal, and I'd prefer to take whatever chance we can get.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Athena would do the smart thing and ambush those villains! There's a thin line between heroic and suicidal, and I'd prefer to take whatever chance we can get.

This is the smart thing to do. It's also almost certainly the shameful thing to do as well, so I can't advocate it because of this honorbound bullshit (even though Athena totally would). We've got the better weapon, let's challenge them!

E:

Edit, also, quick question: How's the pace of this thing so far? Should I cut the minimum three votes per action down to two, or are things okay as-is?
I don't why you're in such a dang hurry. Hell, I wouldn't mind if things slowed down, I can barely keep up as is and I'm on my computer just about 16/7.

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 30, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, we'd better challenge.

I'm happy with the pace as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Challange

• Locked thread