Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Challenge it is! Also, in somewhat good news, my physical copy of this book finally arrived. I lost the original a long time ago, and had been going off the PDF, which had a misprint; I couldn't remember if the misprint was unique to the PDF or what, so I ordered a copy of the book to find out.

Turns out it totally is, so we dodged a potential bullet there!

462 posted:

The two bandits have might 4, Protection 10, but carry long knives (Might 2, protection 0). Remember the bonus to the first bandit's Might, because he has one companion (his Might is 7: 4 + 2 + 1)

If they are Seriously Wounded, go to 600

If you surrender, go to 374

If you die and are saved by Zeus, go to 536.

If you retreat, go to 536.

Oh boy, this isn't a great situation. With our somewhat lacking protection, the first guy hits us on anything but an automatic miss, and the second isn't going to have much trouble either. Fighting here might mean burning through a lot of honour, and even then, victory is far from assured.

Should we attempt to flee? Or, if we battle, should it be to the death, or surrendering when our health is low?

Our own stats, for reference:

Character Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 5) = 9
Protection: 11 ( - 3) = 8
Honour: 11
Shame: 3

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)

Deities
Patron: Athena
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem
Zeus prayer still intact. (for now!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Death

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Fight, amicable Altheus! For everlasting death!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Welp, it's only 2 votes, but in the interest of keeping things moving, I'm going with the thus-far unanimous decision. Time to be less than Amicable!

Man, we need a good battlecry. 'Wisdom for the Wisdom God!' doesn't really have much of a ring to it.

462 posted:

The two bandits have might 4, Protection 10, but carry long knives (Might 2, protection 0). Remember the bonus to the first bandit's Might, because he has one companion (his Might is 7: 4 + 2 + 1)

If they are Seriously Wounded, go to 600

If you surrender, go to 374

If you die and are saved by Zeus, go to 536.

If you retreat, go to 536.

Altheus:

Wounds: Healthy
Might: 4 + 5 = 9
Protection: 11 - 3 = 8

Bandit 1:

Might: 4 + 2 + 1 = 7
Protection: 10

Bandit 2:

Might: 4 + 2 = 6
Protection: 10

Round 1!

Altheus: 5 + 5 + 9 = 19. Bandit is hit, and becomes wounded.
Bandit 1 : 2 + 6 + 7 = 15. Altheus is hit, and becomes wounded.

Round 2!

Altheus: 5 + 4 + 9 = 18. Bandit is hit, and becomes Seriously Wounded. He withdraws from combat.

Altheus burns 6 honour (the average of 2d6 + 6 = 13, this puts us at 14, so on average, we should come out okay.)
Honour Remaining: 5

Bandit 2: 6 + 1 + 6 = 13. Altheus' dodges through the power of honour! Somehow!

Round 3!

Altheus: 5 + 6 + 9 = 20. Bandit 2 is hit, and becomes wounded.

I don't burn honour. We have a pretty good chance of hitting even with just 1d6 + our strength, so even if we're Seriously Wounded, we should be fine.

Bandit 2: 1 + 2 + 6 = 9. Altheus remains Wounded; a roll of 2-3 is an automatic miss.

My stinginess pays off even better than expected!

Round 4!

Altheus: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15. Bandit two is hit, and becomes Seriously Wounded, withdrawing from the fight.

Despite my doubts, we actually win! Man, I probably didn't even need to burn that honour mid-battle. Eesh. Was not expecting them to roll an auto-miss, but what's done is done! It's sometimes tough to know when to burn honour and when not to; with the way you burn it before attacks are made, saving it for when you're seriously wounded is a huge risk, because a bit of bad luck means you're dead. This does illustrate my issue with this system of combat, there's no real way for Altheus to have much health. You're always a few bad rolls away from death! It keeps things tense, if nothing else.

Anyway, to us, the spoils! On to 600!

600 posted:

'We will never surrender,' says the leader, and as he does, they impale themselves on their knives. You may have 5 Honour points (new total: 10), and you carry on towards the temple, wondering at the ways of men. Go to 216.

Note that, despite not being explicitly stated here, the base rules of the gamebook state we can take weapons and armour from our fallen foes. Also, while it mentions that we can only carry one spare set of armour, it doesn't mention any such restrictions on weapons, so we can grab a Long Knife (might 2, protection 0) here; much less impressive than our axe, but also less likely to get us killed. The choice is yours as to which we wield! The choice is yours as to whether we want to take a hint here or not, too.

Either way, I think this shows off the game's combat system a little better than Procrustes did. He was a bit of a pushover.

Character Sheet posted:

Honour: 10
Shame: 3

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife(+2, 0)

Deities
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 30, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Man. We didn't die!

Go to 216.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Take the hint to loot the bodies bury them with respect?.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

100percentjesusfree posted:

Man, we need a good battlecry. 'Wisdom for the Wisdom God!' doesn't really have much of a ring to it.
How about "War for the War Goddess!"? I don't see why we can't just use that. As for weapons it seems like the best choice is highly situational, so why don't we just decide each time we go into combat?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm okay with taking a hint here, though I'm suspicious of this book now and maybe all that'll happen is our hero will accidentally defile the bodies and take another shame hit or something.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The traditional battle-cry of Athena's worshippers is "Alalalala!", an ululation supposed to sound like owls.

EDIT: But yeah, sure, let's try the hint.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Ghostwoods posted:

The traditional battle-cry of Athena's worshippers is "Alalalala!", an ululation supposed to sound like owls.

EDIT: But yeah, sure, let's try the hint.

If only she granted the power to turn your head 180 degrees, too. It'd be neat at parties, at the very least.

Anyway, hint! Let's hope the authors didn't decide to be assh-

620 posted:

Kindly wonder at the ways of men in private, and don't bother the gods. Their death is enough. Have 1 shame point and go to 216.

:psyduck: what!?

I swear there are good hints. Just a shame Athena doesn't protect us from the worst of the poo poo ones, of which there are entirely too many. Anyway, with our newfound point of shame for... absolutely nothing, really, we move on.

216 posted:

A mountain lion roars in the distance, and you hurry onwards, anxious to accomplish the task. The temple is much closer now, and you can see a statue of the god, its face convulsed, as if in mortal pain. The fountain of Asclepius flows red with blood.

Amazed at this sacrilege, your limbs tremble, and you are filled wiht a divine fury. Onwards you rush itno the temple precinct, bellowing strange words as you go, words which come from the gods, like a boar, speared in the frenzied chase, cries out its defiance against the high-hearted hunters: 'Desecrating curs, the god will punish you for your pitiful pride, thinking that you could defile his temple and escape the price.'

At this, two bandits step ofrward from the gloom, where once Asclepius' light shone, saying nothing; you know you must retreat or fight.

If you attempt to retreat now (you may not do so later), go to 145.

If you attack, go to 388

Welp, looks like another two-on-one situation, with bandits once again. Should we handle it the same way, and fight? Try to run away? (Feel free to suggest whether you'd prefer to see us fight to the death, or surrender if the chance comes up, too, along with a suggestion for what weapon to take into the fight. If no one comments, I'll just keep our axe.

We do need to be careful, we've racked up a good few Shame points already, and while we won't die in combat from Shame exceeding Honour, there's nothing to say it won't become a fatal problem once the fight is over.

Character Sheet posted:

Honour: 10
Shame: 4

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)

Deities
Favoured:
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 31, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hahaha gently caress, why. :suicide:

That axe was kind of risky in two-on-one combat, so use the long knife, and fight!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

The last time turned out all right, let's do it again!

Fight with the long knife, to the DEATH.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Long knife fight, to the DEATH!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Knife fight! ALALALALALALALALALALA!

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Hooting like some kind of deranged owl, we charge into combat, knife in hand!

388 posted:

You step into the attack. The bandits have basic Might 4, Protection 10, but are armed with greaves (Might 0, Protection 1) and Long Knives (Might 2, Protection 0) making might 6, Protection 11 (but Might 7 for the first bandit). They will continue fighting even if Seriously Wounded, fired on by fear of the god. Remember that you may not retreat as the temple is too enclosed.

If you surrender, go to 422.
If you are victorious, go to 163.
If you die and are saved by Zeus, you find yourself, when you recover, at 536.

...Well then. This isn't going to be pleasant We have to inflict 8 Wounds, while receiving 4 or less, against people with equal or better stats.

Fortunately, we have the power of Honour! Whether we'll have any left at the end of this fight is another matter entirely.

Altheus:

Might: 6
Protection: 11

Bandit 1:

Might: 7

Bandit 2:

Might: 6

Round 1

Altheus: 6 + 4 + 6 = 16. We're off to a good start, bandit 1 is Wounded.

Spend 3 points of Honour to put us at 14, with similar logic to before, albeit with me being a little stingy because we don't have a huge pool. This leaves us with 7 honour remaining.

Bandit 1 : 4 + 2 + 7 = 13. The bandit misses due to our honour expenditure! Altheus remains healthy.

Round 2

Altheus: 5 + 4 + 6 = 15. The bandit is Seriously Wounded. He now only rolls one die to hit.

Bandit 1: 1 + 7 = 8. He misses again!

Round 3

Altheus: 2 + 3 + 6 = 11. We just hit, the first bandit is dead.

We have a bit of leeway, thanks to lucky rolls. so I don't blow any honour for now, hoping for some bad rolls on the bandit's part.

Bandit 2: 1 + 2 + 6 = 9 My faith in Athena/The heart of the cards dice is rewarded with the bandit rolling an auto-miss!

Round 4

Altheus: 4 + 1 + 6 = 11. The bandit is wounded.

Once again, no honour expenditure. We can hopefully just about get by...

Bandit 2: 5 + 5 + 6 = 16. Altheus is wounded.

Nuts.

Round 5

Altheus: 5 + 2 + 6 = 13. The bandit is Seriously Wounded. He only rolls one dice, we're not far off now. Surely we don't need to spend any honour here...

Bandit 2: 5 + 6 = 11. Ah. Crap. Altheus takes the hit, and is seriously wounded.

Round 6

I spend some honour here. 2 more points of honour means we have a good chance of hitting! Unfortunately, it also means we have only 5 honour remaining. We're one point away from suicide!

Altheus: 4 + 8 = 12. The bandit is dead. Fortunately, we win!

Enemies that battle to the death are a pain in the neck. We just about pulled it off, though, somehow!

163 posted:

As the second strong-greaved foeman falls, you see the fountain flowing in healing water once more, clear and sparkling with the god's favour. The face of the statue, no longer twisted, smiles and seems to look at you in thanks. You are clearly now a Favoured one of Asclepius (note this on your Chronicle sheet). You may also have 6 honour points for your victory in combat. Go to 536.

We... we totally did it. We won, we get to steal some greaves, Asclepius is pleased with us, AND we made a (minuscule) profit in Honour. We also beat four guys in decidedly unfair fights, and, last but not least, we have a chance to take a Hint here. We got screwed by the last one, so it should balance out to be something great, right? Either way, things are looking up for Amicable Altheus.

Chronicle Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 2) = 6
Protection: 11 ( +1 ) = 12
Honour: 11

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)

Greaves (+0, +1)

Deities
Favoured: Asclepius
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 31, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

At this rate, I'm fully expecting taking a hint to result in Altheus pissing in the healing fountain or something for no reason before committing honorable Greek seppuku, which is why we should take a hint.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
take a hint
This ought to be fun.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jesenjin posted:

take a hint
This ought to be fun.

!!FUN!!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

At this rate, I'm fully expecting taking a hint to result in Altheus pissing in the healing fountain or something for no reason before committing honorable Greek seppuku, which is why we should take a hint.

I'm still trying to wrap my head about the two shame hit from executing the xenia-violating mass murderer.

I mean, ok, the book did warn us that we'd get penalized if we tried anything that a musclehead from mythological Greece couldn't possibly know how to do, and that includes thinking, but it is getting kinda maybe a little a lot ridicolous.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Hint it is! Brace for Altheus to ruin everything, gain a thousand shame points, and get smote by Zeus for daring to take advantage of the features of the books!

183 posted:

You should drink from the fountain of the healer god. If you do drink, then for the next combat only, the god will aid you. Instead of being Wounded when an opponent hits you in combat the first time, you wil lremain Healthy. Only the second hit will move you to Wounded, and so on. Go to 536 to continue your journey.

...or not. This sort of illustrates one reason Apollo is such a great god; some of the hints are absolutely spectacular, but it can be hard to justify taking advantage of them, knowing a nasty Shame penalty can be lurking just around the corner. Either way, this is fantastic! We have a huge advantage against whatever poor sap fights us next. Bit of a shame we can't choose when to use it, but hey, it's free.

536 posted:

The sun, saffron-robed, has climbed high above you to your left, and now begins her long descnet, as you come ot the River Cleonae, its waters reflecting her life-giving rays. In the distance you see Cleonae itself, and woods wreathe the banks and the way to the town.

The deep-whirling river is spring-swollen with the melting snow from the mountains, and a shallow ford is the only crossing. An aged crone stands despairing, unable to cross, staring at the muddy waters. 'Pity me,' she pleads, 'for I am old and weak. If you would carry me, I could cross the river. Otherwise I must stay here and stony-hearted Hunger will take me, and it will be you who has killed me.'

Do you attack the woman, and beat stony-hearted Hunger to it? (go to 444)

Do you throw her in the river and tell her to go swim (go to 76)?

You could cross the river without her (go to 509).

Or you could carry her across the river (go to 316)

I know beggars can get a bit passive-aggressive, but this lady takes the cake. All the same, my reaction to these choices remains the same as it was the first time I read these books:

Haha, what? I've not played too many gamebooks, but I can't think of any others that allow us to be quite the level of spectacular rear end in a top hat that's offered up here.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Since we had such a great time with hints so far,
I am all for the hint before act.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Jesenjin posted:

Since we had such a great time with hints so far,
I am all for the hint before act.

There's no hint on this page.

Help the old woman across. This is exactly the sort of situation where refusing to help gets you divine punishment and/or being eaten by bears.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. If we're going to be perpetually (near)shameful murderers using axes and long knives we should look the part. Let's go back to the temple, cut off one of the defiler's faces and wear it as a mask. Then if the lady still wants a ride we can carry her across.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So not only are we not-Theseus, we're not-Jason now, too? Better carry that old lady across, she might turn out to be a god or something! :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I SO want to throw that old hag in the water, because that's what ancient Greek Heroes DO, but we will nice and carry her across. And I bet you she will complain the entire time.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So not only are we not-Theseus, we're not-Jason now, too? Better carry that old lady across, she might turn out to be a god or something! :v:

I think, in the initial draft of the OP, I described this series as being basically greek mythology fanfiction. I took it out because it felt a bit harsh, but uh... it does kind of fit, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, no hint, so no nonstandard actions (and that means no face-stealing, alas.) We CAN do some carrying, though!

316 posted:

You pick the woman up and carry her into the water. The current is strong, but you find yourself pushing ahead quickly against it. Soon you are approaching the other bank, and the crone speaks, but her appearance is altered, and now you recognize her as Hera, the divine queen.

'Altheus,' she cries above the rush of the water, 'you have done well. Although you did not recognize me, you have done me a favour.' If Hera is your patron, go to 584. Otherwise, go to 60.

GASP, WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED? Also, yes, this does mean the book offered us the choice of trying to murder a goddess, or toss her into the water, for no real reason.

If Hera was our patron, we would get a fantastic reward here, in the form of a free prayer to Zeus, albeit one you can only use to bring you back from the dead.

She's not, though, so to 60!

60 posted:

You are in Favour with Hera. You may have 2 Honour points. Go to 294

Honestly? Also a pretty great reward, Free Honour is always nice, and having another god who likes us is could come in handy.

294 posted:

You struggle across the rest of the river, your tired legs shaking with the cold. You hear something drop in the churning water; perhaps you have dislodged a pebble. At length, you struggle up the other bank. Go to 417.

Altheus is quick to write off mysterious splashing sounds, and we have a choice here; Hint or no?

Here's how our sheet's looking so far; we're definitely doing rather well for ourselves.

Chronicle Sheet posted:

Might: 4 ( + 2) = 6
Protection: 11 ( +1 ) = 12
Honour: 13

Equipment

Club (+1, +0)
Axe (+5, -3)
Long Knife (+2, +0)

Greaves (+0, +1)

Deities
Favoured: Asclepius, Hera
Disfavour:

Inventory

Mother's Gem

Also:

Smiling Knight posted:

Hyper Crab Tank here is alludingto the myth of Jason, who on the way to reclaim his father's kingdom helps a random old woman across a river. Surprise, it's Hera! Also, he loses a sandal in the process, fulfilling another prophecy.

Well, we did hear a mysterious splash; perhaps we lost something of our own? This whole section seems like a (rather blatant) shout-out to that particular myth, really. Either way, thanks again!

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 1, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hyper Crab Tank here is alludingto the myth of Jason, who on the way to reclaim his father's kingdom helps a random old woman across a river. Surprise, it's Hera! Also, he loses a sandal in the process, fulfilling another prophecy.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Smiling Knight posted:

Also, he loses a sandal in the process, fulfilling another prophecy.

I'm betting that's what that splash was. Hint it up to make sure.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, a hint seems appropriate.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hint to make sure we didn't drop our mom's jewelry.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm betting we'll lose something that we wouldn't have if we didn't take the hint.

Hint anyway.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Take the hint we just lost something important.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

314 posted:

You have dropped the jewel; this is what made the splash. You feel around and, after a time, you find it and put it back in the pocket of your tunic. You continue on to the town of Cleonae and find an inn. Go to 266.

Good call, thread! We managed to lose far worse than a sandal, though it fortunately doesn't stay lost, now.

266 posted:

The innkeeper welcomes you in when you knock, smiles and beckons you towards a room. You choose to have a meal first, and retire, contented, to a good night's rest. In the morning you eat a hearty breakfast, and carry on out of the town. Go to 3

We even finally managed to find an inn that isn't complete poo poo! Will wonders never cease?

3 posted:

The sun, now well above your home far off in Troezen, throws gentle light down on the earth below. Its warming rays play on the leaf-filled trees. The way out of Cleonae climbs gently to the crest of the foothills. Your legs, now fresh and eager for the journey, make light work of the ascent. As you reach the top, you gasp at the panorama below. To your left the Gulf of Corinth opens out in a vast expanse of wine-dark water. At the foot of the hills to the right is little Cenchrea, sister of Corinth, as the moon is of the sun. Beyond the harbour the Saronic Gulf reaches out almost to Athens, city ofo the owl-eyed goddess. Between the waters of Isthmus links the Isle of Pelops with the wilder lands beyond. You ponder your choice between bustling Corinth (go to 152), and quiet seafaring Cenchraea (go to 589)

No hints or anything here, we just have to decide where we want to go. Here's the hilariously over-crowded map once again, but make your choice, thread; does Altheus seek out the more busy, bustling town, or head somewhere a little quieter?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Well, we're going to Athens, aren't we? Corinth is in the other direction, so Cenchraea it is.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Well, we're going to Athens, aren't we? Corinth is in the other direction, so Cenchraea it is.

I like the way you're thinking. +1

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Athens is great, but we need to see the world first.
I am for Corinth.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Corinth is a cool place.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
It was close, but seems Cenchraea won out!

589 posted:

You descend, taking the right-hand path down towards Cenchraea. Only the sound of birdsong disturbs the silence of your journey. Away in the gulf a merchant ship plies its way towards the port, carrying cloths dyed in Tyrian purple to the rich men of the twon. As you reach the outermost edge of the town, you see that the merchantman has reached the harbour, and is unloading its goods on the warf. A crowd of people has gathered close to the ship, eager for passage to the great city of Athens.

Do you join them and try to shorten your journey by taking the sea-route to Athens (go to 68)?

Or do you choose to take the overland route (go to 455)

Well, your choice again thread! Shall we risk a sea voyage? Poseidon isn't pissed at us or anything, but we're not in his good graces, either. Alternatively, we can just continue on the way we've been going so far, on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

100percentjesusfree posted:

Well, your choice again thread! Shall we risk a sea voyage? Poseidon isn't pissed at us or anything, but we're not in his good graces, either. Alternatively, we can just continue on the way we've been going so far, on foot.

I've never heard of anything good happening taking the road more traveled. Keep walking.

• Locked thread