Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

jm20 posted:

Prior to outright repealing C-51, which should happen, there should be made a report that outlines the number of events prevented, and whether or not the information gathered under c-51 as being the root cause for that preventative action. Blackout the events all you want, I want to see concrete examples and numbers made public as to the efficacy of the blanket charter abuse to date.

I know you're not this naive but drat is it ever cute when people think partisan politicians actually give a poo poo what policy analysts say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Poizen Jam posted:

I know you're not this naive but drat is it ever cute when people think partisan politicians actually give a poo poo what policy analysts say.

I have a dream where politicians are actually out to empower the citizens that elect them.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The cf and the mounties are literally the most beta low t hairdressers afforded the privilege of carrying guns in the g7

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Toronto is leaking on the rest of the province again.

http://business.financialpost.com/p...nd-transfer-tax

quote:

The province is set to give all municipalities the right to double the amount of land transfer tax you'll pay on your next real estate deal.

Industry insiders say they've been told the government will amend the Municipal Act to allow all municipalities to set their own municipal land transfer tax (MLTT).

Right now, only the City of Toronto is allowed to levy its own MLTT. It doubles the tax paid by buyers in all residential real estate deals.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Cultural Imperial posted:

The cf and the mounties are literally the most beta low t hairdressers afforded the privilege of carrying guns in the g7

What about Canada Border Services

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Land Transfer Tax is a good policy.

Even if it wasn't, you yokels forced Harris on us twice and wrecked our beautiful Metro government with MegaCity, so now you get to enjoy the political equivalent of having a warm bucket of piss slowly dumped over your head by a government that actively disdains you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Taxs cars and houses more, and even better, tax cars being used as houses or houses that can be towed by cars doubly.

Don't even get me started on boats, airplanes, dirigibles, submersibles and spacecraft.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The Land Transfer Tax is a good policy.

Even if it wasn't, you yokels forced Harris on us twice and wrecked our beautiful Metro government with MegaCity, so now you get to enjoy the political equivalent of having a warm bucket of piss slowly dumped over your head by a government that actively disdains you.

Well excuuuse us for believing a school teacher could do a good job. Joke's on you though, rural people move into a place and never leave. It's city people who move into a 700 sq ft condo and then realize they can't raise a kid there so they buy a townhouse and then the house is too small and crime too high and he gets a promotion so they move again out to the suburbs.

I think municipal land transfer tax is dumb because they already have municipal property tax. If they need more, just raise that and tax everybody, why the extra tax on people who are moving? People generally don't move houses just for fun, it isn't a consumption tax. You also raise the barrier to new homebuyers aka potential property tax payers. And it's an extra tax on seniors downgrading and makes them more likely to stay in their home forever so you plebes never get to buy them and are forced to rent or live in the suburbs oh now I like this tax.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I could live with a land transfer tax that lowers with consecutive years of ownership and scales with number of properties owned by the seller and/or sold by them in recent years but seriously gently caress house flippers. Oh, like the worthless realtor who recommended herself to an elderly neighbour, then bought the house herself at a neat discount from the market rate as a favour :rolleye:.

e2: oh god the argument about lost revenues from subsequent renovation spending, it's too much.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

Well excuuuse us for believing a school teacher could do a good job. Joke's on you though, rural people move into a place and never leave. It's city people who move into a 700 sq ft condo and then realize they can't raise a kid there so they buy a townhouse and then the house is too small and crime too high and he gets a promotion so they move again out to the suburbs.

I think municipal land transfer tax is dumb because they already have municipal property tax. If they need more, just raise that and tax everybody, why the extra tax on people who are moving? People generally don't move houses just for fun, it isn't a consumption tax. You also raise the barrier to new homebuyers aka potential property tax payers. And it's an extra tax on seniors downgrading and makes them more likely to stay in their home forever so you plebes never get to buy them and are forced to rent or live in the suburbs oh now I like this tax.

Anything that actively depresses house flippers and real estate speculating is good policy imo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I don't know much about flipping, other than that my... I guess uncle-in-law, if that's even a thing, does it for a living. Is it contributing to unreasonable property values/gentrification/the housing bubble in some way? I didn't think it was common enough to be a Thing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

jfood posted:

Protectorate of Kwan: poo poo representation, but now my riding is 100% ghost free!

Speaking of the Protectorate of Kwan, the Liberals had their best showing since 2000 in Van East.
code:
2015 Results
NDP			Jenny Kwan	29,316	49.9 %
Conservative		James Low	6,322	10.8 %
Liberal			Edward Wong	16,532	28.2 %
Green Party		Wes Regan	5,395	9.2 %

2011 Results
NDP			Libby Davies	27,794	62.83%
Conservative		Irene Yatco	8,361	18.90%
Liberal			Roma Ahi	4,382	9.91%	
Green			Douglas Roy	3,383	7.65%	
I wonder how much of that was from JT popularity and how much was from general demographic change toward the Liberals? The area is changing quite a bit, with West siders selling their houses and moving East, and Mount Pleasant being less of a centre for 20 something hipsters and more for 30 something silicon valley types.

The Liberals have never really tried in this riding, usually going with no name candidates that barely campaign. It'd be interesting to see what the results of this riding would have been had the Liberals put forward a star candidate. I wonder if they will next time.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-forces-ombudsman-to-review-canadian-rangers-program-1.3289755?cmp=rss

EXCLUSIVE
Canadian Forces ombudsman to review Canadian Rangers program

Review will take 6 to 9 months to complete and will look at entire northern patrol program

The Canadian Forces ombudsman will conduct a full review of the Canadian Rangers program, CBC News has learned, following stories about deaths among members of the military's northern patrol units.

The military ombudsman is finalizing the scope of the investigation, but it will include health care, fitness and the reporting of injuries.

li-nunavut-ranger-cp
Canadian Ranger Moses Kigusiutnak of Arviat, Nunavut, looks out at a bay near Resolute, Nunavut. The Canadian Forces ombudsman is launching a full review of the Canadian Ranger program. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Jamie Robertson, spokesman for the ombudsman's office, told CBC News the review is expected to be launched within the next 90 days and will take six to nine months to complete.

49 Canadian Rangers have died since January 2011
Canadian Rangers: A closer look at our 'eyes and ears' in the North
CBC News reported earlier this year that 49 Canadian Rangers and Junior Rangers have died since January 2011, a trend the military chaplain responsible for the North called "significant" and raised as a concern in a report for the chief of the defence staff and chief of military personnel in early 2014.

According to the Department of Defence, one of those 49 deaths was service related, while the rest can be attributed "to health and hazard issues common in the larger population of the communities in which they live — such as accidents like drowning and health-related causes like heart disease and diabetes."

The military noted that unlike regular Canadian Forces members, Rangers do not have a compulsory retirement age and therefore may be dying of natural causes.

The review of the Rangers comes as the ombudsman releases a series of investigations over the next few months that focus specifically on Canadian Forces reservists, the part-time soldiers who are called upon for domestic operations or to augment and support the military's regular force.

'Eyes and ears' of the North

The Canadian Rangers are part of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, but are not considered reservists. Generally they are part-time volunteers from the remote communities where they serve. Rangers are responsible for reporting unusual activities, collecting data to support military operations and conducting surveillance when required.

Canadian Rangers fire Lee-Enfield rifles
Members of the Canadian Rangers from Fort Resolution, N.W.T., fire their Lee-Enfield rifles. The Second World War era rifle is being replaced with a newer rifle being made by Colt Canada. (Combat Camera/Department of Defence)

They have been integral to Canada's Arctic sovereignty strategy and are often referred to as "the eyes and ears" of Canada's North.

Many of Canada's Rangers are aboriginal. They do not have the same access to services, including medical services, as regular Forces members and reservists — unless they are injured on active duty, in which case they would have access to benefits provided by the Canadian Forces.

The military has also been criticized for providing Rangers with decades-old weapons to use. The majority of the force is still carrying the Lee-Enfield rifle that dates back to when the organization was created in 1947. The military is in the process of providing newer rifles being made by Colt Canada.

There are currently about 5,000 Rangers who serve in more than 200 communities. The largest unit is the 1st Canadian Ranger Patrol Group, with 3,400 members. It covers Nunavut, Yukon, Northwest Territories and the community of Atlin, B.C., which make up about 40 per cent of Canada's land mass.

The program Harper wanted to significantly expand.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Anything that actively depresses house flippers and real estate speculating is good policy imo.

Has it done that in any meaningful way in Toronto?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look at this guy thinking mt pleasant is full of ~silicon valley types~

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That makes me sad because Canadian Rangers are hard as gently caress and very cool and UNBELIEVABLY good shots with those Lee-Enfields like holy gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jm20 posted:

Yea but what about 600k for stealth snowmobiles?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

"It produces dead natives AND lowers veterans affairs spending? Fund this."

-A former prime minister of Canada

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't know much about flipping, other than that my... I guess uncle-in-law, if that's even a thing, does it for a living. Is it contributing to unreasonable property values/gentrification/the housing bubble in some way? I didn't think it was common enough to be a Thing.

I think that it is a common enough dream among house owners that it might be loving up the markets to some degree. I've had many conversations with people who get misty-eyed talking about how this guy they know makes bank fixing up old houses, and how they would love to get into that sort of business as soon as they get their house all good and ready for the market in hopes of finally getting some startup capital.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

Has it done that in any meaningful way in Toronto?

If nothing else it's brought forth endless wailing and teeth gnashing from real estate agents, and that's good enough for me. Plus if you take their word for it, it's massively depressing the market, so either they're lying and it's fine, or it's keeping speculation and flipping down.

If the township of East-Bumblefuck can use the minor extra revenue to keep the main road in drive-able condition, or keep the library stocked and open an extra hour, then it's still a net good.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 2, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Block-chain fascist

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not a crypto-fascist: look at all these progressive things I overtly support.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Melian Dialogue posted:

What's a crypto-fascist exactly? Do I always ensure to use PGP when I send out my fascist newsletter? Is that it? Pretty weird of a fascist to have routinely voted NDP in the last three elections, and been a donations paying member for multiple years and volunteered for an election campaign for the same party.

You can espouse fascist views, support fascist legislation and actions of those in authority, and still donate to the NDP. The fact that you do those things might trigger some sort of cognitive dissonance, but it's not in itself impossible to do.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

The Liberals have never really tried in this riding, usually going with no name candidates that barely campaign. It'd be interesting to see what the results of this riding would have been had the Liberals put forward a star candidate. I wonder if they will next time.

Eventhough he was just a name for the ballot, Ed Wong did actually get out there and campaign. He'd be out on Commerical a couple of times a week, shaking hands and talking to folks. Not sure how much money was put behind him, but he made an effort and I think that counted a great deal.

I think it's a competitive seat, or can be when the incumbent retires anyway. Kwan does hit the identity politics trifecta though, so she's gonna be pretty hard to dislodge after this.

Shitheads calling themselves 'engineers' drinking $12 beers out of a jam jar, counting down the days 'til their jobs are outsourced to India is the 'Silicon Valley type'.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jfood posted:

Shitheads calling themselves 'engineers' drinking $12 beers out of a jam jar, counting down the days 'til their jobs are outsourced to India is the 'Silicon Valley type'.

Yeah, that's Liberty Village/New Parkdale, not Mt. Pleasant

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

infernal machines posted:

Liberty Village/New Parkdale

I have no loving clue what these words mean and I've lived here all my life.

Why can't you speak like a normal person?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 2, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wong benefited from the Liberals' nationwide surge. It still wasn't even close, Van East is the safest NDP seat by far.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 2, 2016

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Who's living in all the new apartments along Main/Scotia north of Broadway?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Melian Dialogue posted:

I still don't know what a crypto fascist is and how its different from a plain jane, white bread fascist.

Wikipedia posted:

Crypto-fascism is a pejorative term for the secret support for, or admiration of, fascism. The common usage is "crypto-fascist", one who practices this support. The term is used to imply that an individual or group keeps this support or admiration hidden to avoid political persecution or political suicide.

The term is largely credited to Gore Vidal. In a television interview during the chaos of the 1968 Democratic National Convention, Vidal described William F. Buckley, Jr. as a "crypto-Nazi", later correcting himself as meaning to say "crypto-fascist". However, the term had appeared five years earlier in a German language book by the sociologist Theodor W. Adorno, Der getreue Korrepetitor (The Faithful Répétiteur).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Melian Dialogue posted:

Its very easy to hand wave people aside by just calling them fascists when they disagree with you, just like those on the right who just handwave aside the "communists" on the left.

This is true, it's also easy to actually believe someone is a fascist when they support the absolute authority of the state, and repeatedly argue and defend that any form of dissent not state sanctioned can (and evidently should) be met with violence. Likewise if they argue that the charter-rights of Canadians can be invalidated, with nothing more than a toothless periodic review, if the security apparatus feels they have a reason to do so.

I mean we can go back to the pipeline protests and the actions of the RCMP, or the G20 and the actions of the police forces there, revisit the wheel'o'force and argue about why they're justified for cracking skulls over anything more than a strongly worded letter to the editor, but we've done that to death in previous threads. It might be easier if you just accept that you've got a bit of a chubby for authority, or at the very least that the positions you take and the justifications you make for them could lead people to that conclusion.

Edit: Admittedly this may just be a failure of vocabulary on my part, if you have someone who regularly argues, and presumably believes that the authority of the state is paramount over all other concerns, what would you call that?

Melian Dialogue posted:

It still makes me shudder that we have, with prob 90% certainty, have seen eachother on the street in real life since I live so close to him.

Is this where we learn that CI is actually your Tyler Durdenesque alter-ego?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 27, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Normy posted:

Who's living in all the new apartments along Main/Scotia north of Broadway?

Dumb people. In other words yoga instructors, baristas, marketers~, hootsuite employees

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Nuance is nothing

Ideology is everything

Obey your ideology

Canpol

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The only good use of the words 'crypto-fascist' was in that one episode of Red Dwarf. Everyone else saying it comes across as a giant fuckstick cuz they're not Lister.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MA-Horus posted:

That makes me sad because Canadian Rangers are hard as gently caress and very cool and UNBELIEVABLY good shots with those Lee-Enfields like holy gently caress

Dear gods this. Growing up, a friend of the family who was a retired Canadian Ranger helped teach me how to shoot, plus letting me shoot his Lee-Enfield(my first time ever firing a centerfire rifle). Dude had loving laser-like accuracy with the bloody thing until cancer got him. Giving them nice new rifles, instead of 70 year old rifles based on a century+ year old design? That's a pretty positive thing.

Then again, doing anything to help our desperately hosed military is probably a good thing at this point.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

jfood posted:

The only good use of the words 'crypto-fascist' was in that one episode of Red Dwarf. Everyone else saying it comes across as a giant fuckstick cuz they're not Lister.

Kryten is a model Canadian, a superficially polite and servile exterior masks incredible rage and pettiness.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

‘I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer’: Chris Alexander QQs about the campaign that cost him his job (w/ video)

“We’re still the party that sees reality as it is, doesn’t want to go on some hippy-trippy jaunt down memory lane and put marijuana in the windows of every store,” he said in an interview Tuesday on Ottawa’s Sparks Street.

“We’re trying to deal with the real issues that Canadians are facing. And we’ll continue to do that.”

The Liberals have promised to legalize and regulate pot but haven’t actually said it would be in the windows of every store.

And Alexander takes issue with the way his opponents characterized the Tories’ stance on immigrants and refugees, especially in the wake of a photo of three-year-old Syrian boy Alan Kurdi lifeless on a Turkish beach, which focused the world’s attention on a refugee crisis many feel Canada and other countries have failed to act on with urgency.

This scrutiny only increased when Kurdi’s Canadian aunt said she’d tried to get members of his family to Canada only to have them refused.

“I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer by other MPs and by people in the media. That was not pleasant.”

The Liberals and NDP took citizenship, immigration and refugee issues for “pretty unpleasant purposes,” Alexander charged.

“That’s the story that people insist on telling, that we are cold-hearted Conservatives, that we’ve never done the right thing. And it’s wrong,” said Alexander.

“We started bringing Syrian refugees to Canada on a large scale in January,” he said. “But nobody covered it. Somehow it became divisive that we hadn’t brought them all, by the middle of the campaign.”

Canada has resettled 2,500 Syrian refugees since 2013. Global News and other media organizations have been covering the issue extensively over the past two years.

Alexander predicts Liberal leader Justin Trudeau will have trouble following through on his promise to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year.

“Nothing’s impossible, but cost, safety, the operational standards for which Canada is renowned, are all issues,” he said.

“We have the best record in the world for refugee resettlement because we do it well. We meet certain standards. We check out who people are. We make sure human smugglers aren’t involved. We make sure identity theft isn’t involved. We make sure people are who they say they are. We make sure criminals don’t benefit from Canada’s generous refugee policies. When you start moving large numbers of people in short periods of time, all of that can be compromised.”

As Global News has reported, Canada doesn’t have the best record in the world on refugees, although we have taken in more than the United States. Advocates have argued there’s no reason Canada couldn’t bring in more people while maintaining security standards.

Alexander also takes issue with the campaign’s focus on new laws that gave him the authority to unilaterally strip dual citizens of their Canadian citizenship if they were found guilty of terrorism.

The Conservatives were accused of making it an election issue when they announced during the campaign their intention to strip the citizenship of people arrested on terror charges almost a decade ago. Justin Trudeau kept the issue in the headlines, repeating “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian” in his speeches and saying that the Conservative change was creating two classes of citizens – something that Alexander believes was a mischaracterization.

“Suddenly we ended up in a campaign talking about second-class citizens? That concept does not exist in Canadian law. It should not exist in public debate. We did not introduce it to the debate. When it was introduced by the party that’s now won the election, we didn’t counter it enough,” he said.

“We don’t have room in this country for poison like that :ironicat: and people deserve in an election to know what the law actually says, the protections they enjoy in this country, what opportunities they enjoy in this country compared to virtually every country in the world. But that failed to be communicated.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Congrats for not having any idea what you're taking about Chris Alexander.