Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Coolwhoami posted:

Even the rebel media commenters are seeing through Ezra's bullshit (emphasis mine):

Words about Harper wanting to stay in 24 Sussex despite the NCC saying it needs renovations to be properly habitable.

Karma/poetic justice/evil-minded schadenfreude would be someone in Harper's family diagnosed with lung cancer and/or mesothelioma. It's a terrible thing to wish upon someone, really, but it could happen.

Edit:

jm20 posted:

I think I get what you're saying. You want legal weed and are willing to pay more than tobacco taxes for that privledge.

It would still be cheaper than buying ounces off a dealer.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

Neither smoking nor drinking, nor illegal drug use in fact, is morally wrong. They are all amoral.

As soon as I saw the bit about increased sin taxes I wanted to pour out some whiskey for you. Then I rethought that because wasting booze is crazy.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Karma/poetic justice/evil-minded schadenfreude would be someone in Harper's family diagnosed with lung cancer and/or mesothelioma. It's a terrible thing to wish upon someone, really, but it could happen.

Undisturbed asbestos isn't harmful, for the most part, so if the building's insulation wasn't touched it's probably fine.

Having said that I would never allow my family to live in a building insulated with the stuff because it's not always clear when insulation has been impacted. The idea that renovating 24 Sussex is wasting tax payer money baffles me. Why wouldn't you want to take good care of buildings with national history?

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Baudin posted:

Undisturbed asbestos isn't harmful, for the most part, so if the building's insulation wasn't touched it's probably fine.

Having said that I would never allow my family to live in a building insulated with the stuff because it's not always clear when insulation has been impacted. The idea that renovating 24 Sussex is wasting tax payer money baffles me. Why wouldn't you want to take good care of buildings with national history?

Au contraire It's not just insulation. They used asbestos in drat near every type of building material: drywall, drywall mud, linoleum, paint, taping. Hell, Quebec still mines the stuff, I think.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

It's insane to me that people are getting their hackles up about 24 Sussex, even if it's only just the pundits. If the White House fell into disrepair it would be regarded as a source of national embarrassment.

The White House is the main workplace of the president, and it houses many executive functions. 10 Downing Street also acts as the HQ of the executive branch. 24 Sussex is merely the PM's official residence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lars Blitzer posted:

Au contraire It's not just insulation. They used asbestos in drat near every type of building material: drywall, drywall mud, linoleum, paint, taping. Hell, Quebec still mines the stuff, I think.

Yea, they mine the poo poo out of it and export it to India and other countries which have lovely safety codes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The rich are running scared.

quote:

Justin, no new taxes!

Rather than raising taxes on the affluent, Trudeau should cut taxes on the middle and lower class

If there is one plank in the Liberal economic platform that may make for good pre-election populist policy but is terrible economic policy, it is this goal of boosting top personal marginal tax rates to 33 per cent from 29 per cent.

When you tack on what the provincial Liberals are doing in Ontario at the same time, the top combined top marginal tax rate will go from 49.53 per cent in 2015 to 53.53 per cent in 2016 (including the Ontario surtax, a tax layered on top of a tax) — it has not been this high in nearly 30 years.

And the threshold is $200,000! The federal government is going to take this $3-billion tax grab from the high-end to pay for a $3-billion tax reduction for the lower- and middle-end household sector.

Let me be blunt. This is reckless economic policy.

Canada came off of a first-half economic contraction, the recovery we are seeing is fragile, as it is everywhere in the world.

There is no need to close any fiscal gap like there was in the early 1990s. There is no economic justification for raising taxes on anyone in the current fragile economic environment.

I mean, the last time we had a federal tax rate this high was back in 1987 when the code was changed and simplified.

The federal government in Canada does not have a fiscal problem to address nor does it have anywhere near the societal gaps that exist in the United States.

It is abundantly clear that last Monday’s vote was a referendum on the Harper regime, but it did not appear to me that the typical Canadian is yearning for anyone to face an extra tax bill.

Note: a poll from April of this year found that 64% of Canadians are willing to pay more taxes to protect social services and 83% of Canadians are in favour of raising taxes on the rich.

quote:

If this is a matter of “fairness,” then address it by cutting taxes even more for the lower- and middle-class than the feeble amounts being pledged — and Prime Minister Trudeau, you can borrow 30-year money at 2.25 per cent to fund that move in the bond market, without purposefully dampening the economy.

After all, there are a whole lot of retailers out there that rely on wealthy people’s spending behaviour.

It is nothing but a complete embarrassment for Canada to be risking being ranked as having the fifth highest top marginal tax rate out of 147 countries posted in Wikipedia at a time when we also have among the lowest government debt ratios.

Note: there is clearly no correlation between our high tax rates and our low government debt.

quote:

It makes no sense — research shows that taxing work above a 50 per cent top marginal rate means that people are going to be incentivized to work less, especially at that $200,000 threshold, which as I said above, is not exactly upper-class in many parts of the country. In Toronto, I would venture to say this level of income is distinctly middle-class (one example: the average price of a home in Toronto now tops one million dollars or five times (!) what the government considers the income cut-off to be between middle-class and all other tiers above that subjective threshold).

The proposed hike on those making more than $200,000 drains $3 billion annually from personal income that would ordinarily go to spending and creating jobs — instead it gets siphoned off into the coffers of a government that is already very close to a balanced budget as it is.

This is not the early 1990s when these top marginal rates were being boosted to prevent further erosion in our credit rating and cap the run up in market interest rates at the time.

That was a sacrifice aimed at preventing a fiscal crisis.

What is the point of this tax hike, outside of the fact that it will act as an unnecessary dampener on economic activity?

Of all the fiscal measures being contemplated, this is the one I am still scratching my head over.

The federal Liberal plan would take the top marginal rate in Ontario to the highest it has been since 1981, but back then in today’s dollars, the threshold exceeded $300,000, not $200,000.

So not only will the top rate move to levels that academic research has shown create major work disincentives, but the threshold is so low it defies explanation.

Basic economics, you tax something in this case it is income, and you risk getting less of it.

I am all for cutting taxes for the lower and middle class and even more should be done — but why do this while penalizing the most successful part of society, it’s a bit weird.

If Justin Trudeau stands for fairness, he will not play the role of Robin Hood; he will play the role of benefactor and simply cut tax rates at the lower- and middle-income classes and leave them for everyone else.

This also holds true for the infrastructure spending package — there is room for much more here.

The Liberals plan to finance this plan via deficits and that still takes the federal debt-to-GDP ratio down from 31 per cent now to 27 per cent by 2020. The government can actually run deficits of $24 billion per year out to 2020 and all that would do would leave the debt-to-GDP ratio at today’s level, which is still less than half the average for the OECD.

Roughly half of the proposed new spending is on infrastructure — more needs to be done, the fiscal flexibility is there to be even bolder without sacrificing the coveted “AAA” credit rating, and again, Ottawa can borrow 30-year money today at 2.25 per cent.

Trudeau, don’t fall into President Obama’s trap of coming into office and erring on the small-ball side when it comes to productivity enhancing investment — especially since most estimates that I have seen point to an infrastructure deficit exceeding $700 billion.

My advice is no new taxes on anyone. Use our fiscal flexibility with more authority and get more aggressive on the capital spending plan.

The cupboard is full — but is the willingness there?

David Rosenberg is Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc.’s chief economist and strategist.

I skimmed some of the article but I'm 90% sure he doesn't even mention the tax cut for slightly less wealthy people.

tl;dr: "Don't tax me bro!! :qq:" - a rich guy

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/justin-no-new-taxes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Neither smoking nor drinking, nor illegal drug use in fact, is morally wrong. They are all amoral.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Taxes like this are lovely.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

nice of notley to rack up 16 billion in debt for my province and then claim it will balanced after their term is over hmmm yes

though i am loling over the tabacco increase

:qq:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

nice of notley to rack up 16 billion in debt for my province and then claim it will balanced after their term is over hmmm yes

though i am loling over the tabacco increase

Did you also vote Harper?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
----

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 2, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously you guys unironically care about Canada's national history? lmao

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

Did you also vote Harper?

I voted for the guy who was going to balance the federal budget and reward job creators by reducing small business tax by 2%.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Melian Dialogue posted:

Wholeheartedly agree here, this is ultimate a subjective judgment call on trust in these institutions. Thus far, I have seen very little proof in past activities to warrant the need to be untrustworthy of CSIS or CSEC other than the halo effect from the United States' intelligence scandals. One will have to judge themselves I guess.

Well, arguably there's the RCMP's use of "dirty tricks" and "Mr. Big" tactics, the fact that the RCMP was so systemically corrupt that it necessitated the spinoff of CSIS. The fact that CSIS has already been observed operating outside its mandate by "disrupting" activities both in and out of Canada without explicit authorization to do so.

But yes, we'll have to see what shakes out of C-51 to truly judge its merrit.

Ikantski posted:

I voted for the guy who was going to balance the federal budget and reward job creators by reducing small business tax by 2%.

You godless commie

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cultural Imperial posted:

Seriously you guys unironically care about Canada's national history? lmao

Yea, some of it is pretty cool. It's okay to like stuff. Don't be all fuddy-duddy all the time man, life is neat.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Note: a poll from April of this year found that 64% of Canadians are willing to pay more taxes to protect social services and 83% of Canadians are in favour of raising taxes on the rich.

Note: there is clearly no correlation between our high tax rates and our low government debt.

I skimmed some of the article but I'm 90% sure he doesn't even mention the tax cut for slightly less wealthy people.

Oh no! Taxes will de-incentivize rich people from working more to make money they don't need?

Where will we find people to fill those lost man-hours of incredibly lucrative work?!? Doom! Doom I say!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ah yes the Canada heritage moments plus the fable about burning down the white house. Oh Canada true patriot love

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
If we can't trust Justin to keep his house in order how can we trust him to keep Canada in order?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ah yes the Canada heritage moments plus the fable about burning down the white house. Oh Canada true patriot love

I smell burnt toast!!!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You mean it isn't obvious we shouldn't be trusting a drama teacher to run this country

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Houses fix themselves guys just like budgets :smug:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I was gonna go with Mags getting bookended by a couple of the Stones in the guest bedroom, but Heritage Moments work too

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Has anybody actually complained about the cost to repair 24 Sussex?

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 2, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
One minor point, I'm at a bar watching baseball and can't fully rebut your post, but didn't the RCMP admit to bombing an oil well in Alberta to frame and bring charges against a farmer (who had a record of troublemaking and illegal activities) in aid if an oil producer he had been causing problems for back in the 90s? That's not 40 years ago, and if that doesn't fall under the umbrella of "dirty tricks" I don't know what would.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

One minor point, I'm at a bar watching baseball and can't fully rebut your post, but didn't the RCMP admit to bombing an oil well in Alberta to frame and bring charges against a farmer (who had a record of troublemaking and illegal activities) in aid if an oil producer he had been causing problems for back in the 90s? That's not 40 years ago, and if that doesn't fall under the umbrella of "dirty tricks" I don't know what would.

Indeed, 1999 wasn't 40 years ago last time I checked. Also it was a shed at the site, not the well itself.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All I need to know about the RCMP is that they're to brass are all a bunch of pathetic bitches who claimed ptsd because the last commissioner was a big meanie

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Why does anyone engage swagger on this. Any poster who has looked at a canpol thread in the last 6 months has seen him post the same thing over and over again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Somehow I'm not surprised that Harper left 24 Sussex in poor shape, all things considered

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

vyelkin posted:

Rich people are such whiny little shits. It's so loving obnoxious to hear one of these shitheads complain about how there's no point in working under a taxation scheme so oppressive that it leaves their hourly earnings at multiples of my own, let alone minimum wage workers. Can they just gently caress off already? We don't want you. Do it; go Galt. Go away.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Are you kidding me? All those high net worth people living in their million dollar crackhouses stuffed to the gills with old newspaper and garbage can't afford to go galt

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
"Why should I bother working once I reach a tax bracket that leaves my hourly earnings at a miserly $50/hr?"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

brucio posted:

Why does anyone engage swagger on this. Any poster who has looked at a canpol thread in the last 6 months has seen him post the same thing over and over again.

This thread gets way better if you have a couple of posters on ignore.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

brucio posted:

Because dissenting views help avoid discussing the merits of, and ideal method for jerking each other off.

I think his opinion of this legislation is at least misguided, but having to articulate why is important to forming a cogent opinion on the subject.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
yeah i mean that's totally why we should all watch fox news

to be cogent and poo poo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Martytoof posted:

Let's rename YYZ after Harper. After all it's not like Pearson did anything notable.

edit: Oh wait I misread, it's YYC. OK I don't care anymore.

As It Happens had the best drat one liner I've ever heard from them on this today: "If not the whole airport, at least the control tower."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to be cogent and poo poo

herpa derp. Whaddya mean my deeply held beliefs aren't universal?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

to be cogent and poo poo

I think a lot of people who poo poo on puerile stuff like this haven't actually attempted to criticize it for what it says (note: I do not like Fox News, and I am not saying you are doing this)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised that Harper left 24 Sussex in poor shape, all things considered

It's been an issue since before Harper, and the reason they leave it that way is because it looks bad when the PM is paying 10 million dollars to fix the house they live in. Good on Trudeau to risk lovely press to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

Because dissenting views help avoid discussing the merits of, and ideal method for jerking each other off.

I think his opinion of this legislation is at least misguided, but having to articulate why is important to forming a cogent opinion on the subject.

Opinions are fine as long as youre willing to debate them. Swagger is not open to debating anything, he shits out his god awful opinions on everything without any facts or reasoning and when confronted about it disappears for weeks in hopes that the topic has moved on.

PT6A, ikantski and bunny are all examples of good posters even though I rarely agree with them because they are always open for discussion.

Also ikantski, yes I would legitimately rather have Rod "Car Salesman" Jackson than a guy that literally worships Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney.