Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

I'm getting a second hand impression of both the public and private elder care systems in this province via some of my eldery relatives and the only conclusion I can reach is that death panels are very much a real thing in Canada.

Yeah don't watch the "marketplace" investigation on nursing homes in Canada unless you want to be depressed for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dreylad posted:

Personal Support Workers do what nurses used to do but are paid near minimum wage (I think they're mandated to be paid $18/hour in Ontario); neoliberalism rules.

On the flip side there's such a demand for them that companies that do home care can barely keep enough employed to handle their clients.

Was 18 an hour a recent thing? I remember advertised wages in the paper just a few years ago for $14. PSWs get paid like poo poo and its a travesty.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Silver Spooner posted:

teacher effort post

Thanks for the info. I've also heard grumblings about getting rid of all day JK which would also be a disaster.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

I think we should get rid of the homeless, by giving them homes, instead of spending horrendous amounts of money on services for the homeless that are still minimally effective because it's no-poo poo incredibly difficult to function in society with no fixed address and no place to live.

it would be incredibly cool if a local government actually followed the results of that study that said its in fact much cheaper to give the homeless free housing instead of spending the money that gets used when they are homeless on policing,social services,medical support, etc.

but its a "bad look" for voters.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’ve sorta just embraced that we’re all totally hosed and that there’s very little that can be done to change it without putting yourself in the sights of people that would absolutely crush you to continue on with their merry lifestyle

We’re dead from climate poo poo in 20-30 years and by the time the political will to get it done comes together it’ll be far too late.

E: Like I'm not full on a no-hope climate nihilist, I want to vote, volunteer and do what I can, just that if somebody's going to continuously vote for self-destructive poo poo and cancel me out anyway, rock on, have fun explaining to your kids in 20 years why you hosed everything up for them.

As much as I really do think we need to do infinitely more when it comes to becoming a green society, I start to glaze over when people start with the crazy "20 years and were dead" poo poo. Its the same talking points that we had 30 years ago.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I just left a voicemail with the local PD person who is dealing with the case, and I've emailed them some relevant information. I have no idea what's happening past that and I can only pray CM didn't go through with it.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I have felt terrible all day thinking about the guy. I really hope he seconded guessed it and didn't use the device.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just wish he was able to start seeing a psych many years ago. He posted a lot about the fear and panic just at looking up a psych online. He was in the dumps for years. Just terrible stuff.

Hell, if I was in his shoes with no spouse, no friends, no close relationships with family, I'd be considering some bad decisions too. Video games and shitposting is not a life by itself.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Universal pharmacare should be the standard anyways

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

I like how zapplez changed his avatar but kept the bird.

Its pretty great im not gonna lie

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

You are an active beneficiary of and proponent of the social conditions that create more people like ChairMaster year after year.

How should someone vote as to not be responsible for someones suicide?

edit: To be clear I think one of modern societies greatest failings is the breakdown of large families and poor social/community support and increased isolation of the young and elderly. But to place the blame on a particular mans suicide because they vote Lib or NDP last election seems a bit unfair.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actually gently caress it, I'm not going to forget it. PT6A, please tell me how my finances are not leaving me a wreck. I worked 13 hours minimum wage last week. I haven't been out with my friends since the end of loving November. I had to ask my mom to help me pay rent last month and it looks like I'm on track to need to ask her again this month. I got passed over for training that might give me some more marketable skills because my boss thinks I don't have any drive. I got hit by a loving car last week and I thank my luck that nothing is broken because I don't get paid sick leave.

Minimum wage in this country is a loving joke. I love the Ford already is attacking it again. As someone that worked minimum age for years, its a loving travesty to get paid like that. Hope you find a job with benefits soon.