Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Never forget that one of the things JWR was told when they were pressuring her was "we can line up op-eds from here to the moon saying you did the right thing".

I've no idea actually. From personal experience I'm young and I don't think I ever remember it being a different way. My hunch would be the same as yours, that it's something that came with neoliberalism and love for "job creators". Certainly the narrative from the wealthy has been that by providing jobs they're immune to all criticism for a lot longer than that, but before the advent of neoliberalism it seems there was a much stronger counter-narrative saying jobs aren't the be-all and end-all and in fact our end goal should be no one having to work at all.

Adam Smith had that poo poo pegged down in the 1700s.

quote:

For example, Smith lectured that the cause of increase in national wealth is labour, rather than the nation's quantity of gold or silver, which is the basis for mercantilism, the economic theory that dominated Western European economic policies at the time

Jobs are good because they add profit and growth, otherwise the companies wouldn't survive having jobs like that so the default is that all jobs are good because they are good for the national economy. When was the strongest counter narrative saying that our end goal should be no one having to work at all? Genuinely curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

Karl Marx and the communist revolutions in europe

Marx wrote a lot about the necissity for a large mass of "reserve labour" (the unemployed) being in the interest of capitalists so as to drive down wages, and to be available during times of rapid growth when rapid increases in production are necessary. It is in the interests of capitalists to have a large class of the unemployed to draw upon. IMO, the narrative of capitalist "job creators" mostly exists to counter the idea of a universal income, and obfuscate the larger problem of increasing unemployement due to automation.

That's what I was thinking the strongest peak was, like 1917ish.

The whole capitalism thing only works with massive amounts of imaginary wealth being lent that will be paid back in the future mostly way in the future. That depends on economic growth and that growth depends on societies being able to produce more and more each year. Each real job contributes to that growth because the employee should be contributing more to the company that they're being paid. So it makes sense for governments to protect the jobs if there's a bad year or something, try to create new ones via innovation credits and stuff like that. Job creators are growth engines and the employees are the fuel, makes sense for governments to protect and nurture both. It seems fundamentally opposed for the government to run on an idea of "our end goal should be no one having to work at all" and I was just wondering if the sentiment was ever strong enough for that to have had much strength in a modern society.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Yay

https://twitter.com/EricGrenierCBC/status/1105450765722750976

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I really like how Eric Grenier doesn't provide any of his methodology for seat projections or probability of winning.

:pseudo:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-vote-seat-methodology-1.4054947

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
To put probability into practical context, a party with a 25 per cent probability of winning has as much of a chance of winning the election as someone does of flipping a coin twice and getting "heads" both times. Unlikely — but still very possible.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

WTF is this Discovery Math bullshit?

It's the last bit of eric grenier explaining his methodology to practical canadians. Lowtax is so hosed, why not get his canadian wife to sponsor him and move here in 6-8 months, spouses are exempt from the medically demanding denial.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

I appreciate the link but he's discussing his methodology rather than providing the details. And, as many eloquently pointed out, it's deeply flawed.

:allears:

FOIA his excel sheet then nerd.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
a) Having someone pretend he's legitimate helps us all hate him better
b) He's a handy place to at least get links to the latest polls
c) He's kind of entertaining, like a fortune teller, the way he divines his visions
d) He is key to getting people to vote strategically for my man j-tru, the narrative right from the start is the ndp have a zero percent chance of winning the election

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 13, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I feel for the guy a bit, data is a tough field. In medical evidence and probably most science, we have publication bias meaning mostly only studies showing some strong effect or positive results get published. A lot of the studies that are full of real and valuable data but don't have a decisive conclusion or have a negative one don't get published. Then researchers do honest meta-analyses on all published papers and doctors start prescribing drugs that don't really work. All to say, if eric grenier's website truthfully said who the gently caress knows we're 6 months away, he'd have to get a real job and somebody else would take the role of poll gypsy because there's some market for it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Why do people think propane tanks are this huge safety hazard lol. In reality they are actually much safer than having big stacks of firewood lying around

They use propane heat in poly tents, very bad combination.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

we can't take care of our homeless because of refugees! *votes conservative*

Maybe if they worked a little harder to join the Middle Class.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Looks like my super MP hit the hammer on the nail with this recent mailer then eh

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If only there was two strong progressive pro pipeline forces in Alberta.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Hope they found him in time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DariusLikewise posted:

The point is that at this point it doesn't really matter who says what or who you vote for, Jason Kenney Premier is happening

That's what they said about Patrick Brown.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leofish posted:

lol @ the bitcoin begging in her bio now. I don't know how well being a neo-Nazi contrarian pays these days but if she's out seeking bitcoin donations it's probably not much.

It could just be my personal feed, but I feel like I'm noticing a real pushback against white supremacist shitheads these days. Anti-racist Canada, the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, the Yellow Vests Exposed people are all doing round the clock duty on pointing out what these troglodytes are happily saying and I'm also seeing more pushback against softy mainstream media outlets that aren't calling a Nazi a Nazi.

I don't know how hard the press gallery will push back against people like Scheer and Bernier, who have knowingly lied about things like the UN migration compact, or about how their parties curiously attract white supremacist candidates and supporters for some reason, but more and more people seem upset about it. Not sure how that'll translate come election time, of course, but it's a good sign so far.

It's not just you, that sentiment is definitely gaining momentum. In fact, it's so important that the liberal justice committee just (yesterday) voted to embark on a study of that exact thing because it is much more pressing that that silly snc lavalin fluff. Love these guys, their finger is really on the pulse of canadians like you and me.

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/status/1107987759640297473

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Leofish posted:

Celina Caesar-Chavannes just quit the Liberal caucus.

https://twitter.com/CTV_PowerPlay/status/1108434668133609472

Good, one less divisive debbie trying to get scheer elected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

I'm not a particularly social person to begin with, and sometimes think I'd be happiest living in a tiny cabin in the mountains, but when I go a few days with limited social contact, I still start feeling lonely. I think except in very rare cases, it's more or less the same for all of us. Just wired that way. We need some degree of connection or we start getting sick, in one way or another. The internet doesn't really do it.

My wife is the one who usually organizes the dinners with friends and other social outings. Funny enough it's usually coordinated with other people's wives/partners. The dudes don't seem to arrange much on their own other than the outdoor activities stuff. If I didn't have her I'd probably do very little social stuff at all, and get weirder and weirder, eventually culminating in probably living in the forest and making occasional forays into the city to shoplift food.

Yeah, when I meet men who are social organizers I don't trust it at all. Stop trying to network with me and have your wife arrange this via my wife like normal people do.