Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Too little, too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hahaha. The two people I ran that really good fundraiser for got cabinet. gently caress yeah me.

You're patronage will be rewarded, afterall we are talking about the Liberals.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

You started from the bottom though, these new people are just band wagoners

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't even describe what I'm feeling right now

I don't get why people put you on ignore or programmatically replace your posts. I enjoy your, sometimes strange, opinions :confused:

Albino Squirrel are your digs at doctors some sort of friendly ribbing or do you generally look down on some of the fields of medicine?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

It’s also besties no more. New Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion says while Israel is a friend, Canada can help more by returning to its honest broker role and improving its relations with other Middle East nations than continuing the policies of the former Conservative government. “The main difference is that we will stop making it a partisan issue,” Dion said. Our Elizabeth Thompson has that story.

Great, now push the Israeli's for an actual peace deal with the Palestinians.

quote:

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair faced his caucus yesterday for the first time since their thumping and afterwards said the party deserves credit for getting the Conservatives out of government. "I think the NDP formed the only real opposition Mr. Harper ever had to face and that's one of the reasons we were able to defeat him.” Right. Is Tom aware of the small shindig that went down at Rideau Hall earlier in the day?

There is no silver lining here, you lost Mulcair. The pettiness of moving the goalposts to support that claim puts you alongside of the departing CPC party and I am not a fan of that. Admit defeat and be humble, take lessons and move forward.

vyelkin posted:

Harjit Sajjan, our new Minister of Defence, everybody:

I like him

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You shitlords are wayy wayyyyyyy behind the ball today. I saved a copy in case it disappears.

:siren: TPP TEXT :siren:

http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Treaties-and-International-Law/01-Treaties-for-which-NZ-is-Depositary/0-Trans-Pacific-Partnership-Text.php
http://www.mfat.govt.nz/downloads/trade-agreement/transpacific/TPP-text/TPP_All-Chapters.zip

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

I was too busy reading it.

Signatories have a 5 year timeline to

quote:

freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective
bargaining;
(b) the elimination of all forms of forced or compulsory labour;
(c) the effective abolition of child labour, a prohibition on the worst forms of
child labour and other labour protections for children and minors;
(d) the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation;
and
(e) acceptable conditions of work with respect to minimum wages1
, hours of
work, and occupational safety and health;

Good luck getting Vietnam, Peru, Mexico, and Malaysia on board. Mexico already uses child labour for agriculture under NAFTA.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

pubic void nullo posted:

Canada uses child labour for agriculture.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/withrow-farm-deaths-alberta-children-protection-legislation-1.3274904

Listen in detail:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-october-16-2015-1.3274058/a-call-for-legislation-to-protect-children-on-farms-1.3274064

But they're our kids, on our farm *3 unsupervised girls die crushed under a truckload of grain in a workplace with no safety standards* It was a tragic, unpreventable accident

To be fair they are part of a family business, it's not like Alberta farmers actively recruit workers from primary school. In Mexico's case there is a very large migrant population that is paid daily rates for picking agriculture, which is then sold in Canadian markets under NAFTA. The way Canadian agriculture competes with that is to import Mexican workers under TFW to pick our agriculture which is pretty :psyduck:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

Yeah, at best good ministers will take on a couple of pet projects while setting good policy decisions based on the evidence and recommendations by various stakeholders and let the deputy ministers and senior civil service get on with it.

The (big) difference this time is that scientific or in other words actual evidence may be taken into consideration instead of moral or religious conviction

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

the circle jerking in this thread is painful.

at least i guess justin didn't appoint someone like notely did in sarah hoffman, a fat health minister of health who hasn't done anything healthy be it work or exercise in her life

Feel free to add a right wing view and link to rebelmedia. Her personal life choices aside, she would be better served with the education file. I believe we had this discussion a while ago actually.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

sbaldrick posted:

That makes me more of a Monarchist then ever

Also how has this Trudeau interview not made the thread

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/behind-the-scenes-with-justin-trudeau-on-his-1st-day-as-pm-1.3304860

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload? Everything he says or does seems to have an article or video. Can we not have a middle ground between no information (Harper) and being verbose (Trudeau)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Brannock posted:

I don't mind the enthusiasm. "Back to normal" is still going to be much more interaction with the press and Canada than we've had for the past decade. It's nice to have a PM who tells us what he's going to do before he does it.

@justintrudeau
Meet me @RealCdnSS in Ottawa, shopping for groceries today

Someone will certainly appreciate the articles of Trudeau buying eggs @ RCSS in Ottawa

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Helsing posted:

My go to meal is quinoa and beans and one of my favorite past times is chilling out to an audiobook while going on a long run. Then again even when I spent years being physically inactive and eating junkfood I never had any problems with my weight so honestly I mostly assume my fitness is a function of genetics. Either way you're going to have to find a different angle for why we apparently disagree on the causes of obesity.

And if obesity is just an issue of personal morality then what exactly happened in the 1980s? Millions of people simultaneously just lost all their self control? You don't think there's any evidence here of some underlying social or medical factors that go beyond some trite condemnation of other people's moral problems.

The foods people eat now are much calorie denser than before. Genetics or illness will determine base metabolism (which does not differ much), whereas the food you input is entirely of your own control. It's very hard to get as large as some of the geriatrics do without HFCS, I'd wager it is impossible barring serious illness.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twiin posted:

This is dumb. Two people don't absorb the same amount of calories from eating the same food. Some people produce more enzymes of one type than another, meaning any given food might have a higher or lower caloric availability. Some people's intestines are six feet longer than some other people's. People with mild lactose deficiencies get far fewer calories out of drinking milk. Then, different people expend different amounts of energy to actually process those different kinds of food. Some foods trigger a mild immune response during digestion due to pathogens, which costs more calories. There so many variables in play all the time.

I have personally lived and eaten every meal every day with people who weighed much more than I did, and I would regularly eat all of my plate and then some of theirs, and I probably spent $50 a month at the bulk barn on chocolate and candy. My exercise regimen was rock band and internet arguments, and they used an elliptical. I'm 5'8" and I can't get my weight above 130 for the life of me, no matter how much I eat.

You can't conflate your weight with another persons unless you literally eat the same meals at the same times. People don't get large by eating rice cakes and salads without tons of mayo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
While we are on this food derail, let me point out that obesity will become a major healthcare cost for our Country in the years ahead, and we should actually start enacting policies or programs to save ourselves. It will bankrupt us.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twiin posted:

Obesity (along with smoking and alcohol) actually lower healthcare costs because people die sooner. The cost of treating obesity-related diseases is less than the cost of ongoing healthcare and treating non-obesity diseases that will come up and eventually kill people in those extra years they live.

Feel free to cite a North American study for your claim.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Excelzior posted:

this is Quebec's minister of Health

he's entirely qualified

but if you can look at that fat gently caress telling you about our childhood obesity epidemic for more than 30 seconds without giggling you are a god damned saint

it's like if Rob Ford was promoting a crackdown on illegal drugs

When did Quebec go back in time to hire John Goodman pre weight loss. Christ Dr Brown sure was busy in 2015.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

How much of the spend was on infrastructure we can perhaps reuse instead of security or garbage collection costs? Don't bother answering because the number is super low and depressing.

Next up the cost of the UP express (half a billion+) which can't even break even on operating costs.

quote:

By June 19, 2015, the Union Pearson Express was averaging about 3,250 riders a day, or 12 percent capacity.[45] Metrolinx has projected that a year after opening, the service will attract 5,000 riders a day — about 1 million customers. By 2020, Metrolinx expects 2.46 million rides will bring it up to full operating cost recovery.[46]

However, ridership has been in a consistent state of decline in the service's opening months. Ridership in August 2015 was 17 percent lower than in June 2015 and a further 4 percent lower in the first two weeks of September. Ridership ended up averaging 2,300 per day during a four-week period in September 2015, a drop of 29 percent since June. The service needs about 7,000 riders per day to break even on operating costs,[47] which is a little over three times the most recent ridership figures. Even to match the initial Metrolinx projections, the service will need to more than double the ridership in nine months.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kraftwerk posted:

There's no one to vote for in Ontario. The ONDP do not do enough to make themselves electable and the PCs fashion themselves as tophat and twirly moustache villains.

Ontario governance is a huge joke. We have a choice of enduring cuts from either corrupt corporate lobbyists or tea party republicans.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

I don't mean to be insensitive, but are you quite sure you have your priorities in the right order?

On another subject: as a result of this discussion, I decided to look into dental/vision insurance. Holy gently caress, what a ripoff that is. There's an absurdly low annual payout limit for dental care, and they only cover 75% anyway, so the best case scenario is I don't lose any money compared to just paying dental visits in cash. Is their target market "people who can't do math?" I'd come out ahead just depositing my premium into a savings account.

Doesn't Alberta have basically 3D6+X as their price guide? Insurance is meant to cover you when bad things happen as well, you would be wise to have some lest you become a debt slave (to a non mortgage lender)

ed: wait aren't you in tech? How are you a professional without benefits?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

If the dental benefits are capped at something like $600/year, which is what the policy said, I submit to you that it wouldn't cover a dental emergency very well at all. I pay $380/visit twice-yearly for my regular dental checkups and cleaning, so given 75% coverage, I'd still be right up against the payout limit without anything happening. Besides, I have plenty of money to pay for more spendy dental work, it just means I'd have less money to do other things with and/or invest.

And, yeah, I'm self-employed. Maybe I can get a policy that's not poo poo if I buy it through my corporation and then offer it to myself, but I'm guessing they'd see through such a cheap trick.

EDIT: I mean, I understand that insurance has to make money and therefore my plan premiums ought to cost more than cleanings alone, but I expect a higher payout cap so there's actually some benefit to buying it.

If you work through one of the big agencies they should offer a group rate for benefits. Alberta has the highest dental rates in the country also, so shop around.

JawKnee posted:

The ostrich approach to problems

The Harper approach you mean

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
PT6A, I like you. Let me help you, ok. Find a spouse in the public sector, with a gold plated benefits package. Settle for nothing less. Enjoy your :airquote: public-private partnership :airquote:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Kafka Esq. posted:

It's very Canadian to just shrug and let it develop without firing a shot. An American Air Force captain would have edit: caused an international incident in defence of his aircraft.

You would think so but keep history in mind

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Just to add I worked with waste water containment and a municipality wanted to use human waste water as fertilizer. :psyduck:

Matt Damon did it, it's legit :science:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MA-Horus posted:

"My rear end in a top hat is keeping me alive"

Also up until very recently in the small rural farming village in South Korea I lived in for two years dumped sewage directly into the fields

'Twas a lovely perfume in the 40+ degree 100% humidity days I tell you what

Manure of any kind increases in fragrance during the warmer weather, being human or cow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/09/welcome-aboard-sunny-airway

Liberals throwing money away already

Welcome aboard Sunny Airways

Mike Strobel BY MIKE STROBEL, TORONTO SUN

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau put his hand on his heart, batted his eyes, sighed, and let vanquished Stephen Harper fly home to Calgary on a VIP jet.

Bloody Liberals. Throwing away our money already. They’ll hit their big federal deficit targets, easy. Justin and what he calls his “sunny ways” will cost us.

Welcome aboard Sunny Airways, ladies and gentlemen.

Flight time from Ottawa to Calgary is five hours — maybe longer given the prevailing winds of change — so the tab on the former PM’s trip home was as much as $55,000. Here’s how:

The government’s C-144 Challengers cost up to $11,000 an hour to operate including pilots’ salary, pretzels and such.

Plus, I assume the plane had to return to Ottawa eventually, so the total bill could hit $110,000.

Do that 90,900 times and you are close to the Liberals’ promised $10-billion annual deficit, not to mention you are near death from jet-lag.

What, did they let Julian Fantino leave Ottawa in a stretch limo? Did they give Olivia Chow a gold-plated bicycle? Did every other defeated Tory and NDP stalwart get Air Miles and a weekend at Disney World? All from the tax vault?

(Editor’s note: You’re being a bit hard on the new dude, Strobel. After all, it was a nice gesture to fly our former prime minister home in style after a decade on the job.)

Sure, boss, and when you fire my sorry rear end out the door, I bet you don’t even spring for Uber fare. Nor should you. I’ll get Buffery to drive me.

The road to a national debt is paved with gestures. The Conservative Party brass couldn’t pick up the tab for their former boss’s ride? After all Stephen Harper has done for them? Or did they spend all their dough on attack ads?

When Stephen Harper was boss, he and his family regularly flew in the jets, including to sports events and party functions, but reimbursed us taxpayers.

When he lost to Justin in gobsmacking fashion Oct. 19, Harper also lost a deluxe pack of perks, including car and driver, security detail and Leafs tickets. He doesn’t seem to be losing sleep over it, even showing up for his first opposition caucus meeting in a bland minivan.

Harper was supposed to take a commercial flight home that night — until Justin, the Northern Magnanimous, stepped in.

(Strobel, in fairness, Mr. Harper did accept the Challenger lift. He could have said no.)

True, but if a guy offers you a free flight in a private jet, you jump at it. You ever been in a lineup at Pearson, boss?

Funny, but the Harper government, a sworn enemy of perks, was supposed to shrink the fleet of C-144s from six to just two — after years of lambasting the jets as symbols of Liberal excess.

But it backed off because the jets are so heavily used. Of course they are. I’m sure you, gentle reader, have been offered a lift or two, maybe to the cottage or to visit your granny in Florida.

Without those private jets, our whole political and social hierarchy would collapse. Air Canada economy class would be infested with senior bureaucrats and cabinet ministers.

Imagine sitting beside Chrystia Freeland, the new international trade minister, all the way to Vancouver. Talk your ear off.

“Global super-rich” this, “global super-rich” that.

Fasten your seatbelts, ladies and gentlemen, it’s going to be a bumpy four years.

A right-leaning column about nothing, absolutely nothing. A bit sour, too.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

SubCrid TC posted:

I think you might not understand satire...

You may not know Mike strobel

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Brannock posted:

Is there any disciplinary or punitive processes in place for terrible judges like these, aside from the Judicial Council tut-tutting at them?

lol if you think The criminal justice system is pretty lackluster in terms of sentences for crimes, so what makes you think the supervisory board that oversees the judges themselves would be any better? It will be a slap on the wrist at best, perhaps a counseling course at worst.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

Please elaborate.

Vehicular Manslaughter, NCR, NCR due to drug/alcohol/PTSD/etc

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

So you're saying that those who are mentally unfit should face stiffer penalties? You're not elaborating much other than throwing around a statement here and then spitting off acronyms as if it's a defence.

NCR due to episodic schizophrenia. Feel free to defend "science" in this case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
While we are on this topic, child molesters should be sentenced to the gallows.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I don't believe you can separate a persons physical actions from their mental state of mind, it's fairly straightforward. In the case of episodic <<insert mental illness>> where the end result is physical violence and at the extreme causal to death, there should not be a blurred line where for instance Vince Weiguang Li or Guy Turcotte should be free by any frame of the word free. The same applies to drinking and driving deaths whereby the responsible party basically gets 4-5 years tops for murdering people such as the pending case against Marco Muzzo (who will likely serve under 5 years).

If you really want to bring psychology into it, when a person is mentally fit, they should serve the remainder of their sentence as the rest of the population would, rather than release them into the streets. Keep in mind I'm not talking about petty crimes and having people serve 20 years for theft, I'm talking about murders and the soft velvet glove of the Canadian criminal justice system.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Newfie posted:

Yes, because the while development of a rule if law to have both a Actus and Mens component to a crime is something we just made up to let people go free. Great to see that the idea of permanent incarceration for the mentally ill is still alive and well in Canada. While we are at it, let's also extend our arrests to children under 5. They physically did a thing, they totally understood what they were doing an what the ramifications of those actions would be.

Jordan7hm posted:

I do think we have a system that is both far too easy on truly abhorrent criminals, and far too hard on pretty much anyone else. (especially people who have to serve their sentences in provincial jails, or who have to await trial on remand in provincial jails)

:agreed: but we should open a gallows for the most heinous criminals and hold a show during the Calgary Stampede

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

eXXon posted:

SOCIALTEA
I WOULD PREFER A PM FOCUS ON GROWING THE ECONOMY RATHER THAN THE SIZE OF REFUGEES

23 hours ago
75 Likes

Second most liked comment under a CBC article about Keystone XL

Is Trudeau only letting in refugees under a certain size?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

why do you both have the sane pony avatar god drat it it's confusing especially when you are arguing

also we really need a thread title, it's dumb to have the colon without anything after

I dunno, but he is much more upset at this terrible avatar than I am so for that I am glad.

Canadian Politics: Canada is twice as Sikh as India

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Drunk, high, sneezing, whatever. Do the crime, do the time.

Specifically to self-defence, I would do whatever I felt reasonably necessary to stop the threat against me. Depending on how I went about this, I would in fact be breaking the law and would be indicted (conviction is unlikely, unless you essentially murder someone) as such.

Feel free to please cite examples of vehicular murder/homicide from canlii in the past 5 years where people actually get incarcerated for a significant period of time.

You seem to live in a perfect world where there are no repeat offenders for any crime, please send me your postal code so I can live there.

Let's look at our harsh penalties for what is supposed to be societies most serious crime, murder or homicide.

quote:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/06/19/guilty-verdict-in-costco-crash-that-killed-two-girls.html

LONDON, ONT.—The father of a six-year-old girl has forgiven the woman who was convicted Friday of dangerous driving that killed his daughter and her newborn sister in a crash at a Costco store in London, Ont.

“I can’t even imagine what she’s feeling,” Eric Hall said of Ruth Burger, 66, who pleaded not guilty to two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of criminal negligence causing bodily harm in the case.
A judge convicted Burger of the lesser charges of dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ruth-burger-costco-crash-sentencing-probation-1.3280494

Ruth Burger, the driver who struck and killed a young girl and newborn baby at a London, Ont., Costco store entrance, received a suspended sentence Tuesday.

Burger was sentenced to probation, community service and a driving ban.

Marco Muzzo will likely get the same harsh penalty, a driving ban.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 9, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

THC posted:

Oh my god it gets even worse.

:ughh:

quote:

At another point, Mograbee said the judge was exercising ”antiquated thinking” in asserting that the complainant’s story was less believable since she had not immediately reported the alleged rape to authorities.

“I hope you don’t live too long, Ms. Mograbee,” he responded.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how has be not been disbarred.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
What I am getting at is the best way to murder someone in Canada is with a car, conviction is likely but you will always face the lesser charges regardless of intent. Very rarely is there enough evidence to warrant an actual conviction of murder or homicide. I mean we are better than China where you run people over thrice to ensure they are dead for financial incentives, but be serious about our legal system.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

Make sure you are drunk as gently caress first and then blame it on your rough home life.

There is also the "I wasn't drunk, but i rushed home to drink before giving a breath/blood sample which explains the alcohol in my blood" defence.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/jail+time+former+RCMP+officer+Monty+Robinson+convicted+obstruction/6999826/story.html

So what is the story, am I simply bias by the media or is there a systemic problem with sentences in Canada? How many examples must I cite from memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

Drunk driving isn't the same as a murder you plan out and wilfully commit. It's a lot closer to manslaughter.

Vehicular homicides face the same maximum penalties as manslaughter, however they are treated lighter overall than the manslaughter charge.

THC posted:

Did a short prison sentence kill your dog or something

Feel free to discuss something else if our criminal system isn't your fancy.