Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
:woop: :woop:

Let's take this baby to page 420 and then Trudeau will legalise weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Baudin posted:

Because only people who live in central parts of cities are real citizens :ironicat:

Idiots who settle down in suburbia and then contribute to congestion by car commuting are subhuman scum of urban centres.

"Why are the roads full of traffic and potholes!" *drives station wagon with no other occupant* :qq:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

THC posted:

Vancouver City Council voted today to tear down the Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts. You know what that means: a bunch of people who don't live in Vancouver will be slightly inconvenienced while driving through Vancouver. That's bad!

But... m-m-m-my urban eyesore! :qq:

It's basically the same in Montreal, they want to tear down the elevated Bonaventure expressway into Montreal and who complained in droves? The south shore residents who insist on driving in and out of their suburbian hellhole every day. Everyone else on the island is thrilled to see it go, especially the residents of boroughs Verdun/LaSalle which are enclaved by the elevated expressway.

Basically, this:

Will become something like this:

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 28, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Why, show everyone that he's one of the Good Guys by making a non-partisan appointment!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

"Hey guys, why not wait until a Republican gets elected for president, then he'll unroll the red carpet and we won't have to do any of this review poo poo?"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Excelzior posted:

this is Quebec's minister of Health

Yo, if we're going to gossip about the weight of cabinet members, at least show the effort he made about losing that extra weight following the exact same critics being bandied about in this thread.

Now if only he wasn't so insistent on also slimming down health care into nothing. :shepicide:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It should come as a surprise to no one that the CPC left a bigger shortfall than expected. I mean, they "balanced" the budget by fire saling their shares in GM, of course it was going to roll back in the red in the next exercise.

Of course, the average voter didn't know or care about this minor detail when they listened to NDP promising a balanced budget (based on the previous one) or "modest" LPC deficits.

:thumbsup:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ikantski posted:

The schadenfreude is starting to roll in on the tax cut for people who understand tax brackets . I like it.

:psypop:

...You don't even need to understand tax brackets, just to take one minute to actually inform yourself about the loving promise!

The Liberal platform posted:

Canadians with taxable annual income between $44,700 and $89,401 will see their income tax rate fall.

oh gee i make 36k a year this is totes going to apply to me rite!??

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

The "loving promise" was usually stated as tax cuts for the middle class, how loving stupid of the plebs making the median income to think they qualified as the middle class.

Maybe it's because I'm a cynical French Canadian from Quebec but yes, I actually do think it's pretty stupid to take in Liberal electoral promises without reading the fine print. Especially since, for once, the fine print was available to read before the promise was ever made into law.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I hate to be that kind of cynical dickwad, but it doesn't seem like anybody actually gives a poo poo about policy, at least compared to tone and style of rhetoric.

Which is precisely what the Grits capitalized on with this "middle class" tax cut. An election campaign, especially one as long as this one, is a lot of information to take in. But to claim you voted based on a particular platform point without even consulting the details and then complain when it turns out to be less than you expected... We're way past "fool me once" material.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cool story bro. I guess you didn't get the memo that Obama has been one of the most ardent practitioners of neo liberal economics since loving Reagan

It says a lot about the state of things that neoliberal economics would still be more left-wing than Harper's permanent tar sands and Alberta boner.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I'm glad that as an upstanding, informed Canadian citizen, I can take action to stop the TPP by doing all of the following:

fake edit:
  • Sign an OpenMedia petition!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

the trump tutelage posted:

[citation(s) needed]

You mean the same kind of clear and specific citations from that article that back "good science and policy"?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Eh, $52 per month, that's pretty cheap for a monthly transit pa--

quote:

additional $52 monthly fee

:cripes:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

David Corbett posted:

In the latest news from Calgary, Uber has taken its ball and gone home after city council passed a new bylaw that would have legalized its services.

The requirements, apparently, were as follows:

1) Drivers would have to pay $220 a year for licensing,
2) Drivers would have to pay $30 for a police background check before they started, and
3) Vehicles would need to be inspected at least every year, with a repeat inspection after 50,000 annual km and every 50,000 annual km afterward.

All of this was apparently so onerous that it totally destroys the business model of Uber, which is ostensibly a $50 billion dollar company, so they've abandoned the Calgary market and will now be supplanted by someone who actually wants to do business here.

Welp, this will go over well in Quebec, where the government is considering legislating in favour of renting existing taxi licenses at... $300 a week.

quote:

Le gouvernement planche sur une solution pour amener Uber à respecter le cadre réglementaire auquel doivent se conformer les autres taxis. Déjà, des milliers de chauffeurs travaillent au Québec en «louant» leur permis d'un détenteur de permis. Ces permis sont loués à la semaine, 300 $ par semaine, par exemple

:laugh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I don't know why the cab companies apparently haven't managed to build a ride hailing app that works like Uber's does

Hmm, that might just be related to being an oligopoly with no competition?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Trapick posted:

I don't smoke or enjoy secondhand smoke but if someone lights one up in a 5 metre radius I just put on my big boy pants and get over it.

Cool, when you get cancer from secondhand smoke, do put on your big boy pants and tell us how that works out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

Thought this was a nice quote from Kasparov

Oh, yeah, I'm glad we cleared up Kasparov doesn't support one of our upcoming Canadian presidential candidates.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

no one should have their kids taken away from them for refusing vaccination you people cant be serious

If you undermine herd immunity whether knowingly or out of ignorance and stupidity, then yes, you should have your kids either forcibly inoculated or taken away altogether.

e: vvvvvvv
This, but unironically. :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

JVNO posted:

Dude's probably all talk anyway.

We put C-51 in place so we can put these people in jail anyway. :colbert:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/09/judge-blasts-warring-parents-who-squandered-500000-on-custody-battle

lmao 500k. This trial is like a loving allegory for Canadian spending patterns of the last 10 years. Money isn't worth anything anymore so #yolo right

Those rulings are great. Must be the judge's way of motivating himself to get up in the morning just to listen to immature and deranged adults squabbling.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's too bad that minimum income is already being framed as a program only for 'the most impoverished.' In all likelihood we'll end up with a negative income tax that gives the Liberals the opportunity to cut all sorts of other social safety net programs. In fact that's how it already being framed:

They're also completely fudging the terminology for minimum income and basic income, which are massively different. The former is nothing groundbreaking, it'd just be consolidating the dozens of redundant social safety nets into one uniform measure that still requires a ton of bureaucracy and paperwork. Wake me up when some party has the balls to put forward the latter.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Why can't we just nuke ontario

Not enough nukes for both Vancouver and Ontario.

You have to choose, CI, the fate of Canada depends on you.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

When I hear people talk about it it instantly triggers my "you don't know much about infrastructure" signal.

People were telling Elon Musk he didn't know much about making cars or launching rockets into space when got started in either of those endeavours. Just because everyone is parroting that something is a bad idea doesn't make it a bad idea.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Funding to the research councils without strings attached.

Oh, the grants will all mysteriously go to bench-to-bedside research.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/letters/march-24-budget-principles-plus-other-letters-to-the-editor/article29371311/

Letters to Globe & Mail editor posted:

There wasn’t much excitement in the budget for me. Being an honest taxpayer (drat that T4) with income over $200K, my economic interests got thrown under the bus well before the budget. I’m an easy target, it would appear.

Now if I were among the 2.4 million self-employed, I would have more interest, to be sure. I guess if I were a general contractor, a lobbyist or had a pile of stock options, I would be happy.

It’s going to be a long four years.

:qqsay:

I wonder if he also happens to make over $200k, but under $215k? I'm sure he'd be surprised to learn that he is still getting a tax reduction...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

From a strictly utilitarian point of view, I should like to think that a theoretical superintelligent AI would be able to better run government than a squabbling bunch of humans.

But that's only assuming we manage to put together a superintelligent AI without accidentally (or willingly) creating Skynet.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

I don't get why some many Canadians are fervently anti-Union

Because those filthy public employees already have the best pensions ever and yet they keep asking for more! :bahgawd:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I live in Quebec and I think electric baseboards are pretty okay. :buddy:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

vyelkin posted:

GMO labeling is a bad policy and a perfect example of how too much information and too much choice can be a bad thing in consumer markets, because most consumers don't know enough to make use of such additional information.

Easy fix: Sell only GMOs, label them all, and people will either starve to death or try eating it anyway and realize nothing happens. :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

But RRSP allowances are based on income, so if you're poor you're not going to be carrying much forward.

And even then, 18% of your income is more than lots of people can afford when their costs of living take up 70% of their income in the first place.

It's almost as if the system was designed to keep the poors down. :shepface:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

PT6A posted:

That sort of thing is exactly why I hate hippies and "environmentalists."

Let's not kid ourselves, you hate everyone.

Except Trump, maybe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Doesn't Suzuki have a background in genetics?? How could he possibly buy into that?

Even with a background in genetics (perhaps even especially with a background in genetics), I can definitely see how one would be wary of GMOs in general.

Sure, pretty much all genetic improvements that see their way to the public are done in a careful, controlled environment. But statistics being what they are, there's always the faint possibility that you're introducing a gene modification that's beneficial in most respects, but happens to interact with a different gene in such a way that causes it to drift unpredictably and perhaps out of control. That genotype you observed making cabbage more resilient to insects and parasites might turn other species in the same genus into uncontrollable weeds with practically no value, until the Earth is covered in them. It's unlikely to happen, but all it takes is one honest mistake that spirals out of control.

It's a bit like the argument that computer scientists have about AI. For the most part, "AI" is anything but "intelligent" and just dumbly applies an algorithm to some known metrics to try and improve itself. But all it would take is one AI with the right kind of data being told to optimize itself without explicitly trying to preserve human life and civilization... And suddenly you end up with an AI whose directive is to produce red staplers at any cost, including that of releasing advanced nanomachines that convert all organic life into red staplers.

Obviously a highly unlikely and downright comedic outcome, but science pessimists, regardless of domain, remain aware that all it takes is that one exception to the rule that fucks up the entire world for everyone else.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ron_Jeremy posted:

In other news, the honeymoon is over. Justin would only get a bare majority when we switch to strict PR.

We knew that when he won his majority with 39% of the popular vote? :shrug:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

59% 52% in favour of a leadership review.

Welp.

e: wrong number

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Tom's staying on as interim leader, good :3:

It's basically what I would've wanted if I'd bothered going as a delegate. I don't think it's relevant to have a leadership contest now, but let's consider it in 2 years. There are no real alternatives right now, and if Mulcair really means to adopt the party's shift back to the left, he'll have plenty of time to prove it before this new contest.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I for one would be perfectly happy electing a genuinely left wing NDP federal government that can just go on ignoring the PC/Wildrose party that gets elected in protest of them filthy ANDPs endorsing the Leap Manifesto. Maybe they can threaten to separate and take "their" equalization payments with them?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

can we just give those two people who let their kid die meningitis and let them die

I will pray for them to get better.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

poo poo, even during childhood in the 80s I was hearing in the media about how we'd all be hosed if we didn't change course.

This is precisely why the urgency of the matter completely fails to register for most people. Telling someone "Your house is on fire, get the gently caress out." is an immediate hazard, easy to understand and act on. But no matter how much science, graphs and data you show them, people fail to grasp the abstract, indirect threat from constant consumption, carbon emissions, etc. that ultimately materializes as climate change. The fact that science has been warning everyone for 30 years doesn't make people more receptive, it just dulls the threat even more.

edit: It's not the article where I originally read about this, but this Time article does a good job of explaining some of the social research that's been done to understand why the scientific warnings about climate change are being ignored by the public.

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 12, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

In the video games I play trade treaties give bonus income to each country and improve relations, trade deals are good because they make economy strong.

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with England Trumpland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Helsing posted:

All of which is a rather long and roundabout way of saying the left just doesn't have the strength to push the environmental issue right now. Yeah, that's awful, and I don't feel great saying it, but it seems to be true. I'm not saying abandon the struggle altogether, but if given a choice between taking the morally pure but politically impotent position on the environment, or focusing on the economic issues that could maybe help produce some future political movement for reform, I'd pick the latter. I fully admit that's a judgement call, and maybe the wrong one, but it seems to me like there's no point focusing on environmental policy when no political consituency or movement exists to actually push for or defend that policy.

Oh, there'll be plenty of room for the environmental issue once "our jerbs!" becomes less important than "our houses not getting carried off by flash floods!".

Unfortunately, it'll be too late by then. :suicide: