Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm as cynical as anyone else, but I gotta say, I'm vaguely optimistic about most of this. Except guns of course. Reversing the single positive bit of firearms legislation we've seen since the long gun registry go killed kinda sucks, but at least it's back to the status quo rather than getting worse. The 'assault weapons' thing in the Liberal platform is kinda worrying too, but whatever. If we start seeing some proper funding for social services, it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MA-Horus posted:

That makes me sad because Canadian Rangers are hard as gently caress and very cool and UNBELIEVABLY good shots with those Lee-Enfields like holy gently caress

Dear gods this. Growing up, a friend of the family who was a retired Canadian Ranger helped teach me how to shoot, plus letting me shoot his Lee-Enfield(my first time ever firing a centerfire rifle). Dude had loving laser-like accuracy with the bloody thing until cancer got him. Giving them nice new rifles, instead of 70 year old rifles based on a century+ year old design? That's a pretty positive thing.

Then again, doing anything to help our desperately hosed military is probably a good thing at this point.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

*puffs joint, passes to the left*

I'd hit it if I heard that speech in person.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hey PT6A, have you ever done any sort of working class job? The kind that leaves you stone dead tired every night? Where even thinking of having the energy to cook something decent after working all day is impossible? Because I kinda doubt it. Because after working all day, and I do mean actually loving working, not pushing paper in a loving highrise like all the other FYGM people, odds are good you are worn the gently caress out. And grabbing some fast food or some other poo poo, just to keep you going to the next day is often the best choice.

Putting more taxes on smokes? Well poo poo, who gives a gently caress? I only quit recently, but a small increase in tax never bothered me. I enjoy drinking too, like basically everyone. Still don't really give a gently caress about the taxes. And that's coming from someone who this year, for the first time in their entire life, will be above the poverty line. So if my broke loving rear end isn't complaining on a sin tax on two things that have huge societal costs, then maybe you should shut the gently caress up. Fast food and junk food might be unhealthy. People might be overweight because they eat too much, or don't get enough exercise(because they're working miserable dead end jobs that suck the life out of you).

But unlike smoking, unhealthy food doesn't reliably give you cancer, and unlike drinking, someone isn't gonna smash into another another vehicle and kill a family.

Suck it up, shut your bitch hole, and pull on your big boy pants. Food is a stupid thing to tax. Luxuries like booze and nicotine aren't.

Edit: now can we please get on with watching what our politicians are doing, and hoping desperately it end up being positive and working towards fixing Harper's mess?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

How is junk food not a luxury? It's cheap because of the garbage ingredients not because it's actually food.

I mean your post was pretty salty and we got that for free :haw:

My problem with the idea of taxing any food as a luxury is this: where is the line drawn. Junk food is unhealthy. When I was little, it was a luxury, because it wasn't something cheap and in bulk. Because when you're poor as hell, that's the food you want. Stuff that is cheap, comes in bulk, and takes no energy to prepare after a long lovely day of working your lovely low paying job. Now compare that to an actual luxury food, something like caviar or foie gras. Nobody who's poor is ever going to manage to pay for the nice poo poo, but they're getting taxed on the cheap poo poo. And conversely, the people with the money to afford the nice things aren't going to give a poo poo about the sin tax on junk food, and they're going to be able to afford the nice stuff.

It's a tax that would disproportionately hurt those who are the most hard up in terms of food choices. Junk food is a luxury of sorts. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that a tax would be stupid as all hell. When your idea of a really nice treat is a bottle of pop and a bag of chips, getting taxed on it because it's bad for your would suck rear end. If you're including cheap frozen poo poo that's unhealthy in your definition of junk food, then it's really gonna hit hard. Expand it to fast food? Okay, now you're just aiming to hurt people who work the dead end jobs, retail, and manual labour.

edited to add a bit more

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 6, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

On the other hand, letting junk food sit as a cheap luxury incentivizes it when compared to other options especially in the case of youth.

There are lots of cheaper options for a fast meal that you can put in boiling water or an oven/microwave/pan for 10-15 and have something reasonably substantial. If you can't handle that you should maybe spend some time examining your life instead of your food choices.

My own choices basically amount to variations on potatoes or rice. When I was a kid, it was meat(usually from hunting), potatoes or rice, and a canned or frozen veggie(whichever was cheaper in bulk). Every night. Once or twice a month, a bottle of pop and some chips or something. When both my parents were working and my sister and I were in school, cheap bulk frozen poo poo was the name of the game, because who had the time or energy or even willpower to actually prepare poo poo after work/school?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Slightly Toasted posted:

I'm pretty sick of this argument and I'm pretty sure you don't want me to answer that question so I googled sexy trudeau pics and these were the first three

I'd much rather see more of this than this dumb debate.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have hella hosed eyes(and each eye is hosed in a different way, to a different degree), and a really wide head. Tell me again about how it'll be so much cheaper an easier to get something sight unseen that will fir my wierd rear end head, and also not give me blinding headaches.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So unrelated to our government doing their normal thing and being fuckups, and the Cons being racist as poo poo, Canada's other racist as poo poo organization just decided to do their thing. So here's a crosspost from TFR:

MohawkSatan posted:

So there's this:

http://calibremag.ca/home/2015/11/rcmp-prohibit-50-beowulf-magazines/

TL:DR is that the RCMP had decided 'multi-calibre' magazines capable of holding more than 5 rounds are now prohibited, specifically .50 Beowulf magazines. This goes against their original statement of 'it only matters what it was designed for'. So anyone here with a .50 Beowulf magazine, even if you have a .50 Beowulf rifle, is now in possession of a prohib magazine.

The main reason I'm bringing this up is it theoretically applies to any magazine capable of holding more than 5 rounds of ammo of a calibre it was not originally designed for. Tube magazine in a shotgun? Well, can it hold more than 5 of those mini shells? Theoretically, it's now prohibited.

Basically, the RCMP is deciding that they write the laws again. Because, y'know, that could never turn out badly.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

cowofwar posted:

Just prohibit magazines entirely. Single round bolt action only. Problem solved.

Even if you're anti-gun as all hell, you gotta admit that letting the RCMP start to make up laws, and invent poo poo nor actually present in Canadian law is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Melian Dialogue posted:

Dogpiling on PT6A is bad enough, but creating a dogpile based off of a really bad interpretation of what he said is even dumber. I get that PT6A is the best we got other than Ikanstki for a "Conservative" poster but go post on your racist uncle's Facebook page if you really need to get your rocks off calling out a right-winger.

I think I'm probably one of the more right-wing people in here, purely because of my views on gun stuff, but the mental illness stuff he was saying is right loving out there. Someone who's completely hosed between mental illness and drugs can be convinced over the course of several months to make a bomb? Lock'em up? That's goddamned insane. There's a lot of hosed up things people can and will do, but picking on the people who legitimately need help, and even implying you're gonna improve poo poo by loving with them even more? Yeah, no, that's straight up bullshit, and deserving of a dogpile.

Also, gently caress Maher, and Freeland has gone up a notch in my book.