Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They spent $911,090.54 in overtime playing this game, as well. more than $4,500 per person involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There was some guy outside my local pharmacy very openly trying to sell fentanyl. I would say at this point it's easier to get fentanyl than it is to get weed.

I think the mix of the economic depression and the invasion of fentanyl has created a perfect storm. If the oil economy ever does come back, there's going to be a huge labor crisis because everybody who was working in the industry during the last boom will have died of an overdose.

I can't picture many of the new strung-out homeless sticking around much into the winter here, I think the first week of -20*c, it'll be hard to find a greyhound ticket to Vancouver.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These problems don't each individually exist in a bubble. The violent crime is an escalation of the petty crime, someone gets caught stealing and can take a beating or pull a knife. The petty crime is a symptom of the drug use, you can't suggest people should be free to produce and sell addictive "recreational" drugs that demand a $50 a day habit to stave off withdrawal as if it's a freedom issue and not a threat to public health or a threat to public safety. Unfortunately as a symptom of the war on drugs and a generation that demonized addiction and mental illness, the only chance a lot of people have for rehab is in prison programs. In the eyes of the voting generation, the only acceptable way to offer housing and help to addicts is with handcuffs. If they want a roof, a meal and some methadone, jail is their easiest option, so steal a car, rob a store, it can't possibly get worse. Police roughing up junkies isn't going to make them less hungry.

It's all part of the larger issue of a living wage being inaccessible to a larger part of the population. A problem that has gotten completely out of control, and is 20 years beyond the opportunity for a course correction. Inflation and poverty numbers have been massaged to the point where margin to manipulate is paper thin. We're a housing crash away from being Russia without the ability to exist within our own sphere. If you want to be able to walk into a store confident that your car is going to be there when you come back out, you can't support the root causes of crimes while disregarding possible remedies. You don't exist in a bubble, either.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The police in red deer constantly complain about being overworked and then set up seatbelt checkstops every loving day with 10 cars sitting there waiting to write seat belt tickets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why don't people in Red Deer wear their loving seatbelts?

So they can be thrown free to safety, obviously.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Helsing posted:

Anyone here regularly read the other national politics threads in D&D? Do they all endlessly fixate on itemizing the long lists of places and consumption habits they hate or is that some kind of uniquely Canadian quirk?

Other countries have real poo poo to worry about like half of their country voting for a guy who keeps asking where the button to nuke china is, or a bunch of racists voting to kick out the entire country's hotel and restaurant staff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

thats cool but what about your car? its fast?

No, i sold the fast car and now all i have are slow cars. I just haven't pissed anybody off enough since to earn a new title. I guess i could try here. Uhhh, Alberta is good and British Columbia is bad. *ducks*

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You had a fast car? I seem to remember you had a Subaru that was mostly used to store things.

Now you have a Lincoln that's so close to ironic hipsterdom it should move to Victoria and open a bed and breakfast in the trunk.

In relation to the FRS which is what earned me the avatar, the 540 was fast.

If i parked the Lincoln in Vancouver i could rent out the front seat and back seat as individual bedrooms.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I want whatever policy gives me more cheese. I'm single issue cheese voter.

I had researched this when it came up before, and you can get a metric ton of shredded cheese from thailand for around $600. Just write "Chinese currency" on the customs declaration and they probably won't even open the container.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

In Canada the streets are paved with cheese.

That explains why they can't hold together for more than a month.

Maybe we should try asphalt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Adding anything to tea just ruins the delicious tea flavor and makes it taste like hot water :mad:

So do you just chew on the tea bag?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Typical Goon posted:

The rcmp were angry that their first made up terrorist got away so they killed the second one

They also said cool one-liners when they shot him like "appeal this"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most dog breeds are so hosed up at this point anyways. Maybe we should accept that people don't have a right to force an animal to suffer because they like the way it looks.

Then again, governments aren't doing poo poo about puppy mills either.

Both problems could be fixed by making it illegal to sell a dog, but legal to give them away. There shouldn't be financial incentive to create as many diseased dogs as possible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Honestly, that seems even worse than anti-black racism in the US, since even most racists who want the police to shoot "thugs" would probably acknowledge that killing a carload of black people just because would cross the line.

Like, gently caress, I don't think there's this much anti-native racism in Alberta, and god knows there's already plenty in Alberta.

You live in Calgary next to a very rich tribe.

Go out to valleyview or rocky mountain house. Places where There is a noticeable amount of crime from the local reservations in otherwise "work camp" like towns. I doubt there's an acreage they could drive onto out there without getting shot. There probably isn't an acreage out there you could drive into after dark without getting shot. A lot of people out there have been repeatedly victimized by thieves and the RCMP come out, look around, say "well, that sucks", and that's the last you hear of it from them. It's not only the natives doing it, but they're the only recognizable group to finger.

In calgary when somebody loots your shed, you assume it's a crackhead and while some of them do stand out, a lot don't because they're in a nice stolen vehicle with nice stolen clothes. In areas near reservations, they assume it's a native, and natives do stand out.

The only time I've ever been stopped at a "paperwork" checkstop was on the road coming out of the o'chiese reservation outside of rocky. They were targeting natives and towing vehicles 50km back to rocky, putting $100s in tickets and a $600 tow charge on $500 vehicles. That's about as close as you'll get to the american style racism here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That same metric paints Australia as the same non-racist color as Canada, and ask them about boat people and their boat people rape camps.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

brucio posted:

This is like the 4th story this month fed to the media from the Conservative party. Gotta hand it to them; they're playing the media like a fiddle, they love ATIPs

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/flight-manifest-trudeau-st-kitts-1.3732608

The cost of hauling those extra passengers and their luggaged burned tens of dollars worth of fuel. Taxpayers tens of dollars.

Time to impeach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Won't someone please think of the stress the wealthy are under :cry:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

On topic: Something that really tells you about the state of Canadian infrastructure and repair these days.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/electronic-sign-shows-vulgar-message-of-relief-about-anthony-henday-1.3788310

Sometimes, I'm proud I'm Edmontonian. :canada:

Wow, everything spelled correctly and everything.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 3, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jim-prentice-plane-crash-killed-1.3804941

not a rumor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

:canada: At least use our language in our thread

Never. That's one step away from having to post everything in french as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

On Sona’s first day in general, three other inmates came calling. They thought Sona had come from PC and were angry about his placement in their unit.

“They told me I had to fight one of them. They said either I fight him or they would all beat me.”

Sona had good reasons for wanting to avoid an incident. He was awaiting the results of his bail hearing and expected to be released in a few days for his appeal. If he got involved in a fight, it could affect his release. But he wasn’t the one calling the shots. One of the three inmates attacked him.

“He hit me a few good shots. But then he slipped and hit his head on the wall. He fell to the floor dazed. Inmates who had been attracted by the fight looked in and thought I could fight. For the rest of those 13 days in jail they left me alone. I was lucky.”

And that man he was forced to fight? none other than Albert Einstein.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Trapick posted:

:psyduck:

Who the hell is that 34%?

Realtors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine if Quebec could block trade deals, they would at every chance just to show how special they are.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

There's this weird idea in north america that poo poo like walkability or basic transit is some unlock your town gets once it gets to a certain high population and there's no way around that. Below that, well, there's no other option than horrible sprawling rural nothingness linked by dirt a paved roads that are incredibly unsafe and uncomfortable to walk or bike on not that anyone could because everyone needs to live hundreds of meters apart on huge properties they mostly don't use otherwise it's agenda-21. There's tons of towns in the 20-50k range that have dense walkable cores and minimal rural sprawl and actual transit systems. They tend to be a fairly dense little village/town with narrow streets and row buildings that give way to detached but still densely placed houses that then give way to farms and countryside with a fairly clear delineation. North american rural development is the absolute loving worst in the world though. We don't even do villages, it's just a random huge area where everyone's as spaced out from each other as possible and there's no centre at all. It's like someone sat down and did the math on how to have the most infrastructure for the smallest tax base, then they all bitch about the lack of services and how everything around them is crumbling. It doesn't matter how big your country is or how much open space exists, it doesn't matter if you're a community of 500 or 5 million, sprawling out as wide and sparse as possible is dumb and wasteful as poo poo and leads to poor garbage communities.

It's always mindblowing to gently caress around with streetview in eastern russia, and seeing these "little towns" which are 6 story apartment buildings edge to edge. places like Sayansk with a population of 40k and 5km corner to corner. Roughly the same size, physically, as stettler, a town of 5,800 people here. Same scale here, both lines here are 3.9km.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Legalize weed. Death penalty for "weed culture"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

Mexico also has relatively calm ocean access on both sides, and is close to the canal

if/when that country really gets its poo poo together it will be a major force in the americas (even moreso than now)

It would be a shame of somebody armed drug cartels do destabilize it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whiskey Sours posted:

Hanlon's razor states that you should "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

This applies doubly to law enforcement, because they're just the people who wanted to put minorities in jail but were too dumb to get into law school and be criminal prosecutors.

It can be both. See: the war on drugs, the war on terrorism, vietnam, watergate, the bay of pigs, etc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I remember reading a hilarious demographics poll of Canadians who support Trump a few weeks ago and it was something like 70% of them were white males with above average incomes (100k+). A lot of the pro-Trump support came from Calgary and Toronto, not rural areas.

Also gently caress Bill Morneau and Bill Blair and everyone else named Bill in politics.

There are human beings in this country who want pile of dog poo poo in a suit Kevin O'Leary to run as leader of the conservative party, and it's not hillbillies.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

How many people have already died letting their overpriced powerwheels drive for them?

None?

There is that one guy that knocked his head off watching harry potter with tesla's mis-named cruise control.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe PM selfie's hair getting a 60% approval rating will at least delay the right wing wave sweeping the western world while he only does borderline deplorable poo poo and not the real nitty gritty concentration camp style stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

the next 4 years are going to be instructive regarding how much the current electorate will actually turn against you for lying to them I think

Unlike the last 50 years where politicians followed through on their campaign promises.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Three years. Trudeau's already had one.

Elections can be 5 years apart. The latest they could call the next is Nov 4 2020.

Seems like a safe date, probably won't be much else going on around then.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He's not wrong.

You're not wrong.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With any luck, a chunk of the conservatives will splinter off into an even further right party and split the vote like they did in alberta. That would allow the other 3 parties to move a little further left, and may allow us to avoid another unchallenged majority government.

Having both the suburbs and the rurals voting for a single party is what gives you trump. The rurals will always vote that way, it's suburbanites that put them into power.
The 50/50 vote split on the right put the NDP into power in Alberta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of them would move to the city if they could afford it, but when you're making $10.72 an hour at the Walmart in loving Quesnel in a $600 2 bedroom apartment, and you're looking at $1100 1 bedroom basement suites in kelowna or $2500 bathtubs in vancouver, it's not really an option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It worked for the Americans. Can you believe they got republicans to select a loving reality TV star as their candidate? Hillary is going to stroll right to the white house. When is the election there, anyways?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not going to be the prairies putting the con's back into power. It's going to be toronto suburbs voting against taxes, throwing muslims under the bus for an extra $430 a year, and quebec voters throwing muslims under the bus to see muslims being crushed by a bus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

While the government did do a lot of dumb poo poo, in 2013 34% of Texas's revenue came from federal aid, 30.1% of their budget went to medicaid. 13.2% of Alberta's revenue came from federal transfers, and 47% went to healthcare, $5.112b in federal transfers against $17b in healthcare costs . In Ontario, 19% of revenues came from federal transfers and 38.5% of expenses went to healthcare, 21.7b against 47.7b. So Texas had federal money cover over 100% of it's largest expense, Alberta around 30%, and Ontario around 45%.

It turns out if you just let people take on massive medical debt, in decreases the immediate burden on the state. The average annual healthcare premium in Texas appears to be around $3000/person, If that was paid as a tax into a single payer system by the 22.3 million people not on medicaid, it would more than double the state's tax revenues. from $2,048 per capita to around $4,200 per capita, nearly matching Alberta's per capita tax revenue of around $4,700 per capita. But then they would have to take care of a bunch of people who shoot themselves and play with fireworks all the time.

So the answer for Alberta, and Canada in general is obvious, austerity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Who the gently caress is sandra jansen

The last female conservative MLA in alberta. Maybe ever?

The conservatives are going to tear themselves apart. Most people who know who Kenney is know exactly who he is.

This might be the first step in alberta staying orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

She has a higher approval rating than Wynne or Clark! :haw:

At the very least she seems honest and transparent. Following the platform to a T, and explaining clearly items in it not being addressed(mostly due to budget).

Most people's major sticking point is the content of their platform but if they turn populist in the last year and run on their record against Kenney's garbage, it should be a win.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 18, 2016