Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
nice of notley to rack up 16 billion in debt for my province and then claim it will balanced after their term is over hmmm yes

though i am loling over the tabacco increase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

jm20 posted:

Did you also vote Harper?

I voted Trudeau, Notley, voted for Nenshi twice, and so did my wife shocking to you I know because most on this sub forum only hang around with their online friends, or if they do have real life ones they all only share the same opinions as you but if you go out into the real world and actually meet people you'll see that you can disagree with a politician but still overall agree with them and that doesn't make you crazy

notley is just doing the same failed thing that the PCs did which is she's banking on oil prices going back up, that's the only logical explanation for how their budget will eventually get balanced and it will be the NDP downfall when it doesn't happen, i'm fully expecting them to leave office with Alberta in debt problems after seeing this budget

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Square Peg posted:

Given the median income in Alberta is only like $42k, it will barely affect anyone.
Hopefully it's just stage 1 and 2 of a 5 step plan towards full communism.

id love communism because then i wouldn't have to work it'd be great.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
until you make transit faster than driving people wont care theyll shovel thousands of dollars out for the faster, more private commute

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
taxes on alcohol and smokes are loving stupid unless you tax sugar/fast food/whatever as well

i got to pay more for beer but the 400 lb guy in my office who has a hundred health problems can buy his 99 cent menu every day

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

jsoh posted:

they are not taxing luxuries because luxuries are bad. they are taxed because people are fuckin hooked on them and will buy them even if they cost too much, and daddy needs a new pair of shoes

so why dont we tax lottery winnings then, maybe because youre wrong? and i can assure you that people are addicted to food nobody gets to be morbidly obese just because of their fibromyalgia

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
the circle jerking in this thread is painful.

at least i guess justin didn't appoint someone like notely did in sarah hoffman, a fat health minister of health who hasn't done anything healthy be it work or exercise in her life

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
god forbid a health minister know anything about nutrition, or medicine, or had worked in a heatlh related finance capacity

just gives me hope though i'll get a cushy tax free job one day

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

sliderule posted:

Also what if she was thin because she suffered from anorexia or bulimia? Maybe we should set up screening to prevent these faux-thinnies from obtaining these positions through deception.

I'd probably have more respect for them as long as they actually had formal education in the field in which they were supposed to be ministering

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
All he did was post a gently caress you got mine but around fast food instead of smokes and booze lol.

What moonshine are you drinking that you don't think fast food et al isn't bad for you and doesn't cause cancer plus many, many other health problems, ever see someone who has sucked down 4 litres of pop a day, their teeth are like a meth addict.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PittTheElder posted:

Because Alberta is a lovely place. I don't think PT6A is technically a professional in the sense that he belongs to one of the independent professional societies, but I know loads of Engineers who are self-incorporated "independent contractors", and then employed by a single company. That way the employee is on the hook for figuring out their benefit packages. Of course there's lots of case law that says that those people aren't really independent contractors, they're employees and should be treated as such, but I don't think there's any labour body to enforce those rules.

People do, sort of. Said "independent contractors" have their personal corporations buy vision/dental insurance, and then provide it as a benefit to the only employee (themselves) and any dependants. It's stupid as hell, and the oil industry is rife with it.

federal government has been cracking down on that for a number of years now some people I know through work got told they owed tens of thousands in back taxes now as the government said if the only reason you're not an employee is because you have a shell company to go through we're considering you a personal services business for the past X years, re-evaluate your taxes, and also become an employee of the company.

Also, companies would force new hires to do this route so they wouldn't have to pay benefits, CPP, and depending on the contract overtime/holiday pay etc so i do have some sympathy for certain people

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I see that Calgary is getting almost 2,500 Syrian refugees in the next two months, possibly the single largest influx of refugees in Calgary ever. Cool, we have lots of jobs available here, I'm also sure that the $695 a month for a family of 4 will buy them the best squalor our city has to offer. But I'm sure with their English skills and professional degrees they'll bounce back extremely quickly and won't be fighting the Somalian gang refugees that plague Calgary already.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The biggest gang problem in Calgary is Somalian refugees who refuse to integrate into society, shootings, killings, drug deals, it's a real problem, I personally don't see anything wrong with having a xenophobic country model, we don't even have a plan for when we bring in these refugees, it's all just for political points, let's take care of our own country first.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

OSI bean dip posted:

I'll bite.

Let's take care of our own country first? Great. Let's start by fixing the infrastructure problems on native reserves, getting the CHMC back into building cooperative housing projects so we can get people out of the hellhole that is the current housing market, and then let's fix the homelessness problem.

You're not racist at all I am sure.

We have so many problems in our own country, in Alberta we're going to have our largest deficit ever, federally we are going to be running a deficit to attempt to boost the economy, now we're going to start bringing in more refugees on top of what we currently allocate, that is just going to cost more money, we can't even get a grip on what's here, why are we trying to fix other people's problems.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
All you people do on here when given a differing opinion is use fallacious rhetoric instead of trying to explain why you disagree, explain to me why with so many problems, and huge deficits all over the country we should be taking on even more refugees on top of what we already do, I for one do not think it's fair to the actual citizens of Canada.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

We've been dropping bombs for over a decade, let's keep dropping more bombs on whoever, wherever, to see if that works! I don't care if we have to bomb 10 innocents to get to that 1 guy with ties to _________!

Don't worry man, we're bringing in 25,000 of them they'll get their chance to blow us up!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm sure that they'll all be vetting extremely well, it's fairly easy to see if someone is a security risk when they have no paperwork and you don't speak their language so you use a translator.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Stretch Marx posted:

Good and I hope they start with you.

Probably will happen in Calgary first, we're the #1 exporter of ISIS fighters from Canada, but yet the Islamic Centre on 8th ave still hasn't been shut down.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dr. Stab posted:

Hmm yes if we shut down the mosques there will stop being terrorists.

Instead we'll just let the ISIS factory churn out fighters because being nice is the canadian way.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Shutting down a known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS will most likely help in letting these senior people doing the radicalizing know that that's not ok in our country, to answer your false dichotomy

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dr. Stab posted:

How is it known that this islamic centre is radicalizing canadians? What is this islamic centre doing that warrants being shut down?

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-brothers-killed-while-fighting-for-isis-1.2162041

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/farah-mohamed-shirdon-of-calgary-fighting-for-islamic-state-of-iraq-and-syria-1.2680206

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
you use a false dichotomy and ask me if I think shutting it down would decrease terrorism, I give a reply.

You then say prove that this place is radicalizing Canadians, I provide the information.

You then move the goal post and say how is this place responsible, all you're doing is straw manning me and moving the goal posts till you find an argument you can actually defend.

That being said is a drinking establishment liable for over serving a customer, would not a place abetting and promoting criminal activities be at the very least partially responsible both legally and morally, I certainly think so.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You're being intentionally obtuse, one of the reasons why DnD is a joke, you can't actually debate and discuss things unless it fits into the left wing SJW hive mind.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
We deserve to be bombed here in Canada because we're too dumb anyways, lord help me lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I have a rational position which I defending and yet every chance you get the regulars just flail their arms and scream about nonsense

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Didn't know Vice did something on that place, also, saying that it's just mentioned in the one article, maybe it's a little Calgary knowledge but that's the only mosque/islamic center in that area, those aren't two separate places

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Professor Shark posted:

What is your rational position?

That all western countries should stop funding the theocratic state Israel because of their war crimes on the Palestinian peoples

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

Ha, I could see my apartment building in one of the establishing shots. Makes sense, as the Islamic Centre in question is only four blocks away.

There used to be a shawarma place in the same building, but it closed down. I hope that didn't have anything to do with the rumours surrounding the Islamic Centre, because it was the only decent shawarma joint in the city.

the chick pea is p good bruh.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You shouldn't need to be rich to have kids but it should be mandatory to have an education and be able to pass some basic competency tests.

It's really too bad that you need a license and testing to drive a car, or own a firearm, but people can have as many kids as they want regardless of how well they can raise them.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Baudin posted:

Clearly we should enforce eugenics because that worked out so well in the past.

Wait its DiI why am I bothering to post. Curses foiled into posting again by notorious bad poster Do It Ironically.

Being an educated parent is not the same thing as eugenics, I never said we should forcibly sterilze people or keep anyone from having families, so you can kindly stop putting words in my mouth :)

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
So when everyone who criticized Trudeau for taking in too many refugees too soon as there wasn't enough time to screen is a racist and bigot but when Justin himself moves the date for the same reasons he gets a pat on the back?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's ok to say that your favourite person broke a campaign promise and looks silly, it happens. Everyone and their dog knew that it was a bad promise.

At least now they can also bring in single men instead of discriminating based on something that they have literally no control over. Oh wait nevermind I just saw a new article that says only gay men can come over, what's the test for that again?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-to-resettle-10000-syrian-refugees-by-year-end-15000-fewer-than-election-promise

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 24, 2015

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

cowofwar posted:

If they are still bringing in 25k people but they need two months more to clear the logistical hurdles then who gives a poo poo?

It was a campaign promise to make him look good compared to the numbers and timeline that the other political leaders were throwing out. He was elected in, to a non zero degree because of this policy along with his other promises. A lot of people saw this as borderline ridiculous and logistically/security wise impossible but were rebuked for reasons. To try to actually meet his deadline he then said, no single males allowed, which is stupid in its own right.

The original number thrown out was 100 million dollars, or just over, the actual amount is now 687 million dollars plus, that's a huge difference. Also with that it now seems that the government is only sponsoring 15,000 people for that 687 million, and the rest will be privately sponsored.

It's not the biggest thing in the world but still makes him look bad.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

This is amazing thank you.

Conservative Alberta makes Ford Nation seem ideologically rigorous. :stare:

lol man that would be a wicked event to go to please. the canadian taxpayers federation isn't an alberta only organization, you know the group that put this on if you read the article, so you're bringing up all albertans being so crazy we make rob ford look good when there was a handful of people at this "sold out" event.

The hate for Alberta is hilarious you should look into your mirror friend :)

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 2, 2015

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
actually all of them are and I have yet to see someone explain to me how a true functioning communist government would work that wasn't worse that what we have here at our current state.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I'm just saying literally the only reason I work is because I don't want to be homeless, the reality that I could be living on the streets gets me up at 5am. If i didn't have to work, I wouldn't, plain and simple, what are you going to force me to work? That's what I don't get because I'm definitely not the only one who thinks this way, are you going to point a gun in my face and force me to?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

So, if you were guaranteed a 500 sq. ft. studio apartment in a safe but otherwise arbitrarily crappy location, you'd decide to just sit on your rear end all day, doing nothing to try to improve your circumstances further?

That's unbelievably unambitious and sad, to be honest. Thank god most people don't think like you do.

Yuu'd probably be surprised if you made it an anonymous survey

why the gently caress would i work, i literally couldn't care less about all of you or helping you out, hosed up but true.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
does it shock you I'm a chemical engineer with a decade plus in my industry?

Eh there are bad people everywhere, I'm not committing murders or doing other criminal activity I just would rather not work if given the choice (or had that option).

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

peter banana posted:

But you probably have some interests, right? Something creative or athletic that you would pursue? Maybe family members who need assistance or will need assistance? It might not benefit others, but loving athletes don't really "help others" directly now and our society still idolize the gently caress out of them as "inspirational" (often because of their philanthropy, money they only have because our goddamn culture worships them so much.)

yeah fair enough I wouldn't consider helping family helping others and depending on your family you're not obligated to help them if say they were really lovely family.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lol did you just compare me to the first female billion dollar author, yeah man sorry I'm not out there being literally the only one of my sex to become a billionaire in an extremely tight industry.

Also, video games are for children and most of my money just goes to the government on one of the hundred forms of taxes I pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

People killing themselves is funny and good because of my political feelings.