Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

That's because regressive poo poo heads assume the most qualified candidates are defacto Male (also usually white) so the idea that women and minorities could be eminently qualified for a position is not something they can reconcile.

But really, it's Trudeau who is being sexist/racist by acknowledging race gender and disabilities at all

I don't know if you've put this quite the right way. It's true that regressive shitheads assume white men are the most qualified at everything.

But there's also a second layer to this, which is the difference between equality of treatment and equality of outcome. Conservative when they talk about equality are almost always talking about equality of treatment, whereas when the left talks about it (I don't say liberals because I don't want to confuse it with the party) we talk about equality of outcome.

Equal treatment in choosing your cabinet means you would look at every MP you've got and decide who is the "most qualified", meaning who has the most experience, who has the most degrees, who has the most time in office, etc. By doing this you would end up with a cabinet dominated by white men, because historically white men have advantages such as being admitted to better schools, rising through corporate or military hierarchies faster, getting elected more often, and getting appointed to influential posts more often. Therefore the cabinet would end up mostly older white men because they have the most experience, but you would not be recognizing the fact that those men got their experience by having small advantages at every stage of their life. You would not necessarily be appointing the most "qualified" candidate for each office, because you are inherently biasing your selection towards people with advantages in life and away from people with disadvantages in life.

On the other hand, equal outcome in choosing your cabinet means you would try to achieve a balanced cabinet along gender, ethnic, etc. lines the way Trudeau did. You will not necessarily be appointing the most experienced person or the person with the most credentials, because you recognize that they may have received those credentials because of built-in advantages due to their gender or race, without actually being more qualified for the post than their competition. It also inherently assumes that women are as smart and competent as men, and minorities are as smart and competent as white people, and that even if you just randomly plotted the intelligence and competence of all your MPs on a bell curve it would be extremely unlikely that all the best ones would be white men. So you end up appointing people with less experience, but who may end up being more competent at their jobs because they might actually be smarter than the white guys who picked up more experience than them along the way.

But the problem is there's no way to measure competence and intelligence before someone is appointed. So when applying equality of outcome to a policy problem, whether it's picking a cabinet or affirmative action or anything else, you face the problem of measurement: it's easy to measure "this white guy has ten years of experience whereas the black woman only has five years" or "this white student has a 90% average whereas the First Nations student has an 85% average" and think it's unjust that the black woman gets picked for cabinet and the First Nations student gets the scholarship, without recognizing that it's easier for the white guy to get experience and the white student to get higher grades because of built-in advantages. But if you're someone who firmly believes that equality should mean equal treatment (David Cameron gave an important speech about this recently calling the British Conservative Party "the party of equality"), which a lot of the time implicitly means "give everyone a fair interview and then appoint the white guy because he has a better resume" then no amount of argument is necessarily going to convince you that a minority woman should get a job over a white man who has more measurable experience.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, you can't really compare Harper's joke cabinet with this one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sedge and Bee posted:

Sure, but especially following on the heels of a cabinet where the minister of defense ( and former minister of a bunch of other important departments) has add his qualifications "former head of Canadian Taxpayers Federation and excellent toadie" it comes off as especially disingenuous. These people really do just care about merit when it's not a white guy.

Don't get me wrong, there are absolutely people out there who use "merit" as a smokescreen for racism, whether they know it or not. But I think it's very important to recognize that there's a deeper underling political fissure over issues just like this one, and saying "it's because they're racists", while at times true, doesn't actually help very much.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

I think I'm going to make a graphic of Harjit Sajjan beside his predecessor Jason Kenny just to point out how absurd the "merit" claims are.

This would be an apt comparison if Kenney had been appointed Minister of Defence in 2007, but you won't convince anyone by saying "This guy who spent eight years as a minister and high profile party leader was unfit to be Minister of Defence."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Is anyone else getting Trudeau overload? Everything he says or does seems to have an article or video. Can we not have a middle ground between no information (Harper) and being verbose (Trudeau)

It's just the honeymoon period, it'll wear off soon enough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Brannock you're not necessarily wrong about some of what you're saying but you're discounting a hell of a lot of genetic factors that kick in once a person does become significantly overweight (obese) that make it incredibly difficult to return to a normal weight, and virtually impossible to return to a normal weight permanently. Those of us with good genes or who have never been overweight often try to make a connection between "I put on 20 pounds once and then worked it off by eating healthier and working out, so why can't 300 pound people do the same thing on a larger scale?" but it's really not that simple.

quote:

A paper published in the journal Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews proposed that “food addiction” is a less accurate description of this condition than “eating addiction”. There is little evidence that people who are driven to overeat become dependent on a single ingredient; instead they tend to seek out a range of highly palatable, energy-dense foods, of the kind with which we are now surrounded.

The activation of reward systems in the brain and the loss of impulse control are similar to those involved in dependency on drugs. But eating addiction appears to be more powerful. As the paper notes, in laboratory experiments most rats “will prefer a sweet reward over a cocaine reward”.

Once you become obese, an article in the Lancet this year explains, biological changes lock you into that condition. Fat cells proliferate. The brain becomes habituated to dopamine signalling (the reward pathway), driving you to compensate by increasing your consumption.

If you try to lose weight, the body perceives that it is being starved, and powerful adaptations (such as an increase in metabolic efficiency) try to bounce you back to your previous state. People who manage, against great odds, to return to a normal weight must consume 300 fewer calories per day than those who have never been obese, if they are not to put the weight back on. “Once obesity is established ... bodyweight seems to become biologically stamped in”. The more weight you lose, the stronger the biological pressure to get back to your former, excessive size.

The researchers find that “these biological adaptations often persist indefinitely”: in other words, if you have once been obese, staying slim means sticking to a strict diet for life. The best you can hope for is not a dietary cure, but “obesity in remission”. The only effective, long-term treatment for obesity currently available, the paper says, is bariatric surgery. This can cause a number of grim complications.

I know this statement will be unwelcome. I too hate the idea that people cannot change their circumstances. But the terrible truth is that, except through surgery, for the great majority of sufferers obesity is an incurable disease. In one respect it resembles cancer: the changes in lifestyle that might have prevented it are unlikely to be of use in curing it.

quote:

People who are merely overweight, rather than obese (in other words who have a body mass index of 25 to 30) appear not to suffer from the same biochemical adaptations: their size is not “stamped in”. For them, changes of diet and exercise are likely to be effective. But urging obese people to buck up produces nothing but misery.

The crucial task is to reach children before they succumb to this addiction. As well as help and advice for parents, this surely requires a major change in what scientists call “the obesogenic environment” (high-energy food and drinks and the advertising and packaging that reinforces their attraction). Unless children are steered away from overeating from the beginning, they are likely to be trapped for life.

quote:

Why do we have an obesity epidemic? Has the composition of the human species changed? Have we suffered a general collapse in willpower? No. The evidence points to high-fat, high-sugar foods that overwhelm the impulse control of children and young adults, packaged and promoted to create the impression that they are fun, cool and life-enhancing. Many are placed in the shops where children are bound to encounter them: around the tills, at grasping height.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/11/obesity-incurable-disease-cameron-punishing-sufferers

The way to tackle obesity is not to say "Buck up, fat people, you lazy slobs, and buy a gym membership!" It's to go to the source and regulate food producers to stop literally poisoning children in order to get them addicted to food that will slowly kill them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

That's exactly what he said:

"it will absolutely work for an individual as long as that individual is honest with themselves and honest in their effort to change" is not exactly true though.

quote:

across a nine-year study of 176,000 obese people, 98.3% of the men and 97.8% of the women failed to return to a healthy weight

http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302773

But I guess "Buck up, fat people, you have a 2% chance of returning to a healthy weight" is better, sure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Suicide is also a net benefit to healthcare spending, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have suicide prevention efforts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Oh man I hope so hard that they dump that dumb thing.

This. It's one of the dumbest wastes of money the Conservatives ever dreamed up and that's saying something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Depressingly predictable, but at least Tory was smart enough not to bid for the Olympics.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Too bad he didn't have those second thoughts before he forced the head of StatsCan to resign rather than peddle incredibly obvious lies on his behalf.

Also the gender-balanced cabinet is coming under a bit of attack as it turns out that 5 of the 15 women are "ministers of state" who get paid less and report to more senior ministers. None of the men are. Michelle Rempel is blowing up her twitter about it so I expect to hear a lot about it from both the CPC and NDP over the next few days.

lmao well at least we got a cabinet that truly represents Canada, wage gap and all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sedge and Bee posted:

A few more major departments heads could have been women, especially since long time mps like Joyce Murray got snubbed, but these positions and all the procedure surrounding them are decades old. The Liberals didn't just decide to make them ministers of state instead of full ones.

They did decide to make all the ministers of state in their cabinet women though, which tells you something.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

while certain parts of the gender parity cabinet are not ideal, we have a women, aboriginal chief as Justice Minister.

I don't think you can convincingly claim the government is using token positions to only technically satisfy their pledge, or that it was actively motivated by a desire to delegate the lower-level portfolios to women

certainly something worth pointing out so you can keep on the government to try and balance out the ministers of state between the two genders, but cmon, the pay gap is less than 10%, this isn't the damning secret that reveals Trudeau's secret sexism

No, but it is an excellent example of how even when you're intentionally and openly trying to get good optics and be equitable by appointing equal numbers of women, overall women still end up in more subordinate and less senior positions than men. One of the traditional big four positions went to a woman, and five out of five of the subordinate positions went to women. It may not say a lot, but it does say something.

It's like saying you appointed half of your company's board of directors to be women, and then it turns out that half the board are subordinate roles that don't get to vote on board decisions, and oh would you look at that coincidentally it turns out those are the roles women ended up filling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good news.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's interesting that Catherine McKenna is the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, yet Dion chairs the committee on environment, climate change, and energy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's a conspiracy, dummies! :byodood:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's not about safety. Keystone, for whatever reason, has become a symbol of the environmental movement in the United States, with rejection of it standing in place for the notion that a large amount of the world's fossil fuels have to remain in the ground forever if we want to not be severely affected by global warming. Pipelines make it easier, faster, and cheaper to transport oil, which makes it easier, faster, and cheaper to extract and sell it, which encourages higher use of oil, which makes global warming worse. For better or for worse, in the United States Keystone XL is the most prominent symbol of this, and rejection of it can override a lot of other bad decision in the optics war--just look at how people have forgotten that Obama allowed drilling in the Alaskan wildlife reserve, just because that happened to be around the same time that he announced he would reject Keystone.

Pipelines aren't scary because they might spill oil, they're scary because they represent a subservience and subordination to the interests of an industry that is eventually going to kill us all, or at the very least make us dramatically readjust the ways we live our lives because the world becomes a more hostile place to live. Fundamentally, we should be rejecting all new pipelines on that principle alone, and even if Warren Buffett happens to make some money out of it (which is not outside the realm of possibility, but typically things that start with "FW: FW: FW: What the Main Street Media Won't Tell You!!!" are not reliable sources of information) I don't give a poo poo. In the US, the most high profile fossil fuel project that is currently the face of this issue is Keystone, and the fact that the various Democratic leaders have all said they oppose it is a good thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

eXXon posted:

I hate to quote a CI post but I'm still wondering what this was supposed to be in response to, or is it just a mini-Hal post apropos of nothing?

Apparently CI is a big fan of Richard Gere. Who knew.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, who will get the JT paperdoll as an av?

Needs to zoom back and forth between his face and the maple leaf imo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mike Holmes's True Story book was one of the best presents I've ever gotten and that Jack Layton comic is perhaps his greatest work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Uber and Airbnb are both run by human scum but they are offering a better service than the older industries with which they compete and I would like it if the businesses that are not run by human scum would adapt their business models to accommodate. Welp that's my opinion on *~the sharing economy~*, thanks for reading.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thehouse/me...allum-1.3305978

quote:

The new Liberal government will fully restore refugee health care as part of their commitment to refugees, said Canada's new immigration minister John McCallum.

quote:

Another file on McCallum's agenda is revoking Bill C-24, he said.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They're also going to let scientists talk again.

It's funny how just undoing a whole bunch of stuff Harper did is enough to look like good governance.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

toe knee hand posted:

My mom just had eye surgery for something that sounds pretty similar and it was covered (in BC). She had to pay to rent some equipment to make the recovery easier, but that was it.

There's a difference between literally surgery only on your eye (often covered) and regular eye checkups and glasses/contact lenses (not covered except in certain specific circumstances). Funnily enough afaik the same doesn't apply to dental procedures, dental surgery is almost never covered.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

Conservatives should hit up Brad Wall. He has conservative creds the base will like without sounding like a knuckle dragging troglodyte.

For whatever reason it's very uncommon for Canadian politicians to migrate from provincial to federal politics. You see them move down from federal to provincial fairly regularly (usually, I would imagine, after realizing they'll never get a shot at the top job but they could still be a premier or provincial cabinet minister) but it's very rare for premiers or provincial party leaders, even successful and popular ones, to try and move up. We're very unlike the US in that regard, where it seems like half the country's governors only see their role as a temporary one until they can run for president.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eej posted:

Wow I just realized that Olivia Chow resigned from her MP spot in her failed bid for mayor of Toronto and then didn't get re-elected in the federal election.

She got completely crushed, too. Vaughan had over twice as many votes as her and won an outright majority (57%) of all votes cast.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

What do you think were the main causes of this?

a) Demographic change in the riding
b) Riding redistribution changes
c) Candidate
d) Trudeau-mania
e) other?

In the past I was under the impression it was a clearly NDP leaning riding, but clearly that's changed.

I think it has the most to do with this:

The Liberals absolutely swept Toronto, they completely wiped out the NDP in every single riding. Of course there are local factors that Helsing mentioned, like Chow never actually being a particularly inspiring campaigner and the redistricting shifting the riding boundaries, and Vaughan being a pretty popular politician in the area dating back to his time as a much-liked city councillor for the area, but the crux of the matter is that Trudeau's national campaign crushed Mulcair's and Toronto was no exception.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jm20 posted:

Doesn't Alberta have basically 3D6+X as their price guide? Insurance is meant to cover you when bad things happen as well, you would be wise to have some lest you become a debt slave (to a non mortgage lender)

ed: wait aren't you in tech? How are you a professional without benefits?

afaik he's a self-employed tech contractor, so he doesn't get benefits unless he buys them himself.

But yeah for 99.9% of Canadians you either don't have dental/vision benefits or your employer provides them. I don't think I know anybody who actually buys dental insurance on their own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Man the trudeaumetre site is a cesspool in the comments.

As I expected the climate change and indigenous peoples sections attracted terrible people like flies to poo poo.

Heh, bring in those 25,000, but be forewarned, that anywhere between 2% to 30% will be islamists that hate our way of life, and have been brought up with a daily diet of Jew and Western hatred.
We are already spending over $2 billion on CSIS and security from the 5th column that we already let in, so there is no problem with our soon spending close to $10 billion a year on CSIS to protect us from the islamists that will surely be imbedded with these refugees, as promised by ISIS.
That I now have to wait for 6 months for my cancer treatments, because of the lack of facilities, and being pushed to the back of the line, doesn't really bother me. No new health facilities being built, tax attacks against our Doctors, make me real happy.
I must admit, that I like your creativity, and God willing, I will be around to see the fruits of that creativity.
I also wish you and Justin, all the best in your discussions with Caliph al-Bagdhadi.
Perhaps, YOU will be successful in convincing al-Bagdhadi that he doesn't really understand the peaceful islam of that famous warlord mohammed.
As i stated earlier, if I'm still around in 5 years, I'll check back with you on your progress.
Just remember, your approach of kumbaya, has been tried, all be it partially against the islamic state, for over 2 years now, and ISIS is bigger and stronger than ever, and yes, they have now graduated to bringing down civilian airliners.
I'm waiting.
Good luck and God bless

e: note how this exact post by some Trun Canadian Patroit would also function equally well as ISIS propaganda.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My solution to the poo poo water dilemma is to levy a fine on the city of Montreal that is large enough that it makes it cheaper for them to build new infrastructure than to dump it in the river.

Literally the only thing that will make them not do this is if we somehow make it more expensive to dump poo water than to properly deal with it, so that is what we should do.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Spelling it "apparatchick" makes me think of sexy lady bureaucrats which is probably not what they were going for.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The Toronto Airport shenanigans are a perfect example of how a lot of fights in our country come down to corporate interests versus public interests. Namely, the people who live there don't want this thing to happen, but corporations do want it to happen so they can make slightly more money. Theoretically, in a democracy like ours, the people who actually live there should have a say in whether or not something disruptive to their lives happens. Of course, sometimes this leads to NIMBYism and people resisting wind turbines in rural areas, but in a case like this one I'm pretty glad that the airport won't be expanded considering it's not like Toronto lacks air connections to anywhere at the moment, and I hate the fact that so much of our society revolves around what rich businesspeople want.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Presto is dumb and bad though. Like, of all my friends who live in the city maybe like, one of them has it. I sure as hell don't. Sure if you live in the burbs and take GO but it's just not practical yet. Because it's at like, half the subway stations, like two streetcar lines (I know they were promising to upgrade all the old streetcars but have they actually got off their asses and super-glued the readers to them yet?) and no or barely any buses.

Also it doesn't track balances in real time and takes 24 hours to add funds to your account online. Of course you can buy pre-loaded ones ($8 worth plus $6 issuing fee lol). But only at terminals at Queen's Park and Union Station IIRC. Loading in person is faster but I'm pretty sure you can only do that at GO Stations?

So yeah I don't think a tourist can easily rely on just Presto. Maybe after they finish the roll-out like they promised. But it's taking loving forever.

Pretty soon tourists will have to rely on just Presto because the TTC's plan is to have the entire system run solely on Presto by the end of 2016, when they will stop selling tickets and tokens, and by the middle of 2017 they will stop accepting tickets and tokens so it's either use Presto or pay the full cash fare.

Presto is not a great system compared to card systems in other transit networks around the world, but it is about 1000% better than what the TTC has now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, to change from buschat here is all the ministerial mandate letters for you guys. Yes, we made them public. Why?

because it's 2015

(No, I am tired of that line yet)

I like some of what I see here. For example, in the Defence letter:

quote:

working with the Minister of Public Services and Procurement to launch an open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft, focusing on options that match Canada’s defence needs

No more F-35? :woop:

quote:

Work with senior leaders of the Canadian Armed Forces to establish and maintain a workplace free from harassment and discrimination.

in Justice:

quote:

Lead a process, supported by the Minister of Health, to work with provinces and territories to respond to the Supreme Court of Canada decision regarding physician-assisted death.

Develop, in collaboration with the Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, and supported by the Minister of Status of Women, an approach to, and a mandate for, an inquiry into murdered and missing Indigenous women and girls in Canada, including the identification of a lead Minister.

Review our litigation strategy. This should include early decisions to end appeals or positions that are not consistent with our commitments, the Charter or our values.

You should conduct a review of the changes in our criminal justice system and sentencing reforms over the past decade with a mandate to assess the changes, ensure that we are increasing the safety of our communities, getting value for money, addressing gaps and ensuring that current provisions are aligned with the objectives of the criminal justice system. Outcomes of this process should include increased use of restorative justice processes and other initiatives to reduce the rate of incarceration amongst Indigenous Canadians, and implementation of recommendations from the inquest into the death of Ashley Smith regarding the restriction of the use of solitary confinement and the treatment of those with mental illness.

quote:

Support the Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in his efforts to repeal key elements of Bill C-51, and introduce new legislation that strengthens accountability with respect to national security and better balances collective security with rights and freedoms.

quote:

Introduce government legislation to add gender identity as a prohibited ground for discrimination under the Canadian Human Rights Act, and to the list of distinguishing characteristics of “identifiable group” protected by the hate speech provisions of the Criminal Code.

I would post more, but holy hell that website is making GBS threads the bed for me.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Amgard posted:

Where does JT talk about weed. This is critical.

That's in Justice:

quote:

Working with the Ministers of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness and Health, create a federal-provincial-territorial process that will lead to the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The sheer irony of a Liberal named Trudeau sweeping to power and undoing everything Harper did is somehow so delicious that it makes up for the fact that the Libs will eventually Lib.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

Ikantski, I bet you cannot go a week without posting about the OLP and their follies.

Ikantski will go a week without posting about how terrible the OLP is when the OLP goes a week without being terrible.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

But don't worry, its all probably just a group of people with mental illness who randomly scouted out locations, geared up and assaulted and killed over 40 people. Im sure this won';t have anything to do with the Islamic State, no need to worry guys. Random event, just like a natural disaster.

Jesus Christ, Melian, now is really not the time for your weird vendetta against certain points of view that disagree with yours.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

"Now's not the time" as if our posting on a comedy forum in Canada has some effect on a live situation. I picture a French cop just about to gear up and storm the Bataclan but then, a pop up comes with my message and he stops and angrily has to respond, unfortunately letting precious minutes tick by.

Do you seriously not see the difference between what people were saying about Zehaf-Bibeau and this? It's not about you actually having an effect on the situation, it's about you trying to score weird points in some imaginary shitposting conflict no one else cares about.

"Heh, 40 people are dead? Sweet time for me to make a sick burn on CanPol posters who disagree with me :smug:"

Go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
From a Canadian context, since this is still a CanPol thread, let's remember that our military is in very very poor shape and even if we do decide to do an abrupt about-turn and not withdraw our forces from Syria, they make very little difference there. On the other hand, we do have a fairly well developed humanitarian relief system that could help ameliorate the suffering of the millions of displaced people in and outside of Syria, and a safe society that can welcome Syrian refugees. If you ask me, we should probably be leaving the military stuff to countries that actually have a strong capacity to act on that, like France and the United States, and we should instead be focusing our efforts on relieving the suffering of the Syrian civilian population, especially since this is theoretically something military powers like France and the US would be doing anyway so we can still be lightening their workload and allowing them to focus slightly more on the military mission that everyone has a hardon for. Division of labour and specialization is a thing outside of economics, and this is a case where our specialization is really not in the application of military force.

Also, friendly reminder that if anyone you know starts spouting off about how the Paris attack means we shouldn't be allowing Syrian refugees into Canada, probably the best response you can make is to point out that trying to get away from men like that is exactly the reason these refugees are fleeing Syria in the first place. If we're scared for ourselves in a safe country like Canada, imagine how afraid the refugees must feel having lost their homes, their friends, their family members, and their belongings, and try to feel some empathy for them by imagining how amazing it must be to be granted a new home in a country where you no longer have to fear for your life on a daily basis.