Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good new thread.

Do you have links to articles from security / privacy people who say that the suggested c51 changes don't go far enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

None of these comment on the proposed changes. Like, at all. Because they are from much earlier in the year.

The list of changes that I've seen pretty much is this:

quote:

— Guarantee that all Canadian Security Intelligence Service warrants respect the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. This would roll back provisions allowing CSIS to disrupt terror plots through tactics that contravene the charter as long as a judge approves. Critics have called the provisions an extraordinary inversion of the judicial role to uphold — not sanction violations of — the charter;

— Require the Security Intelligence Review Committee, the watchdog over CSIS known as SIRC, to examine all activities the spy agency carries out under its new threat reduction mandate and have the committee provide an annual report to the public safety minister and Parliament on its findings;

— Establish a security-cleared, all-party, national security committee that would have access to any relevant information under the control of federal departments and agencies. This would help broaden review of security activities, given that each watchdog is now largely limited to keeping an eye on a single agency. For instance, SIRC can monitor CSIS activities but it is generally forbidden from peeking over the shoulder of other agencies, even if CSIS has dealings with them;

— Require the government to review all appeals by Canadians on the no-fly list. A person on the list can ask the public safety minister to remove their name, but the minister is not bound to reply. If no ministerial reply is made within 90 days, it is registered as an automatic decision not to remove the person from the list;

— Narrow overly broad definitions, such as "terrorist propaganda." The law gives judges the authority to order seizure of terrorist propaganda as well as its removal from Canadian websites. Such propaganda is defined, in part, as "any writing, sign, visible representation or audio recording that advocates the commission of terrorism offences in general.";

— Require the federal privacy commissioner to submit an annual report to Parliament on information sharing — a check on new provisions that significantly expanded the exchange of material across federal agencies about activity that "undermines the security of Canada.";

— Limit the powers of the Communications Security Establishment, Canada's electronic spy service, by requiring a warrant to engage in the surveillance of Canadians. CSE is already prohibited from targeting Canadians with its vast spying capabilities, but acknowledges it cannot monitor global communications in the modern era without gathering at least some Canadian information. Currently the defence minister can authorize CSE activities that would otherwise risk breaching the Criminal Code provision against intercepting the private communications of Canadians;

— Require a statutory review of the full anti-terrorism law after three years;

— Prioritize community outreach and counter-radicalization efforts by creating the Office of the Community Outreach and Counter-radicalization Co-ordinator;

— Once the Liberal bill is tabled, undertake broad public consultations to seek input from subject-matter experts and Canadians generally.

That seems like more than just adding oversight.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBC posted:

wheres the moron who was arguing in the other thread that prominent gay politicians don't have a responsibility to come out of the closet

They don't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Gay people who contribute to oppressive political movements should be criticized imo.

everyone who doesn't agree with me should be criticized imo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are shitheads.

I too would like it if gay people who appreciate their privacy stay out of politics.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He has lovely politics so what dislike him all you want for that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

brucio posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/tom-mulcair-post-election-niqab-1.3289816

I don't get this. Mulcair was reluctant to say anything about the niqab when it came up, and he hid behind the courts decision when it was discussed during the French debate. Is he trying to say that he was principled here?

I think he's saying he's an idiot who wants to ignore the fact that the Liberals took essentially the same position.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In provincial news, Alberta budget comes out today. They're saying deficits until 2020. It'll be interesting to see how this flies.

Its a good thing they've got a majority.

e: I liked Trudeau's bit where he both tried to downplay it, while also attacking Harper on women's rights / abortion as a response. It was pretty effective in that one debate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm upset about the regressiveness of these taxes, it should just be a one hundred percent tax on PT6A.

It's not a regressive tax disproportionately targeting the poor if they're doing something morally wrong.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Neither smoking nor drinking, nor illegal drug use in fact, is morally wrong. They are all amoral.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. Taxes like this are lovely.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

Somehow I'm not surprised that Harper left 24 Sussex in poor shape, all things considered

It's been an issue since before Harper, and the reason they leave it that way is because it looks bad when the PM is paying 10 million dollars to fix the house they live in. Good on Trudeau to risk lovely press to do this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat right. Eliminate corporate tax, massively increase personal income tax for those above the median.

Don't like it? Leave. The company that hired you is going to stay though, and will find someone else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

So you advocate abolishing tax on the profits of corporations and making that up by massively increasing personal income tax on people making above $30,000?

Median not average. But yes. I am hugely in favour of significantly higher marginal tax rates for top income brackets. Of which I would argue we should have significantly more.

Also yes part of this means changing how we tax capital gains, as well as the rules around corporations of one.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

Every city and small town is famous for that, it's a mountie tradition. If the local police are something other than mounties, they're just keeping up standards.

Happened to my sisters dad a bunch, then he shot himself a whole mess of mounties. Was a pretty good day.

If we weren't on a list for posting here before, we are now. Christ.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nocturtle posted:

Honestly I though this was the new normal? Who gets a good job these days with just an undergrad? I'm pretty sure you'd find plenty of applicants in this scenario.

Learn SAP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Falloutboy posted:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/whats-an-unemployed-politician-to-do/

Ugh this is depressing...Can't believe he's wearing a star wars shirt.

I am really happy this person is no longer an MP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cultural Imperial posted:

That Richmond, 52, stabbed his 28-year-old wife Melissa Richmond to death on July 25, 2013, is not in dispute.

Testifying in his defence at his first-degree murder trial, Richmond told a jury he was playing “the bad man” in a pre-arranged rape-fantasy tryst just after midnight on July 25, 2013. Dressed in black and armed with a screwdriver and knife, he hid in the bushes at the edge of a parking lot, sprang out on cue as Melissa walked by and “slipped into character.”

:wtf:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Also, he didn't scare men by being attractive enough that they became irrationally afraid their wives wanted to gently caress him. Which, beyond all reason, actually seemed to be an issue with Trudeau.

Trudeau is basically Lennon, no marriage is safe.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You do the back pat because it demonstrates dominance. Given it moved you to silence it seems to have worked.

That's a really weird story though man. I'm guessing you misinterpreted generic hand movement to be something else, but maybe Harper is a weirdo who gets off from tickling men / teenage boys while being photographed. (insert joke about Baird here)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Some conservative men are mad because an MLA in Alberta is having a baby and now she's demanding parental leave at the long-suffering taxpayer's expense! (she's actually not) How could she be so irresponsible as to have a child while having a job! What about her constituents?!!

I don't think elected officials should get parental leave (and MPs don't, as far as I understood it). On-site child care is a good and reasonable thing to have.

e: also from that article:

quote:

The Wildrose party said it will filibuster the motion because it had agreed to a 10 a.m. session start three days a week, which it said the government pushed to 9 a.m. without notice. The Official Opposition also said an earlier legislature start time means an earlier workday overall, since MLAs must prepare for bill debates.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 4, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Melian Dialogue posted:

Uhh why not? Shouldn't they have the same labour rights afforded to anyone else?

It's a form of highly paid short term employment that is basically equivalent to what a self-employed consultant would undertake. I'm all for making accommodations such as child care on site (and they basically set their own hours anyway, so more of that), but not for taking extended time off.

Stretch Marx posted:

Today is my 30th birthday. I get to celebrate it with the best gift of all: watching that shithead Harper resign.

Well, you get to hear about it secondhand. I'm sorry I couldn't take the morning off and go to see Trudeau and the rest show up.

Apparently there will be 28 ministers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think expectations are and should be different in different types of employment.

Anyway in other news you'll be happy to hear Kent Hehr is in cabinet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Why? Does this apply to all labour laws in your mind, or just the ones concerning leave?

All labour laws. Expectations on placing yourself in danger, on hours worked, on leave conditions all vary based on employment type. I don't see anything wrong with this. There need to be good reasons for not following the norm, but I'd say the nature of short term employment for elected officials is a good enough reason to limit non-essential leave. Plus, parental leave is nice, but less important than the other things organizations do to accommodate parents.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They've said like 25 minister names but I haven't seen Goodale mentioned. Wonder if he gets snubbed.

Nope

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some odd ones there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Biggest snubs? I'm thinking Blair and Leslie.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finance, Defense, immigration, public safety are all probably bigger than those. Except for Justice and Environment, those seem really prominent positions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kafka Esq. posted:

Sci-Tech went to Navdeep Bains, who is an entrepreneur?

edit: Hmm.. Duclos is Youth, Social Housing. Has significant actual policy research.

Skews heavily towards poverty research too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mulcair is speaking to reporters at 3:15. Curious to hear what he has to say.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ZeeBoi posted:

NDP already bitched about the size of the cabinet

Yeah I saw that. Too big! (i do think stressing you'll have a smaller cabinet then going with 30 is kind of silly, but I assume they just didn't realise the difficulty of representing different groups with a cabinet of ~25)

I continue to really dislike Mulcair.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

I was initially really surprised Leslie wasn't picked for Defence, but after reading Najjan's bio I think it's a great idea.

I laughed at the response I heard (second hand) from someone close to Leslie. There is a definite "military elite" in this country. And they are white.

It'll be interesting to see what impact the new guy has. It he's implementing Leslie's plan anyway... He was (in addition to being actual military) a full time reservist if I'm not mistaken, something Leslie recommended mostly doing away with.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hexigrammus posted:

Well, Guru Nanek's best friend was Muslim, so the founder of the religion was a fellow traveller.

Pity Sohi doesn't wear a turban. The meltdown from those on the wrong side of the 1980s "no turbans in the mess" nonsense would be delicious.

Listening to the Minister of Justice's CV my first reaction was "I had no idea someone like her existed!"

She was in that tight Vancouver race where leadnow endorsed the NDP candidate (a friend of the leadnow founder).

Pretty cool story about how Trudeau heard her speak and afterwards chased her to run for them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

you did it tom :canada:

Continuing to act like he didn't just lead his party to an incredibly disappointing election result after an incredibly disappointing campaign - check that box, mission accomplished.

I'd feel a lot better about the NDP if I heard some mea culpas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BGrifter posted:

We're settling in for a four year nap. There's nothing Mulcair or any New Democrat could do that would matter one bit four years from now. Mulcair could smear himself in chicken blood and streak through parliament screaming "Blood for the blood God, skulls for the Skull Throne!" and it'd be forgotten long before an election were called.

It's time to chill and watch Trudeau do his thing. As of right now there isn't really a government for the NDP to offer an alternative to yet.

What the Liberals started to do in 2011 set them up for 2015.

Maybe the NDP will reflect on the nature of their failure between now and April, and on how they can put themselves in a position to form our next government, but they're not really saying anything in public to suggest that's what is going to happen.

We will have another election in only 4 years. The time to start planning how to win it is right now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been bitching about the NDP (along the lines of what Helsing posts about) to my mom, and she sent me this article this morning: http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/glavin-the-ndp-and-the-crisis-on-the-left

quote:

It’s been more than two weeks since Canadians gifted Trudeau with the grand electoral victory that New Democrats had convinced themselves was rightfully theirs, and there is still no sign that anyone in the vote-ravaged ranks of the NDP leadership is capable of even wondering out loud: What the hell happened?

There is no sign of methodical evaluation, serious self-criticism, or intelligent life. Instead, there is a kind of paralysis, a going-through of motions, as though having been reduced from Official Opposition and government-in-waiting to third-party House of Commons rump was such a blow as to have triggered a kind of collective psychotic episode. It was evident the moment polls closed October 19.

Her comment was: did you write this? I'd ask the same of Helsing. Looks like even people on the right are noticing the way the NDP is handling this defeat.

Some other stuff after reflection from yesterday:

- I really hate how the government can create, merge, and split departments on what is essentially a politically motivated whim. I would love to see legislation to prevent that from happening. It's incredibly costly and damaging to the people involved in the actual transitions. It's one thing to have a government in power for a decade and make minor changes along the way, but to come in and rehaul departments that are still in transition from the last government coming in and doing the same thing, is just plain stupid.

- The NCC portfolio is going to someone who isn't from Ottawa (Joly, as minister of heritage). At first glance, I don't like that at all.

- The media is really overplaying the work of the ministers and downplaying the work of the bureaucrats. For example, the Citizen had a piece saying how much of a challenge it will be for the immigration minister to come in and figure out how to get 25000 refugees here in 2 months. It in fact won't be a challenge for him at all. He'll meet with the deputy and say "hey we need 25000 refugees from Syria" and the deputy will say "yeah we know, we're working on it". His input will be to tell the bureaucrats to do it, and to be mad at them if they don't do it. The ministerial role is to set priorities and targets that are actually achievable, and to pick key personnel to help implement them, but the actual work has always been done, and will continue to be done, by the people who are there regardless of the government. (e: also to take the blame in the press if things go badly, which isn't unimportant)

- McKenna was on CBC this morning and really needs to go talk to a speech person about her incredible overuse of the phrase "you know".

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 5, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder if joining the NDP and trying to reform it from within is a viable strategy? I heard party insiders have a way of keeping the dissent down and ensuring the status quo remains.

Wtf? Why do I have a Bonzi Buddy avatar?

I dunno but I took Helsing's advice and joined.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Also Catherine McKenna is the sister of Patrick McKenna right? I didn't imagine that? I could've sworn it was mentioned in a past thread but googling reveals no info one way or the other

Patrick McKenna is from Hamilton, and his mom is named Pat. That can't be a coincidence.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I heard that line in the early 1990s in every form of popular media. At the time it was "welcome to the 90s". Sad that someone thinks they should assign credit to something like that. This is no "axis of evil".

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

a primate posted:

I could have sworn we had a forum for this...

They'd agree with Brannock.

Bunny - I am totally down for getting you that beer I said I'd buy if the Libs won a majority. Maybe after going for a run :)

Rona Ambrose as interim leader is interesting if only because of the leaders of the opposition parties being invited to go to the climate talks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The letter (and all the other assorted stuff like US reports) going around about Sajjan is pretty ridiculous. It doesn't mean he'll do a good job, but the guy is certainly talked about in glowing terms, not just his "military" qualities like bravery etc, but his intelligence, and the quality of his analysis. When is the last time we had a defense minister with that level of personal experience in the military?

quote:

LETTER OF APPRECIATION—DETECTIVE CONSTABLE NUMBER 1967-HARJIT SAJJAN

1. I have had the pleasure of having Constable and Major Harjit Sajjan work for me for the past nine months on OPERATION ARCHER/ATHENA, Canada’s contribution to the global war on terror in Afghanistan. I must say that Major Sajjan is one of the most remarkable people I have worked with, and his contribution to the success of the mission and the safety of Canadian soldiers was nothing short of remarkable.

2. Maj Sajjan was specially selected for the demanding and challenging task of acting as the Liaison Officer to the Afghan National Police on behalf of the Combined Task Force (CTF) Aegis HQ because of the civilian skillset he brought to the table as an undercover narcotics officer. His job further changed into being a special intelligence officer working direct to Commander CTF Aegis because of his ability to understand and exploit criminal networks. He consistently provided the most timely and accurate intelligence available, and he personally fused broad sources of information into an extremely coherent picture upon which most of the formations major operations were based. Not only did he display a rare high level of intellect and experience in his analysis, he also demonstrated remarkable personal courage in his collection efforts, often working in the face of the enemy to collect data and confirm his suspicions, and placing himself almost daily in situations of grave personal risk. His products were cogent and demonstrated a profound understanding of the Taliban (TB) and tribal networks which were critical to making formation and unit operations successful. He was the best single Canadian intelligence asset in theater, and his hard work, personal bravery and dogged determination undoubtedly saved a multitude of Coalition lives. Through his courage and dedication, Major Sajjan has singlehandedly changed the face of intelligence gathering and analysis in Afghanistan.

3. He tirelessly and selflessly devoted himself to piecing together the ground truth on tribal and Taliban networks in the Kandahar area, and his analysis was so compelling that it drove a number of large scale theatre-resourced efforts, including OPERATION MEDUSA, a large scale conventional combat operation that resulted in the defeat of the largest TB cell yet identified in Afghanistan, with over 1500 Taliban killed or captured. I rate him as one of the best intelligence officers I have ever worked with—fearless, smart, and personable, and I would not hesitate to have him on my staff at any time in the future. I have advised my chain of command that the Canadian Forces must capture his skillset, and seek his advice on how to change our entire tactical intelligence training and architecture to best meet the needs of future deployed units fighting in extremely complex human battlespace.

4. I cannot thank you enough for allowing Constable Sajjan to deploy with us on OPERATION ARCHER, and he has been an outstanding representative of the Vancouver City Police. I would ask that you pass my personal thanks on to Constable Sajjan, and to those who supported him and his family while he was over here with us. I pray that he stays safe now that he returns to the challenges and dangers of his “everyday job,” and ask that if I can ever be of assistance to either Constable Sajjan, or your Department, that you do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

David Fraser

Bridgadier General

Commander, CTF Aegis