Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sedge and Bee posted:

That's literally the argument against all sin taxes and lol if you think taxes on things like alcohol don't have a disproportionate effect on the poor compared to the rich.

Ya all sin taxes are bad. All sales taxes are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MohawkSatan posted:

I'd much rather see more of this than this dumb debate.

That mustache.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

colonel_korn posted:

Too bad he didn't have those second thoughts before he forced the head of StatsCan to resign rather than peddle incredibly obvious lies on his behalf.

Also the gender-balanced cabinet is coming under a bit of attack as it turns out that 5 of the 15 women are "ministers of state" who get paid less and report to more senior ministers. None of the men are. Michelle Rempel is blowing up her twitter about it so I expect to hear a lot about it from both the CPC and NDP over the next few days.

At least pay is based on merit amirite

(i don't get this. They chose to make a big deal of the gender equality. How do you not anticipate media looking a bit deeper than the first photo shoot... see also committee appointments)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sedge and Bee posted:

These are minister of state positions because they fall beneath other ministries as a sub-portfolio. It's not like they made a choice to have those 5 positions pay less, parliamentary procedure calls for them to get about 20,000 less. Not area any of those positions new creations. Reading the article it sounds like they might just change the procedures?

Still this seems pretty weak as an attack. Mulcair's minister for sport wouldn't have been paid any more than Trudeau's.

E: Coyne's complaint about men dominating committees is a lot more cogent than this.

The issue being that the minister of state positions all went to women.

e: They made the choice to have those positions fall under the other ministries.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 6, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ah yes the government that created, separated, merged, and eliminated ministerial positions HAD to keep the minister for state positions.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not secret sexism, it's a lack of attention to detail.

That liberal official comment kind of reinforces this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

yup, that the bias in society continue to exert influence and that we need to keep working against them, and hopefully it will be something looked into for subsequent cabinets. I just can't really see this as a huge scandal though, you can't reverse systemic marginalization overnight.

No, but you can reverse marginalization within your own sphere of control. Which the Liberals chose not to do. The only reason it's even worth talking about is because they made a show of gender parity being important to them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dallan Invictus posted:

Note that the Orders-in-Council in question still refer to the various positions that were altered by their old names. This is because those names, along with their status as a state or full ministry, and the associated pay rates, are specified in legislation.

Parliament is not currently sitting. Presumably any law that needs to be changed to match the government's commitments will be amended when it is.

Thanks Dallan. Did not know that, obviously. It explains the comment from the Liberal guy. Poor show by the reporter to not provide that context.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're starting to create the narrative that will get them back in power.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah he is something else. Definitely one of, if not the, most intriguing new cabinet ministers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Environment Canada gave them conditions to be met. McKenna said if the city met the conditions they could go ahead with the dumping.

quote:

Calling the city's plan "far from ideal," McKenna agreed with the findings of an independent panel of scientists that the city's planned release this fall was preferable to an accidental release of waste water caused by Montreal's decaying sewer system.

e: like even environmentalists are saying they have to do it, they're just suggesting they do it in winter

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

There has to be a better way; I'm not really keen on trusting what an economist has to say about it because those fuckers worked out long ago that dumping garbage on public property is cheaper than dealing with it. Like how about treating it and releasing it more gradually, or like not into a big public waterway?

You realize that the Environment minister isn't actually determining whether or not it's a good idea to go ahead with this, right?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

If there's no other option than so be it, but if there's another option, even an expensive one, then they should be paying for it to make them think twice about being lax in the future, but they're going to dump it and nothing is going to change except the level of used condoms on the shores

Maybe they could send the city into the corner to think about what it did.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

nice contribution

You're right, that's a silly idea. A much better and more realistic idea would be to force Montreal to pay heavy fines to proceed with much needed sewage infrastructure repairs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

My solution to the poo poo water dilemma is to levy a fine on the city of Montreal that is large enough that it makes it cheaper for them to build new infrastructure than to dump it in the river.

Literally the only thing that will make them not do this is if we somehow make it more expensive to dump poo water than to properly deal with it, so that is what we should do.

What does this even mean?

You want to levy a fine large enough that Montreal will need to build new sewers in that section of town?

The point of this is so that they can do maintenance work and avoid an even larger problem occurring due to overflows.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I do think we have a system that is both far too easy on truly abhorrent criminals, and far too hard on pretty much anyone else. (especially people who have to serve their sentences in provincial jails, or who have to await trial on remand in provincial jails)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It seems like they do some good stuff around human rights.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Prime Minister Harper himself, however, is just an ordinary guy. Unlike the last few prime ministers, he didn’t come from a rich family or have a bunch of insider connections. He was driven to his inauguration in a minivan! Heck, he still personally drops off his kids at school! And just check out this totes adorbs photo of him cuddling a little kitty!

I remember many, many articles about this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's not easy to get rid of federal judges in Canada. This is generally probably a good thing.

^^^^ she is loving awful. No admission of responsibility whatsoever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Drunk driving isn't the same as a murder you plan out and wilfully commit. It's a lot closer to manslaughter.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

Vehicular homicides face the same maximum penalties as manslaughter, however they are treated lighter overall than the manslaughter charge.

Gonna want to see some numbers on this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Median custodial sentence for homicide in Canada is like 6 years.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Herh said they would be reopening those offices but maybe putting them in different locations.

Links to your other two claims please.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What exactly are you complaining about?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

You life doesn't matter, our justice system is a joke.

I can imagine it would be hard to get a conviction when some of the employees were high.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jm20 posted:

Go visit a construction site, and report back to this thread.

You don't think the workers being high might affect their employer's culpability to some degree?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They just live there, why don't you ever think about the people who have to work there and fly in. What about their needs?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good companies that do well by their employees don't need handouts. I don't care how well Bombardier treats their employees. We could take that money and give it directly to them if that was what concerned us. We don't need to filter it through a terribly run company first.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone in Canada gets released early barring them serving real serious charges. This makes sense. You don't want people just released without some conditions attached.

Longer sentences don't necessarily lead to better outcomes, but I think there is a punitive component to our justice system that the left too often ignores. In particular I have a lot of trouble with some sentence lengths (violent crimes, especially sexual, seem too short to me when compared to other crimes), but you would require a pretty comprehensive overhaul of our system of justice to really address that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sedge and Bee posted:

Why is incarceration a good choice for punitive measures? If we want to punish someone then flogging or some other form of physical punishment, or even forced labor, would seem to work as well.

The modern penitentiary system came into being as a result of people moving away from punitive measures towards attempts at rehabilitation and moral reform. Length of prison sentence doesn't seem to have any effect on deterrence, and tough on crime initiatives have been failures everywhere they have been tried. The longer someone is in the prison the harder it is for them to readapt to normal society.

So if punishment and a sense of retribution is what we're after, maybe the modern prison system is a bad and expensive tool for that. Why don't we just figure out other punishments that don't involve paying over 100 grand per prisoner, yearly, to maintain?

I'm in favour of corporal punishment as an option but most people think that's inhumane or something (like locking people up isn't).

Without physically harming the individual there isn't much we can actually use to punish. Taking away property and freedom is pretty well it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like the justice stuff. Trying to enact framework around the use of solitary is really big. The bigger problem is how prisoners are treated at a provincial level, but this could help encourage them to stop being horrible about the use of solitary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey the Justice letter includes "explorations of alternative sentence and bail reform".

Bail reform is super duper important to the long term health of corrections in Canada, this would be really really good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

That's in Justice:

I like that this is really worded as this being a decision already made. There's no waffling here, it straight up says that they're legalizing it, the only question is the framework under which it happens.

There's a ton of stuff in the VA letter.

a: the PBO is to also cost election platforms

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also the Minister of State stuff...

They might be paid as much as the other ministers but sure enough at least 4 of the women are reporting to men. I haven't looked through every letter in detail though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Aren't they all reporting to a man?

Good point.

Anyway 7 of the Ministers are reporting to other ministers. All are women.

Looks like there are 4 who have others reporting to them, and one of them (Joly) is a woman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

Ikantski will go a week without posting about how terrible the OLP is when the OLP goes a week without being terrible.

ie never.

My question is will he keep posting about it when it's the OPC doing it. Ontario politics has been bad with cronyism and short term fixes for a very very long time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Your posting is fine, but the bit about Muslim stuff was pointless. No poo poo it was Islamic radicals. Not first time and not last time, and still not really relevant to Canadian political questions. This stuff is pretty sad and bad though. :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Montreal doesn't have poo poo on Ottawa sorry. It's the only good local food we have.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everything including pickles and turnips. Garlic sauce with chicken sesame with beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alctel posted:

Ottawa also has some p decent poutine and montreal style bagels though

I still wish I hadn't lived there for 5 years but hey

Eh, Ottawa poutine is ok but you can get better in random towns in Quebec.

Ottawa is good for families and being a public servant, so there's that to hang our hats on. Woohoo.