Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

was anybody saying john baird is not bad or just that making jokes about him being gay is sort of a weird direction for criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

#Elbowgate is the most disappointing sequel to The Shawinigan Handshake I could possibly imagine.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not surprised, but I am really disappointed. But hey, good on JT, he brought be back into canadian politics with this one.

Who are the best dippers with a chance rn?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

with a chance of becoming NDP leader at least

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is Jagmeet actually running? I thought his long term goals were for the provincial NDP.

Also Niki is cool come at me.

E: Also now that Electoral Reform has been nixed, can we force Nathan Cullen into the race?

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cullen chose not to run and instead focus his efforts on making electoral reform pass which

you know

(The pro-business thing doesn't look great but it's a little vague to get up in arms about imo, he's also got the charisma and passion to be a good leader, but I guess it's irrelevant because he was pretty clear about not running)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I agree about all that NDP stuff including the disdain for labeling oneself "pro-business" but it's not enough for me to write somebody off on that alone without specific policy stuff. I think I remember Jack Layton described himself as pro small business, or something like that.

E: I wish less people would identify as middle class

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Helsing posted:

Jack Layton is largely responsible for the NDP being poo poo and people need to get over this cult of personality that has developed around him. Layton won his original leadership contest by associating himself with the New Politics Initiative which was calling for some fundamental reforms of the party's structure and mission. Once in office he pretty quickly ditched all that and steered the NDP into the third way direction it's followed ever since.

I don't necessarily disagree. He also gained increased support for the NDP in every federal election. I get the trouble of thinking with that lens, but the Layton NDP was still worth voting for. I think you're also downplaying the last 5 years as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Helsing posted:

Believe me I did more than just vote for the Layton NDP, I volunteered and donated and did crap at the riding association / convention level. Hell, a younger and more naive version of myself even helped Layton's wife doing some really gross behind-the-scenes stuff to gently caress the more progressive policy initiatives being fought for by the party. In fact I would say participating behind the scenes did more than anything to convince me that all these compromises the party was making weren't in service to any larger goal or agenda beyond getting the people involved into office. A younger and more naive version of myself was totally willing to make compromises in exchange for winning the power to actually improve things. What I was forced to realize, in particular after watching the last Layton era convention in Vancouver, was that the people who have completely destroyed internal democracy in the party aren't doing it out of fidelity to some higher purpose. If they do get into power they'll just be another government and 90% of the population or more proably wouldn't notice any difference in their lives whatsoever.

Can't really argue with that.

FWIW I'm not saying that I prefer that type of party, just that I'd vote for it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Make that into a postcard

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

hey guys im a piece of trash millenial & voting for niki ashton

im the future of your party/country sorry

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love the idea that you can't do things might give ammunition to your opponents as if 1) that ever matters 2) we need more political fakery 3) people can't manufacture attacks 4) we didn't just witness an election where the winners provided mountains of ammunition against themselves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really glad the left wing party is enjoying such great rhetoric as we "we probably shouldn't even nominate a woman because most people wouldn't vote for one" and "The problem is that most leftists stand around shutting each other down, unlike me, the guy who is using this tweet as a reason I can't vote for Ashton"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

"I'm really sick of all these centrist politicians getting elected by paying lip service to left wing ideas without really believing in them, it would be great if we had a genuinely left wing person, not the one we actually already have running though, she's not electable and should tone down herself down so that people like her more."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

PT6A posted:

That was way more ridiculous than this.

Rachel Notley for NDP leader, imho. She's the only NDPer I've ever not disliked.

They're both silly, but this is a far smaller issue imo.

E: thought you were saying this is more ridiculous, my bad

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 16, 2017

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

On the other hand, speaking as if academics and people who've bought into critical theory are the only ones ever listening is counterproductive.

I mean fair enough, being measured is one thing, but I think it's also enormously clear that people want their leaders to be passionate about something and there's a growing weariness with the typical vagueness politicians feel the need to put on.

I think comparing everything to the american election is unnecessary but what I've drawn from it is that the camps which have an energetic and rallying message were doing a lot better than the ones where the prominent themes were like "this is the way it's done" or "we have to do this even if we don't like it"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not too familiar with Notley but don't conservatives dislike her a lot because they feel she runs Alberta poorly?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

No, being passionate is absolutely fine and in fact necessary, but I think Bernie Sanders style populism wins more votes. Like I said, critical race theory should be the basis for social policy but it needs to be interpreted in an easy to understand, populist way for the masses, like it or not. Otherwise to the average person it sounds like petty gobbledygook.

I agree with that, but I don't think the conclusion of it really interferes with what I was saying before.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Nine of Eight posted:

I RSVP'D for the NDP debate in Montreal on Sunday after next. On the off chance they let me near a microphone, any questions you would like to see asked?

Marry/gently caress/Kill Leitch, O'Leary, Harper

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The BLM twitter responded to Niki Ashton

https://twitter.com/BLM_Van/status/842216499439792130

It's ok, btter than the initial one but still seems to miss the point a bit

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think in the context of the tweet, BLM intentionally antagonizes white people and politicians for various reasons. Their thread afterwards indicated that this was just part of a larger criticism of Ashton (which it doesn't appear to be and also doesn't really follow) and basically accuses her of talking the talk without walking the walk. Their goal in this case is to keep white politicians who they support honest and on level, but they're not doing a great job of it in this case.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, she campaigned for Bernie, it's not out of the question he'd return the favour.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No, (at least not more than any other volunteer, I assume people noticed that she existed and was there) it was obviously more for her/her Canadian supporters. But she's a true believer was probably trying her best. Bernie visiting her would be like 2 orders of magnitude more significant, but it's not like it would be an incredibly difficult gesture.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Instead of making drones illegal they should just make it legal to take hit somebody elses drone with a tennis ball and let everything sort itself out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've never really been a fan of the "guy who is homophobic is the real gay guy" sort of logic because it seems really unnecessary and entirely ancillary to the actual point, that he's homophobic.

Like I know that's a thing that happens, but it doesn't happen all the time and it always comes off weirdly to me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who were people in here generally rooting for in the leadership election?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's going to be sad when all the liberals wake up on June 8th and remember that Liberals getting 20% of the votes doesn't mean they get 20% of the seats.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That just seems like a thing Doug Ford would say openly, at a debate or something.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've heard people say positive things about Wynne herself, but generally not her government as a whole.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

I'm a progressive who likes a lot of what Wynne has done, almost everything except for the various privatizations.

e: Her anti-union campaigning during this election has been awful though. I sat through a 20 minute presser on CP24 this morning about LONG NDP STRIKES! at the gym.

I mean I can point to specific things I like, but her government as a whole has way too much in the way of conservative economic policy for me to reflect positively on.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Personally she seems fine to me, I've never had a problem with her personally. I don't like the administration and I think I never really will having been personally affected by the privatization of some industries. Her sex ed policy was good and sorely overdue and the minwage increases were decent too, but I can't overlook the economic stuff.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that the liberal line about minority governments is landing a little bit, because while canvassing today multiple told me they were voting liberal specifically to guarantee a minority government, including one guy who said he was going to vote for the NDP but now is "going to vote liberal to make a minority government like the tv said"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

These people are scum.

I did already say they're voting Liberal

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

zapplez posted:

I can't imagine how bad it would be for the green party or the communist party or the white power party or the marijuana party or the christian heritage or the rhino party to have any real say in politics.

Well, the marijuana party probably wouldnt hurt us. But the rest of them are loving garbage.

"Struggling to wrap my head around the immeasurable damage it would do to this country if the loving Rhino Party won one seat. Anyway weed is good" - this guy

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My hot take about PR is that if extreme parties get traction as a result its fine because democracy is intended to represent the views of the people even if those views are dumb and trying to design a system that avoids the election of people you find abhorrent is a trap.

I recognize there are problems with this in a practical sense.

E: I guess I'd think checks and balances you put in stuff would be better placed in rules about how parties campaign instead of what voting system you use, but this is getting beyond me.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey why’s Eric Grenier bad again? I don’t know anything about him other than he’s a CBC analyst.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

He doesn't actually know anything about statistics, his claim to fame is registering a website imitating Nate Silver's 538 and people mistaking him for an expert as a result. He's hilariously wrong all the time, partly because he doesn't really know what he's talking about and partly because the kind of polling Nate Silver relies on to make accurate predictions in the US doesn't exist in Canada.

Thanks!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Cool that Bob Rae was enough to disqualify the NDP from power for a lifetime but Mike Harris wasn't for the PCs.

Every day I want to scream this at people while door knocking

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hmm, my prediction is

PC 63
NDP 59
Liberal 1
Green 1

Because I think god is cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Typo posted:

it's too bad FORD will probably not run for prime minister until at least 2023 so we'll never have the magical TRUMP-FORD summit

Nah presidents can serve for 8 years