Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

flakeloaf posted:

Not everyone in [disadvantaged group] has championing their group's cause on their minds. It's a strange characteristic in a politician but it's not beyond all comprehension. Sometimes it's nice to be known as "guy who achieved a thing" and not "qualifier descriptive guy who achieved a thing", and being a mascot isn't for everyone.

Acting against your group's interests still makes you a giant hypocrite and kind of a shithead whether you're waving their banner or not.

That's my opinion thanks for listening.

e: Also, being part of a marginalized group doesn't make you forever immune to having rear end in a top hat characteristics like bigotry.

Yeah or maybe he's a giant opportunist shithead like every other politician and realized coming out is horrible for him politically and its way more important for him to have political power than further the gay rights movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Like seriously I bet he and the cpc has a filing cabinet of commissioned polls about what would happen if he came out

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Gonna take a wild shot in the dark and say Trudeau appointing a 30 year old rookie MP with no political experience as minister of democratic institutions means electoral reform is not going to be taken seriously

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why are hundreds of thousands of people leaving Toronto :geno:

source

it says in the footnote the estimate is whacky and shouldn't be trusted

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

how much does pt6a weigh. place ur bets. im betting in the 200+ lbs range.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This is a really terrible post.

Anyway having an obese health minister is fine, and perhaps even better, if said minister is publicly addressing their obesity. Ministers are figureheads, and obesity is one of the biggest health problems the current generation faces. There have been overweight mayors who've done great jobs spearheading weight control initiatives in their cities (while addressing their own health problems) and I see no reason why a health minister couldn't do that same thing.

That said, it's hard to lose that much weight, and the minister would have to want that badly enough to risk a huge amount of embarrassment if they fail so publicly. There's probably a big political gain if she were to be successful though.

I think there's an issue if she isn't publicly addressing it, but maybe she is, I don't follow Alberta politics very carefully.

lol who made you king arbiter of good posts. your posts are poo poo bro.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

literally 4 pages of people accusing a politician of being a hypocrite because it involves a women's weight

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

this thread is hot garbage

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

jm20 posted:

In other news, Ghomeshi lawyers accused of 'whacking' the accusers in court, and there was a very lengthy debate on cbc radio one with regard to the aggressive cross examination of the trial so far.

Rosie DiManno seems to think it's Good for sexual assault victims to have their credibility attacked. Personally, I don't think someone sending a bikini photo to someone else is evidence they weren't punched in the head. One thing's for sure, Ghomeshi's lawyer is going to make a truckload of money.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think saying that they were paying down the debt instead of contribution to a sovereign wealth fund is a useful way to frame Alberta government policy for the 1980s-2000s. The crucial choice the Alberta government made was to treat oil royalties as general revenue and to fund the government from it. Other jurisdictions cordon off part or all of their oil royalties and automatically invest those into a fund, and then fund government operations normally.

Look at this table comparing the taxes levied in different provinces from the 1997 Alberta budget (1997 dollars, cumulative inflation since then is about 40% so the 2000$ gap is ~2800$ in 2016 dollars):

But at the same time, the Alberta government had more per capita program spending (so excluding debt-servicing costs) than the Canadian average (TW: CTF): ~500$ more than Ontario, 200$ more than Québec, 1300$ more than BC. (Those are 2011 dollars)

That's where they put the oil wealth: keeping taxes low. Not repaying the debt.

Yeah let's be honest here, they get what they deserve. Hope you enjoyed the extra couple g's while it lasted, idiots.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

who are these loser cpc supporters that keep buying hate titles lmao

congrats on funding lowtaxe's drug problem idiots

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Everything is political. Especially fights at Costco. Get the hell of your high horse.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Hal_2005 posted:

What the loving poo poo is this nonsense. Please cite the difference in cleanup procedures for PSC and dilbit. Do you realize both share the same line capacity on the Clipper and Keystone Leg? Seriously. Who the gently caress feeds you this misinformation and how do you ever become remotely empowered to say such dumb poo poo as a fact to even a comedy internet website like SA.

The entire exporting to Asia argument is no more then 2 native bands rent seeking, just like Mackenzie Valley. It even says as such in the ruling rejection by the courts. Furthermore, you do not ship "raw" bitumen anywhere, for various problems which are far too complex for this thread, but mainly due to dry bulk logistical concerns.
Shut the gently caress up

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

a fleshy snood posted:

I know a guy, let me ask him and project his opinion onto all native people and get back to you

lol

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

let have teachers dress up in blackface to teach our children about black culture. that would be real cool

do people understand that native people dont all sit around in teepees wearing feathers? i feel like puking

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Look at y'all saying "native" people like it's the 90s, if you're gonna get outraged over primary school teachers dressing up for small children you might wanna get your terminology down.

By 2025 it's gonna be considered gravely offensive to reference Indigenous people in any way shape or form and it will also be offensive not to talk about them. The few Canadians who haven't fled to Cascadia will have duct-taped their mouths shut or else be called racist on the CBC's front page.

shut the gently caress up

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

im glad the spokesman for suncor has decided to join the thread

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

nothing has ever been more irrelevant than the national

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Peter mansbridge makes over a million dollars a year

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

there's a line on your tax return that allows you to voluntarily remit your refund to the government. get cracking

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

A big part of why Canada's economy is poo poo is because we have some of the most lazy, risk averse, rent seeking capitalists in the western world.

its true

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

TRUDEAU IS GETTIN UPSET

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Worth nothing that both companies I've gotten severance from have also paid for 6 months of career counselling through Morneau Shepell as part of the package.

Bill Moreau just introduced a bill to convert federally regulated pensions from defined benefit to a target contribution plan, something concocted during the conservative government. Bill morneaus company, of which he still owns 32 million in stock, is the largest administrator of these types of plans in the country and stands to benefit enormously from this.

It really takes a lot of balls for a guy who got handed a multimillion dollar company on a silver platter from daddy to publicly tell people they should 'get used' to changing careers constantly and not having a stable job and oh also you're going to work to 100 because your pension is going to suck poo poo and I'm personally going to benefit even more from that.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Who cares

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Lmao at trying to label class struggle "bourgeois identity politics

Get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

James Baud posted:

Paul Boothe (who?) at Maclean's offers up this one ... taxpayers aged 20+, Canada, 2008. You can figure out the general impact of more recent changes.

Most government revenue is recieved from middle class income taxes. You're stupid to try and say their income taxes mean nothing. gently caress off.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Glad we have your "aunt from China" to speak for all Chinese immigrants

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Yeah unless your entire job revolves around writing and has a long history of professionals writing books on the side.

Are we going to start firing professors for writing books next???

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

If only I was born the son of a prime minister maybe I too could be part of the middle class

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Prime minister Jesus ii

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Shouldn't an anarchist be 100% behind criminal defense lawyers since they are opposing the state. At least try and be logically consistent with your dumb ideology

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Lawyers work within the system to oppose the government. I think being against them is absolutely consistent with their dumb ideology.

You can't live in a capitalist society and not work within the system. This is like saying you can't be a communist and own an iphone

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

And not just old people, old people that own houses. They're giving it to the richest

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

She's right

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Meanwhile 40 people in Syria are killed in a horrific deliberate chemical attack include babies with hundreds of others permanently deformed but I guess they don't get a clever hashtag

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Why don't you gently caress off? People are capable of feeling grief for both and maybe this one hits a bit closer to home.

That's all anyone is saying, and yet you're very upset about it for some reason.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Finally a voice brave enough to stand up to the oppressive societal spectre of teens playing a sport they enjoy, fuckin' lmao.

Would you say that... White men matter?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Look squarely at the post that started this all.

You telling people to shut the gently caress up?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

JUST loving DIE ALREADY

quote:

The majority of working baby boomers would stay on the job longer if employers allowed them to shift into semi-retirement — but most workplaces don't provide that option, a new survey suggests.

With unemployment in Canada at record lows and a labour shortage poised to hit critical levels when boomers hang up their hats, semi-retirement could be one way to help manage that crisis.

Since working longer puts more money in people's wallets when they do retire, that increased spending power would benefit the economy as well.

Conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of staffing agency Express Employment Professionals, the poll found that 76 per cent of Canadian baby boomers respondents said they'd opt for a flexible work schedule if allowed, while 60 per cent would choose reduced hours with reduced benefits.

The online survey of 500 Canadian workers aged 54 to 72 suggests a disconnect between the willingness of the enormous baby boomer cohort to stick around during the labour shortage, and a lack of options for those who'd like a gradual exit from the workplace.

With 4 generations in the workplace, employers expected to juggle vastly different expectations

The survey also found that 56 per cent of respondents said they'd like to transition to a consulting-style role, if given the opportunity.

Yet only 30 per cent of the boomers surveyed said their employer offered any sort of semi-retirement option. Additionally, only 36 per cent said their employers had ever brought a former employee out of retirement.

Teresa Pitman says she'd welcome part-time work when she approaches retirement. She's pictured here with two of her 10 grandchildren: Dexter, left, and Walter, right. (Alison Lee photo)

Teresa Pitman, who works full time as a communications co-ordinator for Family and Children Services of the Waterloo Region, says she'd welcome a semi-retirement arrangement when she's ready to scale back. 

"I would like to be able to work here part time, and I think that I will continue to have something to contribute," she said. "I really like the people here that I work for and that I work with. It would be really good to be able to keep that relationship going … but without it being full time."

Rethinking all-or-nothing retirement

If Pitman wasn't working full-time, perhaps her hours would be flexible enough to avoid poor road conditions, she says, like the blizzard she drove through on her way to work Friday. 

Her top priority: Spending time with her 10 grandchildren.

"I'd love to have the flexibility to be more available to them," she said.

Employment experts say we may want to rethink our all-or-nothing definitions of retirement.

It's never been a better time to find a new job — but do employers realize it?

Jessica Culo owns several Express Employment franchises in the Edmonton area and is the Canadian spokesperson for the company, which also has locations in the U.S. and South Africa. 

Even though Alberta is still recovering from the provincial recession of 2016 and 2017, she says, even employers there can't ignore the potential problems posed by a significant increase in retirements in as little as two years from now.

"We all know what it's like to be in an applicant-short market: It's expensive, it's not fun, it inhibits growth," Culo said. "The leaders of organizations have got to have that foresight." 

Jessica Culo, of Express Employment Professionals, says baby boomers are willing to mentor younger staffers, but in most cases the structures and practices are just not in place to facilitate that. (Express Employment Professionals)

Putting in place semi-retirement arrangements that could help with the labour shortage will require "being more creative on the side of the employers," she said.

That could mean allowing older staff members to work flexible hours, a shortened workweek, shorter shifts or working remotely to cut commuting time. It could also include transitioning people into consultancy roles to work on a project basis.

Making room for mentoring

Culo says all of those tools could help address another critical aspect of boomer retirement that the survey highlighted: ensuring critical knowledge doesn't walk out the door when they do.

Only 40 cent of respondents say they've passed at least half of the knowledge required for their positions on to younger staff members, and 51 per cent don't believe their employers have adequate succession plans.

Culo says boomers are willing to mentor — 82 per cent of poll respondents said as much, in fact — but in most cases they're not doing it. "Probably because there aren't really systems or practices or processes that allow for that."

Rosemary Venne, an associate professor of business at the University of Saskatchewan, says 'flexibility is not something that employers are good at.' (University of Saskatchewan)

Part-time workers and consultants could slide nicely into mentoring and training positions, she says, but it may take a mind shift on behalf of management.

"It may mean adding to your overhead by payrolling someone to take on that purely mentorship role."

In many cases, it won't even have occurred to employers to extend people's time at work through semi-retirement, says Rosemary Venne, an associate professor at the University of Saskatchewan's Edwards School of Business who specializes in human resources and demographics.

"Flexibility is not something that employers are good at," she said.

Partial retirement is such an ideal thing because more and more of our self-concept is tied up in work. To give that up when you retire is difficult for some people.- Rosemary  Venne , University of Saskatchewan

A 2011 paper she penned with celebrated demographer David Foot, the author of Boom, Bust and Echo, explained that too little attention has been paid to the impact of increasing life expectancy on retirement policies.

The paper — entitled "The long goodbye" — made the case for partial retirement schemes that remove barriers to going part-time, such as pension disincentives.

That makes sense when you consider that in 1965, when the retirement age was set at 65, the average life expectancy was 71.9 years. Today average life expectancy in Canada is around 80 for men and 84 for women.

Most Canadian employees are ready to quit their jobs, survey finds

Telecommuting on the rise to meet challenges of real estate market, labour shortage

Keeping a hand in work can be good for emotional health and life satisfaction as well.

"Partial retirement is such an ideal thing, because more and more of our self-concept is tied up in work," Venne said. "We've increased our educational attainment. To give that up when you retire is difficult for some people."

In some ways, Teresa Pitman is the ideal retiree. She has spent long portions of her career as a freelancer, and as the author of 18 books about baby care, she can turn to her writing career to keep her busy, engaged and sharp.

"I have writing that I'm quite confident that will always continue. But I do know people a bit older than me who are sometimes a little bit at sea. Their life had been organized around work. I just see that they're not quite sure what to do with themselves."
CBC News

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

"be the human backdrop as the pm tries to polish a turd" seems like a weird ask

Monsef.jpg