Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My apartment building in the middle of downtown Toronto has door to door delivery.

It weirded me out when I first moved in because I'd literally never seen that before in an apartment. It's always been a mailroom/wall o' mail boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

IIRC the "Average" doctor pay in Canada of ~300K doesn't represent a big chunk of doctors. It's all over the map and highly regional. That 300k is getting dragged up by cardiac surgeons making half a million and dragged down by GPs working in rural La Place Du Buttfuck, Quebec (I think I read highest average is Alberta and the lowest is PEI, and we're talking like a difference of a $100K. It's big). So yeah, I could see a doctor servicing a rural area away from major cities making like 100K if there ain't much to bill.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

BallsFalls posted:

Next election I will vote for whatever party includes shooting ezra levant into the sun as a campaign promise

Can we include Margaret Wente? I don't think I can take another column about "Oh those youths today just don't know how good they have it".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm a little surprised Garneau got Transport. Had him pegged for either defense or one of the science ones.

Maybe we're getting legal weed AND free public space transit :science:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm also glad we finally have a health minister who is an actual doctor.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vyelkin posted:

The Toronto Airport shenanigans are a perfect example of how a lot of fights in our country come down to corporate interests versus public interests. Namely, the people who live there don't want this thing to happen, but corporations do want it to happen so they can make slightly more money. Theoretically, in a democracy like ours, the people who actually live there should have a say in whether or not something disruptive to their lives happens. Of course, sometimes this leads to NIMBYism and people resisting wind turbines in rural areas, but in a case like this one I'm pretty glad that the airport won't be expanded considering it's not like Toronto lacks air connections to anywhere at the moment, and I hate the fact that so much of our society revolves around what rich businesspeople want.

I used to live around there and wanted the airport expanded and am not a rich businessman. Having an airport you can easily take transit to or loving walk to, had great service, and let's you fly places for super cheap is awesome as poo poo. Getting to Montreal with less than hour total travel time for like, less than $200 on a good sale? That's p. awesome. As far as I'm concerned if it would let me fly even more places for even cheaper I like it. Because travelling is cool and fun and I'm not made of money. How awesome would it be to get similar discounts and be able to go even further?

Of course I was renting so I didn't give a gently caress about "Mein condo value :qq:" dropping because of noise or whatever.

But no you're right only the "corporations" wanted it :rolleyes:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 13, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

the airport not expanding doesnt change any of what you just said

Well I mean except the part about not being able to fly to even further places without it.

Also don't even get me started on the dumbassness of the UP express. I was in loving Cleveland a couple years ago, and you could take their regular light rail system from the airport to downtown core, which I think is roughly the same distance as Pearson is from Toronto, for $2.25. And they're broke as all gently caress.

At $28 per person it's often cheaper to rent a fancy town car to get you there if there's two or more than you. That is hella dumb.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, you know, downtown Torontians hate it.

We hate literally everything that isn't Mandarin.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RBC posted:

it's 19 dollars with presto but w/e. Not going to argue in earnest with Mr. Luxury Yacht about the convenience of flying

Presto is dumb and bad though. Like, of all my friends who live in the city maybe like, one of them has it. I sure as hell don't. Sure if you live in the burbs and take GO but it's just not practical yet. Because it's at like, half the subway stations, like two streetcar lines (I know they were promising to upgrade all the old streetcars but have they actually got off their asses and super-glued the readers to them yet?) and no or barely any buses.

Also it doesn't track balances in real time and takes 24 hours to add funds to your account online. Of course you can buy pre-loaded ones ($8 worth plus $6 issuing fee lol). But only at terminals at Queen's Park and Union Station IIRC. Loading in person is faster but I'm pretty sure you can only do that at GO Stations?

So yeah I don't think a tourist can easily rely on just Presto. Maybe after they finish the roll-out like they promised. But it's taking loving forever.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Pretty soon tourists will have to rely on just Presto because the TTC's plan is to have the entire system run solely on Presto by the end of 2016, when they will stop selling tickets and tokens, and by the middle of 2017 they will stop accepting tickets and tokens so it's either use Presto or pay the full cash fare.

Oh I know that's the plan but lol if you think this schedule won't be off by a few years and/or get bungled horribly like literally everything else the TTC does.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 13, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I always find it amusing when internet morons think refugees or other immigrants should just set foot in Canada and instantly and instantly 'integrate' and act like someone who has been here for generations as if that's a thing that's ever happened.

Like what do they think their loving ancestors did? My grandfather was a displaced person from rural Lithuania with a whopping three years of formal education. When he came here he was prejudiced as hell, like Borat levels of racism.
But he started a family and got a steady job and through that met people of other races and religions and over time he became much less so. But it didn't happen overnight. We're talking decades here. And he never entirely lost those beliefs, but they didn't pass on to my mother because she was born here and grew up in a welcoming, more inclusive society. I don't see why I should expect a ton more "effort to integrate" from Syrian refugees than was expected/happened with my own family. It'll happen, it'll just take a few decades like it always does.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1979/08/26/page/2/article/fake-viet-boat-people-map-u-s-spy-network/index.html

ISIS is going to flood Canada with stealth refugee terrorists and also those sneaky Vietnamese Communist infiltrators are going to activate aaaaaaany day now.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Duggler posted:

I told my friend that I saw a poll that said that 60% of Canadians don't want Syrian refugees to land here and then he called me a racist and that he didn't want to talk to me anymore. Was that a racist thing to say? I asked another guy who goes to UotT as well and he agreed I'm racist and said that poll was flawed and they should poll at universities instead of wherever they did.

I don't even have serious objections to the immigration of refugees to Canada I just feel like I can't talk about it without being labelled some sort of xenophobic scumbag.

Eh, polling at universities has a lot of the problems any study where you recruit only university students has: University students are a poor representation of the general population and the idea of only polling them and getting good data is hilarious.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

THC posted:

My favourite was how they claimed to hate Putin 2 months ago and now he's their hero because he's a manly man or whatever (they always secretly idolized him)

It's p. hilarious that they love him for supposedly bombing ISIS when Russia is bombing pretty much every rebel group *but* ISIS.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly, with a guaranteed minimum income I certainly wouldn't sit on my rear end all day and not work. That's boring and I'd go crazy. Plus it's not enough money to let me do the things I want like travel or buy dumb electronics.

But knowing that security is there, that if the worst happens, that I won't starve to death or end up on the street? Stress levels across the country would plummet.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I was under the impression Mincome was for unemployed people also. Like one of the examples in the Manitoba trial thing was some people used it so they could stay home and care for young children, sick relatives, or the elderly.

Like the point was that they found even if the option was there for people not to work and still get the minimum income, 99% of people still worked because it's enough to live on but not enough to thrive.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Like, the great thing about it is it creates an expectation of society. To a lot of people, there's a certain element of humiliation to a lot of the current support systems. Like they're treated like a weird exception who has failed as a person. They're scrutinized, monitored, and all their failures are brought up to some faceless bureaucrat who will, in their mind, judge them for it. I mean hell, I know people to whom any acceptance of charity is unacceptable. It makes them feel weak. But go to the hospital for free with universal health care? They're fine with that because it's normal in Canada. Getting sick could happen to anyone at any time, and that's why we have universal health care. Nobody would look down on them for it any more than the fire department showing up to their house because of a accidental fire. It's expected.

In my view, Mincome helps turn poverty into a similar thing. There's no tests or scrutiny, just for whatever reason you're not making the minimum needed to live you get enough to live. It makes society view poverty as a normal, unfortunate thing that could happen to anyone. Something people will expect society to fix without fanfare.

e: I concur with whoever said gently caress John Calvin forever.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 3, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

:bahgawd: "These people look fed and aren't clad in rags clearly they are fake refugees and weren't in imminent danger" :bahgawd:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cultural Imperial posted:

hahahah there's no loving way that poo poo came in under budget

I think that's the point. The budget was originally 1.4 billion, it ballooned over it and suddenly "OH WAIT IT'S NOW 2.4 BILLION YOU ALL STILL GET YOUR BONUSES".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

Presumably for a similar reason that cops in many jurisdictions aren't arresting people for simple possession any more.

Yeah it's probably something like this. It's pouring a ton of resources enforcing something which, for various reasons, would be massively unpopular with a huge chunk of citizens.

Also, like, how? You can't identify an Uber X driver by looking at them. The only way I've seen in the past is for law enforcement to make fake accounts, call up rides, and fine them when they show up.
So you allocate a pile of police resources to have officers or bylaw officers continuously make new fake accounts and fine drivers or impound vehicles. And that's assuming Uber X drivers don't catch on and start finding ways to guess which potential fares are cops and you have to come up with a whole new strategy.

Like yeah I agree Uber as a company is poo poo but it's not something that you'd be able to enforce easily or cheaply.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 11, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Government taxi monopoly with strict conduct rules and good working conditions and fully modern implementation.

This. There's zero reason the city couldn't develop it's own Uber-like app and mandate it's acceptance.

Like, as I've said in other threads, while Uber is a poo poo company and their business model sucks it's brought to light the fact that there is a huge number of problems with the current taxi system and apparently zero motivation to change them.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 11, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

Some of the cab companies here do have apps already. The big difference is that they don't work as consistently (I often get "no results found" when I search for my home address, but oddly not all the time) and they aren't automatically linked to a credit card so I still have to worry about paying the driver directly. For all that Uber does wrong, they do have one hell of an app.

It's never going to catch on if there's half a dozen apps though. I don't give a flying gently caress if it's a Co-op or Beck or Diamond taxi that picks me up, just that one does. Plus it doesn't help if I need to just hail one on the street.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

There's that, too. I'm just pointing out that a one-city app is not likely to be as reliable and easy to use as an app developed by a company that depends on that app worldwide. The development budget just won't be there.

EDIT: The people who designed the Checker app for Calgary were also either too incompetent or lazy to use SSL, so I suppose it's a good thing that they don't handle credit cards. This is what happens when you outsource poo poo and have no idea what you're doing, and I see no reason to expect that the city's app would be any better. The City of Calgary's parking app is currently broken and hosed most of the time, too.

It doesn't have to be as good as Uber's app, just competent. While the App is nice I don't think most of their customers are using the service because they've got good UX designers.

It would require a motivated team though, since yeah most government software projects are a clusterfuck. Horrible design, bugs everywhere, and doing poo poo like contravening their own accessibility rules :thumbsup:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 11, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

So I hear now that the government wasn't organized and we're procuring hotels for refugees from now till the end of February, 80 million dollars, and each refugee is getting $61 for food each day, wish I could spend $61 a day on food.

I dunno, this seems reasonable to me. Back when I worked for a consulting company this $60 was the standard-ish per diem we got for food and stuff when travelling.

You're living in a hotel. You can't cook your own food so it's takeout and restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner. It's not like you can buy a pile of rice and beans and chicken thighs and cook on the cheap in a hotel room. I guess we could force them to all stay in Marriotts and eat the Mysterious Breakfast "Oatmeal" Sludge that's complementary but I wouldn't wish that on anybody

Do we mandate all refugees must eat the McDonalds dollar menu exclusively? Of course not. So you've got to get three good meals (and maybe a snack in the middle) each day at restaurants or takeout joints possibly in not the cheapest or most accessible areas. Yeah, I could see that running $40-50. Tack on $10 as a safety buffer and I can see why they went with $60.

It's not like it's not immediately going back into the local economy.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

$60/day for food is loving luxury though. For many Canadians that is one third the weekly food budget for a family of 4.

Most Canadians aren't forced to eat only restaurant food because they have nothing to cook with where they live, nor do their food budgets reflect that.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The only ones I've seen with more than that are like, long term stay ones like Marriott Residences. You get a slightly bigger fridge, a microwave, and a hot plate-like thing. But they're pretty few and far between.

Long story short it's dumb as poo poo to expect a bunch of refugees living in hotels to cook all their meals for themselves there and the food budget they get has to reflect that.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So it's not even a flat per-diem but a max reimbursement only on food divided per meal?

Yeah, they aren't spending the full $60 per day like ever...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Let's not forget it's been less than six weeks since the new government took power and this whole plan could actually kick off.

Like, if you want people in at the speed the government promised, things are going to cost money. You're going to have to put people up in hotels for a bit because the housing and shelter isn't going to exist to house thousands of people. People in hotels are going to need food which they can't make themselves, so you have to give them the money to buy it in restaurants. You need tons of clothes *today*. You can't wait around for a competitive bid contract on winter jackets and hats to play through, the time isn't there. So it's going to cost more because whoever CAN source you thousands and thousands of sets of winter gear on the edge of winter when it's going to be most popular is charging you through the balls.

If they slowed down the intake because the infrastructure wasn't there people would just be crying "Libs are libbing again!!!!". Plus, I for one would rather spend the money since it's for a noble cause.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

The problem is that they said "we are sole-sourcing this contract for security reasons", which is transparently ridiculous.

Yeah, but anything for "security reasons" plays to reassure the fears of the paranoids afraid of refugees, even if it's just them skimming over an article or press release and reading "refugees....security reasons....will be good".

Start saying what I said before and the same people will whip up a frenzy of "This government is unprepared! We should stop all refugees coming into the country until we are properly 100% prepared to <insert unreasonable standard here>" (a.k.a. never). People will start scrutinizing every cost and use it as a justification for dialing back the numbers. Like, look at how much some people got worked up about the food budget thing even though it's a perfectly reasonably *potential maximum* (the budget is *up to* and subdivided into a max for each meal. No one ever spends the loving max. They'll prob have to provide at least some receipts also, etc...) for someone having to eat literally every meal at a restaurant in a major city.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Helsing posted:

It's bizarre to see people pending over backwards to justify the government refusing to disclose who it's paying and how much it is paying them on the grounds of something as nebulous as "security".

This is unacceptable for the very simple reason that it continues the feedback loop between private business and the current governing party. We've got a long history of this in Canada and we know what it creates: a feedback loop of corruption. It amounts on an invisible tax on everything the government does: instead of getting the best deal the government reroutes it's purchases through friendly suppliers and lets them overcharge. Then those politicians get extra money and resources to remain in power.

It's not a matter of this being a large or small purchase. It's about the kind of institutional culture that these attitudes perpetuate. As the old saying goes, sunlight is the best disinfectant.

How would they get the "best deal" in the required time span?

Like, we're talking about a specific extremely time limited case here. Do you think it's feasible to set up an entire bidding process when you need 25,000 winter coats yesterday? No, you go "Who the gently caress is willing to get me all these coats instantly even if it means they have to decrease their store supply". Not every supplier is going to be able to do that and they'll charge you more even if they can,

I mean yeah it would be ideal, but honestly I feel releasing those numbers right now would cause more backlash against the refugees, because it's going to be loving expensive and detractors are going to view it as "special treatment". Security can be construed as "security for the well being oft he refugees so hicks don't get riled up by expensive coats and start throwing poo poo at them".

If the alternative is to put off bringing people over for four more months is that preferable? I'm honestly curious what your ideal, practical procedure is for this kind of thing?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Definitely not, but what's wrong with just calling it that? "The procurement process takes forever, we need this stuff now, we're buying it from Jim cause he says he can do it, we don't think he's gouging us, the AG knows the whole story", instead of "No because of security mumblemumble, they're burning crosses in Prince George as we speak so we have to be careful"

Well, other than what I mentioned before, on another front people will probably dig into Jim's history and find out his kid once played hockey against the kid of the assistant minister's cousin and suddenly the headlines are all "LIBBBERALL CORRUPTION!!1!". Or lets say that someone in the government DID know Jim, because they had dealt with him before they were in government and he did good work getting things fast. The press and a lot of people on the fence with either the government or the refugees will eat them alive. Do you really think most of those people are going to look at the higher cost and either 1. be all "okay cool I understand" and 2. Not blame the refugees?

tbh it's asking them to commit a giant political shitstorm for doing something that's entirely necessary, getting a metric crapload of supplies super fast.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Well if you watched the GOP debate last night, I think I'm ok with herbicide, food, craft beer, OLP chat after "Let's murder their families" chat from the US GOP candidates.

I dunno, Carson's plan to bring peace to the Middle East by specifically carpet bombing thousands of innocent children sure seemed to get more applause from the crowd that Trump's plan to murder the families of suspected terrorists.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Can't do that. It wouldn't be possible to get to my office via transit.

Even some you can aren't really practical because you'd have to take five transfers or it'd take hours and hours longer.

I've been lucky with being able to live within walking or transit distance to all my jobs. I know that def wasn't an option for my father when I was growing up though. He had some pretty gnarly driving commutes, but for fun I punched in what it would be like had he taken transit instead.

Like $600/month in transit fares and 3 - 4.5 hour commutes each way :shepface: . This is versus 25 min to an hour of driving.

And this would be AFTER Durham made their transit system slightly less batshit insane and you could get to a Go Station in a non-stupid period of time. People who bitch about the TTC have no idea what bad is. When I was a kid sometimes you'd be stuck at the GO Station for two hours because the train would get in just after the bus left and the one at the top of the next hour (a bunch of routes were only once an hour) just decided to not show up.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 21, 2015

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

Most of the people I've met who've moved to the suburbs aren't actually saving money as a result, they just wanted more space. Then they bitch about how they need a car for everything and can't come out drinking with me because they can't afford a taxi (while asking me to make the equally long pilgrimage to come drink at their house).

I think he's talking more about how many people can't afford to move literally every time they change jobs, because these days it happens a hell of a lot more often whether through less job security or how sometimes the only way to advance in a non-silly amount of time is to jump ship to another company. Not that suburbs are cheaper.

Especially if kids are involved and moving involves uprooting them, switching schools, and losing most of their friends. Or you change jobs and your spouse doesn't, etc... There's costs other than money involved.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Which is the one that thought Enver "Bunkers" Hoxha was the man to emulate?

Because yes Vancouver would be vastly improved by 700,000 concrete bunkers in random places.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure if the PCs had drawn a smiley face on a bowling ball and nominated it as their leader they would have won the last election by the virtue of how lovely the provincial Libs were and the fact a bowling ball can't say anything stupid.

Instead they chose Tim Hudak and he threw away the easiest election in decades with a plan of "I'll fire 100,000 of you".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I've always assumed MBAs were just an $120,000 barrier to keep the poors out of management :shrug:

Considering I've never met anyone who's actually said they've learned anything from it, its literally impossible to fail out, and their only reason for doing it is "I need one for a management position these days and I'll earn more money".

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

(alternatively it is a compromise verdict based on no coherent legal theory at all but rather on the preferred outcome for the dueling biases at play in the jury room, but since we'll never know which we'll all come to the conclusion that suits us - mine being that jury trials are The Worst and I wish there was any realistic prospect of them going away forever.)

You could go with what Japan does and have it in front of a panel of judges.

Of course they have an over 99% conviction rate but hey, none of those pesky juries!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Agreed. Although manslaughter was an option in place of finding him guilty of second-degree murder.

To be fair, if I'm reading it right manslaughter and attempted murder have the same penalty (min four years), so the effect is the same :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So wait was Yatim mentally ill, on bad research chems, or both? I'm seeing both brought up here.