Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

vyelkin posted:

You're right it didn't help, they should have seized all of them.

They should have, but also it should have been someone other than the RCMP seizing them all. Maybe load them all in a dump truck and toss it into an active volcano. RCMP holding onto an armory's worth of firearms isn't much better than them being in the hands of paranoid owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

flakeloaf posted:

Use a larger caliber that penetrates better. Duh.

No no that's the bear argument all over. You want a smaller pieces so you can put more shots downrange faster and it's smaller so it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your rear end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It always sucks when you know someone identified in a plane crash.

My African literature prof was on that plane that crashed in Ethiopia.

:smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Jag incapable of using concrete examples in his speeches? Out of all three leaders he has got to be the least decisive sounding speaker. Trudeau might be wishy-washy and spout a whole lot of nothing but when he's working off of a script his speechwriters have tailored for him he can actually sound articulate.

Every drat time Jagmeet talks it's a blur of white noise "were doing a thing to a thing because of a thing for a thing" without ever saying what thing is.

"Quebec has an identity. So we're doing a thing for Quebec, such as"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DariusLikewise posted:

The Canadian Tax Payers Federation is full of poo poo on everything they do

Canadian Tax Payers' Federation of Planets now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to work the closing shift tonight and I swear to God any customer who starts talking about New Zealand and making it about gun ownership is getting thrown out of my store. I get enough old codgers coming in to complain about how biased to the left all of our political book section is before they buy their nth copy of Jordan Peterson's rag. Anyone who wants to start a conversation about how it was the Muslim's own fault is getting the boot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not young men exclusively. We're just more likely to act out impulsively. The wretched behavior of racists and white supremacists is embedded in generations of hatred. The old fuckers k have to deal with at the bookstore are just as much a part of the problem because they regurgitate their homophobic racist isolationist bullshit and expect everyone to listen to them because they're entitled fuckers. They engender this kind of behaviour in younger men who act impulsively and go on shooting sprees. It's young men committing atrocities for the sake of old bastards who have poisoned their minds with false rhetoric about the dangers minorities pose and how true masculinity can only be found wielding a gun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Free Press in Canada is dead as long as cunts like Cheryl and the rest of the right wing rags continue to dominate the newstands.

I really wish that someone could challenge Cheryl for Renfrew Nipissing Pembroke but the only person who had a chance last time was Jeff Lehoux and his campaign got split by Hec loving Cloutier.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what's everyone's plans for the weekend? I just booked myself into a lovely overnight stay at the emergency room because some rear end in a top hat hit me with his car as I was crossing at an intersection.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figure I'm just going to be stiff for the next week, considering I stood up, told the driver he was a loving idiot before he drove off and then walked home to call an uber. My shoulders are aching a bit and my right leg is gonna be bruised, but I'm still in one piece and more annoyed than in pain.

In hindsight I should have made him stay or at least tried to get his plate number, but I was finishing up my shift, I was tired and I just wanted to go home so Im not exactly the sharpest right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I walked home after getting hit, called my mom and then took an uber to the hospital. I'm in Ottawa and the police station on Elgin is right across the canal from my house. Depending on how long I'm here tonight, I'll have to file the report in the morning but my mom wanted me to get checked out, so I'm doing that first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that was five hours waiting to get a five minute explanation for what is already figured out in my own. No breaks, just bruises.

In off to bed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unpaid internships need to die but instead the cancer is spreading.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Update from the Victoria & Vancouver Island Goonmeets thread.

Measly Twerp posted:

This is an emergency, does anyone have personal info on Chairmaster? (Or if anyone knows who "croswell" is) They have posted a suicide note in the canpol and e/n chat threads. Please PM any mod as soon as possible.

Pixelante posted:

Thanks! On it. (Crosswell is fine, I checked.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's morbid, but I keep checking the Vancouver and Victoria newsfeeds on my CTV app. Haven't read anything yet so I hope that's a good sign for CM.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch Faith Goldy turn that little Maga poo poo into the public face of Doug Ford's freeze peach on campus campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was having this talk with a coworker yesterday and we felt that the root causes for this misery is a mix of self inflicted isolation and a societal pressure that weren't never good enough as we are. There's a desire to improve oneself and then there's the implication that doing so is never enough to break the despair. the worst part is that this feeling of impotence mixes badly with isolation to create a terrible feedback loop of negativity where someone can feel trapped in a cage and nothing can be done to break out.
Sometimes I feel like I'm in the cage myself. I've known enough people who have committed suicide that I do not take this lightly. I don't want to lose myself to despair and I don't want anyone else to ever feel that way either. I hope CM got the help he needs and I'm sorry if I ever hurt him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It absolutely crosses economic class lines but its symptoms are much worse when you don't have an outlet due to financial needs. Someone with the means to go out and at least try to connect with people is going to fare better than someone who cannot because they can't afford to do it. Financial anxiety can cripple a person's social life and it compounds with other anxieties.

And it's not just the internet causing isolation. In fact while I think the internet can cause more problems than it fixes, it can help people by giving them at least some measure of contact with others. It's a crutch but it can be a necessary one given the world we live in. I look at my group of friends I had going through university and despite most of us still living in Ottawa we almost never do anything together anymore. Or societal system has us set up to go to work, work ourselves to the point where we're exhausted and then go home where we're too tired or unwilling to make the leap and meet up with other people. We sequester ourselves into these tinier and tinier social units where there is no crossover between work life and social life and we keep retreating further into our shells. Most of the people I knew growing up still live in Renfrew because that's where the people they know still live. My university social circle might have collapsed but when I do talk to them they say they're usually hanging out with high school friends they've known for decades. There's an unwillingness to leave these tiny social spheres and it's exacerbated by financial worries, social anxiety and the constant need to measure up to a forever out of reach social standard.

It's no wonder we turned to the internet, poisonous as it is. It's a lifeline where we can at least have some measure of contact with another person when the world around us feels actively hostile to the idea of striking up a conversation with a stranger. Our isolation is self inflicted and we give off an atmosphere of desiring privacy at all times which makes it next to impossible to make new connections in person outside of planned events for just such a matter.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Forget it. please continue to think there's no connection between financial anxiety and depression despite literally everyone else in here pointing out that there is. Depression is just caused by all this complex stuff we can't like understand man, and it's problems.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Actually gently caress it, I'm not going to forget it. PT6A, please tell me how my finances are not leaving me a wreck. I worked 13 hours minimum wage last week. I haven't been out with my friends since the end of loving November. I had to ask my mom to help me pay rent last month and it looks like I'm on track to need to ask her again this month. I got passed over for training that might give me some more marketable skills because my boss thinks I don't have any drive. I got hit by a loving car last week and I thank my luck that nothing is broken because I don't get paid sick leave.

The reason I can speak to isolation depression and anxiety is because I'm living it right goddamn now, you horse-blindered socially clueless idiot. So why don't you gently caress off outbid the thread for a while and tell some drug addict that they just need to work in it a bit to get better and see how that goes rather than getting all huffy when someone points out how loving rich it is coming from you to say money has no bearing on mental wellbeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PT6A posted:

Yeah I’m a oval office and probably responsible for the collapse of western civilization, gently caress me right?

gently caress. Off. Go away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)