Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

I'm pretty sure he's also being sued by the great state of Missouri for outstanding tax debt of like $100k, which might complicate things somewhat

oh dear god what the gently caress lowta-- ohhhhhh

poor guy. Suddenly being afflicted with a debilitating illness that requires major surgery sucks rear end

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

I'm getting a second hand impression of both the public and private elder care systems in this province via some of my eldery relatives and the only conclusion I can reach is that death panels are very much a real thing in Canada.

Personal Support Workers do what nurses used to do but are paid near minimum wage (I think they're mandated to be paid $18/hour in Ontario); neoliberalism rules.

On the flip side there's such a demand for them that companies that do home care can barely keep enough employed to handle their clients.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Aren't the first of the boomers just about to hit the point where they need the senior services they spent their entire lives voting to undermine and reduce the funding for? Can't wait for all the Sun articles blaming millennials for the lovely care they get.

if you don't think they're gonna just vote for whoever says they'll shovel funding into palliative and elder care while cutting funding to anyone under the age of 35 well, I got some news for you

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

zapplez posted:

Was 18 an hour a recent thing? I remember advertised wages in the paper just a few years ago for $14. PSWs get paid like poo poo and its a travesty.

I'm wrong, it was increased to $16.50 by the dastardly Ontario Liberals and I'm sure the Ford government wouldn't cut that in order to save costs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1105853650432225280

Somebody tell Doug Ford, maybe we can build a ferris wheel at the north pole to attract tourists to our new beachfront resorts.

yeah, looks like we're gonna try to geo-engineer our way out of this.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

All my :10bux: is on the right wing position shifting to "now that we're geo-engineering we no longer need emission reductions!"

That has been the reason why scientists have been so reluctant to talk about it generally, but let's face it:

1) If we don't develop some kind of global strategy for geo-engineering, nations that are literally disappearing underwater will try anything with what remaining resources they have.

2) If we don't take certain kinds of geo-engineering off the table, develop international treaties to limit what can be done, then deranged billionaires are going to go ahead and do them anyway.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I saw an excellent talk by David Keith (the scientist) like a decade ago, probably one of the leading academics in the field. He pointed out that it was an absolutely terrible idea, with all sorts of terrible potential side effects, but realistically it'll probably be our the option we'll take, because it's cheap.

The political angle is particularly severe; the question I remember him posing is "what if China decides it wants to set the thermostat 2 degrees lower than everyone else? They have all the resources they need to do this themselves, and what is anyone going to do about it?

Maybe you've already read it, but Gwynne Dyer's Climate Wars deals with the political aspect. If you don't want to get the book, there's a 4 part series on IDEAS about it here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I would target social media before I would target guns, trucks, knives, bats, or actual bats in order to curb violence. In a free society if someone really wants to harm people, they're going to figure out a way to do it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Within the context of Alberta, have the Albertan NDP hosed up in any major way? I know the pipeline is bad, and people were mad about health and safety on family farms but setting that all aside I'm curious if there are particular issues where the government clearly hosed up something that would justify giving them the boot.

I realize that's not why they're losing in the polls either, I'm just trying to get a good sense of what the government's done since they first took power.