Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Manitoba is a two party province, the NDP and the PC. The liberals have one seat, former leader Jon Gerrard. Uniting the left is not a concern at all in manitoba seeing as the NDP have been in power since 1999.

Right now would be a great time for the liberals to re-emerge seeing as the NDP are losing popularly, people still distrust the PCs, and the federal liberals are so popular. But I still haven't heard much from them and the provincial election is less than a year away.

I doubt the NDP keeps power in manitoba and then who knows what happens with provincial politics.

Bokhari has been making noise about privatizing the MBLL if elected ( :rolleyes: ) which unfortunately has a lot of traction with the morons in this province.
The Liberals and NDP are polling at similar numbers right now and I really hope that the soft Liberal vote goes back to the NDP come election time, even though the PC's are going to win regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't think Palister will win. It will probably be the Liberals winning out of nowhere then slowly dismantling the province.

The Liberals have zero chance of winning; they'll pick up a few left-leaning Winnipeg seats from people angry at the NDP but that's it.
Pallister is going to win a majority and gently caress this province up, can't wait!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Good god Redford is the absolute worst.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

Cmon now, its the Liberals. Nothing is ever beyond the point of changing course for them. They'll release a 5 year plan to do a thing and spend the next 4 years funding studies on how to implement it and then claim at the next election that they're ready to move forward if we re elect them.

It's the circle of libbing.

Also the fact that they're going to sign the TPP makes me feel ashamed of voting LPC now and if I could do it all over again I wouldn't.

I'm pretty sure they were in favour of the TPP in principle at the time, but wanted to examine it closer before full-on supporting it.
I'm not happy they're signing it either but it wasn't like their theoretical support for the TPP was a big secret.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

It's sad, but the Liberals will probably gain 1 or 2 seats(over the 1 seat they have now). If Rana happens to be 1 of the seats gained she will probably remain as leader going into the next 4 years. Comedy option is she loses to Wab loving Kinew and the party torpedos her.

I'm not even sure what a leadership review for the NDP looks like on the provincial level, but I hope Selinger gets the boot after all the desperate poo poo he's pulled in the last 2 weeks. It's shameful.

The good news, well as good as it can be with an incoming PC majority, is that people already hate Pallister so if the NDP get their poo poo together, they'll have a decent chance at winning the next election in 2020.

Selinger is obviously gone after tomorrow; I wouldn't be shocked if he lost his seat too, but I have no idea who would replace him as leader. Andrew Swan? Kevin Chief? Theresa Oswald would be ok, but the optics of her not running for re-election would be kind of bad if she threw her name in right away.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

apatheticman posted:

Liquor marts is his bet.

Pallister has explicitly said he wouldn't privatize MBLL. Doesn't mean he won't do it, but if he does anything with it, it'll likely be a small incremental change(s) like Wall is doing in Saskatchewan. Can't have people making living wages after all!

The NDP has beaten the PCs privatizing Hydro drum for years, whereas not so much with MPI, so I'll go with MPI. Then 5 years from now, people will be wondering why their insurance costs so much.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Watching CBC calling this a successful night for the MB Liberals is hilarious. Like sure, they may get 2 extra seats and their percentage of the vote increased by 7% but that's at the expense of an extremely unpopular NDP government, and isn't a hell of a lot in the grand scheme of things.
Also, Bokhari didn't even come close to winning her seat, so I'd call tonight a near disaster for the Liberals to be honest.

Assuming Selinger finally fucks off, who becomes interim leader of the NDP?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Comedy option: Pat Martin

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

TheKingofSprings posted:

MTS just got bought by Bell in MB.

I'm guessing this means lovely things for my unlimited data plan?

lovely things for lots of Manitobans. No coincidence that this came out 2 weeks after the provincial election; I'm not naive enough to think it would've made a huge difference, but this would've definitely hurt the Conservatives a bit.

It's time to nationalize telcos.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

What a piece of poo poo. He also said it wasn't a big deal if cell phone rates go up after the MTS sale :lol:
It's obviously still very early, but I'd be surprised if the Conservatives manage to win another term with Pallister leading the party.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

gently caress the Conservatives. Let's keep racing to the bottom!

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

I'll take government alcohol stores actually paying their employees a half decent wage versus privately run stores paying their employees poo poo, along with all the other crap that private sector employers do.

Source: I worked in privately run alcohol stores for nearly 12 years. gently caress them.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

CI addressed one of my posts, I'm no longer a failure :smuggo:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Maybe Trump's win will encourage the Liberals to properly employ some sort of electoral reform to make it harder for the same poo poo to happen up here.

:v:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

EvilJoven posted:

That'd be nice but I'm pretty sure the Liberals, being career politicians with no regard for the welfare of this nation, are quite happy with occasionally forming government and funneling our nations wealth to themselves and their peers and then handing the reigns back to the conservatives to do the same when we've had enough of them.

Proportional representation means they might actually have to serve the public or risk never having their turn at the trough.

Oh I agree, it was mostly tongue in cheek that I said that but I'm still going to e-mail my (Liberal) MP anyway for the hell of it.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Pallister is such a shithead that I'd have hope he'd only be a one term premier, but the provincial NDP is in such disarray that I doubt they'll be able to capitalize on it.
Also :lol: at the Manitoba Liberals ever winning anything.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

I'm sure this has been talked about at length, but politics are too depressing to follow closely at the moment:

On a scale of regular random Conservative to Kellie Leitch, how terrible is Kevin O'Leary?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Called my MP (:lol: like that will do anything)
Felt kind of bad for the staffer that answered the phone, that has to be a lovely job no matter what party you're working with.

Will also leave a voicemail at Trudeau's number too.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Can't wait to hear the scorching hot takes from right wing media (and probably the BC Libs too) about the leftist coup in BC and how this is undemocratic.

On a related note, the federal coalition "crisis" (lol) was almost 9 years ago already :stare:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

James Baud posted:

There was a Fraser Institute thing

Lol

Pallister doing his best to ensure that he's a one term Premier; please get your poo poo together NDP.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Put red light cameras at all intersections IMO

Anything to anger the morons with Wise Up Winnipeg is a-ok with me.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Saw this posted on Facebook today about the proposed tax changes

There's so much stupidity here it's impossible to decide where to start.
Those poor business owners :cry:

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 28, 2017

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

I'm not sure which term is more annoying:

"Tax burden" or "Job creator"

Both are annoying as gently caress

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Wirth1000 posted:

Singh was born in Scarborough and raised his entire life in Canada like how do these peoples brains work???

It's almost like conservatives are really dumb...??

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

I don't know if a new government could do anything about Hydro, but it's absolutely incredible how the Conservatives have squandered the level of popular support they had just 18 months ago.

I won't hold my breath but if Pallister sells off Hydro, it may at least have the benefit of making the Conservatives unelectable for the foreseeable future.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

InfiniteZero posted:

If we count the foreseeable future as being about 16 years, which is how long it took since this all happened last time.

Here's the course outline for university level study of Manitoba Politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

It was only 16 years because Selinger is a complete shithead who should have hosed off rather than win another leadership race.

Maybe Oswald doesn't win in 2016, but the NDP would've been much better positioned to win the next election, since, fair or not, Kinew's baggage is going to hurt them going forward.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

The CPC sure like making the Liberals seem downright palatable.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Nova Scotia has a burgeoning wine industry, though a lot of the reds are hybrid cool-climate grapes that were designed for Canadian and Northern US climates. They do grow some Pinot Noir and common white varietals like Riesling and Chardonnay though. They're probably best known for bubbly made of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir blends. I think there's even a few wineries in Quebec in the same vein.

BC's calling card and focus should be Syrah and Merlot but they'll grow and bottle just about anything there which is also kind of cool. Generally the inexpensive, non VQA stuff is bad or barely mediocre at best, and no one is going to say BC wine is great value, but once you're in the $20-$25 range, there's some pretty good stuff out there.

Living in Manitoba, we get a good selection of both BC and Ontario wines, with a smattering of Nova Scotia, so it kind of owns if you're willing to try different wines.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Holy gently caress, Winnipeg is going to spend a quarter million on hosting street parties for the Jets by the end of next week

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/989586702128709632

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they're only covering about a third of it. I mean, it should be True North footing the entire bill but :lol: at that ever happening.

DariusLikewise posted:

Winnipeg has its first challenger for the mayoral election in October and anti-pedestrian and anti-transit!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/motkaluk-winnipeg-mayor-campaign-1.4591750

Brian Bowman is clearly out of touch with people who live on Wellington Crescent and support the Reform party!

My expectations for him were pretty low, but Bowman has been better than expected. I'm not sure i'll vote for him, but if there isn't a decent candidate from the left, then I probably will.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Can anyone explain why the Green Party seems to do well in Guelph?

They received nearly 20% of the vote back in 2014 and even pulled in 11+% in the 2015 federal election. Election Prediction Project (which is admittedly just a dude who does predictions, I don't think there's any methodology or science behind his picks) is now predicting a Green win in Guelph which seems really weird and random.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 31, 2018

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

James Baud posted:

I've never been to Winnipeg because it's too far to drive from east or west and there's never been a good enough reason to fly there. Which parts of town (neighborhoods / by cardinal direction) are particularly good/bad?

This is so re: discussion of cancelling transit to east side, the rest of us can identify if that's because it's NIMBY ritzy or a crime-filled ghetto. Usually east is bad but some places are reversed.

North end Winnipeg is the "bad" part of town. The east rapid transit leg would go mostly through middle class (lol) neighborhoods.

Generally, the anti-transit people in Winnipeg are the ones who thinks that all money should go to fixing potholes and that urban freeways are somehow a good thing they aren't
It hasn't reached NIMBY status yet as far as i can tell.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Why get a gun when you can get a cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7thSpUy_lo

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Motkaluk is such a loving imbecile

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

This is my new favourite Winnipeg City Councillor candidate

https://marcelboille.com/

- Is a real estate agent
- Doesn't want to open Portage and Main, would rather spend the money paving back lanes
- Doesn't want rapid transit, would fix transit as-is somehow????
- Doesn't want growth fees, says they would/have resulted in thousands of job losses????
- Eliminate school zones, but put up flashing lights to tell people there are kids there still
- Eliminate photo radar vans(which are run by non-cops) and tell more cops to drive around more???
- Better roads! :argh:
- Safer neighbourhood! :argh:
- Property Taxes only for property owners use! :argh:
- Give control of ambulances to the province
- Make water and sewer a separate entity somehow????
- Make Schools and Community Centres 24/7 places open to everyone I guess
- Get rid of home improvement permit regulations, RED TAPE :argh:
- The above will help homelessness and so will cutting all the money the city spends on shelters because we will ask the province to spend more money than us on it
- SYNC TRAFFIC LIGHTS OBVIOUSLY
- Freeze hiring, overtime and property taxes! :argh:
- Eliminate civic business tax :argh:

On the news he said he opposes any new condo or apartment complexes and wants the city to stop breaking up existing "big lot houses" and zone more "big lot houses"

Yeah he's running in my ward - I thought Allard was unopposed up until about a week ago, so I decided to look this guy up and of course he's a complete cretin. Thankfully Allard is actually decent and this clown has zero chance of winning.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Eat poo poo Motkaluk

Bowman is mediocre as gently caress but Motkaluk is downright embarrassing

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Bajaha posted:

Are results up? All I'm finding is 'live' tallies from like 6pm and polls closed at 8pm.

If you're referring to Winnipeg
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/municipal-election-results/?winnipeg

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Wippersnapper posted:

Well at least Motkaluk lost but someone, anyone explain to me a positive to Schreyer. There's gotta be something I'm missing but as far as I can tell he puts up Save Concordia ER signs and that's it.

Next election I guarantee Browaty runs (I figure he didn't this year so he can avoid incumbent power) so hopefully someone rises above him and he gets out of politics forever.

I assumed Schreyer was good but then I heard he endorsed Motkaluk :confused: so I guess I was wrong.
Browaty can definitely gently caress off forever anytime now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Wippersnapper posted:

As far as I can tell he skips meetings and basically has made it his thing to be against Bowman. His election flyer literally bragged about how he was the only counsellor who stands up for people not politics... By voting against everything.

He also is buddies with Browaty, Lukes and Eadie and did things like take out ads against the active transport plans. I emailed him once to talk about city compost plans and never got a response. Shockingly he was against it.

Well drat, his orange election signs certainly fooled me. Also the fact that he ran and beat Thomas Steen (who also sucks) back in 2014.