Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
If they're serious about their priorities being proportional representation and donations, I can see the Liberals conceding on the latter but not the former, whereas the NDP is supposedly planning to do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

From what I've read, Weaver thinks he can pull just as many votes from the Liberals as the NDP, so just hobbling the NDP and giving the Liberals even more power probably isn't ideal, and why would he agree to it anyway when he has all the bargaining leverage? I don't doubt he'll back Christy in a minority for things like budgets, but if he wants to ban corporate/union donations, my understanding is he can just do it with a private members' bill and have the NDP vote with them, or the NDP can do it, whoever gets first crack at a private bill. It's still in the NDP's best interest to vote for it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

T.C. posted:

In what world are people thinking that the provincial NDP aren't helped by proportional representation? They go from the current situation where they've had power three times ever and generally hold no sway at all over the government to always being a potentially large part of a governing coalition.

I guess the idea is that as things stand, you'd have the Greens and Liberals in a coalition and NDP shut out forever, never able to cross 50%. I couldn't say how the party structure would change under PR though--would the conservatives break away from the Liberals and form their own party again? You might actually see an NDP-Liberal coalition then.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Well, there's a military base in Comox, I think the the Liberals are banking on absentee ballots there to put them ahead. I think the Liberal candidate's from the base, too.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

T.C. posted:

It's not like we've never had an election before and absentee votes are some giant mystery that we have to blindly guess about...

Only a small number of absentee votes are mail in. Last election was under 7000 for the province. Maybe we have more, but the votes trickling in this week would have been in the thousands at worst.

Also, the whole 'Comox has a military base' thing doesn't seem to make a difference. Absentee ballots there have swung NDP twice, and Liberal once over the past three elections. So there is no obviously apparant lean towards the Liberals.

Well, I hope not. But they seem to have gone pretty hard after votes there this time, and when you have that many people with PTSD trying to make a difficult choice who knows what's going to happen.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Well the media seems to be saying that the greens siphoned off more of the liberal vote than the NDP vote and I'm willing to bet a lot of them wouldn't even have shown up to the polls if there hadn't been a green candidate.

But listening to the idiot(s) in here you'd think that the greens are the reason that the NDP didn't win rather than just a distant third, not even official yet, party. That it should be blamed for the loss rather than spending even a moment on self reflection about what makes the NDP a wholly unlikeable party for the people of BC.

Are you seriously claiming that this thread doesn't criticize the BCNDP? Do you even read this thread? I know BC chat usually gets derailed by whatever dumb thing the PM or premier of Ontario is doing pretty quickly, or tends to stick to housing, but I assure you nobody (even THC... probably) has forgotten that the BCNDP sucks. This does not mean that the Greens aren't being lead by a thin-skinned jerk who's happy to use environmental issues as a fig leaf for a conservative government.

I have seen at least one Postmedia column speculate about the Greens peeling off Liberal voters pre-election, but nothing I've seen since has indicated that actually happened, although I had to stop reading after a point for my own sanity. If you've seen otherwise I'd like to see it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Are you denying that there's an obscene amount of NDP cheerleading in here? Maybe we are reading different threads. Said cheerleading has nothing to do with Andrew Weaver who, yeah, is a jerk and probably completely personally unlikeable.

But I see nothing in this thread or the media or especially his party's platform to indicate that he, or his party, are actually conservatives in disguise aside from some conspiracy theory from said NDP cheerleaders who are butthurt that the only decent choice for progressive politics in the province hosed up and lost again while the other branches of their party is disintegrating across the country.

The post you quoted itself quoted another guy asking me to show that the greens actually damaged the NDP more than the liberals and you asking me to show that the greens damaged the liberals more than the NDP, so you two can fight it out.

I'm not DEMANDING proof or anything, I'd honestly be interested if there was exit polling that showed that. I think there's some ridings where the Greens might have attracted some disgruntled Liberals (Vancouver ridings especially), but overall and especially in swing ridings, I think the NDP had a lot more to lose from the Greens.

I think it's important to separate Weaver from the Greens here; as you said, the Green platform is left of the NDP in places. On the other hand, if the Greens are so far left, why is their leader voting for Christy's budgets? If it comes to a minority situation next week and he decides to prop up a Liberal minority, how does he justify that to his party and platform? I'd like to think whatever his personal views, he gets that there's not much of a choice here, and he's just trying to maintain some leverage against a desperate Horgan.

There's NDP cheerleading here, but I mean, to the extent the BCNDP is willing to admit it has positions, they align with the thread in general. If there's been less criticism of the BCNDP lately, it's because they were so weirdly quiet the last year or so coming up to the election (I think this may have been intentional, to throw more light on Christy... I'm not sure that was a good idea). Look back to the NDP platform launch for instance, and pretty much everyone here was crapping on stuff like the renters' grant and predicting another four years of Christy.

edit:

ZShakespeare posted:

Funny, Horgan said the same thing.

He didn't say anything about mines, he specifically avoided talking about mines so he could approve a bunch of mining projects if he won without openly contradicting his campaign promises.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 17, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

BC NDP platform pg. 86.

I swear does anybody other than me actually read these things?

I'm not saying it's not in the platform (although I will happily admit I did not make it 86 pages into the platform, congratulations on that), I'm saying he wasn't going out there talking about it. He's already giving up on LNG and forestry's boned either way, there's no way they're not going to allow some mining.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

Fwiw if the greens prop up the liberals then I'll just be drawing a giant "gently caress OFF" on the next ballot because if I can't take a give party's platform at its word I refuse to engage in faith-based voting.

thread tradition now requires you post pics

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Weaver won't say what he's planning because why give up the leverage? I personally think he'd rather back Christy, if only because he seems to have it in for Horgan for whatever reason, he's BCNDP so it's probably a good one.

But on his party's biggest declared issues, Electoral reform and the environment, the NDP is a much closer match. Horgan is probably willing to cut him a way better deal. And if he props up the Liberals again he's going to have to explain to a lot of people how he's a force for change in politics, including his own party. Maybe even his own MLAs? He's never had to deal with that before. I don't think we know the other two well enough to say if they'd revolt or even be upset.

I mean, I'm a relatively active union member and voted NDP for that reason, amongst others, but the health sector contracts are up next year, and if the price of becoming premier is agreeing to kick the public sector unions in the teeth, John Horgan will take that in a heartbeat. What are they going to do next time, vote for Christy?

Edit: that said, given our lack of experience with coalitions and the tempers involved, I don't see a green/NDP government lasting more than a year or so. I hope they get PR implemented before that.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The Libertarian vote was bigger than the popular vote margin.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

mashed_penguin posted:

Are there any Liberal leaders in waiting likely to stab Christy Clark in the back or front over this ? I can't imagine their donor base is happy.

Allegedly, Kevin Falcon and his backers are getting ready to make their move. I always thought Falcon was just another Gordon Campbell but clearly a lot of BCLP people would love a younger, less alcoholic Gordo running things.

You would think voters would have an issue with a high ranking cabinet member running away from the party when they thought they'd lose only to opportunistically swoop back in, but, well, Christy Clark.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The Vibrant Victoria braintrust has decided this election was influenced by SINISTER FOREIGN INFLUENCES, aka the Greens might be supported by Americans and they're trying to fool us into accepting a Green/NDP coalition. Hypocritical libs got all offended at Russian election interference, why aren't they outraged at this? Presumably soon someone will cross the floor to the Liberals to do the right thing and protect the British Columbian people.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/867540704536305665

I'm getting dangerously optimistic about this.

You know he's going to milk this for at least a week. I'm just going to breathe easy for the time being and wait for Dr. Weaver's erection to subside.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Helsing posted:

If the provincial government wanted to they could deny every conceivable permit for building access roads and other necessary infrastructure and effectively grind any work on the pipeline to a halt. They could also exact a lot of political damage on Trudeau's brand if they chose to really fight back against the pipeline. The constitutional questions about jurisdiction hardly matter here - if the political will exists then the pipeline could most likely be blocked through a mixture of on the ground protest and provincial obstructionism.

I wonder if Horgan could get away with doing this by pretending Weaver was forcing him into it--I don't mean throwing him under the bus, but the NDP would need the political cover while people would expect the Greens to be more obstinate about an environmental issue.

Postmedia would throw a fit, but they'd do that no matter what an NDP government did, and if they drag things out long enough there'll be nobody left to write about it anyways except Conrad Black, and he'll be too busy begging Trump to invade Canada and liberate us to remember BC exists.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

What's christy's next job? I assume she'll get some gold plated consulting job with one of her private sector bosses?

Don't see why she wouldn't just go back to her old radio job and wait for Kevin Falcon to get fired in another fifteen years or so.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...rochial-mindset

In short, gently caress Alberta, gently caress pipelines, gently caress Trudeau, and gently caress the National Post :cool:

It's hilarious, they're mad at the provincial government for focusing on their province. It's also funny watching all these people defend and talk up Rachel Notley. There was another NP article basically blaming Horgan and Weaver for causing her to lose the next election and also for anything bad Trudeau might do environmentally for years. They're obviously terrified.

I've also seen more than a few pundit types (including one guy on the CBC, I didn't catch who he was exactly) basically saying we should give up even giving Horgan a chance and just call a new election, because it's the only fair way to settle this. Not clear yet if we'd get to vote in the second election or if we'd just be letting, say, Rex Murphy pick the winners.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I don't think Christy's playing 12-dimensional chess here or anything, but it looks like her strategy is "delay things a couple weeks and hope I/the media/Alberta can erode confidence in the NDP/Green alliance". Expect a lot more second election talk until she's forced to give her throne speech, then leak the speech early and the papers can say "since those babies in BC don't want to run consecutive elections, why not support this reasonable and thrifty Liberal government that has clearly learned its lesson?" And THEN start bribing backbenchers.

It still probably won't work but it's her best shot. If Kevin Falcon weren't lurking in the shadows I think she'd be willing to be opposition leader for a while.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

James Baud posted:

In addition to all the speaker fun, she could also give a throne speech where she throws the Greens a bigger bone than the NDP re: proportional representation and Kinder Morgan saying "people have spoken" (just like on HST) and have a blast with that.

I don't think swaying the Greens is going to work. There've been plenty of indications that Weaver was leaning towards the Liberals and they probably had a better deal in place, but the idea of backing them was too repulsive for the rest of the party to bear. Either she flips someone, gets a new election, or she just wastes everyone's time and pisses everyone off, which is fine because she'll get fired and take all the heat anyway.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The BC government especially doesn't seem to have much of a problem with the practice, despite an upcoming Supreme Court case against Brian Day. It keeps getting pushed back so Day can raise more money, and in the meantime nobody has to bother enforcing the laws.

Theoretically speaking, if the health authority cancels surgeries because it can't get orthopaedic surgeons, because all the orthopaedic surgeons in town just happened to take jobs at the new orthopaedic clinic that just opened in the mall, a clinic that the health authority sent its in-house im/it team over to set up all the info systems for so they'd be compatible with the health authority, you almost might sort of wonder if maybe the restraints on the health care system might be kind of artificial.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 10, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

James Baud posted:

You can argue that the system wouldn't be this bad if everybody had to go through it rather than having the outlet of paying for the wait list bypass, but it's bogus because people can and do simply cross the border or fly somewhere... it's dollars and cents, so WCB, etc, would pay to do the same.

Worksafe will already do this in BC if it gets bad enough, and when they run out of excuses to deny your claim.

The problem, as I said above, isn't that the doctors are being oppressed by the government, although that happens all the time (see the fights the Nanaimo Regional doctors are having with VIHA over electronic records). It's that in these cases, the doctors and the province are working together to weaken the public system and enrich the doctors.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

HookShot posted:

I genuinely don't understand why people would give a poo poo that the speaker votes for the party theyre in. Like yeah I get it they're supposed to be impartial but they're also supposed to be the tie-breaker. Oh no, the speaker might have to do the tie-breaking part of their job! Shock! Horror!

Because it'd be an NDP speaker doing it, and right now nobody's even pretending they don't hold the NDP to a different standard than the Liberals. That's why the Smyth/Palmer/Baldrey crowd won't shut up about how unstable and unworkable this government is while getting righteous about poor Christy Clark's rights whenever people suggest she's wasting everyone's time and money by dragging this out to July and beyond. If they had a two-vote gap and the speaker wasn't an issue, they'd all just move on to something else--Site C, most likely, or one of the Liberal cabinet members would have to move offices and not like his new office and it would be proof the NDP was petty and vindictive and this certainly doesn't bode well, etc.

My opinion remains that we should wait for the coalition to actually fail before we mourn its loss. I get why Femtosecond is upset but this is the reaction the Liberals want and if they HAD someone to flip, they'd be rushing to the legislature to embarrass the NDP and bask in the adulation of what remains of the media. Until then they'll have to sit down and shut the gently caress up.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Helsing posted:

If the non-partisan role of the speaker was actually being respected then the Liberals wouldn't mind putting forward a candidate. The NDP/Greens should just call the Liberals' bluff, install one of their own as Speaker and focus on immediately getting a really generous and voter-friend series of packages through parliament. Who cares if they get negative press for it? If the mood of the BC electorate is anything like that of the rest of the world then the NDP-Greens should be running against the media as much as they are against the Liberals. Let a bunch of editorials in the Sun or the Province squawk angrily if they like.

Well, exactly. Of course first we need to have at least four, I mean ten days of debate on the throne speech, and then what if some MLAs have amendments, and tradition dictates Christy gets at least one three-month vacation in there.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

Eliminate legislative bodies and solve everything via crowd sourced referendums

please don't give christy ideas while she's still premier

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

James Baud posted:

I really have a hard time getting worked up about someone deliberately collecting an entirely predictable arrest as part of a political stunt, but maybe that's because I've been seeing environmentalists do it by the dozens or hundreds out here in BC my whole life, to say nothing of the ~10-15 year antiglobalization run... Incidentally, has that ended now that Trump's been elected as an isolationist?

I agree with you in that it's a pretty common stunt, but then again Ezra's been loudly and publicly making GBS threads himself over the horror of paid protestors, and... well, this sort of behaviour from Ezra is pretty common too, actually. He should just get up there and disrupt the play himself next time, and then accuse Shakespeare of being an anti-Semite when he gets arrested. I think we'd all enjoy that.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

The thing with Christy's gambit is that it becomes very hard to campaign next time on the NDP's big spending when you just stole 90% of their platform. Either the Liberals admit it was a bad faith argument and they were wasting everyone's time on a pointless political stunt (because literally nobody is buying this, not even the Province), or they blame the whole thing on Christy and kick her out before the next election. But the next election could be months away, so I guess she's hoping they're too afraid to fire her.

Anyway, de Jong they're going to debate this throne speech for another couple weeks, so don't expect this to end anytime soon.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Christys gonna let us have a third STV referendum!

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

We've seen some rumblings about the BC Conservative Party spinning back up. I think it's likely we could see a mass exodus of donors and right wing Conservative supporters from the BC Libs to the Tories which will be spun by our fearless independent media class as an exciting, nascent, fresh-faced movement with innovative new ideas that just happen to be 100% compatible with the plans of the federal Conservative party. Leaving Christy Clark and her inner circle to compete as a third left-wing party, but actually the first one in everyone's hearts because they keep taxes low and create jobs and a bright future for our kids and grandkids. The party of the last dregs of neoliberal Hillarybots and pride flag humping shills.

Well, Christy wouldn't last five minutes as leader if that happened, and at any rate I think at this point, if you're a BC Liberal just waiting to jump ship and begin the glorious Conservative rebirth, you'd want to wait to see if that electoral reform bill passes. Then you can tell Christy to gently caress off but still vote with the Liberals later if it comes down to it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

JawKnee posted:

I don't believe the NDP will try and enact PR (or some other AV setup) without a referendum. And we all know how those go over in BC.

I wonder if Weaver will try and play hardball a little with Horgan over it though, given the latest polls. Going to election over it would be bad for the Greens, but much worse for the NDP.

As of last night, at his town hall in Victoria, Horgan's position was there would be a referendum, the government wouldn't stay neutral, and there wouldn't be spending caps on the two sides so they'd "get their message out". Don't know how well that's going to look when the Liberals match their spending and then accuse the NDP of wasting tax dollars, etc.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

JawKnee posted:

well that fucks PR right off then. Two failed STV votes, I think we know where this ones going to end up.

Again, maybe not. The Liberal-era referendums all had the government running away from the question as fast as they could and/or "covertly" working against it, while the NDP lacked the resources/brains to fight effectively for their position. Now they have the resources, at least. They'll also have Nathan Cullen, who has the power to teleport directly to any conversation about electoral reform and give a thirty-minute presentation about proportional representation. A referendum win in BC would be great to rub in Justin's face so the federal NDP might actually help out where they can.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, he specifically said 50+1, which makes things a lot easier.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Why would anyone go out there? If you've got a ferry to catch you're on the clock and want to get to the terminal. It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere, surrounded by farms. All the suburbs in the area are already over-served by shopping centres. This isn't the 70's anymore where you can just build a new REGION'S BIGGEST MALLLLL and by guaranteed a steady stream of customers wowed by the size of it all.

I guess if you have a reservation or miss your boat you might have some time to kill. You might also assume that eventually growth in the area will catch up to the mall, if you were really optimistic. I take public transit from the ferry and I'm not getting off in Ladner or whatever to hike over to some wack mega mall and hang out in the food court.

Two weeks ago I was headed back to the island and there were a bunch of guys who'd been to the big sporting goods store and had fishing rods. That's the only evidence I've seen of people going there.

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 11, 2017

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

i wonder how that real estate boom in kitimat is doing lmao

Last I checked they're still building hotels and apartment buildings in the flood plains, just waiting to cash in on the imminent return of the boom economy. Also the only major employer left in town is about to shut down for a labour dispute. Everything's great.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I see she finally read my "crusty clark retire binch" tweet.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

I hope Rich Coleman is the interim leader

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Scorchy posted:

Rich Coleman is the interim leader

the honourable interim leader of the opposition requires an increased stipend for pie

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

It's not even like he's a borderline guy, he's from Abbotsford. Are they blackmailing him or something? Did they offer to help him buy a home in someplace that isn't Abbotsford?

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

THC posted:

he was mentioned in the story a month ago about the "ugly" Liberal caucus retreat in Penticton

Oh, so he's just screwing over the party before he gets kicked out. Good old fashioned politics.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

It's so weird, everything I know about BC politics says that the Liberals should be making the sneaky deals to lure over an opposition MLA and the NDP are the bumbling idiots who get fooled by an excuse about a fake doctor's appointment. I hope Rich Coleman sends out a memo asking MLAs for notes whenever they have appointments now.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

cowofwar posted:

I imagine Tim Hortons franchise top costs are franchise fees and labour. They always seem to have a ludicrous number of employees on staff. Probably half are in training at any given time because they also appear to do things very inefficiently. Presumably this is because they have high turnover and can’t retain competent people.

The franchisees are constantly complaining and/or suing over the head office forcing them to buy sandwich grills or bagel toasters or whatever. It does sound like head office soaks them pretty badly but it also seems like most of them knew what they were getting into when they coughed up the half million and signed the contracts saying they'd buy whatever dumb equipment they were told to.

If they really don't like it maybe they could just tape over the Tim Hortons on their signs and operate as an independent lovely donut shop, like the Quiznos in Victoria did when they became Montreal Subs and Subs Plus and started selling bubble tea with their soggy sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Andrew Wilkinson is the new BC Liberal leader :stare:

Did they decide the problem was that Christy was too warm and likeable?