Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I've only ever had community mailboxes.

Can we get Canada Post to roll out door to door delivery everywhere else? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just loving love how no one even mentioned merit of cabinet ministers until it was women being talked about :rolleyes:

To be fair, when the Minister of Science and Technology looked like he might be a creationist I was.

Though I'm not now; this cabinet looks great to me.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My northern residency tax deduction went up!

Also, gently caress Ghomeshi.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

It said "Judge: "We must fight against the stereotype that all sexual assault complaints are truthful"". Turns out the actual quote is "Courts must guard against applying false stereotypes concerning the expected conduct of complainants", which is a bit more nuanced.

I'm seeing the former quote from multiple places now. Can you link a source that it's a misquote?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Seems like kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you don't seem like what a victim should to the cop asking you questions that aren't even relevant (your actions after the fact should have no bearing on whether something was assault), does it even get past a complaint?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The quote from the ruling that matches it a bit more closely than "Courts must guard against applying false stereotypes concerning the expected conduct of complainants" seems to be:

"However, the twists and turns of the complainants' evidence in this trial illustrate the need to be vigilant in avoiding the equally dangerous false assumption that sexual assault complainants are always truthful."

Here's a tweet that has the other wording. Maybe it was verbal?
https://twitter.com/anne_theriault/status/713027514281500672

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The actual quote from the ruling is not far off, honestly.

Also, you sure it's fake? I'd really like to find out for sure one way or the other.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Eh, assuming a hypothetical (likely impossible) scenario for the purposes of a survey doesn't make someone an idiot. You ask me stupid questions that posit impossible conditions I'll follow your instructions and you'll end up with stupid answers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

sliderule posted:

If you ever go from poverty to "middle-class" income, you could reduce your tax burden significantly for the first few years.
That's not really how TFSA works though, is it? The money you put in the account is all post-tax. The "tax free" refers to any interest you make on that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Isn't that the entire idea behind the "infinite sick days!" trend that swept startups? Hey guess what, you're still going to get in poo poo if you use too many, but we're not going to tell you how many because creating uncertainty is going to get you to use less than you normally would, and we don't have to pay you out or roll over unused sick days because there aren't any.

(Okay, that last bit doesn't apply here.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

Those poor, struggling 150k earners. They might need to give the nanny weekends off.
Man, are parents earning 75k each really hiring nannies for 7 days a week? I'm obviously out of touch.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

reading CBC.ca comments
Well there's yer problem.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Don't worry guys all of lifes problems are easily solved by getting a degree in STEM!
Just move West!

Or, you know, start up a UBI.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Source on this?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This guy is still in custody, right?
http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/father-of-accused-alberta-arsonist-shocked-at-arrest

quote:

Mayerthorpe RCMP announced on the weekend they had arrested and charged Lawson Michael Schalm, 19, with 18 counts of arson, including a dramatic fire that destroyed a CN Rail wooden trestle bridge. He’s being held in custody and is scheduled to appear in Stony Plain provincial court Wednesday.
Just checking.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Visiting family?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I took PTA6's question to mean why the hell would any Canadian go to the Philippines, but maybe I misread it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Summer camp that ends later than school would so fewer people need those 2-3 hours covered?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This is tragic and senseless.

I am considering reaching out to the Islamic Centre here. I want everyone to know they are welcome in Canada.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I urge those of you whose comments include the witness' name to edit them to remove it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

David Corbett posted:

I doubt that will be necessary
What does this mean?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It probably won't have much of an impact, sadly, but the less the witness has linking his name to this shooting the better.

I still don't get how what you're saying has any relevance to that.

edit:
The three critically wounded victims are out of danger says le Soleil:
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/justice-et-faits-divers/201701/30/01-5064466-tous-les-blesses-hors-de-danger.php

odiv fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 30, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Thank you. It would be nice if news outlets did the same.

I just have this horrible thought that loving infowars type idiots are going to concoct some conspiracy false-flag nonsense and he will be the lightning rod for their poo poo.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah probably. :(

Maybe I should be super sarcastic and jaded in this thread instead of concerned and that will show everyone how cool I am.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/StephenMarche/status/831173984175714304

We're zooming in and analyzing handshakes now, I guess?

I suppose Trump's are loving weird enough to deserve it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

the worst of both sides 2017.
We're how many days out from the Quebec mosque shooting? If the worst the left has to offer is oversensitivity and ideological bludgeons, then are they even really trying here?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It makes me so proud to be a Canadian that our leader is better looking than their leader.
Right?

https://twitter.com/mathowie/status/831596437435670528

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

brucio posted:

It looks like you're really rolling the dice if you try to cross the border into the states if you're brown

https://twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/838792489150590977

Hasn't this kind of poo poo been happening since at least 9/11 (and probably before)? It seems like everyone had a friend or relative who was denied entry without explanation or hassled unnecessarily at the border. Then there was the whole loving Peter Watts debacle.

I'm completely willing to believe it's ramped up since the election/inauguration though, as racist thugs within the border patrol are likely emboldened ("you've been Trumped"), or are being given specific direction. I'd just be interested to see how much is an increase in this BS and how much is our willingness to now pay attention to it. Like is the religious questioning completely new or just happening more? The article says the woman's mother was denied entry in the summer, but there was no story about it then and I'm not sure if it was a similar experience for her.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/838898011036090372

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"Why the gently caress would I want to support cancer!?"

*slams door in 10 year old's face*

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

How about a speed limit of 10km/hr everywhere except for public transit! Then people are too annoyed to drive.

Realistically, incentives (tax or otherwise) for companies to allow employees to work from home?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I took my car off the road for a while and biked/bussed it, but fuuuuuck biking at -25 or lower. I know a couple of people who bike year round and they have some fun stories about the joys of maintaining a bike in -40. Work wouldn't let me bring the bike inside and took the bike racks away in the winter so I had to lock it in a snowbank onto the fence or on the sidewalk to a meter. The bus stop is actually super convenient to my house, which I really like, but they stop running at around 7:30pm and don't run at all on Sundays.

What I should do is get back to walking.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean I know someone who had a positive experience overall with residential schooling and she's certainly earned the right to say so, but yeah, the "kindly and well-intentioned men and women and their descendants" who ran the place? I don't think we need to go out of our way to make sure their "good deeds" aren't "overshadowed". What the gently caress.

(help, I ran out of scare quotes)

odiv fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 9, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You have your mortgage and CC already with one bank and direct deposit is already set up at work, etc etc

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CharlesMichel/status/875780734052683778

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Vice posted:

Honestly, $80 to spend a night a) in downtown Edmonton and b) in the same bed Derek Fildebrandt has slept in is a steal. The man was practically running a (government-subsidized) charity and you people shut him down. If this is the way we treat business in Rachel Notley's Alberta then make no wonder the economy is in the tank.
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/599z7z/derek-fildebrandt-airbnb-host-is-the-greatest-statesman-in-alberta-history

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 10, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The hospital here is very low intervention, from what I've heard. In other cities down South friends of ours were getting calls pressuring them to schedule a date to come in and be induced just a week past the due date.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/902286548057563137

Yeah, gently caress it, why not jump on this bandwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

High alcohol/substance abuse too. I think the only area where they're not #1 is teen pregnancy?