Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

PT6A you must be stoked that your man Nenshi was declared the Best Mayor in the World:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-s-naheed-nenshi-named-top-mayor-in-the-world-1.2217700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I really doubt it will ever come to that, but seriously, :lol:. Harpo is so loving salty.

"Justin had to DEMAND the resignation of the Right Honourable PM that the true Old Stock Canadians wanted! JUST NOT READY!"

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Square Peg posted:

Maybe Harper heard what happened in Portugal and a lightbulb flashed above his head.

Replace pro-Euro/Brussels with pro-US and approximately 30% of Canadians would be totally onboard with the CPC abolishing democracy in the interest of appeasing the US.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

a primate posted:

That last part is really interesting, although I'm not sure what "proportional representation" means in this context (I'm guessing MMP?)

Sounds like it. The Greens would gain a lot of seats especially from MMP I think.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

If a plebiscite on electoral reforms fails, isn't that democracy in action? I find the logic of "we must reform the system to be more representative/democratic, but we mustn't ask the people what they think of this plan" to be a little peculiar.

Sometimes in a democracy, for the good of the nation, you need the politicians do what a majority of the people do not want. For example, a 2013 poll suggests 63% of Canadians support reinstating the death penalty. Should the government therefore do it?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

These sentiments don't easily square with the idea (expressed by political scientists in the article) that electoral reform would be good because it made the system more democratic. FPTP actually seems like a decent system for people who are basically distrusting of democracy.

Well, it's more democratic in that the views of the people are more generally represented. So the Greens getting 7% of the vote and yet only having 1 representative wouldn't be the case anymore with MMP or whatever. Which is more democratic. But I don't think those political scientists would go so far as to say that the ultimate in democracy, which is just having referendums on everything and going with the majority vote, would be good. People are stupid pieces of poo poo, and sometimes they need to be dragged kicking and screaming into the correct course of action. Electoral reform won't change that.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah I was thinking about 2008. I think people would vote for them more if they knew their vote would actually do something, unlike now where you're just throwing it away in virtually every district. Their numbers would probably go up significantly with proportional representation.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Heavy neutrino posted:

In the end, do you leave the expansion of democracy to democracy, which is susceptible to bogus propaganda campaigns, or do you leave it up to power systems, which are susceptible to glaring conflicts of interest?

It's a lovely choice either way.

There seems to be a broad consensus that proportional representation has more pros than cons compared to FPTP. In this case it isn't a lovely choice either way, because there's a right answer. In this case, the most expeditious route to the objectively superior option is the right choice.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Alberta oil stuff is a serious issue among the social justice community so you were right to bring this to us first

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

you've gotten kinda low effort lately

He's always been "HEY SJW LOL SJW WHERE'S YOUR WEED"

The only difference is that sometimes his same old schtick is accompanied by a news article about how SJWs are weeding up their social justice weed.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

I wouldn't really consider a portrait of the Queen to be really Harper's legacy. Unless you really think the Conservatives traditional throwbacks are somehow nefarious in nature, which I don't think you do.

I like portraits of the Queen, but more like 1930s portraits of a young Elizabeth because Im a giant hipster who thinks old things are cool not because I want to go back to being a British subject who hates brown people or something.

Having a bunch of paintings of Dear Leader hanging everywhere is grotesque. Actual art should replace this Big Sister Is Watching poo poo at every opportunity.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

Paging CI to come and call me a raging jackboot authoritarian but I like having national symbols of unity that represents something more than just the Government of the day. Even if it happens to be some old lady in another country.

Art from prominent Canadians, painted in the 1940s, is pretty much the closest to a national symbol of unity you're going to find. Stuff by Canadians about Canada is worth a hell of a lot more than another generic portrait of a lady who has nothing to do with this country aside from some pieces of paper nobody with a brain gives a poo poo about.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I can't wait to hear Sun News describe how Trudeau is a weak leader because he let Canadian assets get seized by a foreign country we're ostensibly helping.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

jm20 posted:

You would think so but keep history in mind

That's different though, it's Israel. There's very little they could do which would warrant serious repercussions from the US.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. It's widely acknowledged in some circles (And this may disinformation) that Canada's Special Forces are really good. And it is very likely that they are deployed in Iraq, like they were in Afghanistan and Libya and such, even thought there is no acknowledgement due to opsec reasons.

You should just say JTF-2, because it's widely known that CSOR is deployed there, and they're a part of our special forces as well.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

My name is also Enpee.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Brandon Proust posted:

canadians whining about socialized medicine :allears:

We seriously need an exchange program where we send these people to the US and in exchange they give us Bernie Sanders.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Funneling people who can potentially be radicalized into the killzone of Syria/Iraq seems like a win all around. We should be subsidizing these people who want to fight for ISIS while covertly fitting them with GPS devices to make killing them easier. We should focus on the humanitarian stuff, but as long as the Americans and French are taking out the trash, may as well get them to clean up our scumbags, too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So a craft brewer active in three provinces at least is ending all its operations in those provinces because of a tax change in one of them? What kind of garbage were they selling?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

JawKnee posted:

overpriced but decent tasting beer

If they can't absorb an Alberta tax increase then their margins were razor thin and there's no great loss in their pulling out of various provinces. Also, does the Alberta tax change make its taxes higher than Sask. and BC? I mean, was their entire business model basically the Uwe Boll scenario, where you continue to make poo poo products due to virtually nil taxes someplace?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Franks Happy Place posted:

Hey, so about that super wonderful RCMP operation in Victoria that nabbed two random idiots that swagger is always defending:

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11527169

They spent millions of dollars and had a shitload of people working this operation, too. Reading about the ordeals in convincing those two idiots to stop getting high and boning and to finally go about procuring materials for a bomb is hilarious. You can feel the frustration at having worked so long/spent so much money on trying to nab two people who very obviously weren't terrorists and were no threat to anyone.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arivia posted:

Hey, it's 2015 and we're still forcibly sterilizing Indigenous women. Go Canada!

Just taking our ques from our #1 Ally and Bastion of Freedom and Democracy in the Middle East http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-admits-ethiopian-women-were-given-birth-control-shots.premium-1.496519

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You have to be pretty loving stupid to think he called someone an "NDP horde". Is he campaigning on being a level 60 Alliance character?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Helsing posted:

I have zero sympathy for the junkie jihadists who were willing to, if not quite capable of, murdering people. The scandal here is the RCMP throwing away a lot of money in an ill conceived politicized scheme to justify more money and power for their department.

If the RCMP just wanted to put these fools behind bars I'm pretty sure there are cheaper, simpler and less legally dubious ways to do so. The elaborate and expensive attempts to manufacture a bomb plot only really make sense if your primary goal is to generate public anxiety or maybe advance your own career.

Maybe if we took the RCMP's millions they spent on this sting operation and instead spent it on helping junkies, there'd be fewer people susceptible to being bribed and cajoled over the course of months into performing criminal actions.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Cynics will see it creates profit and deride it as a tax-grab. Although certainly the groups opposed to this move will nonetheless find a way to paint it as being a selfish move by the ANDP designed to do nothing more than steal money from hard-working people/corporations and redistribute it to lazy parasites, at least this way it makes it harder to paint a convincing story.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Weird BIAS posted:

What is it with dentists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Sell Alberta to the US, tia.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Canada's top general is having trouble hiding his war boner: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/12/18/radicalized-militants-are-enemy-of-our-time-top-general-warns.html

quote:

“They can affect us, our children through radicalized messaging. We’ve seen it. We’re concerned about it. There are young people going there to fight them or fight for them,” Vance said.

Indeed, radicalized individuals were responsible for the fatal attacks on two soldiers on Canadian soil in October 2014.

“All of that is something we ought to be uncomfortable with and should work to defeat,” he said. “Now defeat doesn’t necessarily come with arms and weapons. It comes in lots of different ways but I do think it needs to be addressed.”

Should be fired for trying to influence politics as a member of the CAF imo

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Nothing is funnier than right-wing douchebags who voted for Harper on the basis of "gently caress the poor/Canada, as long as my taxes get lowered/I am given handouts, nothing else matters" suddenly becoming leftists advocating for expanded benefits for low-income people. My family explicitly stated their indifference to poor people dying in the streets if it meant their taxes get lowered, and now they can't shut the gently caress up about how we can't afford to take in refugees when we aren't even taking care of our poorest citizens properly. I'm sure it's just a Christmas miracle and all the CPC voters suddenly grew a conscience!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, we should definitely give the idiots in the RCMP more money because once every 150 years some random moron in Buttfuck, Sask might shoot 4 people with a rifle. That's definitely something the RCMP could reasonably be expected to stop in between their busy schedule of entrapping drug addicts.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So they thought he might try to go to a country he could potentially get terrorist-related training, and so they arrested him and charged him with carrying a pocket knife or something? Pretty lovely article, all things considered.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Dreylad posted:

Is there any way any conditions could be considered constitutional?

As long as they're restrictions based on bullshit Catholic dogma they trump the Canada Health Act.

The church used to own many of the hospitals, so when they sold them to pay for the lawsuits against their rapist clergy or whatever, they were able to stipulate that stuff like abortions and vasectomies be forbidden from being done in their former hospital. There are/were hospitals in pretty much every major city that have/had those restrictions. Or in PEI's case, both of their hospitals were like that.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 31, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

jm20 posted:

EMT's starting a trach, lol.

Advanced care paramedics in Ontario are trained to do cricothyrotomies and to intubate with an ETT. I don't know what paramedics in Alberta do, but I am sure it's minimally different.

Anyway, it wasn't the medics and it's dumb to think that's where the medical fault lies.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

jm20 posted:

I actually thought our EMT's in Ontario didn't do intubation, I know our RPN's are a basically useless cost savings crutch for our healthcare system. It's only the RN's that do them, and you want people with practical experience doing them regularly to not unlike placing an IV in a less common area when necessary.

It depends on the base hospital physician what medics can do, but in Ontario, ACPs are trained to intubate, put in chest tubes, and so on.

Oh, and RPNs can do most things RNs can do. I wouldn't call them useless, just statistically less competent. But boy they sure are a lot cheaper to employ.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 27, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Hey guys communism killed at least 200 million. We should also add the number of people North Korea has killed to the tally of lives lost to democracy, because surely a regime claiming it's the Democratic People's Republic of Korea must be an accurate representation of those things, right?

Stalin's purges, Mao's great stumble, etc., have nothing to do with communism other than the superficial. There's a reason the terms Stalinism and Maoism exist to separate it from other forms of governance.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Brannock posted:

Cool, can I cite Reaganism and Thatcherism as divergent from capitalism?

We don't need Reagan or Thatcher to indict capitalism.

PT6A posted:

Communism, like capitalism, is not outright harmful. It is an ideology and cannot, in and of itself, perform violence toward a person or towards property.

The root of capitalism is some people taking from other people. Its barest bones is inequality, and have's vs. have-nots. Capital vs. labour. Capitalism in its purest form was during the industrial revolution. Child labour, 7-day work weeks, with 12 - 14 hour workdays, paying company scrip with no holidays (except maybe Christmas). The things that make capitalism semi-tolerable in the year 2016 are decidedly against the interests of capitalism.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Oh no, someone, sometime looked at something they shouldn't have. Shut it down, shut it all down!

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 3, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

He said it wasn't at Statscan he saw someone look at something they shouldn't have. He's actually just saying one time someone in Ottawa looked at something they shouldn't have, therefore nobody should ever comply with government information requests.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

never happy posted:

I <3 oil sands is so weird. it's the worst subset of an already questionable industry. It's as ridiculous as a forestry worker with "I <3 clear cutting" , or a farmer with "I <3 mono-cropping", or a fisherman saying "I <3 fish farms".

oil people are strange

Wow this is no time to get political, don't you see there are people going through a tragedy? Everything in Alberta is made of gold until, like, 6 - 8 months from now at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

US will beat us to the punch on broad legalization because the bill the Libs put forward is going to be milquetoast garbage like C-14 (the assisted dying bill).