Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

EvilJoven posted:

The next 4 years are most likely going to be terribly unremarkable.

After the last 10 years I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

THC posted:

‘I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer’: Chris Alexander QQs about the campaign that cost him his job (w/ video)

“We’re still the party that sees reality as it is, doesn’t want to go on some hippy-trippy jaunt down memory lane and put marijuana in the windows of every store,” he said in an interview Tuesday on Ottawa’s Sparks Street.

“We’re trying to deal with the real issues that Canadians are facing. And we’ll continue to do that.”

The Liberals have promised to legalize and regulate pot but haven’t actually said it would be in the windows of every store.

And Alexander takes issue with the way his opponents characterized the Tories’ stance on immigrants and refugees, especially in the wake of a photo of three-year-old Syrian boy Alan Kurdi lifeless on a Turkish beach, which focused the world’s attention on a refugee crisis many feel Canada and other countries have failed to act on with urgency.

This scrutiny only increased when Kurdi’s Canadian aunt said she’d tried to get members of his family to Canada only to have them refused.

“I spent two weeks being called a baby-killer by other MPs and by people in the media. That was not pleasant.”

The Liberals and NDP took citizenship, immigration and refugee issues for “pretty unpleasant purposes,” Alexander charged.

“That’s the story that people insist on telling, that we are cold-hearted Conservatives, that we’ve never done the right thing. And it’s wrong,” said Alexander.

“We started bringing Syrian refugees to Canada on a large scale in January,” he said. “But nobody covered it. Somehow it became divisive that we hadn’t brought them all, by the middle of the campaign.”

Canada has resettled 2,500 Syrian refugees since 2013. Global News and other media organizations have been covering the issue extensively over the past two years.

Alexander predicts Liberal leader Justin Trudeau will have trouble following through on his promise to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year.

“Nothing’s impossible, but cost, safety, the operational standards for which Canada is renowned, are all issues,” he said.

“We have the best record in the world for refugee resettlement because we do it well. We meet certain standards. We check out who people are. We make sure human smugglers aren’t involved. We make sure identity theft isn’t involved. We make sure people are who they say they are. We make sure criminals don’t benefit from Canada’s generous refugee policies. When you start moving large numbers of people in short periods of time, all of that can be compromised.”

As Global News has reported, Canada doesn’t have the best record in the world on refugees, although we have taken in more than the United States. Advocates have argued there’s no reason Canada couldn’t bring in more people while maintaining security standards.

Alexander also takes issue with the campaign’s focus on new laws that gave him the authority to unilaterally strip dual citizens of their Canadian citizenship if they were found guilty of terrorism.

The Conservatives were accused of making it an election issue when they announced during the campaign their intention to strip the citizenship of people arrested on terror charges almost a decade ago. Justin Trudeau kept the issue in the headlines, repeating “a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian” in his speeches and saying that the Conservative change was creating two classes of citizens – something that Alexander believes was a mischaracterization.

“Suddenly we ended up in a campaign talking about second-class citizens? That concept does not exist in Canadian law. It should not exist in public debate. We did not introduce it to the debate. When it was introduced by the party that’s now won the election, we didn’t counter it enough,” he said.

“We don’t have room in this country for poison like that :ironicat: and people deserve in an election to know what the law actually says, the protections they enjoy in this country, what opportunities they enjoy in this country compared to virtually every country in the world. But that failed to be communicated.”

But I thought Chris Alexander was a smart dude who only sounded like a stupid brat because he had to toe the party line???

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

If Trudeau is smart, this is already the perfect spin for the story. "This is something Harper should have done ten years ago, but he didn't, and now we have to clean up his mess."

I heard that Stornoway (residence of the leader of the opposition) is in need of renovations too. If that's true they should do both at the same time, it has better optics.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Psawhn posted:

I don't really drink alchohol, but it seems lots of CanPoli Goons talk about it lots, and I came across this article.

http://www.onbeer.org/2015/10/alberta-shifts-the-beer-playing-field/

So... is this bad because taxes? Good because local breweries? Or bad because local breweries are poo poo?

The gradation sounds like a great idea

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Jorghnassen posted:

Getting rid of it was not surprising in itself (it was profoundly stupid, but not surprising given Harper's policies), the baffling part was replacing it with a more expensive, less reliable survey.

I might be wrong about this but as I recall they tried to bury the news of getting rid of it by putting it in some obscure newsletter the friday before a three day weekend or something. When people actually noticed they developed their spin about it being "mandatory" and then shat out their voluntary form to match the spin. I think the plan was always to quietly get rid of it with no replacement. When the story got a lot more coverage and outrage than they expected they had to come up with a solution that still kept it dead and matched their rhetoric but made it look not so bad.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you think a single person voted on the issue of cabinet size? He probably made the promise because he didn't expect to win so many seats, now that he has it would be silly to waste the talent. Complaining about it absolutely comes across as grasping at straws and hyper-partisan.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

The way to tackle obesity is not to say "Buck up, fat people, you lazy slobs, and buy a gym membership!" It's to go to the source and regulate food producers to stop literally poisoning children in order to get them addicted to food that will slowly kill them.

That's exactly what he said:

Brannock posted:

Actually, yeah, you're not too far off there. Companies have been getting much, much better at designing processed foods that are difficult to stop eating. "Once you pop, you can't stop", right?

The other thing here is you're conflating population-level issues with personal-level issues. The solution to solve a population-wide problem is very rarely going to be the same solution to solve personal problems. Telling all of North America to suck it up, eat less, and move more isn't going to solve poo poo, but it will absolutely work for an individual as long as that individual is honest with themselves and honest in their effort to change.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Anyway back on the "merit" topic. It's already been pointed out that the cabinet is well qualified, more so than Harper's for sure. But there's another problem underlying the complaints from the whiners, and that is the assumption that merit alone should be the only criteria used in selecting the cabinet. The whole point of parliament is that it's supposed to "represent" us, the citizens. But it only intrinsically represents us based on where we live. You vote as a citizen of riding X and a representative is chosen to represent that riding. Anything else about you, your age, your class, your gender, your ethnicity, your religion, etc. is not represented, only where you physically live. It makes sense then that the parties ought to correct for this and ensure that they offer a slate of candidates that matches the diversity of the populace along those dimensions, and that should they form government the cabinet should be likewise representative. That is not to say that qualifications aren't important of course, you don't want to put someone into a position they aren't qualified for just to have a token minority (which is a pretty insulting thing to do actually), but qualifications shouldn't be the only consideration either.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Aagar posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rona-ambrose-will-support-inquiry-into-missing-murdered-indigenous-women-1.3308463

Excellent news, the now official opposition is totally on board to support an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women!

I am completely convinced that after a decade of actively trying to squash this, the CPC is now totally on board with getting to the bottom of this issue, and it is a breath of fresh air to see that they will support the LPC, even though the LPC has a majority and can order it even if Harper threatens to stand in the House topless.

Is this the new strategy then? Have every CPC MP come out and say that they were really progressive after all, but because of big, bad Harper they were all muzzled and couldn't speak the message that they wanted to promote? Not that I don't think there's a lot of truth to that, just that it seems a day late and a dollar short to try and jump on the bandwagon now. Also, it seems logical to conclude that if they actually were so vehemently opposed to Harper in spirit, why did they toady along instead of speaking out? Rather spineless "leaders" - who else would they kow-tow to if put into power again?

Between this and Tony Clement telling us he liked the long form census all along I think this is the strategy. The thing is, there's a good chance it could backfire. Harper may have muzzled the "progressive" wing of the party, but he also muzzled the troglodytes on the backbench. If the progressive wing starts speaking more openly the conservative wing might feel it's time for the world to hear their opinions too. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some rifts in the party over social issues in the next few years, especially with the number of social issues Trudeau has on his agenda.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Helsing posted:

Government regulated weed sounds pretty awful. Decriminalization would be much more preferable.

Why?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its almost like they say one thing during the campaign only to do something opposite once elected. Hmm...

Except it looks like they're doing it anyway?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ikantski posted:

Maybe the increased tax on the 1%ers will cover the tax break for the 45k-125k people but we'll be borrowing money to give the tax break to the 125k-200k folks. Which seems a little silly, there are probably better things to borrow for. I don't think they announced details today though, they might still change implementation details?

I agree it's not the best policy, I'd rather they raise that top rate and leave the other one alone. Or offset it with more brackets or a higher rate on the top bracket. But they're in a hard place now because they'll be criticized no matter what they do: if they keep the changes to exactly what they said then they'll lose revenue, if they make it revenue-neutral they'll be breaking their promise. I'd prefer the latter because I feel it's more in the spirit of what was promised but I suspect they'll go with the former. Or maybe they'll do something in between and please no one. Anyway I guess we'll find out soon.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's too bad that minimum income is already being framed as a program only for 'the most impoverished.' In all likelihood we'll end up with a negative income tax that gives the Liberals the opportunity to cut all sorts of other social safety net programs. In fact that's how it already being framed:

Wow people will complain about anything. The added efficiency is a major selling point of a minimum income scheme. It's similar to healthcare: it turns out that the US spends a lot more on administrative overhead compared to UHC countries, because when you have a byzantine patchwork of insurers it takes a lot of bureaucracy to sort out who pays who what. Whereas when everyone is covered by the same system the administration is easy. Done correctly, folding a bunch of (but not all) social safety programs into a single minimum income program should also be much more cost effective. The people receiving should also have less crap to deal with in terms of bureaucracy and forms and waiting periods. Another thing I like about it is that it gives those receiving it more independence. Instead of having assistance with strings attached (this is for drugs, this is for housing, etc) you get your money and you spend it how you want. I find something patronizing about the way a lot of social assistance works, like you're too poor to make your own decisions regarding your finances so the government is going to be calling the shots. It's worse in the US where food stamps have approved lists of purchases (and politicians whine about things like people using stamps to buy soda) but I like anything that moves in the direction of treating people like adults who can make their own choices.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Except that this isn't a true Minimum Income plan that the Ontario Liberals are introducing. Its a top-up which still pretty much welfare for select people with a ton of bureaucracy.

Fair enough, I'll have to read up more on this proposal.

Helsing posted:

The thing with minimum incomes is, in the immortal words of the philosopher Michael Ironside, "Something given has no value". It would be an inherently unstable political arrangement, especially in today's economically unbalanced society.

The old Fordist economy, which delivered relatively high wages and a modicum of economic stability to a broadly based 'middle class', was protected by a strong and politically active labour movement. When a significant degree of the workforce is unionized that has ripple effects on the rest of the economy, one of which is to create a relatively even balance of power between labour and capital. This is why it tooks decades of incremental change and local battles before the labour movement was effectively broken and forced onto an entirely defensive posture.

If you just pass a law giving people minimum incomes there's very little to stop the next government from coming in and changing the law again. The minimum income will raise labour costs and it will be a highly visible example of a progressive economic policy, something that most businesses would be opposed to as a matter of principle (few modern businessmen welcome new sources of non-market income for their workers).

Any kind of sustainable economic redistribution requires some kind of permanent institutional support system. You can't just pass a law and go home, you need to have some kind of social force that remains permanently in place to protect these policies from the inevitable backlash.

I don't believe that arguing for a minimum income based on efficiency is a particularly persuasive pitch. It's the kind of policy that requires (political) force, rather than gentle persuasion, to be enacted and then maintained. Arguing for it on primarily technocratic grounds misunderstands the political dynamic that is necessary to actually redistribute wealth. Social classes and groupings receive payouts from society that are commensurate to whatever they have the strength and organizational capacity to demand from the system.

These seem like orthogonal concerns. It's just as easy with the current system for the next government to gently caress with the social safety net as it is. I'd argue it would slightly more difficult to make changes a mincome sort of system because people would be generally more aware of it, whereas tinkering with a split up safety net is easier to slide under the radar.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Helsing posted:

Maybe. That's broadly how Healthcare has worked out: nobody will do more than minor tinkering with transfer payments because the program is so popular with the public. The truth is, though, that part of the reason healthcare is so succesful is that many of its beneficiaries (i.e. old people) are well organized and politically conscious.

My sense is that a minimum income would be much more vulnerable to political attacks though, in the way that welfare and employment insurance have been steadily reduced and diminished without provoking a sustained public outcry or backlash.

Haha I was just thinking of the "old people" effect. Imagine if welfare, EI, and old age security were all replaced with minimum income. That's going to make it much harder to gently caress with politically. Tying welfare for the poor to welfare for the old can only help it. Conversely look to the US where medicaid and medicare are decoupled, making it easier for republicans to slash medicaid while leaving medicare alone.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2016

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Will the judge's decision be published?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

RBC posted:

Reading the judgement on ghomeshi is sad. The judge literally says that because the witness couldn't remember what kind of car ghomeshi drove, she can't be trusted to recall herself being sexually assaulted.

That's an misleading characterization of what he wrote. The type of car played a central role in her testimony:

quote:

[16] After about half an hour Mr. Ghomeshi and L.R. left the pub. He drove her to her car that was parked a short distance away. L.R. had a clear and very specific recollection of his car being a bright yellow Volkswagen Beetle. It struck her as being a "Disney car", a "Love Bug". She said she was impressed that he was not driving a Hummer or some such vehicle. The "Love Bug" car was significant to her because it contributed to her impression of his softness, his kindness and generally, that it was safe to be with him.

[35] One of L.R.'s clear memories was simply, and demonstrably, wrong. She testified at length about Mr. Ghomeshi's bright yellow Volkswagen "Love Bug" or "Disney car". This was a significant factor in her impression that Mr. Ghomeshi was a "charming" and nice person. However, I find as a fact that Mr. Ghomeshi did not acquire the Volkswagen Beetle that she described until seven months after the event she was remembering.
[36] In a case which turns entirely on the reliability of the evidence of the complainant, this otherwise, perhaps, innocuous error takes on greater significance. This was a central feature of her assessment of Mr. Ghomeshi as a "nice guy" and a safe date. Her description of his car was an important feature of her recollection of the first date. And yet we know that this memory is simply wrong. The impossibility of this memory makes one seriously question, what else might be honestly remembered by her and yet actually be equally wrong? This demonstrably false memory weighs in the balance against the general reliability of L.R.’s evidence as a whole.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Also jesus christ Margaret Wente:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/truth-and-deception-ghomeshi-verdict-a-good-day-for-justice/article29387850/

quote:

The message for genuine sexual assault victims should be very reassuring.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Helsing posted:

A living income is a lot more expensive than most people seem to realize. It would involve a massive reworking of the government's fiscal framework to actually implement it, and most of the savings are based on the assumption that you'd eliminate other government programs. On its own the living income also doesn't protect against price increases that could rapidly eat into the gains of a living income.

Obviously on the most simplistic level it makes intuitive sense to fight poverty by giving people money. But it's a policy that seems to ignore political reality by trying to enact massive redistribution without changing the underlying power relations of the economy.

In the mid 20th century the labour movement and various organized groups of citizens were bulwarks supporting the creation and maintenance of the welfare state. Who is going to play that role if we implement a basic income? What constituency is going to exist to ensure that landlords don't gobble up all the extra money in the form of higher rents? What consituency is going to stop the next government from slashing the basic income (wouldn't that be a neat trick, Party A implements basic income and removes welfare, Party B gets elected five years later and cuts basic income in half without restoring welfare. A progressive policy just directly lead to the halving of a vulnerable population's income).

To be clear I've got nothing against a basic income in principle but I think it's been turned into something of a false idol for the left. The basic problem is that working people lack political power, and a narrow band of elites have way too much power. I don't believe you can solve anything without addressing that imbalance.

1) You want a left that is organized and supports the creation and maintenance of the welfare state, yet I see you repeatedly belittle a progressive policy that they could rally around. If you want people to organize for a cause you need objectives they can push for. Fixing power structures is too abstract a goal, and it's a means to an end anyway. People need to see that end. If you think there is something better to work on than basic income then tell us about it, but abstractions like "addressing power imbalances" aren't going to work. You address power imbalances with concrete, actionable goals. What are they?

2) Implementing policy goals is a win. It motivates people to defend what they've accomplished and push for more. It shifts the Overton window in your direction. And it's more difficult to undo policies that have been implemented than it is to block them in the first place (healthcare for example). There's nothing stopping Party B from cutting welfare right now, besides the political consequences. Why would that be different in a world where basic income was implemented?

You're starting to sound like the type of person who scoffs at working towards meaningful policy because you can't make progress until capitalism is overthrown man. When people go down that road they essentially remove themselves from anything resembling mainstream politics and ensure their own irrelevance.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I'm largely in agreement I just find something off-putting about the way you've responded the last few times it's come up. I just wanted to make a few minor points:

Helsing posted:

The Overton window doesn't just automatically shift when a new policy gets implemented. The actual process is a bit more muddled and confused in practice. For instance, support among American voters for social security or medicare is extremely high but many of these same voters have strongly anti-government views. They unironically declare "government hands off my medicare" and see no contradiction in demanding more government support for themselves despite bemoaning the welfare bums who continue to suck on the government's teat. Similarly I know guys in Canada who rant endlessly about overly generous government pensions but who love Canadian healthcare.
What I believe this thought exercise demonstrates is that developing, implementing and then defending a public policy is a really complicated endeavor. Yes, we need concrete and actionable goals, but we also need a theory of social change that will give us the strategic insight and tactical flexibility to actually win the inevitable political battles. It's not enough to have a policy that, in theory, solves the problem.

The implication of all this, in my mind, is not that basic income is a bad idea or an unworthy idea, but rather that in its current form it's an incomplete one. It's all well and good to say that it would be better if the government distributed wealth more evenly. What I'm saying is that actually implementing and defending a policy will be hard work.

This has been a long post so I'll wrap up here, but I have one final thought to add: history can be a helpful guide here. And my interpretation of history (which you're welcome to challenge if you've got some good counter examples) is that successful reforms come from the demands of social movements, typically demands that take decades to formulate and implement.

So, having typed that mountain of words, I'll just conclude by saying that basic income could be a good plank within a larger platform, but if its just a one-shot change to the current system that leaves the power relations of society untouched then I'm skeptical that it could 1) be implemented, 2) be maintained and 3) be at an adequate level to actually address the underlying problems.

Actually getting this idea implemented won't be just a "one-shot change" though. It would take a lot of organizing and convincing and overcoming of political resistance to get it implemented. If we actually got it implemented that would be an indicator that the power relations of society had changed. My problem is the way you've been wording your critique is sort of "well we need to fix these structural problems first and then we'll get to implementing these polices" and what I'm saying is that the process of implementing these ideas itself is going to involve (partially) identifying and fixing the structural problems. There's no more efficient way to both discover and demonstrate to others the structural issues than to try and implement a good idea and see who resists it and how they go about it.

quote:

I am broadly supportive of the concept of a basic income but I see it more as a starting point for a debate. In my opinion the left has been much too quick to sacrifice any kind of broadly based theoretical understanding of society or of how power operates in society. Ever since the intellectual and material collapse of Marxism the left has been really gunshy about actually theorizing society.

:psyduck: If you think the left is gunshy about theorizing then you and I must occupy two very different worlds.

quote:

This is pretty ironic because if you look at the Democratic primary in the USA it seems like a big part of Bernie Sanders appeal is that he's offering a generalized critique of how money has corrupted politics rather than just proposing a list of reforms he'd implement.
But even in this regard (money in politics) US leftists have (for better or for worse) largely coalesced around reversing Citizen's United as the major action item.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Jan posted:

Sure, pretty much all genetic improvements that see their way to the public are done in a careful, controlled environment. But statistics being what they are, there's always the faint possibility that you're introducing a gene modification that's beneficial in most respects, but happens to interact with a different gene in such a way that causes it to drift unpredictably and perhaps out of control. That genotype you observed making cabbage more resilient to insects and parasites might turn other species in the same genus into uncontrollable weeds with practically no value, until the Earth is covered in them. It's unlikely to happen, but all it takes is one honest mistake that spirals out of control.

Um, what? Nature is in a state of constant competition, if there was a single mutation that caused a plant to "take over the Earth" it would've happened by now. It's not that easy. Yes there are invasive species but an earth conquering superweed isn't going to happen. And keep in mind that human cultivated plants aren't particularly good at surviving without our care in the first place (seeing as how they're designed to maximize edible yield at the expense of basically everything else).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Might as well include the conservative one:
https://twitter.com/Colettod/status/718469547725078528

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
"Minister of the Future" sounds badass.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Technically taking a sick day when you aren't physically ill is abuse of sick days even if the reason behind you calling in when you're physically fine is because your job has become so poo poo that you wake up one morning and know that your two choices that day are to either call in sick or go to work and just spin and scream until they drag you out on a stretcher.

The question is: are they taking sick days now when they aren't sick, or were they not taking sick days when they were sick in order to bank them?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
That's so infuriating. Every "flat" bracket is regressive by default. Then there's a bunch of $2500 brackets that jump by $150, but they're much smaller than the flat brackets, so the overall effect is extremely regressive.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
It turns out it's hard to get people to move. NL already went through a few rounds of resettlement in the 50s/60s/70s to reduce the number of small communities.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Can the Globe just loving fire Margaret Wente already? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/community/inside-the-globe/public-editor-prose-must-be-attributed/article29749706/
(don't worry it's not a link to her column so you can click on it)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I'm guessing only a small percentage of her "readers" actually like her columns.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

The fact that this is once again the managements doing rather than the workers should be all the prompting the Trudeau gov should need to depose the loving worthless trash Harper appointed but the Liberals have so far been all to keen to continue with conservative poo poo on other labour policy stuff so I won't hold my breath.

They already asked him to step down but he refused.

Can they actually fire him?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Does any party shoot itself in the foot more than the Ontario PCs?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Ikantski posted:

I get that, I just don't see how it's worse than the Hydro one sale. A convenience highway leased for 1b vs 14b of province wide electrical infrastructure permanently sold? H1 sale is objectively worse.

Where did you get $1 billion from? As far as I can tell HW 407 cost $104 billion dollars and was leased for $3.1 billion dollars (for 99 years).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Apparently the vast majority of that was obtaining land rights. Construction was only $1.6 billion.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

That figure is, what, sourced to the PC government in the late 90s, referencing land purchases from the 1950s-1970s? I'd be skeptical of that figure unless I could see how it was calculated, I suspect it was inflated to make a point.

Yeah that was the source I found. I don't know why they'd make it look more expensive (wouldn't that make it look like even more of a ripoff?), but I find it difficult to understand the logic of "fiscal conservatives" at the best of times so maybe they did.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I would think it's pretty safe to assume the guy with all the guns in his car who called to turn himself in is the suspect.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

odiv posted:

Thank you. It would be nice if news outlets did the same.

I just have this horrible thought that loving infowars type idiots are going to concoct some conspiracy false-flag nonsense and he will be the lightning rod for their poo poo.

I'd be shocked if they haven't already

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Checking out the Freep thread I see that I'm correct and there's already a post there declaring it a false flag. Now that the only suspect is a white guy, "false flag" will become the official narrative in short order.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

David Corbett posted:

To be fair, there's a collection of people out there - of diverse political beliefs - who reject any information that does not agree with their preconceived metanarrative. It seems every terrorist out there has his own legion of apologists and deniers.

Yeah, false flag claims are the ultimate drug for these people. You take an event that by rights should go against your worldview and flip it around so that it actually reinforces it. Attacks by Muslim extremists totally happened, attacks by right wing extremists are all false flags and thus actually perpetrated by liberals (who are allied to those Muslim extremists). Goodbye cognitive dissonance!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Mulcair's attempts to "smile" during the debate really creeped me out

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Sure, Trudeau just pledged $650million to support reproductive rights, but the real story here is some dumb facebook post.