Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Cultural Imperial posted:

Look at this guy thinking mt pleasant is full of ~silicon valley types~

Who's living in all the new apartments along Main/Scotia north of Broadway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Food is a necessity. Societal factors make it such that unhealthy food is the cheapest and easiest to get. We have alternatives to curbing the amount of junk food people eat, such as school lunch programs that serve real, healthy food.That should be the priority. Not imposing a tax on the poor. There's no other way to curb cigarettes and drinking other than to say, "Don't do it!"

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

I agree! I think sin taxes are a horrible and regressive tax, and I don't think we ought to be expanding them or creating new ones. The problem, however, is that one category of sin taxes is already punitive and continues to grow pretty much every time a new budget comes down, while another remains conspicuously absent. I'm mainly just sick of the absurd double-standard. I'm going to make some delicious fried chicken right now (at least, I hope it's delicious). Counting the marinading and cleanup time involved, I think it will have taken me longer to prepare than a simple, healthy stirfry. I'm making it because it tastes good and I want fried chicken, not because it's easier or faster than the alternatives, just like if I have a beer later on, it's because I would like to have a beer, not because it's the optimal choice for hydration. I can admit these things. Further, I can acknowledge that my choice to have fried chicken and beer is not good for my health! But that's okay, because we live in a free society, and I take responsibility for my choice to eat fried chicken and drink beer.

I disagree with your assertion that there's no other way to discourage alcohol and tobacco use. Our public health campaigns on those issues have been very effective, and we should probably offer greater subsidies for addiction treatment programs and nicotine replacement programs. As it is, sin taxes on alcohol and tobacco often hit the most vulnerable in our society the hardest, but we put up with it because it's the only "acceptable" way to raise taxes. It's bullshit.

I agree with you as well. Sin taxes are not ideal. There are plenty of factors, thought, that make a sin tax on tobacco and alcohol more justifiable and easier to implement than a tax on junk food. Yes you can spend a lot of time making some delicious unhealthy meal, but a single mom might have to settle for cooking up another batch of KD for the kids.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

Yeah, you can go to Co-Op here in Calgary and get a whole roast chicken and a salad, ready to eat, for $10-12. That's enough for 3 people to have a reasonable meal, requires no preparation, and is reasonably nutritionally balanced. If you're single, it's leftovers for lunch the next day or two. A Big Mac costs $5 or so. We eat lovely food because it tastes good and is enjoyable to eat, it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

EDIT: I think I might have met that Quebec health minister. Or maybe it was the children and family minister. Either way, he was large as gently caress, and I met him briefly because we were both smoking cigars in the La Casa del Habano in Montreal. Complete hypocrisy, IMO. Not the way to run a government.

Yeah but can you drive through the coop??

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

No. Why?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

I took an Uber tonight just to spite my useless city government, and I have to say it was pretty great. Burn the taxi cartels to the ground in every city and town across this great country!

I work in the taxi industry and I agree it is hosed, but do you think Uber would maintain its standards if they successfully wiped out the taxi industry?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Femtosecond posted:

At some point I'm going to try out this new eCab thing as in Vancouver, without Uber or Lyft, this is the next best thing. Essentially it allows you to book cabs using your phone and have all the payment be handled automatically just like Uber, but it connects you with some nearby traditional cab. In Vancouver I believe all the cab companies are using it, so that ought to be a large pool.

I'm curious to see how good the experience will be, because it brings a great deal of the benefits of Uber without changing the existing system.

I've used it several times and it's alright. Got me some quick cabs on Halloween when the wait on the phone would have been really long.

A lot of drivers don't really understand how it works still but they're getting used to it. They can still reject your trip for whatever reason so you might end up waiting for awhile. It first finds the closest cab and then throws your trip into that company's system. Once your in a certain company's system your trip is stuck there. You do get to give immediate feedback through the app and it is actually getting acted on.

The biggest problem with cabs in Vancouver in my opinion is that they can pick and choose which jobs to take. They're all shareholders in their company so the consequences for being lovely are very minimal.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They know they have to change in order to quell public demand for Uber in Vancouver, but they only want to change as little as they have to.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

There's a lot of cab owners in Vancouver trying to sell right now while the price is still high. They probably think they can't keep Uber out forever.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Isn't he using "whore" to mean "fanatical supporter"? That would account for the lack of tone change.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I hope and suspect that in BC at least the current dispensaries will be grandfathered into whatever new distribution scheme they enact.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Ikantski posted:

Including. CBC says "Current numbers are 10k by the end of the year, 25k by Feb. 2016, and then 35k or more by end of 2016." 10k of the 35k are private sponsorships.

So instead of sponsoring 25k refugees in 2 months like he promised, his deadline slipped a little and he's sponsoring 25k refugees in 14 months. I can't believe the Trudeau Meter douchebags are giving him a hard time about this, he's still keeping at least half his promise, he never said poo poo about bringing any in 2016.

It's just listed as a broken promise. It technically is. They're not giving anyone a hard time about it.

TrudeauMetre posted:

It would appear we have our first broken promise... Given the circumstances, probably understandable:
https://www.trudeaumetre.ca/promise/5201

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Well, Ma, looks like the kids are unionizin'.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

It's a joke. Personally, I think every manner of booze and weed should be for sale at any establishment that cares to obtain the licenses and follow the laws, with no restrictions on location or other business that they may carry on. Lots of people disagreed with me here.

Edit: also, lol at the pot retailers who think they shouldn't be "pushed out of the business" (read: who think they deserve artificial protection from newcomers to the industry). loving hippies...

I think the concern is that the huge amount of existing semi-legal pot stores in town will suddenly be forced to close when BCL and Beer & Wine Stores get exclusive rights to sell legal weed. I'd hope they will all be grandfathered in under any new legal framework.

Edit: My ideal solution - The existing stores can operate as pot lounges (like a beer lounge at a brew pub), while the liquor stores will be strictly retail.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

PT6A posted:

Nice, I'll have to check that out when I'm in Montreal in June.

Supposedly the opening of the market in Calgary is going to encourage more companies to come here, but so far no one's actually done so (EDIT: The existing companies have dropped their prices across the board, though, which is cool and good). We should get this taxi company to set up shop, because they wouldn't even have to lease taxi licenses any more. Does the app handle payment as well? That's the one thing that's missing from all the taxi company apps in Calgary.

Checker Yellow and Mayfair will be getting in app payment soon.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

James Baud posted:

The NDP vote is inefficiently concentrated on the island and a few high density urban ridings so they'll lose again because environment vs jobs kills them elsewhere. Also the entire slate of MLAs have been invisible other than Eby. I honestly don't know how they've been so terrible. Sure, the legislature never sits, but you don't need it.

You could say the same thing about the liberals re: invisibility but I guess that isn't so bad when you're the incumbents.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

OSI bean dip posted:

The CoV offered extra licences for the holidays and the cab companies collectively rejected it.

Do you have a source for this? I've only seen the Vancouver Taxi Association fighting for more licenses.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The Beaverton is a great blog but a bad TV show. The actors just don't sell it right.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Is Charlie Angus the guy who quit twitter because he couldn't stop swearing on it?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Tsyni posted:

I saw some turtles in a park in Toronto. Turtles are the one redeeming thing that Ontario has going for it compared to BC. Lots of frogs and salamanders too.

There are turtles on Granville Island and Jericho Beach.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Just want to make sure you all know that people can use drugs and not be addicts right?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I haven't been to Don't Argue but was thinking about it. What did the owners do to incur your wrath?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Any of you crazies at the Jagmeet and Greet in Vancouver?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Try not to think about it.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Somebody mentioned earlier that Jagmeet is considered the frontrunner. In curious to know where that assumption comes from. He definitely has the most buzz online but I've learned to not always trust my Facebook bubble for the general opinion of things.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've historically liked their winter ale a lot but a few years ago I feel like they changed something and it got worse, no idea what or why

The brewmaster went to Whistler brewing I believe.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Singh did address how fashion has become important to him as a way of overcoming prejudice he faced as a turban wearing Sikh.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I had a headache today but I drank coconut water instead of taking Tylenol. Will I die?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Triple O's is better anywhere but the ferry. Go to the buffet and bask in luxury.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Love and Furrage

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Baronjutter posted:

I was at a zombie christmas themed improv show the other night and Emily Carr burst out of her grave and they had to destroy her while giving exposition to the americans in the audience that she was the area's most famous and celebrated artist but wasn't really that great so don't worry if you don't know who she is because she's over-rated. It got some serious cheers from the crowd.

In Victoria?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, a lot of people here love to rag on Emily Carr because they've grown up with every art and local history class never shutting the gently caress up about her and her drat monkey.

Ah cool. I know the company and glad to hear it went well.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

A cyclist vs. tent city dwellers. How will news commenters know who to be mad at?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Watch Gregor run for BC Liberal leader

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

DariusLikewise posted:

Jagmeet still has no position on the pipeline or bombing Syria or anything

Well there's this

http://www.ndp.ca/news/jagemeet-singh-reacts-airstrikes-syria

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The T stands for Tory!

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They get the benefits of the anti-Wynne and anti-Ford votes.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

The Butcher posted:

Nobody else got God Save the Queen before the anthem at their schools?

We had it before assemblies followed by the anthem.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Must be a "Sorry, not sorry" bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Does anyone know of any left leaning organizations who focus on messaging to immigrant communities? I'm interested to know if the effort is out there and what they are pushing.