Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

pictured: a "successful" "siege" of parliament

Huge missed opportunity to stomp some giant dongs out into the untouched snow here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

And in the further future...

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
In seriousness though, it's nice to see how small and pathetic our MAGA equivalent idiot people are.

In the states they can pack stadiums for this poo poo.

Also lol that this may have just been at least partially a grift operation.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

It was dead and then martine ouellette tried to revive it but she was sabotaged by the old crypto-federalist branch of the party and now its even more dead

In a world where no stone has been unturned, no new lands left to discover, I award you props for nearly making up a new term, dumb as it is.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

In a world where no stone has been unturned, no new lands left to discover, I award you props for nearly making up a new term, dumb as it is.

I hearby proclaim myself as originator of the term "crypto-anglo-federalist", which prior to this post, has no Google hits.

I didn't actually mean for those to be multiple posts so please forgive my bad forums etiquette.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

TheKingofSprings posted:

Changing the topic, what does Trudeau actually have under his cap outside of weed lovely ditch weed going into this election?

I realize it's first world problems and then some, but seriously. Why is this weed so lovely. I would have been disappointed with this poo poo in high school.

There are probably millions still flowing into the black/grey market due to this.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

Having a prime minister cowtowing

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Blood Boils posted:

:siren:Just in case some of you political junkies have some love left in your hateful hearts::siren:

Lowtax discussing SomethingAwful Money Problems

You can donate the usual way, or support the patreon, or buy some poster you think is really cool/stupid an AV that says "yo i'm cool/stupid as hell"

and also there is apparently a store where you can buy the worst looking t shirts but the other options are better imo

That's why they never shoulda pera'd CI. Coulda just kept banning him once a week or so whenever he couldn't restrain himself. Easy money.

For real though, support your forums and the Tax man, or were all gonna have to take the poli chat to r/canada.

*shudder*

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

DariusLikewise posted:

It's not just about giving each kid attention, it becomes impossible for an adult to keep control of a room of 30+ kids by themselves.

That's part of it, but some does come down to the individual attention for students as well.

Some kids can coast on by with minimal assistance, but some need a ton, and there's a spectrum between them.

The bigger the class gets, the thinner the teacher gets stretched between them all, and overall quality of education suffers for the kids who do need more attention.

On top of this, for the teachers, more kids = more marking at home, more calls to parents, more stress overall, etc.

Anyone who thinks a teacher's day ends at 3:00PM has no loving clue what the job actually entails.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Bingo.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Dreylad posted:

yeah, looks like we're gonna try to geo-engineer our way out of this.

Which is kinda cool in a way.

It would have been cooler not to gently caress up a perfectly functional biosphere that suited us perfectly, but you know.

If that ship really has sailed, obviously we need to keep up the carbon reduction efforts to not speed up the timetable, but large scale geo fuckery is probably the last option left.

Should be interesting to see what kind of proposals and science comes down the pipe as it's taken more seriously.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Salean posted:

Geo engineering is going to mean sea walls, and a shitload of guns to murder climate refugees

That's adaptation, not geo engineering.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

As much as I really do think we need to do infinitely more when it comes to becoming a green society, I start to glaze over when people start with the crazy "20 years and were dead" poo poo. Its the same talking points that we had 30 years ago.

Yeah I mean right there it's saying 3-5c for the arctic is already locked in after 30 years.

That's going to have major impacts on the whole planet, and a lot of people will die, but it's mostly going to be the very poorest people already living in marginally environmentally supportable places.

I'd expect for most Canadians, life will be much less comfortable and things will be a lot more hosed up in a lot of ways, but it's not a human extinction thing in any of our lifetimes no matter how bad it gets.

As was somewhat mentioned, worst case, the Musk's and Bezos' go live on glittering space stations, the rest of us live in caves. Humans ain't going nowhere. It's just going to loving suck.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Or maybe to put it another way, we aren't all going to die, but our quality of life will.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ug, man... loving poo poo about Chairmaster.

I do hope the guy pops up sometime in the future to say he's doing ok, but that really came off much more as a final gently caress you to the world than a cry for help.

Making the trip to Van, dumping his poo poo in the ocean, ugh. Yikes. Not good signs. He even said a few months back once he figured he could build the exit bag that for once he finally had a bit of inspiration for a "goal" to work towards for the first time in a long time.

That's some of the deepest and most chronic depression I've seen. Guy was just so deep in the hole for years and years that he couldn't even bring himself to see a therapist, even though he knew he needed it.

It's just poo poo. poo poo. If someone is super isolated and just lies to their family that they are doing fine, they can just keep spiraling deeper and deeper and the whole way you see the world becomes more and more hosed up. I don't know how you could even help someone once it gets that bad.

I dunno, not making a great post here. Hits too close to home even if just another internet stranger.

If there's any value to be had out of this, anyone unfamiliar with depression might want to check his E/N post history. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700701&userid=155013

4 years of the same thing, getting nowhere. Not able to ask for help. Too isolated for anyone to notice. Gets worse and worse. Check the last 2 pages, and you can see essentially when the switch flips. Maybe there's some value there to notice your friends, family, acquaintances, whatever doing to same. loving force treatment on them if you can. When you're in the hole, you don't even see reality properly anymore.

poo poo.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I don't think anyone should have any kind of treatment forced on them. I agree you can see the trend in his posting and he's clearly very depressed but taking away someone's freedom doesn't do anything.

In principle, I agree, but there really should be some point when someone is publicly saying "I've figured out how I want to kill myself and I'm going to do it soon" that we can yank them and force drugs and counseling on them for a bit.

There are many reasons we should be allowed to self terminate with dignity, but it has to be a completely sane and lucid decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Math You posted:

I love my wife for a lot of reasons but the most good she's probably done for me is to be incredibly social. I'd honestly have like zero friends that I see regularly if it weren't for her. She is absolutely not allowed to die before me. She'll be much better off without me than the other way around.

Man this is exactly my situation as well.

All my closest friends came from school when I was very young. They've all moved away now. When they visit or I visit them, it's great, the years don't seem to matter. But that's like once a year or so.

I don't think I've made a close friend since I was 16 or so. Lots of buddies, people to play sports with, hike and bike, people that I trust and like, but there's always a barrier. I'd never completely open up to them, or burden them with my inner problems, and vice versa. You just shoot the poo poo, talk shop, sort logistics, get drunk, whatever.

I'm not a particularly social person to begin with, and sometimes think I'd be happiest living in a tiny cabin in the mountains, but when I go a few days with limited social contact, I still start feeling lonely. I think except in very rare cases, it's more or less the same for all of us. Just wired that way. We need some degree of connection or we start getting sick, in one way or another. The internet doesn't really do it.

My wife is the one who usually organizes the dinners with friends and other social outings. Funny enough it's usually coordinated with other people's wives/partners. The dudes don't seem to arrange much on their own other than the outdoor activities stuff. If I didn't have her I'd probably do very little social stuff at all, and get weirder and weirder, eventually culminating in probably living in the forest and making occasional forays into the city to shoplift food.