Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

If you don't have door to door mail you need to move in from your bumfuck village or subsidy dependent suburbia you live in and start contributing to society. Door to door delivery is the reward you get for living a slightly less gross existence.

Since when do urbanites get door delivery? gently caress knows I never have, not in Calgary or in Montreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lassitude posted:

PT6A you must be stoked that your man Nenshi was declared the Best Mayor in the World:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-s-naheed-nenshi-named-top-mayor-in-the-world-1.2217700

So stoked that I'm pretty sure I mentioned it back when that article was written, on February 2nd.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't think Baird has an especial responsibility to advocate for gay rights, any more or less than any other politician does, regardless of his sexuality, which is obviously none of our business. All of our politicians have a responsibility to advocate for gay rights because it's an issue of equality and human rights, so I think it's fair to criticize Baird for anything he has done to actively work against that, but I don't think his personal sexuality has anything to do with that.

As for Nenshi, who was mentioned earlier in the discussion with regards to this issue, I think, if he's gay (and I personally think he probably is), it's too bad that he feels he should deny it. It's not his fault in the least that he feels that way, since there are a lot of social repercussions to being gay, unfortunately, and it's not his responsibility to be "out" if he doesn't want to be. It must be really difficult living your life and denying a significant portion of your personality, whatever it is, and I think we, as a society, should strive to create a world where people don't have to worry about accepting their sexuality or gender identity, whether they're in public life or not. I feel sorry for him if he feels he has to repress part of himself for the sake of politics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baudin posted:

Notable Alberta Budget info:
Biggest deficit in about twenty years
Raises taxes on booze and cigarettes (cheers, PT6A)
Borrowing not just for infrastructure, but also operations

I'm just getting started on reading this thing. Fun times await us all here in Alberta.

Another $5/carton, another 13% on cigars, and 5% across the board on alcohol. Dirty loving cunts, the lot of them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

It's not a regressive tax disproportionately targeting the poor if they're doing something morally wrong.

Neither smoking nor drinking, nor illegal drug use in fact, is morally wrong. They are all amoral.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

drat right. Eliminate corporate tax, massively increase personal income tax for those above the median.

Don't like it? Leave. The company that hired you is going to stay though, and will find someone else.

This is actually a pretty decent idea, in terms of a palatable way to raise taxes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

According to my Twitter feed, "Jussy" (yes, this is apparently a thing) wants to let in every refugee ever, at which point we will be overrun and all Christmas trees will be removed from public buildings.

gently caress this stupid country.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I bet they'll spend 10 million renovating and still tear it down because of literal cat piss smell.

I am now imagining Stephen Harper as a male version of the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons.

"Bet you can't throw a cat over the houses of parliament!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that like....pussy? Justin Pussy? Hussy? I'm so confused.

I don't know, all I know is I want the stupid (racist) rear end in a top hat who used it to incur a very painful, hopefully terminal, injury. (EDIT: In context, someone was accused of drinking "Jussy juice".... I don't know what that means)

It seems there are a lot of folk that are pissed off at Justin because he dares to be moderately attractive and not old.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baloogan posted:

What they are pissed off at is his superficiality.

How is he being superficial? He didn't campaign by going "vote for me, I'm dead sexy!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are good looking people automatically superficial or something? He's intelligent, well educated, thoughtful, charismatic, how is he superficial?

Yes, if you take care of your appearance and do exercise on a regular basis to avoid looking like a potato, it means you're a horrible superficial monster, bereft of even the meanest of intellectual gifts!

It's like morbidly obese people getting pissed off at normal-weight people and accusing them of being "skinny bitches" or whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I for one prefer my politicians to look like cans of smashed assholes left out in the sun for too long.

I mean, I get:

quote:

There was a total "this guy is young and attractive and I hate him" vote.

but I don't understand why. Are these guys so insecure that they're worried about their significant other fantasizing about JT while they put up with their 300 pounds of pallid flesh writing about on top of them, or what?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

Trudeau is only 3 years younger now than Harper was when he took office for the first time.

Yes, but no woman (or man) has ever been turned on by Harper, unless it's some sort of humiliation fetish to blame. Therefore, it did not offend sad sacks who look more like Harper than they do Trudeau.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sedge and Bee posted:

I might never forgive the Ontario NDP for the stupid strategic move-to-the-centre crap that gave Wynne the majority. Why can't the NDP just stay left like they're supposed to?

Early on I though Mulcair was just trying to hedge against any statements that might be spun negatively, but no, it was exactly the same type of balanced-budget neoliberal crap that failed the NDP in Ontario. And both times the Liberals ran on leftist rhetoric and won.

Maybe I'll just start voting communist. I'm gonna try and hope that Justin holds to at least some of his promises though.

I hope every disaffected NDP voter votes communist because then I have very little to worry about with regard to either of them becoming a viable political force.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Until we get MMP and then the flood gates release. :unsmigghh:

Exactly why I don't much care for MMP. I don't see why we can't have STV as it seems like the best compromise, and it very much limits the ability of lunatics to be in parliament. It's also very simple to understand if you aren't a complete moron.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well, the mechanics of STV behind the curtain can get a little complex, but if someone doesn't understand the concept of ranking people 1 to n based on order of preference, well, maybe democracy can do with a slightly lower turnout sometimes.

You could explain the mechanics to a child of 5, and I'm sure at least 80% of Canadian voters aren't meaningfully dumber than that.

EDIT: The other clear advantage of STV is that, when multiple candidates from the same party stand for election in the same riding, STV gives the best chance of the best possible representative representing that area in parliament. Even in a "safe" riding, candidates would be forced to convince electors that they are the best choice for that riding, even against members of their own party. This should eliminate the issue of massive cunts like Rob Anders being elected, because candidates would not be able to coast by on their party affiliation alone. MMP doesn't really address that problem, in fact it could exacerbate it in a nearest-loser system.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 30, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Quebec is a racist shithole of a province, and the various organs of the provincial government display disgusting racial bias? Why, I never!

I do think there's hope for our relationship with the First Nations, though. One of my acquaintances came back from a fishing trip on Vancouver Island this summer, and after being pretty goddamn racist his entire life, he's talking about his Indian buddies he met out there (and, to quote, "I never thought I'd say that!"). I could easily say that it's not really enough, and I'd be right, but I think it actually represents a turning point when even people with significant racist tendencies can come to view First Nations people as being, essentially, the same often-flawed human beings as the rest of us. Unfortunately, we still have a lot further to go, but I think the signs are more encouraging than they are discouraging at this point. As with anything, I think simply having a personal relationship with the "out-group" does a lot to help relations. Whether it's First Nations people or Syrians, or whatever, the best defence against hatred is personal relationships.

EDIT: gently caress me, sentences end with periods, not line breaks. That strange wall of text breaks my brain.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BGrifter posted:

So who will be the Trudeau version of Ikantski when Trudeau goes Full Wynne?

Me, possibly. I've already had a good profanity-laden rant at the ANDP's duplicity, just after I started to trust them, and now I'm nervous that JT might try to pull some of the same poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Montreal isn't so bad.

Sometimes.

Yes it is. It's only helped by the fact that there are many minorities there who are very pleasant and help each other out, because there's not much of an alternative. If you removed all the people who would be victims of racism elsewhere in Quebec, Montreal would be just the same as the rest.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Wow Calgary now has uber? And Vancouver just voted to keep banning it?

Calgary "bans" it too, but it's still here. Apparently the drivers risk being fined by Bylaw Services.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BallsFalls posted:

Next election I will vote for whatever party includes shooting ezra levant into the sun as a campaign promise

Me too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh my god.

The Senate Liberal Caucus is threatening to withhold support for legislation unless JT agrees to name one of them Government Senate Leader and put them in Cabinet.

He should call their bluff. If they obstruct too much, they'll be lynched in the streets. It's not like the Canadian people are overly fond of senators to begin with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Heavy neutrino posted:

The Honorable Senators should like to Honorably go fill each other's Honorable back chambers, in my view.,

I think most of them already are, at least if they're following the British aristocratic tradition.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just heard in the pub: "didn't they discover insulin to help fight polio."

Burn this fucker to the ground...

Everyone's well concerned about global warming, but does anyone stop to think that the annihilation of our species could be for the best?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 31, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

One of the reasons I hate the prairies so much is because they loving love cfl so much. gently caress each and every one of you

No one except Saskatchewan gives the faintest gently caress about CFL, just so you know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ikantski posted:

It's not often that you see an entire post that is wrong but here we are. The dividends don't make a huge difference, here's an example. Yeah, they can dividend out to family members but so can any small corporation and you still need to pay corp tax on that at a minimum. I don't think it's the huge tax loophole you're making it out to be.

gently caress me, it's so close that it's almost like someone planned it to work out that way! :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

If voting reform ends up being put to a referendum the CPC will run a year worth of the most blatant race baiting fear mongering ads Canada has ever seen.

"Voting for election reform is a vote to encourage Natives to be lazier, blacks to be more thieving and Muslims to join ISIS. Do the right thing, do the white thing, keep first past the post."

Presumably it would be as stunningly successful as it was during the election, which is to say not at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lassitude posted:

There seems to be a broad consensus that proportional representation has more pros than cons compared to FPTP. In this case it isn't a lovely choice either way, because there's a right answer. In this case, the most expeditious route to the objectively superior option is the right choice.

Yes, but there are some proportional systems which have clear advantages over other proportional systems, and we ought to get it right the first time so we don't have to gently caress around with this ever again. STV or bust!

It would be supremely ironic if FPTP won against a selection of other systems because of a FPTP referendum on this issue.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whiskey Sours posted:

Party lists can be created after the election, from the top runners-up in every riding. For example, if a riding result was 46/45/9 for LPC/CPC/NDP, the LPC candidate would win, and the CPC candidate would go near the top of the list for proportional seats.

Doesn't this have the potential to create massive disparities where highly contested regions are better represented than strongly partisan areas? It seems like my idiot province, owing to its idiot voters, would see nearly no progressive representation from a best-loser MMP system. The conservatives win in landslides, whereas Liberals and NDP win in dogfights; a best-loser system would see much stronger conservative representation for Alberta I would think. Our progressive votes would go to send a bunch of easterners to parliament to represent us.

I say again: STV or bust!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Because we have regional representation mandates in the constitution and in legislation, any MMP system would almost certainly have to be proportional by province, not proportional country-wide.

Alberta NDP votes would go towards electing Alberta NDs, counting the best losers in Alberta. That would mean that Calgary NDP voters would likely end up being represented by Edmontonians, though.

Well, that's actually quite an elegant solution! I wish I had a better argument against it, just out of principle, but I think a regionally restricted MMP would solve a lot of the problems I see with MMP in general.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

InfiniteZero posted:

I recently sat in a public meeting where an audience member grilled the presenter over the fact that "saying 400/500 is 80% seems a bit high". Good luck explaining a complicated electoral system to that vocal member of the public.

Did you subsequently beat the aforementioned moron to death with their own limbs for the benefit of humanity? Because you probably ought to have done.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

It's crazy that Harper, a guy with no personality or likability, has a cult of personality within the Conservatives. It still blows my mind that anyone, even his cronies, think that the guy should have been even more front and center in his campaign when all he has is being a power-hungry android

He has a personality and is likeable to some people. Those people don't post in this thread, though.

EDIT: To expand on this a little, he's basically an olrder-middle-aged white guy that looks like a businessman with a very even demeanour. That's what some people, mostly older white people, are looking for. When I was discussing the election with my Dad, he pretty much said he couldn't take Trudeau seriously because he "looked like a kid." Then he basically said that pretty much everyone does at this point, and that getting old is really weird and sucky, so at least he had some degree of self-awareness, but to get back to the original point: Harper has an image that's crafted to appeal to a very specific demographic, and it's a demographic that votes reliably and can afford to shoot money his way.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 3, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, he didn't scare men by being attractive enough that they became irrationally afraid their wives wanted to gently caress him. Which, beyond all reason, actually seemed to be an issue with Trudeau.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Amgard posted:

Given I was 17 and not a Prime minister or even employed, it seems superfluous tbh

Maybe he's a molestor! A chiiiilld molestor!!!

EDIT: To paraphrase an amazing example of CanCon, of course.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mahler posted:

I worked in a movie theater that Harper went to once every couple weeks (he ordered hot dogs). Once I peed in the urinal next to his. That is my Stephen Harper story.

Next to his?! Please clarify why urinal etiquette was violated, and by whom.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's amazing the length Conservatives will go to to lie to themselves about how terrible their policies are. Our economy has been ravaged for decades, and yet somehow they still believe they were good with it and that it was a selling point for them.

They were loving terrible at every level of the economy. The economy is not a selling point for the Conservatives.

The fact is that, no thanks to their policies, Canada weathered the 2008 crisis decently if you measure it by how many CPC voters fared. I don't for a second believe Trudeau would've done worse, and I think in an alternate reality where he were PM, he may well have done better, but I can't say that the CPC were "loving terrible" either. Refusing to acknowledge that is one significant step toward handing the CPC another victory.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorau posted:

I can only hope the Harper household receives the long form census next year.

Indeed. The restoration of the long-form census is important and good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

"Merit" just means "you need to provide a VERY GOOD REASON to hire/appoint someone other than the default white dude".

In practice, you're correct, but in theory it shouldn't be an issue. My riding voted out a woman and replaced her with a man, and gender had nothing to do with it. One was clearly a better choice than the other. I didn't dislike Joan Crockett because she was a woman, I disliked her because she was unpleasant, never tried to campaign properly, was affiliated with a horrible party, and held terrible opinions. While I would like more women and minorities to be in the House of Commons to better reflect the makeup of the population, I'm very happy that the one particular woman who used to be my MP is no longer my MP.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think elected officials should get parental leave (and MPs don't, as far as I understood it). On-site child care is a good and reasonable thing to have.

e: also from that article:

I don't see why elected representatives shouldn't get parental leave. The replacement should be decided by a temporary by-election, instead of by the party or the MLA, but apart from that I don't have a problem with MLAs getting parental leave. It should be everyone's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I don't think that an elected official should be able to go 'well a thing happened and now I can't work for a year, toodles' for any reason and get to keep their position. Do a byelection.

I think there should be an option to have someone elected in a by-election to take over only during the leave period. Or, as is happening, figuring out a way for the employee in question to continue performing their duties while providing additional time off or childcare. It seems like most of the arguments against it are related to "well, it's a good, highly paid position, so gently caress it!" and I think we should do better than that as a society. Dealing with parental leave is a pain in the rear end for any organisation, but we mandate it because it ought to be the right of an employee to take it if they wish.