Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It is to laugh.

These people are literally trying to be the "paid protesters" they accuse the Left of employing. gently caress me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Tbqh we could probably use better border security just to limit the amount of illegal firearms that can be smuggled from the States.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

There's probably a modifier on this that makes it make a bit more sense like "vice" or maybe the idea that corporations will pass taxes onto the customers, but if we're talking income tax, we have tax brackets for a reason.

If taxes disproportionally hurt the poor, its because the rich aren't paying their share. Don't blame the taxes, blame the rich & the loopholes.

Or maybe, just throwing this out there, xtal is a crazy person.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Homeopathy should be done away with. I suggest charging all homeopaths with attempting to practice medicine without a license. And if they kill someone, like that stupid gently caress who let his kid die from meningitis or whatever, then murder.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

In practice though, how different would it be in terms of legislation passed from a proportional system? Sure, in PR your favoured party has seats in parliament, but it's overwhelmingly likely it's going to be a minority government where they need to be collaborating with centrist parties to get anything done.

There was a RadioLab episode on the Irish system and it seemed interesting - it's ranked choice but with multiple members per riding - I'd imagine you get something closer to proportionality if multiple members can be elected in a ranked system.

Even if deals will still have to be struck with centrists to get anything done, it's better for that deal-making to happen semi-publicly rather than behind closed doors internal to the party itself.

Ireland appears to use single transferrable vote, and while I like the system overall, it does have some problems in the Canadian context and it would have to be adapted to suit Canada better. Consider that, with multiple members per riding, ridings would necessarily have to increase in size. With the extremely low population density and huge ridings we already have in the north, this could conceivably lead to certain areas having virtually no guaranteed representation at all. It would almost certainly, therefore, have to be balanced with a certain number of guaranteed seats for northern and remote ridings to ensure semi-local representation for ridings in the north.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My god, just look at the hue they chose! What do they mean by it??? Clearly a conspiracy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Entropic posted:

I mean, I kind of want the NDP to have to find a new leader but I don't know who they'd even pick that would be good at this point.

Well there's a pretty good option who's probably going to be out of a job in Alberta shortly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

:cawg:

If you have no kids, you shouldn't have any problems with your finances whatsoever. None

I for one am glad to hear that we've solved the problem of poverty for everyone except people who have children.

I mean, I don't believe for a moment it's actually true, but it's a nice thought at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PR keeps being unpopular because it's sold in a very lovely way. The concept of having fringe beliefs represented in parliament is an inherently unpleasant one to most people, so trying to sell PR on that basis is doomed to failure. The explanation that finally changed my mind is "these wackos, by and large, already exist within the major parties; PR would force the deal-making to be done openly and with reasonable transparency instead of internal to the parties.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm going to say that the NAMBLA comparison is in fact valid, because both Nazis and pedophiles should be criminalized and made to gently caress off and die.

Even as someone who has pretty civil-libertarian views on freedom of speech, I think we can draw the line for acceptable vs. unacceptable speech in such a way that kiddie fuckers and white supremacist hatemongers are both on the wrong side of it, and then we don't have to have stupid debates like "well are pedophiles worse than Nazis?" because it's a completely useless question.

First they came for the pedophiles, and I said nothing because I don't gently caress children. Then they came for the Nazis, and I said nothing because I'm not a goddamn Nazi. And then it turns out society was improved considerably.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's a stupid criticism, I've been to Vulcan, and making it a little less of a boring shithole by spending money on stupid Star Trek references is honestly the most ideal use I can think of for a few thousand dollars.

There's nothing else there.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, four grand for publicity and even the possibility of increased tourism dollars is money well spent.

I mean, I don't envy the people that see it and say "hey let's go to that cool Star Trek place" and then find themselves in Vulcan, AB, but yeah.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Imagine a group of people who think they're so unbelievably great that the only thing that could ever stop them from being titans of industry is government regulation, and indeed take their lack of success as bulletproof evidence that there are too many regulations, and you have the CFIB.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Danaru posted:

It's great in Nova Scotia because we have both massive doctor shortage and a really old population :cripes: that means the ERs are constantly full of boomers with no family doctor (because there are pretty much no family doctors) and are constantly complaining about how long it takes, but they keep loving voting in McNiel who keeps trying to destroy the health care system god dammit

I like when this presents itself, usually but not always in rural areas, with a healthy dose of racism. Boy, that sure is the best.

They want doctors, but only white ones, and they also don't want to pay them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah there is that. Maybe just a symptom of the much younger urban west.

Obviously the sexists and racists don't have serious enough issues. When I need a doctor, I don't give a poo poo about gently caress all besides whether they're competent to practice medicine.

Danaru posted:

Stay home and die if you can't bear seeing a brown doctor, and give your spot to someone who doesn't suck

This, but also for female doctors.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I've thought about this issue a bit and I think the reason they're so wedded to oil industry jobs above renewable energy jobs is the latter typically, I believe, requires that you not be a coked-out high school dropout.

Honestly, it seems like if they spent half the time and effort they put into trying to help the oil industry into anything else we could have a cleaner, diversified economy, and I'm a pretty big oil industry booster by the standards of this thread.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I pray that conservatism in Alberta will reach such an advanced level of stupidity, scarcely even believed possible in previous times, that they will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and deliver Rachel Notley another term.

I mean, that's still pretty optimistic, but I certainly don't see any evidence that the conservative movement couldn't end up being that stupid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think one of the problems with class size debates is that large classes don't affect everyone equally. I never had a problem with being in a large class, either in high school or university, because I was pretty good at just doing my own thing and figuring poo poo out for myself. I neither wanted nor needed a bunch of attention from the teacher. The thing is, though: that doesn't work for everyone, and it's not due to some intrinsic failing on their part. Some students need more attention, some students need less attention, some students need different instructional approaches, and the only way to facilitate any of that consistently is by ensuring class sizes are small.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think we should get rid of the homeless, by giving them homes, instead of spending horrendous amounts of money on services for the homeless that are still minimally effective because it's no-poo poo incredibly difficult to function in society with no fixed address and no place to live.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On the plus side, if a bunch of forces beyond my control are going to destroy the world in two or three decades anyway I feel much less bad about smoking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Carbon capture can be useful in industries where there is presently no viable alternative at any cost, though.

Consider air travel: we can't, at this point, do it without carbon-based fuels on any kind of useful scale. Carbon-neutral ain't perfect, but it's a massive loving improvement, and as good as we're likely to get at this point.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think we have to address two issues simultaneously: first, guns are bad and we should endeavour to remove them as completely as practicable from our society. Second, regardless of whether you want to talk about specific types of guns and their respective dangers, too loving much of our gun violence in the developed world is based around random bullshit, terroristic massacres, and other things that point to a profound sickness in our society, and that isn't solved simply by getting rid of guns, although getting rid of guns would be a good first step in terms of limiting the damage.

I was in Guadalajara last week, and I actually happened to see a guy get shot perhaps 40 feet away from where I was standing. It was shocking. But at the same time, pretty much everyone there told me "calm down, it didn't happen to you, it wouldn't have happened to you, and it's not going to happen to you in the future." And sure enough it was some existing dispute between two bad dudes who had already threatened to kill each other, and one of them was successful. That freaks me out less than getting pushed onto the C-Train tracks by some random meth-head or getting shot because you spilled some random guy's drink in a bar, or getting shot because some loving worthless incel can't get his dick wet and is out to kill people as a result.

These acts, as well as mass shootings in the US, and terroristic attacks against mosques in Quebec and now NZ, are not about using violence as a tool to solve a problem (completely unacceptable, but at least slightly understandable), they are about making people suffer over a perceived slight or absolutely no slight at all.

We need to address the gun problem, no question, but we also need to start taking a hard look at what makes such a large percentage of the violence in our society so random and pointless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saying we should solve our social issues by making our society a good place to live in is stupid. Making society a good place to live in is going to necessarily involve greasy fuckin incels not getting laid, it's going to involve immigration, it's going to involve demanding that people put the interests of society ahead of their own whims, and that's going to generate the kind of anger that causes these fuckin pin-dicked assholes to go on shooting sprees or whatever.

How the gently caress do you integrate these broken-rear end trashmen into a functioning society?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

The violence isn't random.

Yes and no. Even though it's clearly targeted towards Muslims, it's not targeted toward any one person specifically. That's a way more hosed up category of violence, in my opinion, than "hey, this guy purposefully did X to me, I'm pissed off and I'm gonna shoot him." Both are bad, obviously, but the ability to be brought to murderous anger against someone when they haven't even done anything significant to you scares me way, way more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

This is... good?

It's like the time conservatives in the US tried to frighten people with the spectre of "taco trucks on every corner."

"BE CAREFUL, IF YOU DON'T VOTE FOR US, EXTREMELY GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!" is frankly not what I expect would be a winning strategy, but people are dumb.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This kind of thing makes me more and more aware how far the gulf in our culture has grown. Like this isn't even a disagreement about the best way to solve problems that both sides acknowledge. This is both sides having sets of values so completely different to each other that they don't even agree on what the problems are. It's kind of scary knowing there are people around that see "immigration" as a problem that needs to be "solved" rather than like, a thing that (at worst) exists and in my more personal viewpoint is a net positive to society, and the most we should be arguing about are implementation issues.

The frustrating thing, which you touch on in your last sentence, is that there are issues that need to be solved with regard to immigration, and we can't to the business of solving them because we have a bunch of loud assholes worried about seeing brown people and hearing different languages being spoken. For example, we can reasonably ask: how do we most effectively provide support for students who speak English or French as a second language to assure they're reaching their full potential and won't end up educationally and/or economically disadvantaged? But, no, we have a bunch of gammons yelling about "SPEAK ENGLISH DAMNIT!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

There are Alberta Liberals?

Yes! I estimate their total membership, staff and base of support to easily number in the tens of people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I for one am shocked that Jason Kenney is being a miserable fat jackass doing hateful, stupid things. I mean what in his history would possibly prepare us for that? :v:

And yet that Fildebrandt character is even crazier and worse. What the hell is wrong with this province?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mod edit: my dude this is an exceedingly bad post

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

edit: really don't suggest pushing this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EDIT: Well, I guess I got my answer. Nothing to see here folks.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 19, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EDIT: Nevermind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Don't be a prick, I edited it out because I regretted it, and I sent Helsing a PM about some of the reasons I've said what I've said. It has been suggested to me that I not share them any further here which is why I've not gone any further into it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The last Amber Alert in Alberta was fine, my phone buzzed once for the initial alert, once for the update, and then when it was cancelled. I made a note of the plate and make/colour of the car in case I saw it. It was not an imposition on my life in any way.

Also I wish all of you would stop being so negative about anything. It's not healthy, and honestly it's infectious. I felt like poo poo all yesterday, and I posted some inappropriate things as a result, but after sleeping on it and going to work and having a good day, I feel much better. Whatever CM said and whatever CM did, it was a product of profound illness and it's neither useful nor healthy for me to get angry about it. I hope the guy is alright and somehow manages to get back on his rocker.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think social isolation is a huge problem, but I disagree with the idea that poverty is a causal factor. It's happening to people across the socioeconomic spectrum, and while poverty exacerbates the negative effects without question, we need only look at other societies where poverty exists in far greater magnitudes but the social isolation does not, to realize that the problem with social isolation goes beyond simple economic insecurity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

This is the kind of statement that is very hard to read charitably. The best I can say is that I feel like you probably haven't ever lived in poverty and haven't had any close friends or family members who struggled financially for an extended period of time. Though quite frankly even without those experiences you should be able to recognize the causal links based on very basic knowledge of how our society works and a bit of common sense. Honestly, how clearly do you need it spelled out for you that poverty is a causal factor in social isolation? I would ask what mental leaps you're conducting to reach this conclusion but I don't actually care.

Anyway, if common sense or empathy aren't enough then I guess I would just say you should take some time on google to familiarize yourself with the empirical literature showing the well established link between lack of financial resources and social isolation in Canada specifically. Because contrary to what you suggest here, self reported feelings of isolation and loneliness are not evenly distributed across social classes in Canada, and are instead correlated with other factors like, surprise surprise, poverty.

Man, I’m working in an industry where we spend massively for qualifications and then get paid like poo poo, and on a weather-dependent basis at that. A $1500 paycheque is an amazing thing, and it requires uncommon luck and a shitton of long days. Most of my coworkers who don’t have other jobs are struggling, but somehow we all manage to have a social life, and hang out, and vent, and carry on. Poverty absolutely affects and exacerbates other issues, hence the correlation you describe, but it’s not causing it.

poo poo, even drug-addicted rough sleepers have friends and a social life. There are non-economic factors in our society that are causing isolation, and it’s important that we work to fix those at the same time we fix the economic issues or we won’t solve the problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fine, have it your way. I’m not going to continue wasting my limited and precious time on Earth continuing to engage with this den of negativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah I’m a oval office and probably responsible for the collapse of western civilization, gently caress me right?