Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also valid

furthermore: swears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
i have no idea how anyone played legend of heroes game without speedup option.

like regular battles would take like 5 minutes because spellcasting animation takes so long you think it was a FF8 summon

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

like regular battles would take like 5 minutes because spellcasting animation takes so long you think it was a FF8 summon

I think I did Sky FC/SC by just watching TV in the background and pausing when I got to actual gameplay I couldn’t mash through or when there was dialogue to read. Looking at Zero/Azure I don’t know how I had the patience though, the basic attack animations alone are bafflingly drawn out/slow for something you’ll do thousands of times, let alone arts/crafts.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cuz lots of 3D RPGs released in the early 2000s were so much worse with basic attacks lasting a full minute. And experimental gameplay stuff like Legend of Dragon and Shadow Hearts opting for mechanics that slow down battles immensely and demand focus at every second despite being ostensibly turn based.

Tech got so much better so fast devs had no clue what they were doing early in the 2000s basically.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

GateOfD posted:

Because the time you're spending running around talking to everyone far outweighs the amount of time you spend in combat looking at animations. When I first played FC, I didn't do that, and missed a solid amount of NPC content.

But I also spent far less time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
walking also took forever.
took as long to walk one side of town in azure to the other as if your actually walking irl from one end of a mall to the next on regular speed

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Just finished CS4 and I have a few questions. But I'm sure they'll be answered or have been already answered in the upcoming games.

What's the general consensus on Reverie? Do they still do that thing where Rean doesn't have voicelines when other people are voiced?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

poe meater posted:

Just finished CS4 and I have a few questions. But I'm sure they'll be answered or have been already answered in the upcoming games.

What's the general consensus on Reverie? Do they still do that thing where Rean doesn't have voicelines when other people are voiced?

Lol yes

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Does it? It does do the thing where whenever a new character is introduced only that character gets voice lines for a bit (which the English version improves by filling the lines in-between the first and last voiced line of that character), but I don't remember any scenes where Rean in particular is mute while everyone else has lines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does it? It does do the thing where whenever a new character is introduced only that character gets voice lines for a bit (which the English version improves by filling the lines in-between the first and last voiced line of that character), but I don't remember any scenes where Rean in particular is mute while everyone else has lines.

It may depend on the version you play, to my understanding they added more voice lines to the English dub for at least the earlier CS games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

It may depend on the version you play, to my understanding they added more voice lines to the English dub for at least the earlier CS games.

As far as I am aware the distinction is "XSEED filled in a lot of those gaps, NIS hasn't done poo poo".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They did for Reverie and chances are good they're doing it for Daybreak as well

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NISA sent my an email today saying there's a PS5 Deluxe Edition for CS3/4. While I am a giant mark for their special bundles, has anyone actually tried their PS5 versions of the game? My impression from web searching is that it's just the PS4 version with all DLC and better load times, which makes the the cloth map of Erebonia not really worth tripping myself over the price.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

claw game handjob posted:

As far as I am aware the distinction is "XSEED filled in a lot of those gaps, NIS hasn't done poo poo".

To be fair XSEED literally couldn’t fill in the gaps in the original Vita/PS3 releases because the programming didn’t let them voice anything that wasn’t already voiced in the original, so maybe CS3/4 had the same jank.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

For Reverie specifically, I do recall noticing that the voice acting felt like it was distributed much better than in previous games. Scenes may go silent earlier than you'd like, but I'm fairly confident that most, if not all, of the important/emotional scenes have full voicing for the most important/emotional parts, as opposed to scenes in earlier games where you'd have some characters voiced and some not across the same scene.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
Maybe some of the daydreams and the mini-games aren’t voices, but all the main event stuff seemed pretty fully voiced to me

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.
After beating Reverie last month I decided to play through Daybreak with the English fan translation thats been floating around and I think I might like it even more than the Sky trilogy. It feels like Falcom really knocked it out of the park with this game, especially the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Jf6xc8oYM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

XSEED's having a big Steam sale this week. All of their Falcom titles are discounted--every Ys before VIII, the Trails in the Sky trilogy, Cold Steel I and II, Zwei I and II, and Xanadu Next.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 21, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Joyboy posted:

After beating Reverie last month I decided to play through Daybreak with the English fan translation thats been floating around and I think I might like it even more than the Sky trilogy. It feels like Falcom really knocked it out of the park with this game, especially the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Jf6xc8oYM

This is how I felt about it throughout the entire game. Basically a perfectly blissful Trails game experience the whole way through. After finishing it it's my uncontested favorite game in the series, without question. Which is why it's a big bummer that apparently it didn't do that well and it seems that we're never getting a "full" sequel (though at least Van will apparently still be the "main" protagonist of the third one, from what I understand). But I'm still happy we at least got the one great game. It just would have been super nice to get another game with the same group of characters where you explore the other parts of Calvard.

This is my favorite track (everything by this same guy - Shuntaro Koguchi - seems really good; he's also apparently the one who did the track you linked) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJhzZNSCnBk Koguchi seems very good at "vibes" in general.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

what a bleak ending Cold Steel 3 has, holy poo poo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hansuke21/status/1765016821265027222

That's my birthday!!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

frajaq posted:

what a bleak ending Cold Steel 3 has, holy poo poo

Definitely a faint whiff of "oh we only do bittersweet endings, huh? well gently caress you" to it, yeah.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

this year is really a great year for jrpgs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's FF7Rebirth, this, and what else? Not correcting you just feel I've been out of the loop recently.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

There's FF7Rebirth, this, and what else? Not correcting you just feel I've been out of the loop recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wavXUqxDgn8

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wait isn't that close to SMT 5: V, fuuuuuck

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

And Yakuza/Like a Dragon 8/Infinite Wealth.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

Tesseraction posted:

the new Yazuka (Like a Dragon) game that still has the jrpg style battle mechanics
Unicorn Overlord in a week made by the same studio as Odinsphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown

remasters but Persona 3 Reload came out
not really jrpg, but Dragons loving Dogma II coming soon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tesseraction posted:

Ys X

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Cool I have exactly 4 months to get through Cold Steel 1 through 4 and Reverie

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unicorn overlord this week

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Released/Releasing this year:

LaD: Infinite Wealth
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Shiren the Wanderer 6
Unicorn Overlord
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin
Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes
SaGa: Emerald Beyond
Daybreak
Shin Megami Tensei Vengence
Erdtree DLC
Fantasy Life: The Girl who Steals Time

GateOfD posted:

the new Yazuka (Like a Dragon) game that still has the jrpg style battle mechanics
Unicorn Overlord in a week made by the same studio as Odinsphere, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown

remasters but Persona 3 Reload came out
not really jrpg, but Dragons loving Dogma II coming soon

Reload is a full remake, not a remaster.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks for the answers all, and wow this is quite a list.

ImpAtom posted:

Released/Releasing this year:

LaD: Infinite Wealth
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Shiren the Wanderer 6
Unicorn Overlord
Dragon's Dogma 2
Rise of the Ronin
Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes
SaGa: Emerald Beyond
Daybreak
Shin Megami Tensei Vengence
Erdtree DLC
Fantasy Life: The Girl who Steals Time

Good thing I'm not old/dying and have plenty of time to *checks work schedule* aw gently caress.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Thanks for the answers all, and wow this is quite a list.

Good thing I'm not old/dying and have plenty of time to *checks work schedule* aw gently caress.

:same: :smith:

I'm at Act 4 of Reverie but work and being social set me back from making decent progress

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Metaphor Re:Fantazio drops in the fall right?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
It's always weird to me to see games like Rise of the Ronin (or Monster Hunter, or Dark Souls) get lumped in the JRPG category, but I guess technically the only qualifications are "made in Japan" and "number go up".

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*

SgtSteel91 posted:

:same: :smith:

I'm at Act 4 of Reverie but work and being social set me back from making decent progress

i flew thru Trails from Zero/Azure pretty quick for me.

but i took like a bit over a month to finish Reverie because I could only scrape at it like 1-2 hours a day on it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thoom posted:

It's always weird to me to see games like Rise of the Ronin (or Monster Hunter, or Dark Souls) get lumped in the JRPG category, but I guess technically the only qualifications are "made in Japan" and "number go up".

people are crazy

just because Dark Souls is anime doesn't make it a JRPG

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Thoom posted:

Agreed, since massive story focus is the main definition. Monster hunter recently very directly said it's games we're not RPGs till Stories though so I can style on those guys next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless you're going to claim that FF7 Rebirth or Ys don't count as JRPGs you're going to have to accept that JRPG doesn't just mean 'turn based.'