Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The best one is when you poo poo all over a pair of them and tell them you don't even need everyone you brought along in order to defeat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

This is just an RPG ThingTM, Trails just so happens to be one of very few RPGs where the characters being fighters is treated as a narrative thing too, instead of just gameplay where sword mcsword guy #87 with no documented feats whatsoever, a child with a yoyo or something, a magical waif that has never used magic in a cutscene, and Grandpa past his prime but was once a general or something, beat the guy who has absorbed the concentrated essence of the world and approached a higher level of existence with absolutely no explanation whatsoever other than "You won a boss fight".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Linear power scaling is a huge drag, and I, for one, blame Akira Toriyama.

Please, fiction writers, I beg of you. Don't use linear power scaling.

You blame the guy that literally goes against linear power scaling when it was introduced in the plot...?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tae posted:

You blame the guy that literally goes against linear power scaling when it was introduced in the plot...?

I have great sympathy for how he suffers. He knows what has happened.

EDIT
Like Pandora, you know?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 30, 2024

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished Trails to Azure; I had a lot of fun with the story in Chapter 4 and the first part of the Final Chapter for sure. Gameplay-wise, I eventually just went the Lloyd evasion-tank route because some of the boss encounters were annoying as all gently caress and honestly it started seeming like a lot of them were balanced purely around Tio's Zero Field when they start throwing out field-wide instakill S-Crafts (also gently caress that final dungeon and boss, holy poo poo). The Turbo Button did a lot of heavy lifting for me with the Trails games so far and I will be very sad if it's gone from Cold Steel (unless Cold Steel is just faster in general).

The ending.. I didn't hate it but man I don't know how to feel about some of it. This game was pretty much my realization point that this just ain't the kind of series where people die all that much. I'm cool with that, but there were a few points that kinda stretched belief for me, such as when Baelz told the SSS that despite the white giant robot atomizing a good chunk of the Erebonian border fortress, no one died because KeA was still subconsciously considerate. I don't know how they found this out or why they would even believe a causality report from loving Erebonia at this stage, but... okay game.

I was spoiled on the Dieter twist ahead of time but seeing it actually unfold in Chapter 4 was a treat. And given how much of a mess the Empire and the Republic were, I could totally understand why he would brute force independence like this. The twist on Bell was one I didn't see coming but really should have, but I was cool with that too. Arios killing Guy? I was figuring the game would go that route but was still surprised when they revealed it. But Grimwood really being behind everything including the death of Guy didn't land with me at all. Plus, one medium Lloyd Speech gets Grimwood to drop a half-decade of scheming. Bell being like "ah shucks, you completely foiled my plans. anyway see ya, joining the society and I also missed all of Grimwood's vital areas" was so strange to me. Like, I feel like she probably should have cared a little bit more about the SSS ruining her masterplan.

The Orlandos and Wald didn't really do it for me towards the end either. I get that they wanted to replicate what happened in SC with Ouroboros fighting you one by one but I feel less miffed about that because the society was weird and explicitly let at least two of them work out their personal vendettas (Luciola and Walter) and they were very much stalling for time to let Weismann do his evil plans. Here it didn't even really seem like they cared that much about really stopping the team and just wanted to do their decided 1v1s as they sit in their respective magic dimensions.

I can definitely understand the "good job on beating me, but i haven't even used a fraction of my true power" memes now. It wasn't all bad at first because Sigmund and Arianrhod did admit that the party caught them off guard, but I laughed out loud at Arios just doing "nothing personnel kid" and just wiping the party after his first fight.

The last thing is that lmao @ at the game just casually text dumping Erebonia imploding with the Chancellor's death, and then doing it again in the ending with "the chancellor got better and owned the nobles and invaded crossbell"

I want to go straight into Cold Steel but I kind want to give it a break because I feel like these games are probably where the threat of burnout is going to come in. Plus I know that CS1 has one hell of a cliffhanger and I already know how that will go down after FC's ending. Probably just going to take time to go through all of the JRPGs coming this month and last and get to Cold Steel in a few months from now.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 6, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cold Steel 1 does at least change the setting enough to me that you could move on to it. But you're right, if you left Azure feeling cold then take some time playing something else.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wrt Azure, just my thoughts:
- i think at least with Wald it’s kind of the point that he was just there for his fight with Wazy and not really invested, it’s probably true that it gels together worse than the party member confrontations in Sky SC but on the other hand it’s kind of objectively contrived that two of the Enforcers had preestablished connections to the party so it breaks even, since Wald was pretty immediately regretting his actions after the repurcussions became apparent, so he wouldn’t have any other reason to be around other than settling things.

- same with Shirley to an extent, she’s legit confused/disappointed to be alive at the end of her fight, because she thought a sick duel to the death like Rutger and her uncle had was a fair price to pay for crippling a woman for life as. Siegmund was just doing a job, he was going to do it well since he was paid and all, but he just wanted to try recruiting Randy one last time.

- I think Mariabell had already written off Crossbell a while ago, if she hadn’t then she wouldn’t have screwed over her dad with the fine print. As to why she didn’t just kill a man, I can’t really begrudge a woman for not wanting to look bad in front of her not-girlfriend, or to be more exact crossing a line.

- tbh I thought it was a lot more off that KeA would be okay with powering up war machines that were murdering people so it just made sense that the Gundams hakai-ing the base just teleported everyone really far away, since the same purpose was accomplished either way. Also I’m kinda willing to just let bullshit slide if the end result is “small child gaslit into thinking she has to help the bad men doesn’t actually have blood on her hands” because that’s just too dark for most games period.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rean Schwarzer is mostly portrayed as very strong/capable and generally wins all his fights as of CS4 (he usually got draws in CS3) and this whole thing about "wow so Rean needed to get saved by NPCs again" feels like a CS2 problem that people have convinced themselves applies to the later titles too. A joke popular enough that people forced themselves to keep repeating it even as it became less relevant to the series.

It isn't just a Rean thing. It just gets brought up more with him because it's a lot less surprising when Estelle "I hit really hard with a stick" Bright and Juna "I'm like Lloyd except I traded maximum level burning spirit for mech proficiency" Crawford end up overpowered.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 6, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

didn't at least one squad/one named person died in Zero/Azure

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he didn't have a name until Cold Steel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

he didn't have a name until Cold Steel

That's a mean thing to say about Lloyd's brother.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

heroic all-star detective, Dude Bannings

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
People die all the time, the series just isn't interested in fountaining blood and gore across the screen every time it happens.

Azure:
But yes, the small child who literally started off the plot by rewriting people's deaths would, if given the chance, not murder everyone in a giant fortress first-hand when given absolute power over the giant spacetime gun.

Re: Bell: the thing to realize here is that she'd already finished her goals as of Azure Demiurge appearing. Everything after that, including shooting Grimwood, was really just for kicks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cyouni posted:

People die all the time, the series just isn't interested in fountaining blood and gore across the screen every time it happens.

I really don't think the people who make the criticism are asking for "fountaining blood and gore across the screen."

Probably has more to do with walking back every moment they do show, like someone getting shot in dramatic fashion. Yeah anime/comic rules apply, but when the story makes such a huge deal of moments like these and walks em back drat near every single time it's tiring. Write up any other scenario that doesn't hinge on someone appearing dead!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Shounen Battle Rules explicitly declare that being shown dying and then not dying cuz youre too cool to die to be the coolest thing ever.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I really don't think the people who make the criticism are asking for "fountaining blood and gore across the screen."

Probably has more to do with walking back every moment they do show, like someone getting shot in dramatic fashion. Yeah anime/comic rules apply, but when the story makes such a huge deal of moments like these and walks em back drat near every single time it's tiring. Write up any other scenario that doesn't hinge on someone appearing dead!

I don’t get this criticism, even when a character is revealed to be alive it doesn’t somehow negate the emotions of their apparent death by the other characters in the Trails games, and even then the characters treat it reveal that person is alive with the same emotional weight; it’s not suddenly brushed under the rug and forgotten about

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MythosDragon posted:

Shounen Battle Rules explicitly declare that being shown dying and then not dying cuz youre too cool to die to be the coolest thing ever.

please do not compare anyone to Jack Rakan, it's unfair

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don’t get this criticism, even when a character is revealed to be alive it doesn’t somehow negate the emotions of their apparent death by the other characters in the Trails games, and even then the characters treat it reveal that person is alive with the same emotional weight; it’s not suddenly brushed under the rug and forgotten about

What it negates is future tension. The series can no longer credibly threaten a character with anything beyond moderate inconvenience. At no point in Reverie was I ever seriously worried about any character who was menaced or presumed dead because overwhelming evidence pointed to any bad thing being undone before the bodies had even had time to cool literally, in at least one case.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thoom posted:

What it negates is future tension. The series can no longer credibly threaten a character with anything beyond moderate inconvenience. At no point in Reverie was I ever seriously worried about any character who was menaced or presumed dead because overwhelming evidence pointed to any bad thing being undone before the bodies had even had time to cool literally, in at least one case.

I think that's a perspective issue, you shouldn't be worried if anyone is going to die but wonder what cool thing they're going to do to get out of the situation, or anticipate when they appear from their apparent death to do something cool

For example, Rean Act 3's end: I didn't expect the settlement to actually get blasted by the rainway cannon and kill Gaius' mom and sister, Grace, and Schmidt. But I was blown the gently caress away when Rean, nearly despairing at his powerlessness and missing Valimar, suddenly finds the power to summon his new Gundam and cut a goddam artillery shell in half. And then the cockpit opens up and you see the consequence it had on Rean; and a new tension on what the heck is happening to him

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 7, 2024

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Well, lest we forget (up to CS4) Garrelia Fortress, the trade conference, Jormungandr, Shirley absolutely ripping through CGF guys at Mainz, and the people in a tank at the end of CS1 are all looking pretty dead.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cyouni posted:

Well, lest we forget (up to CS4) Garrelia Fortress, the trade conference, Jormungandr, Shirley absolutely ripping through CGF guys at Mainz, and the people in a tank at the end of CS1 are all looking pretty dead.

Someone did counts years ago, across arcs 2 and 3, and while I don't remember the exact number(like 30 or 60), the count was pretty much equal. Before arc 4, so no counts for the latest games. Pretty much all nameless so of course it doesnt count to the people that want more death though.
Also the first note there are confirmed alive in CS2, you specifically visit very early in the game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

MythosDragon posted:

Also the first note there are confirmed alive in CS2, you specifically visit very early in the game.

Not the ones during the opening to CS1. But yes, the original topic was basically about nameless people not dying anyways.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cyouni posted:

Not the ones during the opening to CS1. But yes, the original topic was basically about nameless people not dying anyways.

Oh, you were going in timeline order, rather than game order. Checks out

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

finally beat Reverie.
Pretty nice installment. I need to still do the sanctum a bit more to unlock all the daydreams, might lower the difficulty so I can collect the stones quickly because I hate this place.

Still no idea who's behind teleporting everyone here to get them stronger. Maybe next game.
Anyway, final chapters. Some pretty good closures for all 3 parties. Still a bit dim on some of the conflicts on the crossbell side. llya turned evil because she felt it was her duty to keep on dancing so everyone in crossbell didn't turn emo, instead of just performing because she enjoys it? i dunno...

Ishmelga Rean so angry lol. So like...the other duplicates were just robots, but this Ishmelga Rean was just....literally pulled from another timeline?

Was really sweet to see Valimar back! It was a tease when Rean just summoned the regular mech in the middle of the game, then Valimar showed up!
Liked that the computer responded in the epilogue scene, so maybe he show up again when he's needed.
Nice to see Randy proposing to his girl in the credits.

RIP Rufus. You went out like a hero.

NOT.

nvm, you lived. Some open secret this is gonna be that Rufus is dead, like just about every named playable character knows he's still alive lol.
Nice that Rufus has a pairing now with Lapis. Along with Jusis and Millium, I guess these two brothers are alike afterall.

llyod is so sappy lol. "You're worst crime is that you don't know how much the people around you love you"

My main party thruout the game was pretty much once the parties got merged was pretty much Rean, llyod, Swin, Nadia, Duvalie, Elie, Emma, Tio.
i barely touched anyone else.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The explanation behind the Reverie Corridor is at the bottom of the Corridor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah the Reverie Corridor effectively grants an epilogue and explanation.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

got the white sphere for the 'true post-credits scene'

dundundun...
damnit, Society, how many '_____' plans do you have?! Get a new hobby

Still have to go thru the other stages. Feels kind of weird to me that they call it 'depths' but you go up.
When I think of depth, I think about diving down.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5VR1CWVlI

Autumn 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can't believe Ys will be the next good pirate game

I don't want to fight a whale though :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Adol is done watching his own ship sink...:black101:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Playing Trails in the Sky on my Vita, should I carry over the save by playing SC on the Vita or is it more worthwhile to play the enhanced PC port instead? Not sure if there’s much to care about losing via no save transfer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it makes a difference Sky 3rd is PC-only and long term I think the PC is going to be the only reliable platform that all of the games will live on. The rewards for having a clear save are never super substantial though (and if you do play them on PC finding a 100% save for them is trivial).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends wether you prefer Zin or Zane

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Demo on switch was great, I'm hoping that gets announced soon

edit - NISA UK is saying switch as well

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The PC versions of Trails in the Sky also have a turbo function and the ability to skip animations, which is something to consider if you’d like an 80 hour game over a 100 hour one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played Reverie primarily on the Steam Deck so if the barrier for buying them on PC is portability there is absolutely a path forward for that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CullenDaGaDee posted:

The PC versions of Trails in the Sky also have a turbo function and the ability to skip animations, which is something to consider if you’d like an 80 hour game over a 100 hour one.

This has broken me of all other games. I find myself hitting the shoulder button on everything now, even as it does nothing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

This has broken me of all other games. I find myself hitting the shoulder button on everything now, even as it does nothing.

All games should have turbo.
My success rate with playing games with turbo more than 10 hours before switching games is a dozen times higher than without turbo.
Falcom should sell its turbo function to fund making more games with even better turbo functions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

also a button to make my character yell "EDF" or possibly "Rock and Stone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

also a button to make my character yell "EDF" or possibly "Rock and Stone"

"Aloha~"