Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
These are good games and this will hopefully be a good thread.

So how about that Orange Staff Gal Game coming up in a few days, eh

Still kind of nervous that people won't like the script after working on it for years and then waiting for the game itself to come out

Still extra hype, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaggitz posted:

I'm buying SC on Steam GOG and PSN, it'll eat into my other gaming plans, but it's a good problem to have. I'll also probably get both versions of Cold Steel.

Interesting note with this - Cold Steel will support cross-play. So you can move your saves between the Vita and PS3 versions at will, if you wish. It's a lot of outlay for two copies of the game, but it is pretty rad if you travel a lot and want to play on the go but also play on a big screen.

This isn't the case with Sky SC - Sara tried her god damnedest to make it work, but the save structure between the PSP and PC versions is just too different.

edit: Also if we're posting Falcom music, in a small way I feel like this is obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azjB3lsUTU

The Crossbell campaign has a lot of the best music in Trails. If nothing else, I am bummed that the Anglosphere hasn't gotten to experience that in person just yet.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 27, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

What are those games like, by the way? Have they had a fan-translation at all yet?

Zwei Zwei had a fan-translation effort that was very far along but has stalled out ~mysteriously~. No word on when it will be complete.

Disclaimer: I legitimately know nothing about this or if there are any plans to export the game

but

Zwei!! might also have a fantrans effort, I don't remember offhand. It's also very much an older game - it's one of the last fully-2D games Falcom made, circa 2001, before they switched to the sprites-and-3D model of Ark-Engine-Ys and the early Trails games. Problem is, being from 2001 and locked at 640x480, it can be a bit of a pill to get to work on modern machines.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

how big is the quality jump from the vita to the ps3 for these btw? Would I be secure in just playing the vita versions? I don't really wanna go through the hassle of unboxing my old ps3 unless its a marked improvement.

The quality jump isn't as dramatic as, say, the PSP to Steam-PC versions, but it's still there. Somewhat sharper textures, a higher framerate (not that it matters for a Trails game), ability to hear That Music over large speakers, and a higher rendering resolution if you try to play it on a PSTV rather than a handheld Vita unit.

If getting your PS3 set back up would be a tremendous hassle, though, the Vita version is hardly a massive drop in quality.

Overbite posted:

edit: also, bring back Popful Mail

would emptyquote if I could

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

I went ahead and picked up PSP Brandish, hopefully I will enjoy it

Hopefully you enjoy it - while the camera is much better in PSP Brandish, the concept isn't quite for everyone and that camera can still feel weird.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Man does Agate ever stop being such a wet blanket? He's easily my least favorite character of FC, and that tagline for SC of "go with Agate or Schera" doesn't even come close to making that choice difficult.

Both Agate and Schera get a ton more development in this game. Either one is a good choice.

But yes, Agate specifically gets a ton of development in SC. In fact he gets drat near all his development in SC.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

XSEED generally tries to be good about currency conversions, yeah. At most they'll round a little to good, even numbers.

I'm not entirely sure what the Euro price will look like, but I suspect they'll try to keep it fair.

Noyemi K posted:

Can't believe nobody's brought up Xanadu, the first good* Dragon Slayer:

(Pictured: Revival Xanadu on PC-9801)

Xanadu is a Really Important Videogame, both for Falcom as a company and just historically (it was the first PC game to break 500k sales in Japan, IIRC, in 1985) but sadly it's just gotten no English versions and thus no play at all in the Anglosphere. I do wish someone would do a biopic or something of Falcom's history in the 80s, that poo poo is amazing and has a couple of gaming history's most important inflection points - I still wonder what the gently caress would've happened if Origin Systems published Xanadu in the States in 1985/6 like they'd planned to before that meeting went so sour.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 27, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

Can you elaborate a little on how Xanadu influenced the industry? I crave knowledge.

It's a little hard to nail down the precise influence of the game on everything else - the hothouse of the 80s makes it hard to determine who influenced what, and of course few people will admit "yeah we just totally got inspired by that one thing and riffed on it" - but at the very least, there's long been a strong suspicion that the Zelda games were heavily influenced by Dragon Slayer in general, and Xanadu's side-scrolling dungeon navigation may have had a particular influence on Zelda 2 (although the combat is way different). Xanadu was just sort of generally influential, though, in proving that a game on the Japanese PCs of the time was a viable commercial endeavor - prior to Xanadu, there wasn't a ton of dedicated game development for those early PCs, but in the wake of Xanadu selling so well, a lot of the young game houses of the 80s, like Enix, Compile, HAL Laboratory, and whatnot, began to make serious efforts to produce software for PCs of various kinds in addition to efforts for the ever-selling Famicom. The PC-88 and -98 remained kind of their own unique beasts game-wise due to their hardware architecture, but the MSX saw a lot of cross-pollination with the FC/NES.

Unfortunately, NEC's poor management of their PC line in the 90s, the difficulties Microsoft had breaking in to the market as anything other than a pure business platform, and the advent of the Playstation in 1994 all pretty much doomed the momentum Falcom had kicked off in the 80s - but for a little while there, Xanadu helped to inspire a healthy PC game market in Japan, by dint of being a good dungeon-exploring RPG and selling well.

Meanwhile, while I think replying to this may end badly:

Captain Rufus posted:

poo poo, why the hell hasn't Vic Ireland tried to do some sort of Working Designs back catalog deal?

You realize a lot of those games are in rights limbo, right

Like a lot of those games are, at best, owned by entities that have no reason to want to work with Ireland currently

Hell, I'm surprised the Lunar games are up on the Japanese PSN at all, given how contentious things got between Studio Alex and GameArts, but I guess Gungho-GameArts can afford the heavy legal guns these days if it comes down to it

(Fun bit of thread-relevant trivia I learned only recently: the founder of Studio Alex, the main developer of the Lunar games, was a Falcom veteran and the man behind the programming of Sorcerian.)

quote:

Why doesn't Atari acknowledge the brand was more than just arcade games and the 2600?

Because the entity currently wearing the Atari name isn't actually Atari

quote:

I answered that one dude. Even if they aren't lying and I think they usually are

Um

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 27, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

So to paraphrase: there was an internal competition for the PC market in Japan created in the 80s, and Xanadu was a progenitor for a particular niche in that market. Said niche went undervalued due to the failings of the PC market in the 90s in Japan.

Is that a good way to understand your post, in laconic terms?

That's a little simpler than it should be, but sure.

Erpy posted:

From what I've heard, 3rd on PSP didn't receive *major* additions like additional characters to play around with, but received a lot of tiny little balance tweaks. Oh, and one "sidequest" that existed in the PC version was censored out on PSP.

Largely correct.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

GOG page should go live tomorrow.

Also in a bit of slightly downer news: I somehow missed it at the time, and only learned today, that one of the architects of Trails in the Sky's soundtrack, including and especially "Silver Will", which serves as the overall musical theme for SC in many ways, passed away last year at the age of 39.

He was also the driving force behind Xanadu Next's soundtrack, Vantage Master Japan's OST, the OST for Legend of Heroes 5 ("Song of the Ocean"), and also made contributions to Ys 6 and Zwei!!. I'm sorta bummed that he didn't get to see a whole new audience come to appreciate his work. :(

So yeah, sappy as it sounds, when you hit that vocal cut of Silver Will in SC, take a moment to appreciate that the guy behind it died way younger than he should have.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The moment is upon us.

I hope you all enjoy the game, legitimately. It has been a long, long time coming. I'll be around the thread, obviously, if there are questions.

Supremezero posted:

... it started raining.

And the camera started getting hit by raindrops.

Didn't this become a thing way after SC was originally released, I thought?

That was in the original game. Falcom Wizardry is also a thing.

(Getting that effect to not screw up on modern graphics cards also took a bit of Sara Wizardry, tho)

Supremezero posted:

AH

gently caress.

I just realized I didn't import my save!

How do I do that?

On PC: open the configuration tool for Trails FC, and click "save folder". Make sure that the relevant save is in that folder.

If it is, SC will detect it automatically and ask you to import save data when starting a new game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oh, also: I don't recommend Nightmare for a first playthrough. The game is a bit harder in general this time around, and even Normal can be pretty challenging in spots. Nightmare is very much second-playthrough territory.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

I think he meant if it was possible to import FC(PC) data to SC(PC) without actually owning FC(PC). I could be wrong, though.

Supremezero posted:

You could probably create the save folder and put it in the right place. It shouldn't know the difference.

Pretty much exactly. The folder is [username]/Saved Games/FALCOM/ED6. And yes, that's a standard space. Put any downloaded saves into that folder, boot up SC, begin a new game, and the game should prompt you to import "your" FC save.

quote:

"Behold! The new model combat orbment! It's amazing! It has!

One more slot than before."

"Wow that's amazing!"

Me: :crossarms:

Hey, it also starts out with all slots unlocked, which kind of owns.

(And it also has the effect, among other things, of equalizing the length of Estelle's orbment lines, which matters more than you might think)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

If the movies are acid trips, play in borderless windowed, yeah.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

Yeesh, this one gets way nastier really quick

In terms of combat difficulty? Oh yes. Even the prologue isn't loving around.

OddObserver posted:

FWIW , the path FC config tool shows for saves:
C:\Users\me\Saved Games\FALCOM\ED6
... doesn't seem to be what the game actually used ---- much like what CakeAttach had, my saves appeared to be in:
D:\Steam\userdata\<number>\251150\remote\fc
... And SC found it automatically.

The former will also work, though. As in I literally tested it and it's how I started my own playthrough.

If you have cloud saves from the PC version of FC, though, those get pulled down too.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Unnecessary doubleposting!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a ton before, but is there any benefit to loading a 100% save rather than my own save, where I got the top Bracer rank but not max points?

You will, I believe, miss one other tiny little bonus item during the prologue chapter. It's not really that much, but it's kind of nice to have.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Munin posted:

Btw, what's is SC like when it comes to missables?

FC is generally pretty lenient at signposting stuff but there is some obscure gotcha stuff. Is there still stuff like that in the new one? I don't mind talking to everyone and exploring, it's in fact one of the things I really enjoy, but you do have the odd bit in FC where if you don't take the right turning at a specific time or don't talk to one obscure person at the exactly right moment you end up missing out on stuff.

The gotchas are once again mostly limited to side-books. The only difference this time is that there's two different book series you can miss (Gambler Jack and Doll Knight).

also could the OP get a big ol' link to Steam letting folks know SC is out, that would be rad

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Finished the prologue, new boss music is A+++.

Some Numbers posted:

That boss music is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mk0yil3Y9s

If y'all think that poo poo's good

and it is good

just goddamn wait

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

A Lesson On Counting To 3 In German, or why Falcom Still Hates You

The knockback on Drei really threw me for a loop when I saw it the first time. That poo poo belts you literally halfway across the arena. It is very common to hit the combat border when that connects.

It's not even the strongest knockback effect in the game. :getin:

theblackw0lf posted:

It's out on PSN :)

In fact it literally went live at 4:20PM

I think Sony is, in fact, trolling the poo poo out of us at this point

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Kevin is great already

HOME DELIVERY CHURCHENING

or something like that

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Death Priest posted:

Can anyone who is playing Trails SC on PSP/Vita tell me if it is easier on the eyes compared to FC ? I felt that everything was just a little smaller than it needed to be for me. (fonts, icons, enemies on the field)

I really, really want to play this on Vita but I imagine it's exactly the same engine as the first game so I'll get it on PC if it means I can salvage what's left of my eyesight.

PC will definitely be easier on the eyesight. The scaling is more or less like FC on PSP/Vita.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Remember to thank BlondRobin too, none of this poo poo would've been remotely possible without him

Jess Chavez also did a ton of work on it once my motor coughed out, so save a ton of thanks for her too!

And all the other folks at XSEED who spent literal months QAing this rough beast of empire

And

look it was stupid big for everyone involved

On a different note: how are people liking Anelace's voice? It was recorded years ago now, before CF even came on the project, but I really rather liked it. It's one of the stronger battle performances in the game, I think.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Yes, early on, feel free to throw cookies at enemies. It's rather expected and is good for bursting healing assholes down.

Also, if you're getting "jaegerbombed", try keeping Estelle and Anelace fairly close together so they get knocked back together and can spam items on one another if need be. Low-level art spam is also good, because it's decent damage against his ability to raise his defense. ALSO abuse the gently caress out of Anelace's AT Delay ability, he has no immunity to it.

Some Numbers posted:

Unrelated, I just got my first party wipe, I hit Retry and the game crashed.

If you can reproduce it, note your system specs and drivers and post, I'll pass it along to Sara assuming she doesn't see it in thread herself.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

Nope, turns out in just a bit in the story you get some familar folks following you around and -then- you have to randomly go down to the tower and have them do it for you because estelle sucks at photography

Less that Estelle sucks and more that you have one of the most gifted idiot savant photographers in Liberl with you, so she'll do a better job than anyone could

It is still a little obtuse, granted

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Estelle: I ain't afraid of no ghost.

Agate: Excuse me, Princess.

SpaceDrake, I love your script. :allears:

You know what the best part is

they're both 100% accurate to the Japanese, to boot

the first is like 110%

in fact I'm not entirely sure but it might even be that reference in Japanese

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

also (end of chapter 1) bleublanc and olivier getting into an argument about the nature of beauty was great. i am a fan of the enforcers so far.

The Enforcers were all a ton of fun to write, although I believe one of them was rewritten fairly substantially after my draft - which I'm okay with, because that character was the one I was shakiest on out of the entire cast. Bleublanc's particular version of cultured nutzoidism was particularly fun to write, though, and I had a kick with that entire scene.

Cake Attack posted:

Also, SpaceDrake/others involved on production end: At the end of the prologue, Lorence is called Loewe in his name tag, but after Chapter 1 he becomes "Lorence?" .Is that intentional or did the first scene accidentally use the wrong name tag, because it was kinda weird

Tch! When I saw the prologue, I figured the "bonus nametags" had been dropped from my draft for some reason. He is supposed to be "Lorence?" up until a little later in the game, at which point things shift a bit. The tags reflect the last name we knew him by, but which was hinted to be an alias at the end of FC - hence the "?".

His being "Loewe" in the prologue scene is the bug, then. I'll pass it along, though I'm guessing Sara will see it here soon enough.

Hivac posted:

man i dont even remember how many names that dude has

His name situation is sorted out well enough eventually.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

It's not, party members don't leave anymore. And yes they get exp while in reserve, I can confirm.

To clarify: available party members will occasionally shift around when your overall team needs to delegate responsibility, and there's a few points later where things get changed up a tiny bit. In the main, though, you put the band back together quickly, and by and large the band stays together and is available together for the vast majority of the game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

ahaha (chapter 5) of course cassius knows the loving dragon, why wouldn't he

I love how even the cast is just like "sweet Aidios, how and why" before just kind of sighing in resignation

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Chapter 5 makin me misty eyed about Agate what is even happening.

So at that point

from that point on, don't expect to be clear-eyed until after the credits roll, tbqfh

animatorZed posted:

I'd stopped paying attention a while ago, but hey, apparently SC came out a few days ago. Nice.

Indeedy

A little part of me is wondering if I should've made a separate thread for SC, to "advertise" it better and get word out that it's out

A little late now, but

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Hahahaha Carna. When faced with the Aureole's orbment shut down field rendering her blaster useless she just gets an old fashioned tommy gun

This is also when you find out that, yes, Tita really has been lugging a minigun around this entire time

where the hell does she keep it?

well

shut up

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

goldjas posted:

Yeah this happened with me as well, I just figured my characters were humoring him.

The game assumes you don't impede him until you get blown up by a couple arts, though yeah, your team has a billion impede options by that point.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

also what the hell why isn't josette a real party member. no s-craft and two crafts what's this crap.

Her S-Craft actually owns and is one of the things that "salvages" her, but it's plot-locked for reasons that will be obvious.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

you get Julia and Mueller if you go talk to them after saving the Capuas.

Correct. I'm afraid Anelace and Kurt are just temporary party members. Anelace becomes permanent for 3rd though, thanks to fan demand in Japan back in the day.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BearDrivingTruck posted:

e2: What size memory card would I need for both FC and SC on my Vita?

8GB. You need ~4GB for the games themselves, but they also need room to unpack, which weirdly requires as much room again as the game itself before it cleans itself up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

this is kind of an odd question, but i'm entering what i assume is the final dungeon and the enforcer plotlines haven't been settled. Do i need to have the right characters in my party (i.e, Zane for Walter and Schera for Luci) or will the game handle that in some way

Bring the appropriate characters to each fight for extra scenes that settle accounts - I would say Schera is the one who matters most in this regard. You will fight them in the order you encountered them. "Fifteen" kind of doesn't count because her linked character is Estelle. Loewe, meanwhile, will have plenty to say to nearly everyone.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

FrantzX posted:

Chapter 6

Really Weissmann? A giant pipe organ in the middle of your flying doom base?

And Estelle even calls him out on it. And yes, that's not an invention of the English script. Weissmann's the best.

Supremezero posted:

[spoilerSpeaking of Zane, the heck happened with Walter. Bleublanc and Renne leave, Lucciola falls off the tower, but they just kinda leave Walter there unconscious.[/spoiler]

Hmmm~

(Naw but that is kinda goofy)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The line colors are there purely to help differentiate the lines themselves. They have no effect on actual line power or whatnot.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Levantine posted:

Are you saying it counts the elements for the entire orbment, not just the lines, for the purpose of creating spells? I was under the impression it only counted the slots on a given line.

Yes, it still counts per-line. The colors are purely a visual aid to help keep straight which slot is on which line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Ahhh, rendering issues. :v: