Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Hey, yeah, why can't glorious XSEED get SRW and bring it over? :haw:

*knows exactly why besides for OG*

I assume the OG GBA games basically cratering is why nobody was willing to take a risk and at this point OGs is way too old to port. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm about to start Second Chapter. Is it worth stressing out about finding hidden BP and poo poo again? And if so is there any kind of spoiler-free "hey, there's a really easy to miss mission here" things?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleh. I really want to get into SC but the "there are ten billion easily missable things" thing is kinda tiring and makes it hard to play casually. I'm pretty willing to give up on max BP at this point but is there anything otherwise I should keep an eye out for?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Finishing SC before playing Cold Steel will add to your understanding of it, however, since one particular late-game development in SC is pretty relevant to Cold Steel.

Ugh. How big a spoiler is this? I have a review copy of ToCS I need to handle but I haven't had time to finish SC yet. I might be able to buckle down I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

It's a pretty obvious one tbh I'd guessed it during FC

It is something Oliver-related then? Because if so I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah you've probably guessed it

Yyyeah, I got that one basically from the moment he showed up. Alright, that's cool then, thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the UI improves in ToCS alone are a huge fuckin' improvement.

I'm playing both at the same time and it really highlights just how goddamn terrible TitS user interface is. Awful maps, bad quest markers, no quick travel, slow combat without animation skip, all kinds of little things. Some of it is a product of the era it is from but some of it is just goddamn annoying.

I like TitS's plot more so far but CS is hugely more playable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Munin posted:

Yeah, but plenty of people are still playing through the previous games. That character is also so good that I prefer the dawning realisation to come naturally.

To be honest I'm pretty sure a lot of people came to that realization like 3 minutes after meeting him. It's kinda a predictable plot twist. He is a p. good character though. (and no reason not to spoil it if you can help it.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

The real secret to Blade is "who the hell cares, you don't get anything for winning anyway."

I get to show that loving stuck-up son of a bitch who the real master of card games is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I gotta ask. Without spoilers. Does ToCS end TITS-style with an ending + a cliffhanger or just a cliffhanger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Okay, so I'm a few hours into Cold Steel and I have a few questions about the game mechanics.

Are APs worth it? Do they improve the party's combat proficiency in any meaningful way?

What do the different ranks of crafts represent? (They seem to go on an alphabetic grading system, what was the reason behind this?)

How does CP recover? I noticed that the CP bar is yellow for certain characters and green for others. Any particular reason?

What about orbment colors? Can I just throw whichever quartz I want in the orbments regardless of the color of the grand quartz? I understand that certain slots are reserved for certain colors, but do the quartz colors matter much beyond that?

What about lines within the orbments? Some characters have up to four 'lines' while others only have two. What's the main function of them? Should I be building the lines a certain way depending on the character?

Are battle bonuses (like +10 CP and zero arts) randomly spawned?

I'm sure I'll think of a few others, but this game is rad as gently caress and I want to understand the mechanics as much as I can.

AP are the same as Bracer Points in TitS if you played that. If not: They get you valuable items and it's at least worth going for them because free items and almost all of them are really good items.

Higher-rank crafts do more base damage from what I gather.

CP recovers when you do or take damage. There are other ways to recover CP such as items or spells. When a bar reaches 100 that character can use a S-Craft or S-Break if they've unlocked it. When the bar reaches 200 the S-Craft/Break reaches its maximum potential damage.

Do not stress about orbment colors. Unless a slot is color-locked you can basically just toss on whatever.

Lines are also not really worth stressing out about. They were more important in previous games but have been hugely simplified. The only real critical thing is that longer lined characters tend to be better at magic and multi-line characters better at physical and their orbments support that. You can equip a wider variety of quartz (especially status-effect quartzes) on multi-line characters while long-line characters have more EP to spend.

The battle bonuses are randomly spawned, yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

Is there anyway of knowing where my characters will move to if they are not within attack range of a target? (Or in the case of ranged weapons, where the character will move to prior to attacking?) Or will they simple move up until they can't go any further/they become within range of their target?

The first ring shows movement the second attack range.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The good news is that characters upgrade themselves when they are separate from you so they'll never be too far behind the curve. Make sure to focus on Rean's weapons first and then whoever you plan to use regularly. (Probably Laura.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Is there a point where you lose Laura? Because she and Rean are my primary linkers. She is real strong and good.

Every character will be separated from you at least briefly by going to other student assignments than Rean does.

Don't get really attached to any team you'll be swapping constantly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spam CP all day er'y day. Getting CP back is easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Brother, hear me out here.

Laura AND Fie.

It's the only way to play.

The plot does in fact back this up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

There's certain sections in Cold Steel that really made me wish Falcom had the budget and artistic expertise to create amazing vistas like in Xenoblade.

God, I hated the plains. They are a cool idea but in practice just means everything takes 3 times as long to do as anywhere else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

That's what the horse is for, though? It really doesn't take significantly longer.

The Horse is why it takes 3 times as long instead of 10 times as long. It still sucks especially because the fast travel locations are basically worthless. Especially compared the area afterwards which is large but has actual good fast travel. There's one sidequest which is just "go to the military base, then go back, then go back to the military base" which is probably the biggest waste of time in the game. I'm also not really using a FAQ so it makes checking for hidden quests twice as loving annoying.

A question: Are the DLC costumes (at least in theory) supposed to be compatible with the sequel too or just ToCS1?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

the Nord Highlands are the place for taking your time, taking in the scenery and chilling out to that sweet flute action, not rushing obsessively

They are large almost entirely barren plains in a game with pretty lacking visuals. The NPCs all clustered in a few locations, there's not much in the way of things to discover and not much in the way of interesting sidequests. I'm not sure why I'd want to take in the scenery when literally every other area in the game is more interesting. Maybe it's coming off Xenoblade X but I enjoyed exploring the other areas a lot more.

(The music is real good tho'.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trails in the Sky has characters I like more but Trails of Cold Steel's gameplay is several steps above in almost every way. I'd start with TitS because going backwards would be awful.

Edit: Also TitS is finished while ToCS is currently in cliffhanger town until part 2 comes out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

Thanks a lot for the prompt responses. So the PC versions have a different translation and different features? Right now I'm leaning toward the Vita version for sheer convenience sake. My Vita has been quite the little RPG machine for me. So many PSONE Classics.

The PC Translation is cleaned up but is like 90% the same.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For some reason the art makes me think of the Star Ocean remake art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would be genuinely happy if both Trails games didn't have a subplot involving a brother and sister (NOT RELATED BY BLOOD) where people are trying to hook them up. Estelle and Joshua sort of make it work but that one particular element adds nothing but weirdness to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like the cast members in CS1 end up overall better than the cast members in FC in terms of development. They do not get as much individual development as Joshua or Estelle but they end up a lot better than Tita or Zane or whoever are by that point. Most of the non-Agate/Kloe party members in FC felt underdeveloped to me and only really got better in SC where they have more of a presence. (Oliver is probably the closest but is more amusing than developed I think.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

davidHalestorm posted:

Chapter 5 of Cold Steel: I cannot stand Millium Orion. It's like she belongs in a different game/anime . That is all.

She is really bad and also her voice actor is kinda crap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My number one problem with Elliot is that I can never remember his name and spent the entire game calling him Ron Weasley.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Elliot is a sweet and gentle soul who has done nothing to warrant all this abuse

He abandoned Rean and Emma when they needed him most! How else will they stop Lord Voldemort?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like Rean, Jusis, Emma and Laura. Rean and Laura are obvious, Emma does hilarious combat damage and I have Jusis spamming buffs/debuffs on cooldown or using his delaying craft if he really has nothing to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I'm guessing you haven't tried spamming Noble Command, then.

Yeah, Nobel Command is basically the thing that makes Jusis own. He's way more of a buff/debuff bot than anything but that's a real powerful role.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I think the game is genuinely well designed in that almost every character has a really strong motivating factor for picking them. The 'worst' is that Emma and Elliot are a bit too overlappy and that Gaius really genuinely doesn't have a good solid role compared to the other characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agate is tsundere and has a giant sword, Oliver can't stand up to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, even when my characters were getting 9999 exp a battle Master Quartz got more like a couple hundred.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What carries over into CSII anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

What is Chrono Burst and when do I get it?

Chrono Burst is a Time spell that allows a character to act twice in a row for 200 EP. You can buy it from any Quartz store starting at about the midway point of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh,. so the events of the end of the game are from Aoi/Zero? I thought they were but at what point are they overlapping with CS?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

Pretty much constantly. If something gets mentioned as happening that you didn't see, (aside from Group B's stuff), it's generally because it happened in Zero/Ao.

Also people that you haven't met that are mentioned a fair bit, for that matter.

Ao ends around the same time as CS1 does, with an Epilogue bit that's past CS2's ending that will probably tie into CS3's plot.

Ah, that last part is what I was wondering. Yeah, I got the idea that every time Crossbell came up it was the events of the other game but I actually thought it was a bit more prequelly rather than overlapping.

Fortunately the entire first episode of CS just leads up to the opening of a Gundam series so I was able to glean most of the stuff I missed via context!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double Post. Man, SA is doing this poo poo all the time now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

CS1 was basically written with the assumption that people had played Zero/Ao, so they'd know things were going to happen in advance. For example, (CS1 spoilers)when Towa tells you she's going to the Trade Conference, you're intended to freak out, since you saw that go horribly in Zero/Ao. Thankfully, it kinda also works in reverse, so we were able to find out things that happened in Zero/Ao similar to how Erebonia events were mentioned there.

The opening actually does a reasonable job of setting that up too at least. Aside from the completely lame fakeout of 'whoops turns out it was a blank."

Fortunately it really does sound like it's kind of the same in both directions so we're getting the 'other side' of the story rather than missing out entirely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

are any of the master quartz permanently missable? im nearing the end of the game and feel like im missing a few, based on lists ive seen online and stuff

Yes, quite a few. Some are prizes for side stuff (like fishing/cooking/ect) and if you don't get everything you need for those you're not getting 'em. There is also at least one set which is mutually exclusive and can't be gotten on a single playthrough. (Getting all four school medals unlocks a choice between the Zeus and Chevalier Master quartzes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

lol, i still only have the cookie recipe

i dont even know where you're supposed to get new recipes

Most of 'em you get by talking to random people in the environment. There's one or two that are quest rewards I think.