Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

One of the people who did the stellar Geofront Zero patch tweeted out an interview with the president of Falcom https://www.gematsu.com/2020/04/falcom-interview-with-president-toshihiro-kondo-trails-series-ys-ix-monstrum-nox-coming-west-and-more

quote:

Kondo: “I very much regret that we were unable to release Zero and Ao [in the west]. I think that releasing on PlayStation 4 will lead to an opportunity to release these games in North America and Europe.”

Unfortunately I am impatient and having finished Zero earlier this week have been struggling to get Ao to work - it boots fine and everything but it also believes I have a controller plugged in and pressing up and left constantly, no matter what I do. My suspicion is that some esoteric config file somewhere is messing around and I plan to try seeing if the xinput fix can help me in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think a PS4 port does imply a higher likelihood of a PC port for the two at least, which makes a fan translation also possible (obviously we already have this for Zero, but the hoops for Ao are way higher right now, as I attested above).

Also I've had the (Zero mid-late final chapter) battle music from the showdown outside the IBC stuck in my head (and my playlist) ever since playing that bit. So drat good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

I love the man personally. He got hired for being a big fan, and now runs the company

Okay I did not know that, that owns.

I'm finding it kinda funny that I went from "Ys Origins? Eh it's cheap guess I'll try it" to now obsessively trying to play fanpatches because I can't get enough with just the official western Falcom releases.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

So far its saying "gently caress the Police, Bracers RULE."
I predict it will shift shortly into trying to get into Lloyds pants cuz god drat, Rean aint got nothing on this kid.

Enjoy Grace constantly making GBS threads on you.

And for those who are about to correct me I know she changes her tune later, I'm talking early game.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair the Geofront patch has a poo poo-ton of internet memes added so that's likely deliberate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It was interesting to me going from starting Steel 2's Crossbell section and going "wait, no" and then playing Zero really added a lot of context to the references being made during that part. If I was playing that without having experienced Zero I would have just been overwhelmed with names and references I know nothing about.

Of course that just made me realise there were things from Sky that I needed to know to understand Zero better. Particularly Third.

No big deal really, nothing was spoilered for me by the order I've played in, and if anything it makes for an interesting experience playing them out of chronological order because you can see how well the interacting arcs tie together.

Still need to find a way to play Azure that works.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I did consider doing the extraordinary hoops to buy the Chinese translation but given the controller issues I've already mentioned it feels like a bit of a waste of money to buy something I can't use.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Duvalie constantly getting owned is my favourite running gag of the series.

That or the evil penguins.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

What do you mean? I haven't seen any of the chest jokes in Steel?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I did see those back then. It has been 2 years...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't mind choose your party but I do mind one-off party members who have shite stats and crappy gear and you don't always get the chance to unequip them before they leave your party.

In Zero I was a massive dick and whenever we had support members I'd just take all their orbments and gear and never have them in the active party.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well NOW I do. Didn't want to take the risk then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd figure a lot of this can be done remotely, anyway. You don't need to be in an office to translate text, or even record your vocal lines. Might be some finer touches will have to be done once the first wave of the plague passes and before the second wave, but a lot of it I'm sure is able to carry on as normal.

Might be worth asking one of the people involved on Twitter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

Voice acting is probably the part of the process that involves interacting most actually. Cold Steel's dub quality was almost entirely due to Brittany running herself ragged doing every single thing with every VA she possibly could to increase the quality and I admire her greatly for it and everything else she did for the games.

Brittany who? As you say the quality of the VA performances in Cold Steel is great and I'd like to know who to credit for that (other than the VAs themselves!).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, looking her up she was someone I'd followed on Twitter due to her fantastic work on previous games. Guess my lovely memory got me again.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm in the finale of Zero and god this game owns. I must admit though I am kind of disappointed it was so easy to immediately spot the secretly evil person. My wife and I got it right like two seconds after his introduction just by looking at his occupation and character design lol

I said it a page or two back but the climatic battle theme outside the IBC really sticks in my head, definitely helped by the external observers singing your praises.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It never stops being funny to me that of all the things in Trails I just shrug and go "okay, cool" I can't stop thinking "McBurn? Really? His trait is fire and you named him McBurn?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angelica's interaction with Tita was even worse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As I move into the epilogue of Steel 3 I am not happy with this new evolution of the "I was holding back" meme wherein you get a tough enemy down to the last 10-20% of their health and they go into super saiyan mode with massive health recovery and significantly reduced damage.

It wasn't so bad except for the dungeon where you have to use all of your characters without any chance to swap gear in the final boss fight.

On the other hand I drat near pissed myself at the end of chapter 4 where Lechter joins you in hunting the Calvardian teen - when the magic knight appeared at the end I used his card trick expecting a stat boost or something but it just straight up deathblowed the knight. Fight over in 55 seconds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

The idea is you're supposed to break them when they're low on health and then kill them before they get a turn again. It's pretty easy to do this with stuff like chrono burst, chrono drive, kurt's order that lowers delay massively, etc. And also in the lategame it's super easy for someone to have infinite turns, they just need chrono drive and a decent amount of EP. I'm pretty sure you can go literally infinite with Rean's instant cast order and the master quartz that lets you get EP back when you cast.

Had a feeling it was something like that - I've mostly been relying on Rean/Juna dumping like 5 status effects after their first goes combined. Something that works great for random encounters, less so for bosses who tend to have more immunities.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've been replaying 1/2 as I play through 3 and the turbo mode in 1/2 is rather lazy compared to 3's.

Pressing it will do a quick screen fade-out and fade-in to show the damage number but cancel all animations, except for S-crafts, which you can skip with the start button. Only pressing start will skip the results screen, though?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mirello posted:

As someone who's not a big fan of the combat, I'm loving just delaying everyone/everything in cold steel. I can't believe I played 5 games before switching to easy mode. other than that I'm liking it quite a bit. too bad like all of the plot of cold steel 1 and 2 is apparently spoiled by the end credits in trails of ao. lol, whoops. when the heck are they gonna make a series set in the republic?

Isn't that where they've outright declared the next series is going to be?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do agree with someone who recently completed Steel 1 that it is definitely just the 'set-up' to Steel 2, more so than Sky 1 which could really have ended without it's cliffhanger and been a solid game.

And yeah Nord owns, I finished replaying that chapter just yesterday in fact.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, I just finished CS1 for the first time, and I imagine I'd have been really mad if I'd played it at release and didn't have 2 to jump right into and continue the story - several big revelations, some of them confusing, every plot thread left dangling with no resolution, all characters in peril, and after the final fight the boss just cracks his knuckles and goes 'not even my final form bro' and Rean gets involuntarily rocketed away from the battlefield leaving everyone to their fate..

THE END :)

I just love remembering the whiplash of like four different cliffhangers colliding into your face at once.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

That optional one on one fight in CSIII's third chapter is a real 'gently caress you'.

Is that the one vs. the Golden Rakshasa?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I definitely think that Cold Steel 2, while padded out, was too vast in scope to include in a theoretical Steel 1+2. I do know what you mean, though. I was actually thinking last night about how I first felt when you got the Highwind in FF7. Imagine if that part of the game was locked off in a FF7-2.

Yes I know about FF7R, you don't need to point out the irony.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest if anything I feel Cold Steel 2 suffered more for just having Western Erebonia's entire campaign as a girlfriend in Canada situation. I get that they only had Rean see Eastern Erebonia in 1, which was why, for example, they couldn't send you to Sutherland, but it just meant that when all the people who were so busy in the West popped in at the end of 2 going "oh yeah it's solved fam" it felt a little hollow.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Idkbutlike2 posted:

How could Falcom be inexperienced at fully 3D games when they already released Gurumin, Xanadu Next, Zwei 2, Ys Seven, Nayuta no Kiseki, and Ys: Memories of Celceta prior to Cold Steel? Not to mention most of the character and enemy sprites in the Trails games come from converted CG models.

Ehh, I get what they mean though - those are fixed camera. In Steel you can rotate 360 outside of battle, something you couldn't always do in Sky/Bell. They also moved to a non-grid-based system.

One thing I did notice is that the movement animations are still janky in Steel 3 - a scene where jaegers are all running in perfect unison and snapping 45 degrees at a time to turn stands out to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fully rotated with 3d models not snapping to a 45 degree angle?

I was under the impression free rotation for Sky was added in later?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I hadn't, actually. I knew the ones I hadn't played would hoist me on the petard.

It looks fun too, might have to see if I can play it today.

edit: oh hey neat I apparently drunk-bought it months ago

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Altina and Juna rule and I love the crossover with the Crossbell crew (even more so now that I am playing Zero/Ao).

I definitely prefer Altina as she is in CS3 compared to 2, particularly in her interactions with Rean and Millium.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well, yes. But in all of those interactions she was kinda lovely, give or take the intermission. Also getting rid of the dumb tail was a plus.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Idkbutlike2 posted:

(CS2) The Pantagruel section pretty much encapsulates a lot of what I don't like in CS2's writing. First, there's Crow's entire backstory dump and how easily Rean is moved by it, despite all the lovely stuff that he's done. Then there's going around and casually chatting with every antagonist in the arc like they're coworkers in a break room, which I feel is tone deaf as gently caress given the situation. Like Rean, some of these people attempted to murder your friends on multiple occasions and just threatened to attack your hometown. What the hell are you doing humoring their conversations? And to top it all off, you get this painfully cheesy power trip escape sequence where Rean suddenly gains the ability to jump twenty feet in the air and do ninja kick flips around veteran jaegers. It's sooooo bad.

Yeah I agree that this section, more than any, felt like it was written like fanfic. The fact that Crow walks in, having just attacked your hometown, and doesn't immediately get told to choke on a bucket of poo poo by Rean, who then as you say eats up his story of "my dad lost against capitalism and died peacefully so I did a civil war teehee" and then you meeting a bunch of people some of whom it makes sense to chat casually to - Bleublanc comes to mind, but then you speak to S and V who are literally about to kill themselves but just chat to you like it's the watercooler. And then they just let Princess Alfin wander around the ship and even into your room which has a direct vent route to the escape path? Oh and then everyone and their loving dog teleports to the ship JUST as you're screwed, only for Vita to say "games over lads, let's go home" without any complaints? I know the game loves to pull that last twist a lot but even then it felt a little silly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I will never dislike a story beat that lets Rean interact with Duvalie.

That's fair. Although as I mentioned before I more love her reactions to McBurn giving zero fucks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean I didn't dislike the Pantagruel section, it just felt out of place, and didn't really make that much sense. All the effort to get you on board and then Vita says "bye Alfin lol" and Crow hands you the strategy guide to kick his rear end and everyone goes on their merry way. It was interesting backstory for a lot of the noble-alliance-allied it just didn't feel like it made much sense outside of Cayenne's initial offer. I suppose (CS2 ending spoiler) Rufus's intervention is what creates the ability to just flip them the bird and abscond.

BrightWing posted:

This is a reminder courtesy of my Youtube recomendations: Inevitable Struggle loving slaps.

Hell yeah it does.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Amppelix posted:

the purpose of this section is to characterise the antagonists and give them screentime. that's it.

I mean that's fair and I appreciated what it gave me, but I still agree with the initial criticism that it felt a little orthogonal to actions taken so far. I still love Steel 2 so consider it more me going "yeah, but" after the fact.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, and Bleublanc even saying "looks like I even stole your attention" was such a perfect line.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It does not end on a cliffhanger. There's unresolved questions, but it's not the punch in the tits that Sky1 or Steel1 do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Any criticisms I've made about any of the games pales in comparison to how much fun I do have playing them. You know what they say, you criticise what you love.

I mean I also criticise what I hate but this isn't a thread about myself heyooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Alfin sure dishes it out a lot for someone who can't take it. :colbert:

That's why she's good.