Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Falcom is a Japanese video game company. Founded in 1981, Falcom was one of the pioneers of the Japanese rpg industry and one of the few still around and kicking. Falcom is unique among Japanese developers for releasing their games on the PC well into the 2000s before eventually dropping the platform. Between this and XSeed’s recent localization efforts, Falcom has an unusually plentiful library on Steam. They’re also unique for having their own in house sound team - Falcom Sound Team JDK - who make some top notch music.

Flagship titles:

Ys:

Music: Release of the Far West Ocean (Ys VI)
The Boy’s Got Wings (Ys: Oath in Felghana)
Tower of the Shadow of Death (Ys I & II: Chronicles)

Gameplay: Ys: Oath in Felghana - Chester Boss Fight
Ys Seven - Ze-Kalios Boss Fight

Fast-paced hack and slash RPG action. That’s about what Ys is. Although there’s some reoccurring mythology that ties the game together, all you really need to know is that a red haired adventurer named Adol saves the world a lot. Sometimes his buddy Dogi tags along to crush some walls. Later games have introduced a party system where AI party members fight alongside Adol and the playable character can be switched.

Where to start: Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC, PSP) or Ys: Origins (PC). Origins is somewhat more beginner friendly.

Other games: (Bolded titles are definitive versions)

Ys: Origins (PC)
Ys I&II Chronicles (PC, PSP)
Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC, PSP)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Ys: V (SNES - avoid)
Ys: Ark of Napishtim (PC, PSP, PS2)
Ys Seven (PSP)
Ys 8 (Not out yet, little information is known)

Legend of Heroes:

Music: Sophisticated Fight Zanmai (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC)
Inevitable Struggle (Legend of Heroes: Trails to Zero)
Blue Destination (Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II)

Gameplay: Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Gameplay Trailer

Whenever someone talks about Legend of Heroes they’re usually talking about the Trails/Kiseki subseries, which are marked by having Trails in their name. Trails is almost the complete opposite of Ys, featuring turn-based combat systems with a heavy emphasis on story and worldbuilding. The series is particularly notable for setting every title within the same world, much like Suikoden did, although the series sticks with the same main plot and characters for two game arcs as opposed to changing every game. XSeed has released the first two games of the first arc (Trails in the Sky FC/SC) on PSP and PC with the third on the way, and are currently releasing the third Arc (Trails of Cold Steel I/II) for PS3/Vita. In doing so, they’ve skipped the second arc (Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure). They might bring them over in the future depending on sales.

Where to Start: Trails in the Sky FC on Steam, because that’s the beginning.

The Games:

Liberl: Trails in the Sky FC/SC/3rd (PC, PSP)
Crossbell: Trails to Zero/Trails to Azure (PSP, Vita, Japan only)
Erebonia: Trails of Cold Steel I/II (PS3, Vita)

Translation stuff:

In light of the lack of an official localization to date, a group has started a translation patch for Zero no Kiseki. One of the members of the group has subtitled a portion of a video walkthrough of the game, which can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhmVcOxWK0

Other Titles:

Ys vs Kiseki: Alternative Saga (PSP): A crossover fighting game between Falcom’s two flagships, running on the Ys VII engine. Japan only.

Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP): An action RPG with a focus on story. Not a part of the Kiseki series in any meaningful way despite the name, that’s a marketing ploy. Has a really low quality translation patch.

Legend of Heroes: 3-5 (PSP): The only Legend of Heroes games prior to the Trails series released in NA. Classic turn-based JRPG gameplay. The translation by Namco was notably poor.

Brandish (PSP): A 3d old-school dungeon crawler. Prepare to fall in holes

Xanadu Next (PC, N-Gage): A dark medieval action RPG. First released in NA for the N-Gage, XSeed is bringing over the PC version sometime in the future.

Tokyo Xanadu (Vita): A recent revival of the Xanadu series, TX is currently Japan only but was released very recently so it still could get localized.

And here is a big post about Falcom's older games courtesy of my friend Space Drake

SpaceDrake posted:

Dragon Slayer 4/Legacy of the Wizard: NES (c. 1989) - Where it began, for America. Giant gently caress-You Maze, The Game. You control four different heroes through a large platforming dungeon broken up into many screens, and each family member can reach different areas due to their different abilities. Noted for being one of Broderbund's only import titles and for the girl and the monsterdog being way OP.

Ys 1: Sega Master System, DOS (c.1989) - Not much to say, it's Ys 1 by itself. Didn't make much of a splash. The DOS version is interesting as it was produced exclusively for the overseas market and was, by appearances, published by a company Falcom was trying to establish as an overseas subsidiary (Kyodai Software Marketing), but Ys 1 was a total flop on the PC due to being a few years late in an era where that meant a lot.

Faxanadu: NES (c.1989) - More side-scrolling ARPG action, and the second Falcom game to come over by dint of being native to the NES and Nintendo themselves being interested in it.

Sorcerian: DOS (c. 1990) - Side-scrolling dungeon action with a party of your own creation. A good LP can be found here. Notable for being the only foray into game importation by Sierra Entertainment (yes, that Sierra) with a generally pretty good translation for the era as a result.

Tombs & Treasure/Asteka 2: NES (c. 1991) - Bit of an oddball adventure game. Came up quite often in Nintendo Power back in the day due to being a little oblique.

Ys 1&2 OG: TG16CD (c. 1991) - The first Ys release everyone remembers. It's bump-and-grind Ys, not much more to say. It does have a real all-star English cast for its day, which leads to the voicework generally being okay.

Ys 3 Wanderers: TG16CD, Genesis, SNES (c. 1991) - The first Falcom game to get a Truly Big Push at the dawn of the 16-bit era. What a loving choice that was - this game is a Not Very Good Platformer with rather janky physics and simple bosses. And since they redlined the VO budget on the previous game, the voicework in this game is hilariously bottom-barrel. LP available here.

Legend of Heroes 1: TG16CD (c. 1992) - MANKIND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE POISON. The first Legend of Heroes game, which is pretty much a Dragon Quest clone with lots of talking. A long way from here to Trails, for sure. The English version is famous for its legendarily overdone voicework - they were trying to make something cool, but the end result is amazing in a whole different way.

Brandish: SNES (c.1995) - The very first Brandish dungeon crawler. Infamous for being loving terrible, because the implementation of its unique camera system in this version was garbage and made the game a confusing mess.

Popful Mail: SegaCD (c. 1995) - Rescued from becoming Sister Sonic by Working Designs. A fun little platformer ARPG. Being a WD joint, the translation work is pretty solid for the era, and the voices are about what you could expect. Makes pretty good use of the Sega CD to be handsome, too.

e: the best kiseki protagnist is NOT dryzen. he's the worst

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I think trails in the sky should be in the name of the thread because people might want to talk about that game when it comes out and won't necessarily know this is a thread to do that in

fair point, i will pm a mod to have ys and trails added to the title

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah here is the 100% steam save for FC

http://www.filedropper.com/svdat024

e: save folder is Program Files (x86) > Steam > Userdata > 123895031 > 251150 > remote > fc

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 27, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cat doter posted:

someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

i'd say it's better, but other people might disagree, which is a borderline meaningless statement but it's how i feel

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only other movie is the teaser for the sequel at the very end, as well as the credits

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Man does Agate ever stop being such a wet blanket? He's easily my least favorite character of FC, and that tagline for SC of "go with Agate or Schera" doesn't even come close to making that choice difficult.

agate is my boyfriend

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he is the best for how people play off him. hes acts tough but then all that he gets is estelle calling him cute for it, the professor talking about how he looks like a chicken and accidentally insulting the queen as the very first thing he does when he meets her. estelle is right about him.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Has anyone mentioned price with SC? Trying to work out if I can squeeze in another game I won't play this month.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Agate is pretty workable in the last dungeon. He's tanky, has enough atk to do decent damage even with the high defense enemies and even the weaker wild rage makes it easy to get an S craft which is a pretty big AOE in his case

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah here's a 100% save for the PSP version

http://www.filedropper.com/ulus105400102

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not so much of a premium as to resort to using your fists ever

you also get unbreakable swords eventually, although always a few tiers below what the best around is.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat... still at work for 6 more hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

The moment is upon us.

I hope you all enjoy the game, legitimately. It has been a long, long time coming. I'll be around the thread, obviously, if there are questions.

Who is your favorite Love Live

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Finally... I'm off work

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

97%... only 3% stands before the end of my five year journey

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kevin is great already

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

Ugh, this game is so good. Estelle is so good. Anelace is so good. Music is so good. Cassius is so so good. Translation is so good. I don't want to stop playing!

Just want to say great work, SpaceDrake. This is some good poo poo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm playing the first TitS. Is there any particular way I should be distributing gems?

Not really as long as you're getting some form of magic. Time magic is the overpowered way to go

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Remember to thank BlondRobin too, none of this poo poo would've been remotely possible without him

Jess Chavez also did a ton of work on it once my motor coughed out, so save a ton of thanks for her too!

And all the other folks at XSEED who spent literal months QAing this rough beast of empire

And

look it was stupid big for everyone involved

On a different note: how are people liking Anelace's voice? It was recorded years ago now, before CF even came on the project, but I really rather liked it. It's one of the stronger battle performances in the game, I think.

I turned off battle voices since they drown out the music but what I heard was good

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Unleash the might of the cookie...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh man joshua is with the capuas, that's perfect.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Game would have been greatly improved if anelace hadn't been asking to be estelle's rival but rather what everyone else thought she was

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, I'm glad I picked Agate.

He's the best

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Well time to play poker forever

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Normally I'd agree but I can't break up Estelle and Joshua

agreed, actually

also (end of chapter 1) bleublanc and olivier getting into an argument about the nature of beauty was great. i am a fan of the enforcers so far.

Also, Space Drake/others involved on production end: At the end of the prologue, Lorence is called Loewe in his name tag, but after Chapter 1 he becomes "Lorence?" .Is that intentional or did the first scene accidentally use the wrong name tag, because it was kinda weird

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

Agreed. Her face in that scene is loving perfect.

bwuh?! why does your game look so bad, i think you're doing something wrong

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Figured it was a mistake

if it makes you slightly less bothered lorence's real name is basically the only SC thing i accidentally spoiled for myself so i already knew he was Loewe

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

whats the answer for the the last phantom thief sidequest in chapter 3?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i did as close to literally nothing but play sc today as is possible

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Levantine posted:

Ok, I'm just now getting to the game (I had to wrap up ToZ before I started TitS) - is it like the first with a ton of missable content? I'm mostly just concerned about getting enough BP for max rank and maybe the books for weapons.

it seems to be about the same except with more lenient sidequest deadlines

Zaggitz posted:

I'm still doing it.

edit: Man the end of Chapter 4 really pulls at the heart strings.

major feels

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm still doing it.

edit: Man the end of Chapter 4 really pulls at the heart strings.

Oh my god Olivier and Anton trying to create an anti drunkness potion to take on Aina. :allears:

you figure out where to fish for that sidequest? as the people who are way too far into this game, we need to stick together

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes please. or just tell me how you cheated, either works

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Oh haha i caught it like 10 minutes ago, I thought the game would tell me

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ahaha (chapter 5) of course cassius knows the loving dragon, why wouldn't he

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Chapter 5 makin me misty eyed about Agate what is even happening.

Chapter 5 was so epic

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bug report: im on the glorious in chapter 6 and for some reason the game will just stop letting me move sometimes, making me reload an autosave

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i beat chapter 6

:unsmith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Did that bug persist? I'm starting chap 6 now.

Yes but it's easily avoidable. There are barricades in the dungeon that rise up to block your path. But sometimes the animation doesn't play and you get stuck. Just don't approach them since you don't have to

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Not even emptyquoting a little bit.

I'm using cheat engine to 2x battles so it's okay. I've been forced to go to a movie with friends so I'm taking a break for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

SC Bracer posted:

how does one 2x battles? the speed of the game is the only thing that i actively dislike

I'm out and it's a little too complicated to phone post but I'll explain when I'm home again