Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Just based on random bits and clips I've seen of SC, it seems much harder, combat-wise.

There are some difficult parts, especially if you're unprepared (like the boss fight at the end of disk 1...), but most of that is in the first half of the game.
That's caused mainly by the increased mana cost of spells like earth wall and the AoE time spells and the fact that the shining poms are harder to find.

All bets are off in the endgame though.
You get huge amounts of mana, and there are some female only equipment pieces with +magic attack that turn Kloe into a murder machine.
The increased mana cost for earth wall doesn't even matter since they give you a character with an earth wall effect as an S-craft (that can take 2 hits at 200 CP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smenj posted:

Apparently it has a new system for chaining crafts (so you can have characters go one after another with their crafts, the later their go the more powerful the craft), and has rebalanced things a little so physical attackers are a bit better to use than they were in FC. Beyond that, no idea, hopefully someone who's played the game can chime in.

You can't just chain arbitrary crafts, it works like this:

One character initiates it and selects one or more other characters in range (you can only select one character at the beginning, it goes up as your level increases).
The character that initiates the attack uses pays 20 CP, the next one pays 30, then 40 and 50.
Then the selected characters get do do a physical AoE-attack. The radius goes up as you add more people.
All involved characters get moved back in the turn order.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

You will, I believe, miss one other tiny little bonus item during the prologue chapter. It's not really that much, but it's kind of nice to have.

That one item is a quartz (or accessory? I forgot) that raises item drop rates. It's kind of useful to get cooking ingredients, but nothing you can't live without.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There are no different endings, the only thing that changes is one scene at the end that changes with your bracer rank. And this time you need every single point for the highest rank.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Are there bp rewards in 3rd for maxing out in SC? I'm already aware of how different the setup is for that game so I cant really see it.

Yes, you get a CP-auto-regen accessory for A ranking SC, or a CP-rate-increasing accessory for B rank.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, they're called Seal of the Sun/Moon respectively. The gladiator items exist too, but you only get those later in the game.
I think you only get one, but I'll have to check my savegame.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

No, they're called Seal of the Sun/Moon respectively. The gladiator items exist too, but you only get those later in the game.
I think you only get one, but I'll have to check my savegame.

You do get both of them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Munin posted:

Quick thing about the magic descriptions. What does Sylpharion actually do? It is marked as "Support" but has no effect noted for it. It is either missing that or it is a damage or healing spell and should have been marked as such.

Buff spell, it increases your movement range by 2.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Until the end of chapter 3. Yes, and chapter 3 is the same location too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

honestly i think the 2x figure comes from the script and is inflated by stuff like the agate/schera split. unless the last two or three chapters (i'm in 8, not sure if 9 or 10 is the last) take disproportionately long i won't hit 70 and there's a lot of fat that could have been trimmed off my playthrough since i've been doing 90% of the sidequests blind

Chapter 8 can use a lot of time if you want all the sidequests.
They unlock the whole map, and you need to visit every single city at least twice to get everything.
And you don't get an airship or other form of fast transportation, it's all on foot.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

The entire end of chapter 8 is basically the most insane poo poo I've seen a jrpg attempt to do plotwise, and it pulls it off without a goddamn hitch.

One question though, do you gain any bp whatsoever in chapter 9? Because if not... 370/380 :negative:

No. If you have the highest rank at that point, the scene changes slightly. There are no more BP after that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i beat the game. finally, after nearly 5 years, i am free

with some insane mcguffin that could probably have a game built around it.

Well, he IS the main character of the third game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

yeah it does, estelle isn't even the main character in 3rd anymore, 3rd follows everyone's new friend Kevin.

The story of Estelle and Joshua ends conclusively, but (SC endgame) the story of Estelle, Joshua and Renne is continued in The 3rd and continues in the Crossbell games.

That said, The 3rd is still mostly side material.
It's set 3 months after the end of SC, and the main story focuses on Kevin and his past. Throughout the whole game, you can enter "doors" that start various scenes, most of them quite long. Every playable character gets at least one door, and some get multiple ones.
Those scenes are mainly deeper looks into the past of some characters (you get to play as Schera as a Junior Bracer and learn how she met Aina, see Kloe just after she entered the school, and there's a really adorable childhood episode with Estelle and Joshua...), or show what the characters did after the end of SC (Tita and Agate build an Orbal Gear, basically a mech suit, the Capuas start a courier business...), some worldbuilding (documents on the bracer guild and on Orbments) and some foreshadowing for the Crossbell/Cold Steel games.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I'm finally playing SC. What does getting max BP get you this time around? I'm obviously not going for it first time around since it basically requires guides and that's boring, but I might go for a second playthrough, especially with the route split it should be entertaining enough. I only went for max BP in the first game with the knowledge that most if not all of the sidequests would pay off at least a bit in the sequel but since there's no direct sequel this time, is there an ingame reward, or is it just "Good job!"?

Estelle being smug in a scene at the end of chapter 8, an armor with a ton of defense, and a better item at the start of the third game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Saralene posted:

For some games these milestones are never reached for some reason even if they sell beyond that point. I'm not sure why, considering the way it gathers its data.

SteamSpy can only extrapolate from visible profiles, so if the game is more/less popular among users who hide their profiles, the stats are wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SorcerousHam posted:

I have to say that I was very satisfied with the ending of FC because it gave you time to savour what you had accomplished before springing the hook for the next chapter.

The ending to SC by comparison though felt really abrupt and unfulfilling. While the story was at its heart about Joshua and Estelle, their growth and journey, and should probably finish with what they were going off to do like it did - what about the rest of the loving cast? One or two pictures in the ending credits doesn't really cut it. Show us at least some of the rebuilding and what they're up to if they don't want to comit to something like "so and so went off to do XYZ". I mean a loving giant floating city just fell apart and crashed into the middle of the kingdom so SOMETHING interesting could've been shown in the conclusion relating to that and what the rest of the cast was doing regarding it.

There's a third game that focuses on the other characters, but it's very unlikely that it'll be translated this decade, if ever.