Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah, the lack of "mwahaha I win anyways because I am evil" in Ys has always been a point in its favor in my eyes. Trails, on the other hand, I just can't get into. I feel like I'm missing something with TitS because I got a couple hours in maybe and just dropped it out of boredom. Is there a specific point where it gets good that I should power through to, or is Trails just not for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I've never much cared for superhero comics. Maybe I'll give Trails another shot after I get through Ys 7 and 8. Thanks for the advice and opinions folks.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I keep hoping that Falcom will pick 5 for the next remake so that Western players can finally own the whole series. If they do that and actually port/translation 9, it would be the first time the whole series was available to Western gamers since before the original 4s were released, as far as I'm aware.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Karna was pretty cool. She felt like the one particularly memorable Celceta party member. I kind of remembered her Dawn of Ys incarnation, though, which made it kind of weird because she's so different.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

After bouncing off it a while back, I came back around to Trails in the Sky FC and man I just adore Estelle. She's a really good character and it's great seeing her grow and mature throughout the game. I haven't finished FC yet, but assuming I'm here for Estelle, what other Trails games should I play? Is it just FC and SC for Estelle-focused games?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Just finished Trails in the Sky FC and... I *immediately* bought SC and 3rd. This makes me a sucker but I need closure after that ending.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

SC has been my chill and play before bed game for the past week or so and it works really well for that so far. Just finished Chapter 2. I have a feeling this game is gonna be long.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

A friend of mine is playing CS3 right now while I play Sky SC and when I mentioned Bleublanc he was like "oh that guy! Yeah he shows up in this game too." So yeah he's definitely there.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Trails is really good at making you at least tolerate things you hate.

I keep coming back to the fact that Sky has gotten me invested in the Estelle/Joshua romance and not hating it despite the fact they're adopted siblings. I would normally despise that in just about anything else. Between that and the fact that I like Olivier despite him being an archetype I usually find tiresome at best, Falcom's character writing can apparently get almost anything past me.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I just finished Chapter 6 of SC last night. Falcom are amazing and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect moment than Estelle and Joshua's reunion. I can't believe there's still two whole chapters to go. :psyduck:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I just got to Chapter 8, and as soon as they hit me with the Arts won't work thing I just went "maybe I'll get to this tomorrow instead." I'm about 100 hours deep into the series at this point and I'm definitely looking to play something else for a bit before I move on to 3rd, if only to take a break from the intensity of SC's story.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

In general I feel like the endings of Falcom games tend to be pretty dragged out. You reach a point and think you're an hour or two from the ending and then the game goes for 5-8 more hours. That's been a pretty consistent experience with their games I think as long as I've been playing them.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I didn't discover the turbo button until chapter 5 of Sky SC. I played FC entirely without turbo. It probably helps that I treated the games like a little bedtime story I was telling myself each evening.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hoo boy made it through the "World Tour" section of chapter 8 of SC. That was a solid 10 hours or so! It was really nice to catch up with everyone though, especially Ellie and Armand. The wedding was really nice, and a great cap-off to their story. My girlfriend's been watching along and we also both immediately noted that neither Joshua or Estelle protested or got embarrassed when the priest implied that he would be doing that again for them soon. The slow development and maturation of the characters in this game is just so good.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I hope you went back to the school

Yes! I've had a guide open to check for missables. I've so far gotten every BP in the game.

Edit: or should I go back to the school again before heading to Grancel? :ohdear:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

It occurs to me that I don't know if this kind of bloggy post is really welcome in this thread, but nobody's complained at me yet?

Josette joined my party. I tried to use her but dear god she just sucks so much. Her physical attacks are bad, her arts damage sucks, and she doesn't appear to have an S-Craft at all. I used her until I pushed forward to the next checkpoint and then immediately swapped Agate back in. My Estelle/Joshua/Agate/Kloe team is putting out insane damage and it makes me giggle watching how nastily they blow up enemies.

I'm guessing I'm only a few hours away from the ending now, but I'm usually wrong about that when I say something like that in a Falcom game and they usually throw a last-minute twist that takes several more hours to resolve. It's kind of nuts how everything you need to know about what's going on at this point is hidden away in reading the data crystal transcriptions on the CAPEL. Someone who didn't check everything constantly would have no idea what was going on at this point.

I also ran into a weird problem where, when I was trying to interact with one of the computer terminals on Liber Ark, it wouldn't accept input from my gamepad and I had to walk over to my computer and use the mouse. Very weird and for a bit I was convinced I'd run into some kind of showstopping bug until I remembered to try the mouse.

Finally, and this is a shot in the dark: can anyone vouch for the effectiveness of this guide from Reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/8wr4h5/guide_on_how_to_install_zero_no_kiseki_on_macos/ I run Linux as my primary desktop OS and would prefer not to have to boot into Windows if I can help it. I've still got 3rd ahead of me before I even think about Zero, and I plan on taking a break between SC and 3rd to play something else, but I'll get there eventually.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

That's SC finished for me. I genuinely think, put together, what I've been thinking of in my head as the Bright Duology may be the best darn JRPG I've played in... maybe ever. I got started on this series partially due to people in this thread and their passion for the games, so thanks everyone! I'll get around to 3rd eventually but for now I think I need to play something that isn't a long, slow-paced, story-rich RPG for a while.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I've only played Sky but the feeling in Liberl of being in the middle of an industrial revolution where things are in flux, feudalism was only recently abolished, (within the last century or so if I remember the school play stuff right) and the convenience of Orbal tech stands right next to a lot of very pastoral fantasy stuff was really cool and I loved it. So knowing that it shifts much more in favor of robots and Anime Sci-Fi is a bummer.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I started 3rd and despite hearing from people repeatedly how different it is I don't think anything could've prepared me. This is an astonishingly different game from the two that came before. I'm enjoying it so far, but man, Kevin is a *way* weaker character to center a narrative around than Estelle was. Maybe my opinion will change by the end but that's definitely my biggest complaint so far.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm definitely warming to 3rd, but I have to wonder how much of that is the fact that I got Estelle into my.party last night. It's fantastic how much the crew cares about each other and the writing actually supports what it tells you about the characters through informed attributes. Also that door for Estelle and Joshua about the first few weeks Joshua was at the Bright household was genuinely some of the most heartwarming cute poo poo I've ever seen in a video game.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm progressing well on my playthrough of Sky 3rd and man that fight with Cassius Bright was no freaking joke. It felt real appropriate that I had Estelle finish him off with her S-Craft. I can see why this game is widely considered the hardest of the Sky games. Some of these fights are not loving around.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Finished 3rd today. I did come around on Kevin a bit eventually, but I still feel like Estelle was a much stronger character and protagonist, and was more invested in the part of the ending about her, Joshua, and Renne than the stuff with Kevin. Now I have to ponder whether to buy Cold Steel or Zero next.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Sankis posted:

Finally getting around to finishing Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

jesus loving christ, Star Door 15.

Yeah I don't think anything else in the series came even close to preparing me for that. Just horrible stuff.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

This might not actually be the right place to ask this, but I went and bought Trails from Zero. The game runs fine by itself on Linux but I cannot get the English patcher to work. I even tried running the English patcher in windows and then transferring the patched install to my Linux drive. No dice. I'm playing on Windows, but would prefer to be not have to reboot into Windows every time I want to play. Anybody got experience with getting the Geofront patcher working on Linux?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm glad to hear that Tio gets better, because I'm at the beginning of Chapter 2 of Zero and she has just not clicked with me as a character at all. Lloyd is clever and figures things out, Randy is Olivier but not as endearing, Elie is just kind of inoffensive, but Tio leaves me cold so far.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Celceta is a real good game. Rivals Felghana for my favorite Ys game.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I haven't found compelling reasons to keep moving forward with Trails from Zero. Part of that is just I have to reboot into Windows every time I want to play it, but part of it is I'm just not in love with the SSS. They're all fine enough, I guess, but they don't feel as special to me as the Liberl crew did and I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my losses and move on. I really want to see how the Estelle/Joshua/Renne stuff turns out though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

To respond to the people who asked, I'm in Chapter 2 of Zero, and the last plot thing I did was unlocking Lloyd and Ellie's craft combo thing, a sequence that just kind of made me groan in dismay.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Estelle owns
Hell yeah :hai:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No chest jokes which is a tremendous missed opportunity.

This is the worst thing I've heard about the game so far.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

You can generally depend on video game developers to not have competent programmers. I feel like this goes double for Japanese devs, and double again for *small* Japanese devs like Falcom.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Estelle really was a fluke, wasn't she? :sigh:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

This moment, and the ensuing "Please stop looking at me like that" from Joshua are strong contenders for some of my favorite moments in Sky.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

The same thing happened to me with Zero that originally did with Sky. I played it for a bit, went "Ehhhh I'm not really into this," put it down for months, then came back and started playing again and went "WTF this rules." I'm in Chapter 4 at this point and I feel constantly underlevelled and underpowered, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

PS: for anybody else who might, like me, be playing on Linux, the latest version of the Geofront patcher works way nicer on Linux than the previous version did.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

This reminds me that I recently finished Ys 8 and thought it was kinda cool that one of the party members was a 40-something dad. More age variety in JRPG characters please, it's fun.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Ah. The Bethesda approach. Of course.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I just reached the final chapter of Trails from Zero and I'm getting that vague reluctance of not wanting to keep playing just because I don't want it to end. This game kind of crept up on me. No one character charms me as much as Estelle did in the Sky trilogy, but the SSS are such a great ensemble and I love their interactions.

Game's good.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

infraboy posted:

You're really just going to love everyone more once you get to the end. including Estelle

Be ready to jump straight into Azure because things get even more tense

Holy cow you were right. Downloading Azure now. My slow-rear end internet will surely be done with it... some time today.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Do you have a pad plugged in and/or enabled? That might cause it not to display the mouse cursor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Anybody else had a problem with Azure crashing on launch? I get the opening Falcom logo, title screen, and then when I bring up the menu, it crashes.

Edit: It crashes right here.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 4, 2021