Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Starting up Legend of Nayuta. Seems neat so far, should I be wary of hidden requests? I know this is supposed to be closer to older Oath Ys mechanically, but iirc even Oath in Felghana had sidequests with cutoff windows you’d only find if you did the rounds talking to NPCs intermittently.

There is a couple of hidden requests, though if you talk to everyone in the town after the letter icon pops you should grab them easy enough.
Certain quests are new game plus locked, so you can't get them all in in a fresh playthrough anyway.
Thankfully there isn't a lot of hidden requests, but almost every quest is locked to the chapter you get it in.
Though if you're worried about it, I'll spoiler some specifics here chapter 2, the doctor, Eartha(NG+ only) and visiting the Terra map in the after-story are the only secret quests and the only quests you can wait on are new game plus quests to beat the bonus bosses.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc even the OG Ys 1/2 were always meant to be a single thing, right? I get a game spiraling out of control of the original conceit, and I don’t even blame Falcom for letting that happen with Cold Steel 1/2 since it was a move from the standard 3D chibi sprite models they’d been using since Sky FC to full, non-simplified Ys 7/Nayuta 3D models on top of making a wholeass game on its own merits. Honestly it’s kinda admirable as much as it is foolhardy, like a lot of people have voiced their discontent about Cold Steel IV, but it’s way more common to hear about how much cool stuff/story ideas got cut from a given game than devs making an epilogue that’s a thinly veiled excuse to further explore characters.

Nayuta thoughts, as of Chapter 1: drat this poo poo is brisk. A little on the easy side even on Hard but this weird mashup of Old Ys/Trails/Modern Ys is extremely my jam. It only takes ten minutes to make the NPC rounds!

Kinda wish they either had less voice acting or more though, just commit one way or another Falcom. or maybe NIS America but knowing Oddly Silent Rean is a thing and all I’m betting it’s just Falcom. Glad we got a port of this PSP game people were hardly clamoring for though, it’s most of what I wanted, especially after 190+ hours across Zero To Azure.

Nayuta bares its fangs later, you have almost no I-frames, so a single bad judgement can end your run, especially against certain bosses and everything on infinite mode.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Making headway in Nayuta Infinite mode, still can't kill any of the new tough enemies but I've three starred the first set of NG+ stages so that's something. The tough enemy issue isn't that they kill me in one hit, though they do, it's that I barely do any damage to them.

Yeah that's the real reason you shouldn't start the next runthrough on infinite, the stuff you unlock from the stages is needed to make it through them in a reasonable amount of time.
Also the enemies aggressively level scale with you so leveling doesn't help at all, it'll become more manageable once you get access to all the NG+ perks and any remaining equipment left.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So I'm following this website https://www.digitalemelas.com/index_ys.php#order, but I was wondering what order people played the Ys games in? Debating about either release path but I'm not too sure.

The only "required" one is 1 into 2, otherwise it's not that important.
Though playing in order will have some of the call backs make more sense, and origins is best left for after 1&2 for minor spoiler and reference reasons if you're playing all of them anyway.
Otherwise, playing them in release order also has them improving as you go, instead of playing say Lacrimosa and then going back to Seven.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 1, 2024

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Either I’m missing something or is Ark of Naphitsm’s Hard Mode is hosed balanced-wise? Hard in Oath/Origins felt like the “just right” settings aside from a few bosses, but this feels like a mess. The game recently suggested that I get a bell to make the Limewater Cave’s most dangerous enemies (Dark Adols that do half your health in one swing) but to get the bell you need to beat a bee that takes one damage and hits for 40% of your health, or 60% if the rocket stinger hits you. Did anyone else have these sorts of problems? I grinded a bunch and the EXP rate has slowed significantly down so I don’t think I’m doing it wrong unless I overlooked another area.

Napishtim is rough at points on the harder difficulties, the bell is for the various shelled creatures in the cave, the bee is kinda rough, it might be better just finding something you can reliably kill in the cave for levels.
You'll need an item called the rainbow fragment to make the mimics more manageable (it's found in the Ruins of Amnesia if you haven't got it yet).

The level thing is even more stark in Napishtim, because the stat tuning is so tight, in the later ports the "Calamity Mode" (not being allowed to hold any healing items and all random healing items in chests being replaced with non-functional Capla Waters) is much easier in the long run because they replaced the healing items in the shops with stat items.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 10, 2024