Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
There are a couple hand held PC's in the works right now I'm considering purchasing that are supposed to support Steam. Would Trails 3rd chapter be playable on one of these, or would the screen likely be too small to read/see anything? I'm going to buy it day one regardless, but I played FC and SC on PSP and I prefer to play Chapter 3 on a handheld as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Yeah, if the device is running Windows 10, there has to be a way to change the resolution. The first two games were so great I will play 3rd Chapter no matter what, but I'd really like to be able to play it on my commute without dragging around a laptop.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I’ve played Sky First & Second Chapter and I’m curious about where to go from here. Should I start Cold Steel Part I or continue waiting for Sky Third Chapter? Does Cold Steel spoil anything from Third Chapter?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

the main thing that ties into 3rd a lot is a NG+ sidequest in 2, although 3rd also introduces gilliath and gives more insight into him and olivier.

I don't think you'd need to wait for 3rd, but it's also close enough by now that unless you're dying to jump into Cold Steel you may as well wait.

Thanks, I'm going to wait for 3rd. That will also lessen the time I'll have to wait between CS2 & 3.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

and during that time the Zero patch is likely to drop!

Would the patch just be for PC or PSP as well? Or something else?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I bought a mini-laptop last fall solely for Tits 3rd. Download complete, hope it works!

Edit: Windowed mode is way too small on my mini-laptop and the screen is displayed vertically instead of horizontally when I turn windowed mode off. Is there a setting under the Display tab in the Configuration screen that can fix this?

Edit #2: Never mind, I found a resolution that fixed it.

hepcat fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 4, 2017

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I'm just starting Chapter 3 of 3rd, and wow this is really getting interesting. I'd assumed it was common knowledge that Kevin straight up executed Weissman at the end of Second Chapter but apparently not...

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
TiTS 3rd end game: what's going on with the giant shining pom and his minions at the bottom of the Abyss (Chapter 7)? My 4 characters are at level 135, I buffed Julia and used her S-craft with 200CP and it did no damage. How do you kill them? Is a particular character required?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

poe meater posted:

Gonna take it slow and probably take like a year to beat it. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm looking forward to a post from you saying how glad you are that you're able to start SC immediately. :)

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
It sure looks like I missed out on the Trails to Azure Special Edition for the Switch. I got the SE of Trails to Zero, but despite checking fairly regularly I never heard about Azure going up for pre-orders. When did it happen and is there anywhere I could still find it?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Thanks for the tip; I'm signed up now.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
With Trails to Azure out and my copy on the way, I finally started Trails to Zero on my Switch this week. I am still in the prologue, but so far I love everything about this game.

The controls are intuitive, it looks amazing, and I found all four members of the new main team to be immediately likeable. The voice acting was also unexpected and very welcome. It's too early to tell where the story is going, but I like the idea of making the Bracer Guild, which is portrayed throughout the Sky trilogy as an admirable if imperfect organization, a potential foil without turning them into complete jerks.

Without getting into spoilers can someone give me an idea about how hard it is to miss quests in this game compared to the Sky games? Also, it seems like the vast majority of assignments should come from the SSS orbal computer terminal and the Crossbell Bracer guild office. Are there a significant number of others you can get by just walking around and talking to people?

Thanks!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Quick Zero question. Will an item that protects against death blows protect you from the vanish attack? I can only recall seeing that in a couple Sky 2 and 3 battles at the very end, and drat, it is really annoying. In Zero, it first shows up at the end of chapter 2!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

Erpy posted:

Those two statuses are separate things altogether and the accessory that protects against the former doesn't shield you from the latter. In fact, there's no way to protect yourself from the latter, even with the grail locket. Stuff to counteract the latter status wasn't introduced until the Cold Steel games.

I was afraid of that. Thanks!

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I'm near the end of Chapter 2 of Azure. SSS spoke to Osbourne and terrorists attacked the conference shortly thereafter.

Some questions and a comment here. I could Google this to remind myself of the details, but I'm trying to avoid major spoilers and don't want to accidentally uncover too much info.

Do Trails SC and TC specify how much Osbourne knew about the attack on Hamel? Do we learn more about this in subsequent games? If Osbourne did know, it's going to be pretty drat ironic watching the SSS protect someone who caused Joshua so much pain, especially after he and Estelle became such good friends with the team in Zero.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Azure Chapter 3. End of Day 2. Super demon Wald is really annoying. I'm sure it's possible to beat him, but is it worth the trouble? Do you get anything for it besides shutting his arrogant rear end up for a few seconds? Difficulty is set to Hard, if it matters.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Regarding Demon Wald. After several more tries, I got him down to about 80% before getting wiped out. I'd have to go back several saves to gather additional firepower, so I just decided to move on. Not worth it for 2 additional DP when I have no interest in a 100% clear of this game.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Azure, end of Chapter 4. Massive spoilers below; you’ve been warned!

Wow, I’m genuinely in shock about the reveal that Arios killed Guy. Arios’ casual admission of the act, almost as if his brother’s murder is something Lloyd shouldn’t even care about, was genuinely chilling.

I remember thinking on a few occasions that Arios’ behavior seemed a little off, but it makes sense if he’s been working with the Crois family all along.

I wonder if the writers were trying to draw a parallel with Cassius, to suggest that Cassius could have and perhaps would have followed a similar path if Estelle had been killed or permanently disabled in the incident that killed his wife.

Anyway, I’m gonna take a day or two away from the game before continuing. I’m feeling a bit emotionally drained after that last scene.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

GateOfD posted:

argh, the last boss in azure suck rear end

I don't know exactly how far you got so, spoilers.

The fight is divided into three parts with no break. The first part is tough but doable if you're patient. I can't get past the second part even after watching videos of people clearing it on nightmare. I finally put it down out of frustration for a while.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I finally made it to the 3rd part of the final Azure boss fight.After taking off about 40% of its HP, it cast Argent Ark when I had no protection up which wiped me out.

If any one else is stuck here, this latest round of attempts gave me a few ideas that should be emphasized even if they have already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

First, be very careful not to kill all four of the balloon monsters accompanying this boss. Kill three and keep the last one alive at all cost. You may want turn off S-Breaks that attack everything on the screen and switch to ones that cover a smaller area. (Stuff like Zero Field would be excluded from this, obviously.)

Second, equip items that block burn, seal, and mute. Don't bother with anything that blocks death blows, I've never been hit by one in dozens of attempts on this fight. If you have one or more grail lockets, use them in one slot and use the other for anything that increases arts strength.

Third, If I were starting over, I'd save every burst orb I had for this fight. Unfortunately I'm stuck with just three. Any save slot with more is way too far back so those three will have to do.

Fourth, the spread your team out so the boss uses almost every move canceling arts strategy is kind of cheesy, but I think it will eventually work.

Question: Does A-Reflex work on this boss? It would be enormously satisfying if the boss tried its Argent Ark attack again if even one member of my team had A-Reflex in place.

hepcat fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 2, 2023

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The spoiler tag should have started after the end of your first sentence, as otherwise it's not clear what game you're spoiling without reading the spoiler tag.

After reading it again, you're right. Sorry about that.

I'm playing on Hard. Big mistake for a first time play of Azure.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Azure finale again: I used burst too early and couldn't finish the fucker off. It then used "Interdimensional Collapse" on me with about 10% HP left. Whatever, I've almost got it. Resisting against burn, seal, and mute makes it so much more manageable.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Final Azure boss and overall thoughts on the Crossbell duology.

For part 3 of the final boss, I can’t stress enough how important it is to have someone prepping an art when the boss’s turn is up. Once he’s at 50% or lower, if there is no spell to block he’ll take two turns; the first will nullify any protection you have set up and the second will launch an attack that almost wipes you out. (On Nightmare I imagine it does wipe you out.)

I finally got him, but outside of rhythm games like IIDX, Azure’s final boss was the most frustrating experience I’ve had playing a video game in many years. Possibly decades. I wonder if Interdimensional Collapse ever comes back as a boss move or if that was just a one time “gently caress you” thrown in by the devs to amuse themselves.

As for the ending, everyone got a big emotional reunion with Kea but I was surprised at how abrupt it was overall. Seeing Erebonia quickly move in and occupy Crossbell is a real bummer especially given how arrogant the Erebonians have been portrayed as being thus far in the series. I assume the story will follow up on this at some point in the Cold Steel games.

Azure is the first Trails game I played on Hard difficulty for my first playthrough. For a person who is more interested in the characters and overall lore of the series than in figuring out the gimmick(s) needed to beat certain enemies, this was a huge mistake. I found Zero to be quite reasonable on Normal difficulty except for a couple battles at the end so I didn’t think Hard would be such a step up in Azure. Boy was I wrong. I really started getting bogged down in Chapter 4 with the **** jaeger***** battles and it only got worse from there. If/when I play these games again to see stuff I missed the first time, I’ll probably play them on Easy.

Overall, despite the complaints I’ve made here about some of the battles I loved these games and would give them both a 9 out of 10. I’ve managed to avoid major Cold Steel spoilers, but I do know that most of the Crossbell characters do show up in later games. Without exception, I’ll be happy to see them when they do.

Gonna break out the Vita soon for Cold Steel 1 and 2.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I bought Cold Steel 1 and 2 years ago for Vita figuring that Zero and Azure would eventually get localized. I have a Steam Deck, but unless people are telling me the Vita ports are unplayable I don't see a need to buy the games again.

Edit: I noticed that both games are on sale on Steam right now, but the last of four updates CS1 got dropped in November of 2018. Have there been substantial updates since then?

hepcat fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 12, 2023

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
Quick question for someone just starting out the Cold Steel games. (I'm near the end of CS1 Chapter 1.)

There are 9 characters in this game, and maybe more if guest characters show up later. Should I be focusing on opening up all the orbment slots for all nine characters, or just the 4 or 5 I really like? At this point it does not look like the game is handing out enough resources to open up all the slots for everyone.

If it matters, I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I just finished CS1. A few comments, some spoilered just in case.

First of all, Emma is best girl.

Reviewing this game is kind of like trying to judge an entire book based on its introduction. Therefore, rather than focus on the story, I’ll stick to comments about other aspects of the game for now.

Characters: I didn’t find myself immediately liking the new characters as I did in the Sky and Crossbell games. Jusis and Machias in particular were really annoying early on and Fie struck me as a clone of Tio without the personality. Also, Alisa’s grudge against Rean for the first couple chapters of the game was ridiculous. Each of the characters slowly grew on me, however, as their backstories and motivations became more clear. It will be interesting going forward to see how these characters react to the dire situation they find themselves in.

Combat: I appreciated the overhaul of the quartz system. It was much easier to pick the move set you want and thank goodness slots now only need to be opened once, not opened and then upgraded once or twice to use the more powerful quartz. I was less impressed with the link and unbalance system. Linking with another character was no problem, but the unbalance system was so confusing that I wound up ignoring it and simply using an extra attack with my linked character whenever one happened to pop up. I can only recall using a burst attack once or twice in the entire game.

Also, holy poo poo, Laura is an absolute beast in this game! Once you put the Domination quartz on her it’s almost not fair.

Voice Acting: A lot better than I expected. I think the standout was Instructor Sara’s VA. She was perfect. I planned to switch to the Japanese VA’s as soon as that became an option in this series. Now I’m not sure. I will try both for a couple hours in CS2 and see which I like better.

Platform going forward: I played CS1 on the Vita. It was an OK experience,and honestly had I played the game right when I first bought a Vita, I probably would have been thrilled. However, CS2 was on sale for 50% off on Steam recently and I decided to grab it. It will be worth it for the larger screen, better performance and additional language options.

One more thing. Now that I’ve played both Crossbell games and CS1, I think the Crossbell games absolutely should be played first. I lost track of the times in CS1 where someone references something that just happened in Crossbell and I knew immediately what the game was talking about. The last two chapters of CS1, in particular, must have been extremely confusing for players unfamiliar with the Crossbell arc.

In conclusion, Emma is best girl!

To avoid burnout, I’m going to play an unrelated game or VN between each Trails game. At my current pace, I hope to be caught up around the time Daybreak 2 releases in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
I'm early in CS2 and I find it amusing that Celine, who spent all of CS1 except for the very end pretending to be an ordinary housecat, is now happily chatting with General Vander and a dozen other people about the state of the war in the Nord highlands. Whatever, game is still fun and I'm enjoying it.