Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/games/282440/announcements/detail/101688990770553028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's out. Restart Steam.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My mind is blown right now.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Basically now quake live is 10 dollars on steam fully featured unless you've paid for a pro subscription before or something.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Basically now quake live is 10 dollars on steam fully featured unless you've paid for a pro subscription before or something.

What did you have to pay before?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't remember but this is crazy.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This is pretty cool cause before you had to pay to play real game modes.

Soral
May 30, 2009

hell yeah. Hell yeah!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doppelganger 2 hours ago
What the hell did you guys do to the mechanics of the game? It feels very different, and not in a good way. Word to the wise - if it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT. You took a good game with tried and true mechanics and jacked it all up. Way to go

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

Doppelganger 2 hours ago
What the hell did you guys do to the mechanics of the game? It feels very different, and not in a good way. Word to the wise - if it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT. You took a good game with tried and true mechanics and jacked it all up. Way to go

I'm not sure what that guy's talking about unless he's someone who didn't know about bunny hopping in Q3 or hates to see it be accepted as integral to the game or someone who wishes rails still did 100 damage or something like that, frankly.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Or I guess he doesn't like the token attempt they made at bridging the most unintuitive technical gap between older and newer players by letting you just hold down the jump button to go not even close to as fast as just a basic strafe jump. I don't know. Maybe he liked how crazy vanilla quake 3 feels and looks. Maybe in the past couple months they did actually completely overhaul the game like he seems to suggest.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just thought that guy was a retard lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

From his steam avatar and how much time he spent playing the rerelease of Rise of the Triad I'm going to guess he misses when no one knew how to play quake and now the only way people play it is like they know the basic idea.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bigtime knows what he's talking about when it comes to arena shooters guy here. You guys completely hosed over this awesome classic from my childhood. [OOC: *remembers the prospector post about shooting 1000 rockets from pillars to bridge and hearing the direct hit thunk and saying out loud "I always knew I was psychic"*

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

wow, i might play some quake live later if i dont have to pay for it (subscribed once 5 years ago)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

yah it might be time for an impzone quake party

tomorrow

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm booting it up to see what's up and it's wild. But people in chat are complaining about the speed being different or something so I don't know. Haven't played for myself yet.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They have like 6 different fonts going on to try to modernize the look or make it look slightly more like steam but it just looks crazy.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You can make your ingame name whatever though now. And there's VAC poo poo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My hud is all jacked up. And the UI is hosed overall.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

My hud is all jacked up. And the UI is hosed overall.

I assume every single aspect of the UI is alterable?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

O___________O it has voice chat now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

O___________O it has voice chat now.

woah

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know what's up with the UI and HUD stuff now but it's different and it's like the trackmania people designed it lol.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

So it's only 10 bucks if you haven't played before?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Kazvall posted:

So it's only 10 bucks if you haven't played before?

I guess.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

I don't know what's up with the UI and HUD stuff now but it's different and it's like the trackmania people designed it lol.

lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I've never spent a dime on the Live version, so this is what I'm going to assume.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

part of my love of quake was the l;ack of voice chat

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

just serenely cruising around maps landing epic rockets and rails with only the sounds of gunfire ftw

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well you can turn the voice chat off.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoy the unabashed groaning of my victims over voice.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Sorry about the crappy steam jpeg stuff. It does feel a little different but I haven't played a FPS in like 3 months so it might be that also.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well, I'm downloading now. Will play some tomorrow. I should know right away if they hosed with speed or air variables.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My theory is that it's still like 4 people working on this and none of them know how to do UI anymore so they just left the placeholder rectangle UI in there.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Might boot up q3 on another comp to do a side by side.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I guess keep in mind you can change all the physics a little bit for Start A Server, though they might have tweaked them a bit themselves so I don't know.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Well you can turn the voice chat off.

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Whoa, servers have variable physics? Neat.

• Locked thread