Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Xelkelvos posted:

Question: What do the kanji in "Shinka" mean when they use it in the date cards? Showa (昭和) means radiant peace or harmony from what I can gather from Wikipedia

神化? Apotheosis, to be brief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
You think they would know that jet fuel can't melt steel clad beasts.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It really hard to get all of the political parallels from this series without having actually studied 20th Century Japanese History. Okinawan occupation by the US parallels the real world one and in some instances Kaiju (the Sub uses Beast) mean Nuclear Power, but could also represent personal rights as the beast attacks probably correlate with the various student and labor protests happening at the time (Jiro's first encounter is in 1960 and the episode takes place in 1968).

This is definitely Japanese Watchmen.

Question: What do the kanji in "Shinka" mean when they use it in the date cards? Showa (昭和) means radiant peace or harmony from what I can gather from Wikipedia

With the wide variety of superhumans and monsters, it feels a bit more like Anime Planetary.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Caught up with the 5th episode. It's true, this one really does need a four-episode test... Plot is getting interesting, there's deception left and right, and there's the occasional cool action scene. My main problem with the series so far is that it doesn't look that good, honestly, but I think I can overlook that and appreciate the great bits. The timejumps are starting to get interesting too.

So, if I got this right... the Bureau wanted the Beast Groupies to experiment, to create an enemy for superhumans & introduce them to society. Hence fox lady being undercover. Newest beast gets used as a symbol for people fed up with society, to the point that some actually WANT it to go on a rampage (which explains the bit with the flashlights). Strange stuff.

Definitely gonna need some reading and/or thread assistance with all the historical allusions in the future, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pretty much a standalone episode this week, but still with some familiar faces.

But jeez, :rip: Dee I guess? They were sure awful casual about that. I kinda thought he might turn up in the Bureau after taking that opportunity to fake his death or something.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I liked this one. Rather whimsical, and it's funny seeing those dudes totally SUCK at being superheroes. :haw: I also really liked the band leader's attitude!

But, yeah. :rip: Dee. What the hell was up with that? "Oh, and give us that advance payment to cover for his funeral costs!" :haw: WHAT THE HELL? That entire thing was played like a joke, where the dude stands up in the end covered in soot and they all have a laugh about it, but nope, he's DEAD. What?
Seriously... WHAT?

Who knows, maybe all four of those dudes will show up again at some point. I hope they do.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm still getting rather confused by all things. Does anyone have a quick overview of the different factions and their goals?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dee... :qq:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

nielsm posted:

I'm still getting rather confused by all things. Does anyone have a quick overview of the different factions and their goals?

Gonna blatantly steal this from reddit and assume it's correct.

Updated Timeline:
Note: Shinka Calendar seems to correspond to the Showa Calendar. Year 1 = 1925, final year = 1989, year 19 = 1944, or World War 2.
  • October 14 - Jiro's father meets GaGon in the Pacific Isles, loses "Maria", a native shapeshifter? A month after World War 2 broke out. Episode 4.

• August 17 - GaGon faces off against American Superhumans in the Pacific Ocean. 9 months after Pearl Harbor.

• Year 19 - A war of some sort (World War 2's equivalent). Referenced in episode 3.

• November 29 - Invisible Kaiju appears, Emi chooses to appear as an adult, Jiro's father finds him naked and unconscious. Episode 4.

• January 34 - Flashback sequence. Giganto Gon breaks Jiro out of the laboratory where he's held. Jiro wants Giganto Gon to destroy everything. Episode 5.
    robot-GiGantor defeated, baby GaGon meets his adoptive brother. Episode 4.

• January 41 - 6 months before Kikko joins. Grosse Augen first appears as a Kaiju vanquisher. Call for "more magic" instead of science within the Bureau is made. Episode 4.

• June 30th 41 - The Beatles play in Japan, their powers bring forth more superhumans, or at least open the potential for some. Mountain Horse group becomes superhumans. Episode 6.

• July 41 - Kikko joins the organization, Jirou goes against orders and saves Grosse Augen. Episode 1.

• Between July and August 41 - A month after Kikko joins, just before Fuurota joins. More Kaijus appear, various superhumans fight them off. We meet Earth-Chan and Kaiju-using robbers. Grosse-Augen "replacement" takes up the burden. Episode 4.

• August 41 - Fuurota joins the organization, kills the bug species. Kikko with the organization for one month. Episode 2.

• November 41 - 3 months after Fuurota joins, humans confirmed as creating Kaijus. Mini-GaGon and Kaiju-lovers introduced as Fuurota's friends. Episode 4.

• February 42 - Bombing incident with android detective. Episode 3.

• June/July 42 - Master Ultima returns from Mars, Bureau leaders revealed non-humans, expose their own Kaiju-creating ring. Jiro unleashes his arm. Episode 4.

• July 42 - USA throw away a Space Kaiju's remains near Okinawa. Kaiju-sympathizers grab remains and begin agitating against the establishment and the Superhuman Bureau. Episode 5.

• August 42 - Protests by students begin, Jiro forced to become a Kaiju, faces off against Mega GaGon. Mega GaGon killed. Episode 5.

• October 42 - Mountain Horse group tries their luck as superhumans and quits it. Fuurota infiltrates the Sugimoto media group. Episode 6.

• November 42 - Mountain Horse band brings down Sugimoto Media Group's plot to block superhumans' powers. Dee of Mountain Horse band dies. The Bureau now knows of the Sugimoto group as their enemy clearly. Episode 6.

• ~Year 44 - Kaiju wave of attacks dies down. Episode 5 reference.

• October 44 - Jiro tries to recruit Mountain Horse and they decline. Jiro's quest is revealed as gathering superhumans to take on the Superhuman Bureau. Superhumans appear to be illegal. Fuurota goes and meets him. Episode 6.

• ~Year 45-46 - Osaka Earth Expo, relevance unknown. Episode 6 reference.

• April 46 - Jiro is an enemy, ex-Grosse Augen helps him, Kikko declares love. Episode 1.

• February 47 - Male android returns. Android detective now fugitive. Episode 3.

• August 48 - Bug lady comes back for Fuurota, he learns what he's done, gets saved and comforted by Jirou. Episode 2.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

After reading the timeline, I went back and re-watched episode 1 of this show. It felt like a completely new experience.

There was another show that I enjoyed watching, that had a complex timeline and multiple story lines, and had good music, and fun characters, such that re-watching prior episodes during broadcast added value to the series.

That show was Code Geass. Not bad company for a show that came out of nowhere.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I guess no-one liked that metal guy...

But come on Jiro, you're meant to be the superpower-cop. Someone just murdered a guy with superpowers, using superpowers (and a giant robot) right in front of you. Walking away looking all cool shouldn't be that important to you.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to live in a world where listening to The Beatles gives you superpowers and makes you go on a light acid trip

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Cool ep this week. Earth-chan skirts that line between adorable and ticking time bomb. Should be interesting to see what will (inevitably) go wrong.

I'm not too confident that this show will deliver on that poo poo load of setup we're getting almost every episode, though... At least this episode was good on its own.
Wanna see some crazy graphs for the plot once it's done

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

good lord

I reallly like this show.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"NONSENSE"

Did I ever say this show is dumb? What I meant is that this show os great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If there was an Earth-chan series, I would watch it. Also, I'm sure her origin story is horribly depressing and dark.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Flipped and cropped she'd probably make a good avatar.

~beep~beep~
bad posting detected

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 16, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Only just getting around to watching this weekend's episode, but there we go, there's our reason why Kikko gives no shits about the Bureau's actions. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm excited about the next episode

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Now to check if Japanese wartime propaganda had anything like those guys in it, I guess.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Now to check if Japanese wartime propaganda had anything like those guys in it, I guess.

Momotaro no Umiwashi and Momotaro Umi no Sanpei would prpbably fit what you're looking for

e: though Momotaro just had the three animal companions, dunno if the films deviate from that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I wish this last episode had focused more on Earth-chan's morality. It's whole conflict of being a machine modeled after humans without getting the human thought process barely get's any attention and that seems to be the main conflict it has. I've been enjoying the show but this is the second time where the main cast get's more focus than the actual focus of the episode should be getting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd imagine if this was a two cour series, a lot of these secondary characters would probably get a better focus on the depth they seem to have as well as give the world they live in a proper treatment. As it stands, there's a LOT going on and there's a lot in the series that's just begging to be explored. Or it might be that the main cast is just less developed and less compelling compared to the other characters.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It is a two-cours show: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/02/bones-plans-concrete-revolutio-superhero-anime

Earth-chan not getting much focus feels pretty normal right now since the focus is still on explaining what's happening with the Bureau. I imagine that once the reveal happens and the show shifts to primarily being set after Jiro's split, they'll have more time to focus on the supporting cast.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whoa cool, i'd been operating under the assumption that it was only 12 episodes.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

a kitten posted:

Whoa cool, i'd been operating under the assumption that it was only 12 episodes.

Same here, I was worried that there wasn't going to be enough time left to properly tell the story. Now I can't wait to see how they flesh out the universe in upcoming episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Kikko, roll for Stealth check."
"I GOT A 4."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's conspiracies. Conspiracies all the way down.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This show is getting better and more convoluted with every episode. Love it. No idea how they're gonna tie it all up in the end, but at this point, the weird-rear end setting is enough to make me come back.

Still want to know what's up with time-stopping dude, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Part one of a series of behind the scenes videos from daiskuki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9K2RFft3Uc
Turn on cc for subs.

and an (unsubbed :( ) 3 minute promo that

quote:

Bandai Visual continues to do some solid promotion to try and draw in viewers for its original series Concrete Revolutio, particularly since it’s a two-cour series, and they’ve added to all of that today. The latest is a new three-minute promotional piece that goes into the various powers that the characters have in the show while framing it in an amusing way. It certainly shows off the show and some of the things it does in an interesting enough way that I can see it drawing in a few folks with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtxqfFQjOXQ

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, does anyone have any info on how well this is doing in Japan? It's ended up being one of the weirdest/most ambitious shows in a while and I hope it's paying off for Bones.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I hope it's doing well.

Updated timeline:
Thanks random reddit guy

Updated Timeline:
    Note: Shinka Calendar seems to correspond to the Showa Calendar. Year 19 = 1944, or World War 2, etc.

• October 14 - Jiro's father meets GaGon in the Pacific Isles, loses "Maria", a native shapeshifter? A month after World War 2 broke out. Episode 4.

• August 17 - GaGon faces off against American Superhumans in the Pacific Ocean. 9 months after Pearl Harbor.

• Year 19 - A war of some sort (World War 2's equivalent). Referenced in episode 3.

• November 29 - Invisible Kaiju appears, Emi chooses to appear as an adult, Jiro's father finds him naked and unconscious. Episode 4.

• January 34 - Flashback sequence. Giganto Gon breaks Jiro out of the laboratory where he's held. Jiro wants Giganto Gon to destroy everything. Episode 5.

• Robot-GiGantor defeated by Rainbow Knight who saves Jirou (Episode 8), baby GaGon meets his adoptive brother. Episode 4.

• March 38 - Rainbow Knight kidnaps Daitetsu Maki and other superhuman kids, to protect them and/or gain money for their release. Dies for it. Episode 8.

• July 40th - Judas is part of the criminal organization The Diamond Eaters, confronts Earth-chan and vows to become good. Episode 7.

• January 41 - 6 months before Kikko joins. Grosse Augen first appears as a Kaiju vanquisher. Call for "more magic" instead of science within the Bureau is made. Episode 4.

• June 30th 41 - The Beatles play in Japan, their powers bring forth more superhumans, or at least open the potential for some. Mountain Horse group becomes superhumans. Episode 6.

• July 41 - Kikko joins the organization, Jirou goes against orders and saves Grosse Augen. Episode 1.
    Between July and August 41 - A month after Kikko joins, just before Fuurota joins. More Kaijus appear, various superhumans fight them off. We meet Earth-Chan and Kaiju-using robbers. Grosse-Augen "replacement" takes up the burden. Episode 4.

• August 41 - Fuurota joins the organization, kills the bug species. Kikko with the organization for one month. Episode 2.

• November 41 - 3 months after Fuurota joins, humans confirmed as creating Kaijus. Mini-GaGon and Kaiju-lovers introduced as Fuurota's friends. Episode 4.

• February 42 - Bombing incident with android detective. Episode 3.

• June/July 42 - Master Ultima returns from Mars, Bureau leaders revealed non-humans, expose their own Kaiju-creating ring. Jiro unleashes his arm. Episode 4.

• July 42 - USA throw away a Space Kaiju's remains near Okinawa. Kaiju-sympathizers grab remains and begin agitating against the establishment and the Superhuman Bureau. Episode 5.

• August 42 - Protests by students begin, Jiro forced to become a Kaiju, faces off against Mega GaGon. Mega GaGon killed. Episode 5.

• October 42 - Mountain Horse group tries their luck as superhumans and quits it. Fuurota infiltrates the Sugimoto media group. Episode 6.
    Same time - The superhuman Bureau recruits Judas after his release from prison. Face off against Earth-chan and try to get her aid in changing public opinion to sway protests against Japan joining the Earth Defence Force (against evil space-men). Earth-chan is given the ability to dream. Ullr (Kikko's familiar) plots with Emi. Episode 7 (References October 8th 1967 Haneda protests).

• November 42 - Mountain Horse band brings down Sugimoto Media Group's plot to block superhumans' powers. Dee of Mountain Horse band dies. The Bureau now knows of the Sugimoto group as their enemy clearly. Episode 6.

• January 43 - Daitetsu Maki, now Otonashi Yumihiko and the other kidnapped kids (presumably) are an unregistered superhuman group, BL Club, who stage thefts by "The Eye of Lucifer", Rainbow Knight's old nemesis. Yumihiko and Jirou speak of morality. Superhuman Bureau is asked to stop opposing the FDE. Episode 8.

• ~Year 44 - Kaiju wave of attacks dies down. Episode 5 reference. Likely a reference to the 990 days of the protests following the Haneda Protest ending. Episode 7.

• October 44 - Jiro tries to recruit Mountain Horse and they decline. Jiro's quest is revealed as gathering superhumans to take on the Superhuman Bureau. Superhumans appear to be illegal. Fuurota goes and meets him. Episode 6.

• ~Year 45-46 - Osaka Earth Expo, relevance unknown. Episode 6 reference.

• April 46 - Jiro is an enemy, ex-Grosse Augen helps him, Kikko declares love. Episode 1.

• February 47 - Male android returns. Android detective now fugitive. Episode 3.

• April 47 - Judas, Jirou, and Megasshin (fused android) more break into a lab to retrieve Earth-chan's stasis/broken down form, vowing to return her to her former glory. Episode 7.

• October 47 - Jirou fights Yoshimura (time-controller, "Jaguar"), Restored Earth-chan intervenes, and then so does Daitetsu. Episode 8.

• August 48 - Bug lady comes back for Fuurota, he learns what he's done, gets saved and comforted by Jirou. Episode 2.

Also, it's stupid but just mentally adding 25 to the dates given in Showa format helps me to understand when stuff is happening more easily.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So. New episode, new revelations.
Turns out Mr. Jaguar is an actual loving jaguar. Oh my. That, and a time-traveller. Looks like we'll get a Jaguar-centric episode next time, so I'm looking forward to that one.
They sure like heaping mystery after mystery on the main cast. Let's see how it all fits together. It seems like we're inching closer to Jiro's actual departure bit by bit, let's hope they don't drag it out too much. Especially since those events seem to involve the Chief's nature being revealed, or even his death, who knows...

In short:
ZERO POINTS, KIKKO

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

So. New episode, new revelations.
Turns out Mr. Jaguar is an actual loving jaguar. Oh my. That, and a time-traveller. Looks like we'll get a Jaguar-centric episode next time, so I'm looking forward to that one.
They sure like heaping mystery after mystery on the main cast. Let's see how it all fits together. It seems like we're inching closer to Jiro's actual departure bit by bit, let's hope they don't drag it out too much. Especially since those events seem to involve the Chief's nature being revealed, or even his death, who knows...

In short:
ZERO POINTS, KIKKO

I'm expecting there to be two important events regarding Jiro. In this episode he has left the Bureau, but he's still not in open opposition of them like he is later.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought the colours on that truck looked familiar. :v:

(Also, Kikko's answer to that.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"I don't remember teaching you that."

Great episode, really cute. And also incredibly hosed up. The ants bit in particular. Goddamn, America.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Jesus Christ. :gonk:

I'm glad the family survived, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:ohdear: oh thank god, i thought they were goners.

also
http://gfycat.com/CooperativeSafeBorer

• Locked thread