Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is Koma a reference to any preexisting Japanese hero? It seems like it might be beyond the more typical parallels to Toku heroes or other characters from that era.

Same with the secret recording of the former PM.

Also, this episode seems to have dropped a tidbit about some intervening event involving Kikko (unless I missed something in a previous ep) and losing her "Queen Candidate" status that's probably related to her evil queen form any why it hasn't shown up this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Is Koma a reference to any preexisting Japanese hero? It seems like it might be beyond the more typical parallels to Toku heroes or other characters from that era.

Also, this episode seems to have dropped a tidbit about some intervening event involving Kikko (unless I missed something in a previous ep) and losing her "Queen Candidate" status that's probably related to her evil queen form any why it hasn't shown up this season.

that's because Emi turned it into that youkai thing at the end of the last season I figured.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't know about any heroes this is parodying, but she's merged with a Komainu, like you normally see outside of shrines.

Maybe this is like Lion-Maru?

quote:

The basic premise of the series is that the main character has the ability to transform into a superpowered anthropomorphic lion, usually wielding a katana. The original two series were set in feudal Japan and were, essentially, tokusatsu versions of the samurai dramas that were extremely popular at the time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I don't know about any heroes this is parodying, but she's merged with a Komainu, like you normally see outside of shrines.

Maybe this is like Lion-Maru?

I think that's a spot on reference to that character.

There's a person on Reddit who keeps a running timeline and does a bit of analysis of the episodes. The PM in this episode is based on the real Tanaka Kakuei who did indeed serve from just after the war into the 70s before being brought down by a scandal. Instead of being secretly recorded like a certain other American President at the time, there was an expose in a magazine about unsavory, but not illegal dealing that he did before resigning to avoid it going to the Diet.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I just caught up on the past two episodes, and they were great and all, but everything got outshined by Sawblade Housewife

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I didn't expect literal giant G.I. Joes this episode.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So instead of communism, the US has declared war on yokai? I guess there's a sense in which killing in the name of secular democracy is directly opposed to the old religious traditions, but I never would have thought of it as an extension of killing off the native Americans. Maybe that makes more sense for the Japanese though, who experienced the weight of US cultural imperialism firsthand. The US would be the brutish country to murdered its own past, and are trying to kill everyone else's traditions too.

Not that Japan hasn't done similar things to the Ainu and whatnot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a good episode.

I also just found out it was an (the?) Urobuchi episode.

Also, also:

dang

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Tragic how cyborg Vietnam PTSD turns you into a Metal Gear bad guy:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I might have missed it but did they ever explain why Kikko can't be a candidate for demon queen anymore? Something to do with the Claude business at the end of the first season?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I might have missed it but did they ever explain why Kikko can't be a candidate for demon queen anymore? Something to do with the Claude business at the end of the first season?

Emi turned her demon queen personality into a youkai that separated from Kikko at the end of the last season.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Ok that sounds kind of familiar, thanks. Did Uru explicitly say that?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Ok that sounds kind of familiar, thanks. Did Uru explicitly say that?

We saw Emi do it, and i'm assuming that it's the reason. I might be wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if she can't transform into a demon queen, how is she gonna be a demon queen?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Good point but I didn't remember the demon queen getting separated from her (I don't know if it got banished or sealed somewhere or is just gone now).

Have the events for the second season been more or less linear besides some Jiro flashbacks concerning fumers and the Raito episode?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Good point but I didn't remember the demon queen getting separated from her (I don't know if it got banished or sealed somewhere or is just gone now).

Have the events for the second season been more or less linear besides some Jiro flashbacks concerning fumers and the Raito episode?

More linear, but there's still some shuffling of events. This episode is set as one of the ones furthest forward in time besides the parts set in the literal future. There's also a whole year which hasn't had anything set in it beyond a single flashback and that's in Shinka 45. That's where a few things that haven't really been answered happened like everything regarding Kikko

Edit: This episode is set in September of Shinka 49. The last episode was set in September Shinka 48. Everything's mostly the same it seems with the exception of Fuurota who seems to have permanently left the Bureau.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, so Imperial Ads is trying to correct the world so that it's our world.

Also, baby Emi! :3:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This episode really wowed me. Lots of amazing reveals, the Teito lady finally getting some development and is it just me or was the animation noticeably better this episode?

Also, the three NUTS robots are references to robots from 70s mecha anime. The one that was fought is a reference to getter-1 of getter robo (I was on the fence about this until i saw it flying with a cape in the next episode preview)

the second is a reference to Raideen from the show of the same name

the last one i'm not sure about. Dai-Apolon maybe?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The PM getting nailed on another scandal with an American firm this time is probably a reference to the Lockheed-Martin scandal in the 70s the same PM that he's a reference to was involved in. Also, lol, instead of OPEC, it's djinns and rocs loving up the oil industry.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Although pretty, this last episode felt super disjointed/disconnected from the rest of the events so far. I'm starting to wonder if the show is going to manage to stick the landing. :ohdear:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm not following everything either. There're a lot of characters showing up that I either don't recall or don't have a clue who they are or why they're there.

Also, really, really weird alternate dimension vibes at the end of this episode. Sure, alternate dimension. Got it. But this was somehow really strange. The atom bomb at Hiroshima not exploding but delivering a baby (Jiro) instead in one dimension and exploding in the other? Just weird.

I figured Emi is centuries old, so young girl Emi was a shocker. Unless she just did that to be on the same level as Jiro.

I really wish Kikko could be evil again too.I liked evil-Kikko best.

Why isn't Jiro considered a superhuman? With that crazy arm, you'd think.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dan7el posted:

I'm not following everything either. There're a lot of characters showing up that I either don't recall or don't have a clue who they are or why they're there.

Also, really, really weird alternate dimension vibes at the end of this episode. Sure, alternate dimension. Got it. But this was somehow really strange. The atom bomb at Hiroshima not exploding but delivering a baby (Jiro) instead in one dimension and exploding in the other? Just weird.

I figured Emi is centuries old, so young girl Emi was a shocker. Unless she just did that to be on the same level as Jiro.

I really wish Kikko could be evil again too.I liked evil-Kikko best.

Why isn't Jiro considered a superhuman? With that crazy arm, you'd think.

If you are talking about the three people talking to Jiro in the office, that's the Giant Alien Guy/Grossaugen, and the fusion android couple. Took a while to recognize them.

Emi changed her look into the current one when Jiro berserked when the ape monster originally appeared.

As for why Jiro isn't considered a superhuman, they also don't consider youkai as superhuman. So maybe he just isn't human in the first place?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think the argument originally was that Jiro is just a regular human with a nuclear dragon riding around in his body, rather than a person who was human and developed superpowers. It's obviously not the case, but that's what he was told growing up.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think that Jiro's insistence that he's not a superhuman is more an ideological thing. Remember, he said Rainbow Knight was an excellent superhuman even after learning he was just a guy in a suit. Superhumans are an ideal to Jiro, and he feels as though he hasn't reached it yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Although pretty, this last episode felt super disjointed/disconnected from the rest of the events so far. I'm starting to wonder if the show is going to manage to stick the landing. :ohdear:

The direction was disjointed, but this was actually the most connected to the rest of the series this season has ever been. It was pretty much entirely callbacks to the first season. I think we're out of vignette mode and back into the main story.

Incidentally, I found it interesting that the translation chose to use yokai untranslated this time, as opposed to calling them monsters or whatever it normally does. I mean, it makes sense when they're being directly contrasted to djinni, but you'd think they'd go for consistency to keep the terminology straight. These sorts of creatures increasingly been the focus of the series, with several recent episodes focusing on gods, "bogeys", and devils, who all have a somewhat alien perspective on humanity and maybe shouldn't be considered superhumans at all.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

The direction was disjointed, but this was actually the most connected to the rest of the series this season has ever been. It was pretty much entirely callbacks to the first season. I think we're out of vignette mode and back into the main story.

Incidentally, I found it interesting that the translation chose to use yokai untranslated this time, as opposed to calling them monsters or whatever it normally does. I mean, it makes sense when they're being directly contrasted to djinni, but you'd think they'd go for consistency to keep the terminology straight. These sorts of creatures increasingly been the focus of the series, with several recent episodes focusing on gods, "bogeys", and devils, who all have a somewhat alien perspective on humanity and maybe shouldn't be considered superhumans at all.

they've been using youkai this whole season i think, just like how they changed meteorterre to meteortail.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think the official position is that non-humans including yokai and other mythological monsters, aliens and robots, are not superhumans. Jiro don't give a gently caress, though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

We've been a bit past due for a full timeline post, where is that at again?

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the show is going to manage to stick the landing. :ohdear:

At this point "sticking the landing" means "launching itself beyond the space-time continuum" and anything besides a weird Eva episode 25/26-esque ending would be a success.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

We've been a bit past due for a full timeline post, where is that at again?

https://geekorner.wordpress.com/2016/05/20/concrete-revolutio-episode-20-the-soft-dictatorship-of-freedom/#more-8943

There it is as of this episode.

edited to point to his blog instead since he never did update the reddit version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 30, 2016

Thunder_God
Sep 20, 2013

a kitten posted:

https://geekorner.wordpress.com/2016/05/20/concrete-revolutio-episode-20-the-soft-dictatorship-of-freedom/#more-8943

There it is as of this episode.

edited to point to his blog instead since he never did update the reddit version.

Sorry, just been busy the past week, and ill. I should hopefully get to it tomorrow, Thursday the latest, so I'd be current with episode 22!

(Yes, that's my blog :))

Thunder_God fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 31, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, thanks for doing those!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode is up. Robots get to gattai in this episode. Also, Most of Jiro's story becomes clear.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Dang Jiro

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aggressively hegemonizing Claude swarm.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also, the movie versions of everybody are just wonderful. :allears:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah movie Jaguar was great.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This episode was yet again very good, and it said some really interesting things about Jiro as a character. Presenting Claude as Jiro of the past brings up parallells to Raito, with the main difference being that Raito sought to return to the way he was while Jiro rejected it. Considering Raito is, to put it gently, a bit nutty I wonder if the show is saying something about it being necessary to let go of your childhood beliefs in order to become an adult.

The reveal that Jin viewed Jiro in the same way that Jiro viewed Rainbow Knight is also interesting. Jiro's insistence that he's not a superhuman is partially because he feels he doesn't live up to the ideal of them he has, but it's also an excuse to releave himself of the responsibility that carries. Jin's view of him strips that excuse away and forces him to view himself in the same light he views other superhumans.

What's also interesting is that while Jiro grows increasingly unsure of himself Daitetsu seems to grow more and more confident that Jiro is right. I wonder if the show is going to end with a repeat of Rainbow Knight's death, with Jiro in the place of Rainbow Knight and Daitetsu in the place of Jiro.

On a more casual note, the combination sequence was neat but I'm gonna miss centaur bot. Centaur robots are cool.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

also, if you can into moonrunes, there's this from 2chan via 4chan

Old, but I think this is at least partially a JP version of this partial first-cour image somebody made, lining up dates and events in ConRevo with their real-world references or equivalents. Some seem like stretches, but others are pretty transparent in either name or location.

Motto fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 8, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad this episode dispelled the doubts I had about the show when the one before it aired. :)

Also, just posting this here because it's a cool sequence:

https://jii.moe/VknLr8Z4-.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Old, but I think this is at least partially a JP version of this partial first-cour image somebody made, lining up dates and events in ConRevo with their real-world references or equivalents. Some seem like stretches, but others are pretty transparent in either name or location.

I found a newer version of this.

• Locked thread