Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I like this show and I hope the twist ends up interesting enough to sustain it.

Also, AnacondaHL hosed up by not making the thread title "Concrete Revolutio - The Times, They Are A-Changin'." :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I am an unfunny person and have no idea what the connection between Bob Dylan and this anime is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSoC_KHu4_A

Someone overdubbed it with someone else singing, from the sounds of it, but the film intro has the Dylan version.

e; also acceptable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g&t=49s :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not very dumb or very crazy, honestly, but they're taking their sweet time getting to the twist. My original guess was it'd show up 4-5 episodes in and the rest of the series would take place in 47, but they might stick with being set primarily in the past until halfway through. Kind of hope that's not the case, as it would afford them way more latitude to lose the plot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, you can also just read the title cards that give you the year. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So yeah, after these last two episodes, it's becoming pretty easy to see why Jiro turned on the Superhuman Bureau.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Definitely, I'm still curious to find out why Kikko and Fuurouta stayed considering all the deception.

I get the feeling that Fuurouta's nature as an inherently child-like entity means he's bad at thinking for himself and just wants to stick around (hence why he was too stupid to understand the virus in episode 3). Also, it feels like Kikko's not exactly a saint (she has zero issues with all the deception), but I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about her motivations.

I forget and can't check right now, but does future Kikko still have her familiar?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Only just getting around to watching this weekend's episode, but there we go, there's our reason why Kikko gives no shits about the Bureau's actions. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It is a two-cours show: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/07/02/bones-plans-concrete-revolutio-superhero-anime

Earth-chan not getting much focus feels pretty normal right now since the focus is still on explaining what's happening with the Bureau. I imagine that once the reveal happens and the show shifts to primarily being set after Jiro's split, they'll have more time to focus on the supporting cast.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, does anyone have any info on how well this is doing in Japan? It's ended up being one of the weirdest/most ambitious shows in a while and I hope it's paying off for Bones.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought the colours on that truck looked familiar. :v:

(Also, Kikko's answer to that.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 30, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Update: Masaki Tsuji and Gen Urobuchi will contribute to the scripts.

I
Uh

huh

This is good news!

Wish the show weren't split cours, though, but I can understand the studio needing the three month break.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's not that I feel burned or anything, it's just that I don't want to have three months of no new episodes for a show I enjoy. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm two episodes behind right now but :cmon: if you didn't think Kikko would turn out not smelling of roses. She's been completely okay with all the dodgy poo poo the Bureau has been pulling from the beginning and the show has outright stated she's lying about her true nature. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Dr Manhattan and Thunder Cats ones seem unlikely but the rest seem like they're quite probable.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally caught up. The Jaguar episode was insanely good, and this week's was pretty great too.

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, we all know who Claude is. Did you see his left arm?

There's no way Claude is Jiro, it's a different voice actor and Jiro's powers don't line up with Claude's. :v:

Unless somehow Claude's powers are the true form of Jiro's arm's power and Claude is an older Jiro from the future, but that seems very :tinfoil:.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 14, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Its gotta be the brown haired kid in that picture. Who the gently caress he is exactly? That's still on the way.

Jiro is adopted, so it's presumably Dr Hitoyoshi's biological son. The real question is: when and where did Kikko meet him?

Man, the addition of outright time travel to this has really messed with our ability to make predictions. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The rate at which things are progressing in this episode is making me realise that the pacing for the first ten episodes was a little out of whack. Claude should really have been introduced around episode 4/5 instead of waiting so long. Super glad the plot is finally going places, though.

That said, if the thing that makes Jiro quit the Bureau ends up being just the revelation they set Rainbow Knight up and that Daishi is an alien, I'm going to be a little disappointed, since that doesn't really seem enough. I'm also not quite seeing how Shiba goes from his present state to being a nutso bad guy later on.

e;
I only just noticed this shot in the ED, :lol::

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 20, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Superhuman Bureau, set up by Jaguar, the doctor & apparently several aliens; meant to protect superhumans, and they're actually honest about that.

That's kind of a misleading statement, in that they profess to be honest about it but they certainly have very few qualms about doing some very dodgy stuff; they're either full of poo poo on some level, or taking an extremely long view of what "protecting superhumans" means.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Daishi going "but I really do want to support superhumans!" in this last episode felt pretty dubious to me, too. I mean, I'm sure he does, but it feels like he's always been a huge pushover whenever he's been on-screen.

Torquemadras posted:

Let's hope the show doesn't drop the ball - it's just getting really interesting these last two episodes...

Yeah, same. I'm looking forward to the next cours and I hope it can live up to the show's quality so far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Finally managed to watch this episode, and wow, I think this was probably the best episode in the show so far? It definitely seems like the second cours is actually going to deliver some answers.

Also, this was a great Ultraman episode!

a kitten posted:

Back in Episode 5 in the very first shot, a member of Imperial Ads is talking about "getting some country girl into prime time", and throws a plastic-wrapped record onto his desk. The album cover features three of the Angel Stars - Fannie, Rose, and Arachne - in striped sweaters.

The album cover has the title "Shiroi Heya" ("White Room"). This is a very clear reference to "Shiroi Heya no Futari)" ("Couple of the white room"), one of the first yuri manga, which was published in 1971 (Showa 46 - and sure enough, this episode takes place in "Shinka 46").

Guess what the story arc for White Room is: one of the women dies, the other is left tragically alone.

:monocle:

:aaaaa:

This is the rare show where I can't wait for it to end and have its payoff so people can dig up all of the foreshadowing and references.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

Definitely.

This week was ok, not one of the best though. Almost entirely standalone too.
Still had some fun moments.

Kind of felt like this was deliberately put in as a chaser after the very plot-revelation-heavy previous episode. A bit disappointing, but Jiro and Jaguar still managed to shout about the main conflict at each other, so it was okay in the end. With the way the show works, I'm expecting either the Bird Men or Amato to show up again later and have an important minor role.

Anyway, while digging for a timeline to link to someone who bounced off the show initially but wanted to get back into it, I found this, which is a cool look at some of the media censorship in CR: https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/media-and-propaganda-in-concrete-revolutio/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Tragic how cyborg Vietnam PTSD turns you into a Metal Gear bad guy:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Although pretty, this last episode felt super disjointed/disconnected from the rest of the events so far. I'm starting to wonder if the show is going to manage to stick the landing. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think the argument originally was that Jiro is just a regular human with a nuclear dragon riding around in his body, rather than a person who was human and developed superpowers. It's obviously not the case, but that's what he was told growing up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad this episode dispelled the doubts I had about the show when the one before it aired. :)

Also, just posting this here because it's a cool sequence:

https://jii.moe/VknLr8Z4-.mp4

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This episode. :stare: :drat:

The pacing for this second cours feels really weird, right now. There were a couple of episodes genuinely progressing things, but still a lot of episodes only tenuously connected to the "main" plot or whatever you want to call it, and now this week's episode just feels like it's jumped straight into the conclusion while skipping several stages inbetween.

Also :lol: at Jaguar's theory about nuclear energy and world peace.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't agree that he betrayed everything he stood for and become everything he hated - he started a war to help a loved one protect the oppressed. It's not "absolute justice" or any such stupid, childish concept, but I don't see how you can argue that defending the youkai from humans whose plan is literally to dissolve them in acid over and over again for all eternity to power their cars isn't just.

A lot of the show so far has been about Jiro wavering back and forth between his childish ideals and some kind of compromise with reality, and this just fits in with his whole character across the entire show.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In any case, I'm slightly disappointed Magneto isn't Emi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That was a very well animated episode, but I can't help but feel dissatisfied at how the ending just pretty much resolves everything in under 30 seconds, and I don't think the show ended up quite as good as I thought it would when the first cours concluded. :(

• Locked thread