Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As a note on the year cards that they show, the year is analogous to the Showa era year shown so year 41 is 1967 and year 47 is 1973. Iirc, the latest episode is year 19 which is 1945. The war they refer to is likely some variation of WW2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It really hard to get all of the political parallels from this series without having actually studied 20th Century Japanese History. Okinawan occupation by the US parallels the real world one and in some instances Kaiju (the Sub uses Beast) mean Nuclear Power, but could also represent personal rights as the beast attacks probably correlate with the various student and labor protests happening at the time (Jiro's first encounter is in 1960 and the episode takes place in 1968).

This is definitely Japanese Watchmen.

Question: What do the kanji in "Shinka" mean when they use it in the date cards? Showa (昭和) means radiant peace or harmony from what I can gather from Wikipedia

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to live in a world where listening to The Beatles gives you superpowers and makes you go on a light acid trip

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If there was an Earth-chan series, I would watch it. Also, I'm sure her origin story is horribly depressing and dark.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd imagine if this was a two cour series, a lot of these secondary characters would probably get a better focus on the depth they seem to have as well as give the world they live in a proper treatment. As it stands, there's a LOT going on and there's a lot in the series that's just begging to be explored. Or it might be that the main cast is just less developed and less compelling compared to the other characters.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's conspiracies. Conspiracies all the way down.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
On the question on if there are superhumans in the future, I think that everyone in the future is a Superhuman, thus the term is redundant and being superhuman just means you are "human"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So when does Dark Queen Kikko take over the earth? I want to prepare myself for subjugation.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 13, 2015

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Saw the episode, and ahahahaha
Just when we were wondering what else could turn out to be evil later on

Looks like things are shaping up. Main villain seems to be former Defense Minister guy, Robocop dude is starting his trek to crazytown (Sciencers, man I love those guys already), and we're likely to get somewhat of an origin story for Jiro next time. I thought most of the episode that rad Skull Helmet Dude (that's what I'm gonna call him) was actually the metal manipulation kid from a couple episodes ago, even though the age doesn't match, since his powers seem like a likely extension... But looks as if it's a newly introduced fella. I liked his fight with Robocop, that was some sweet (and short) animation.

Not really digging how cartoonishly evil and one-dimensional the Americans are, though. I'm kinda reminded of Ghost in the Shell, here. It's all just identical blonde soldiers (lol) who yell a lot and commit offscreen atrocities. I mean, com'on, at least show Master Ultimus or what's-his-name, this is boring.

From what other people watching the show have theorized, the Skull person's appearance is likely inspired from the same source Jiro's is: Cyborg 009. Whereas Jiro is based off of the protagonist though, Skull is based off of the villain.

Courtesy of 4chan.

also, if you can into moonrunes, there's this from 2chan via 4chan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Dr Manhattan and Thunder Cats ones seem unlikely but the rest seem like they're quite probable.

That's what the question marks are for. There's a lot of old series from that era so it's hard to make out from this side of the Pacific the inspirations for the characters at times. If we knew a little more, we'd probably be better able to pin certain things down.

That said, much of the events in the series have historical analogues and it looks like we're about to see what the Soviets are up to

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There is a very large web of intrigue here and the days of cutting through it without a second thought have gone. The Golden Age is over. The Silver Age is ending. Long live the Bronze Age.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

a kitten posted:

They literally show the Enola Gay crashed at Hiroshima with Jiro in the crater.

That makes it a little vague as to whether or not Jiro came from the plane or crashed the plane. I'd think it was the latter unless the situation in Nagasaki shows otherwise since Hiroshima looked to be relatively standing except for the gigantic shadow of a symbol created.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We're back with 100% more spooky Youkai Queen!

I still sorta don't understand what's going on, but it looks to be set after Jiro leaves and some of the Flash forwards of the previous series, bookended by a further into the future. We're gonna need that setting Timeline again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I sorta wish the head Public Security ninja got smote by trying to shoot a literal god as though it would do anything other than piss it off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is Koma a reference to any preexisting Japanese hero? It seems like it might be beyond the more typical parallels to Toku heroes or other characters from that era.

Same with the secret recording of the former PM.

Also, this episode seems to have dropped a tidbit about some intervening event involving Kikko (unless I missed something in a previous ep) and losing her "Queen Candidate" status that's probably related to her evil queen form any why it hasn't shown up this season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I don't know about any heroes this is parodying, but she's merged with a Komainu, like you normally see outside of shrines.

Maybe this is like Lion-Maru?

I think that's a spot on reference to that character.

There's a person on Reddit who keeps a running timeline and does a bit of analysis of the episodes. The PM in this episode is based on the real Tanaka Kakuei who did indeed serve from just after the war into the 70s before being brought down by a scandal. Instead of being secretly recorded like a certain other American President at the time, there was an expose in a magazine about unsavory, but not illegal dealing that he did before resigning to avoid it going to the Diet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Good point but I didn't remember the demon queen getting separated from her (I don't know if it got banished or sealed somewhere or is just gone now).

Have the events for the second season been more or less linear besides some Jiro flashbacks concerning fumers and the Raito episode?

More linear, but there's still some shuffling of events. This episode is set as one of the ones furthest forward in time besides the parts set in the literal future. There's also a whole year which hasn't had anything set in it beyond a single flashback and that's in Shinka 45. That's where a few things that haven't really been answered happened like everything regarding Kikko

Edit: This episode is set in September of Shinka 49. The last episode was set in September Shinka 48. Everything's mostly the same it seems with the exception of Fuurota who seems to have permanently left the Bureau.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2016

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The PM getting nailed on another scandal with an American firm this time is probably a reference to the Lockheed-Martin scandal in the 70s the same PM that he's a reference to was involved in. Also, lol, instead of OPEC, it's djinns and rocs loving up the oil industry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode is up. Robots get to gattai in this episode. Also, Most of Jiro's story becomes clear.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess that Instant Noodle shortage must've been a big deal to be mentioned :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I definitely feels like something was rushed along the way and they're trying to wrap up in a hurry. There's also at least one cut where the animation is sorta lacking. I think I noticed in in the Grosse Augen fight with a distinct lack of shading (just the flat colors) and another where it's just the pan over Kikko's chest where her guardian/familiar/whatever was while it was talking, but had no animations for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

They might have been cut down in episodes, that's why - I'm reasonably sure it wasn't always going to be just 11 but for whatever reason a number of shows have had their runs cut off below the usual 12/13.

That would make a lot of sense. That's really unfortunate. As for why the amount of episodes were cut, that's probably still a mystery and it's a shame they couldn't go a route where the final episode(s) goes to OVA and the broadcast is basically a cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Motto posted:

Cool ending, cool show, though I stand by my sentiment that it would've benefited from at least a few extra minutes worth of time (or better direction in general). My only major reservation is that they so swiftly sped through shoving Satomi in a bio-Destroyer pod and and most superhumans peacing out that it almost felt comical, and came off as the staff grasping for a way to resolve the inter-superhuman conflict and remove most of the them from the world, but without anyone dying for fear that it'd drown out the tone they were going for in the final scene.

I agree that if everything was paced a little better and given more room to breathe near the end, it could have come out a lot better. If the last three or four episodes were spread out to four or five, I think it would've been perfect. It's not as though this series was lacking for characters or setting details so having it go three cours would've likely been feasible if not potentially better since it'd give a bit more room to the secondary characters as, at a certain point, they kinda just run together and become forgotten.

I want to say the meteor being referenced is the Tunguska event, but it could've likely been a slew of other things. Also, it seems there never ended up being a Fat Man bomb by the US, just Little Boy.

• Locked thread