Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think anyone is ruling out potential weird fringe situations at all. They're just saying "Hilary is not well liked " is an objectively incorrect statement when based on actual polls and not anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

computer parts posted:

No it doesn't, and it especially doesn't for Hispanics who have been trying to be seen as white for the better part of 100 years.

"White" shifted a lot during the early 20th century (e.g. the Irish, Italians and Poles) and people keep kinda clinging to that idea that it's definitely going to happen with Hispanics. Until the "Mexicans sneaking across the border build a wall!" poo poo gets settled, one way or the other I don't see that happening.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

Please note that no-one is ever concerned or prejudiced against lily white Muslim converts.

Although I agree with you "Muslim" is usually short hand for "Arab" that's not really true. Tons of people are afraid of homegrown terrorists from converts.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, should have phrased that "as a part of a minority group" (LGBQT).

As a member of that same group I have no idea what you're getting at.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Even with a supermajority we got the most meager of lipservice, removal of military laws that were about to be challenged, and an irrational fear of expending "political capital". Gay Marriage was federally recognized because of a bipartisan group of LGBQT members taking Prop 8 to court, not because of anything involving dems looking to rebrand.

They made it an official party platform in 2012. The courts were just the fastest way to get it done.

I do see your point of view but I never felt like it was lip service, just the limitations of American democracy in slowing progress. Of course, where I live (Massachusetts) can very much be tainting my perception of democrats.

• Locked thread