Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Nah this isn't the big one and the GOP isn't going to go away. It'll just change. There are really two scenarios that play out.

1. After a slow decline like Texas going blue and old people dying out in droves or a quick one like gerrymandering districts is abolished republicans are unelectable. After 4 to 16 years of Democratic dominance people are fed up with it and elect in a new rebranded much more moderate republican party. The cycle begins again.

2. In a last gasp fearing for their white privilege and scared at all the change that has come to the nation, Americans elect a populist hard right wing reactionary conservative president, congress, and senate who genuinely believe the poo poo they say who start to enact some protofascist to outright fascist poo poo.

Nope, there's option 3:

The GOP gets stuck as the white supremacist party, goes away, and in a few years the Democratic Party splits again like they did 150 years ago.

You don't hear anyone call themselves Whigs after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nevvy Z posted:

Going from 08' 09' on is the general shift from red to blue a difference in who they are choosing to deport, or what pretense to do it under?

It's counting "people turned away at the border itself" as a deportation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nevvy Z posted:

Hmm? That's interesting but sounds like why it jumped after Bush. I'm talking about the shift towards more criminal deportations. Are they counting more things as 'criminal' or are they making an effort to focus on deporting people committing real crimes?

Oh, yeah that's a little weirder. I guess it would depend specifically on the definition of criminality, or maybe if they were deported for being a foreign national and committing a crime versus just being a foreign national.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

Hillary has a record level of unenthusiasm (average is around 36% "enthusiastic" among supporters) during a primary where she's supposed to get people hype enough to accept the eventual GE compromises.

I mean, so long as democrats have -a- candidate for the GE it's theirs to lose, but it's far from a Done Deal, and if we've learned anything from Obama's administration is that you cannot overestimate the democrats' ability to completely sap their party of energy and optimism.

Bernie is her hype man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

These right-wingers who hate Hillary are dying, and Democrats actually like her. You have been spending too much time huffing right wing media farts and have come to believe in the same delusions they have.

Which is why I never really got "hate watching" rightwing media. You inevitably turn into the same sort of fearful wreck that the rest of their audience becomes, except the only reason you'd buy a gun is to kill yourself.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nearly every discussion about Hillary is on par with plugging your nose and drinking a spoonful of cod oil.

With whom? Your conservative Facebook friends or the #feelthebern people in RSF?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's pretty hilarious how if you point out that 'eh, maybe people don't like Hillary as much as you think', you get bombarded by people trying to get you banned or put money on the line over it.

Except the mantra for years has been how terrible Hillary is and no one likes her. Case in point:

quote:

Now imagine that on a national level with Hillary (a lame centrist continuation of Obama)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tesseraction posted:

This is true, but apart from Trump 9/11-ing the Latin American vote, haven't the GOP managed to get their dog whistle against minority / black Americans mostly gone unhindered while they pass poo poo like voter ID laws?

Not in the slightest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

trapped mouse posted:

Non-whites do not tend to like the Republican party. However, whatever the hell "white" means shifts all the time.

No it doesn't, and it especially doesn't for Hispanics who have been trying to be seen as white for the better part of 100 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Well, Nonwhite Hispanics are going to have a gently caress of an uphill battle, but I can see a pretty clear path for white Hispanics to be considered fully white (to the point where being Hispanic is not held against them) in the next decade or so. Arguably it's already well underway. White Cuban-Americans like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are not really being attacked on the basis of their heritage, and I'm guessing Spaniards, and Mexicans of pure Spanish heritage don't get poo poo on the same as Mestizos do, even if they don't speak 'Murican and follow the Pope.

I don't mean to make light of any discrimination they do still face, but I think it's an order of magnitude less than Mestizo/Mulato (Edit; Because it caused a shitstorm in other threads: I'm using that term in the Cuban sense: used as a self-identifier, not a pejorative) or black Hispanics face. If Marco Rubio had a black grandparent or something, he'd never be where he is, and that's the more pressing issue in a lot of ways.

Good thing that Mestizos are the vast majority of Mexicans (who themselves are the vast majority of Hispanics) or else that might be an issue.

Yes, there will be conservative Hispanics that (continue to) exist. This doesn't mean Ronald Reagan part 2 is going to bring all of the youth over to the Republican side.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liberal_L33t posted:

Good loving lord, why does D&D still put up with poo poo like this being posted "ironically"? No other subforum would, not even GBS. Please never post this kind of discourse poisoning crap again.

I mean, they also put up with you saying the same thing about Islam.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hakkart posted:

People seem to think that if the American right wing become literal fascists, then they'll stop winning elections.

They wont. They'll just drag the Democrats over to where the Republicans used to be politically. Again.

Hard to justify this when the Democrats have been going left for the past 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

point of return posted:

I forget, how much of this is "the Blue Dogs all lost, the remaining Dems are still basically where they were" and how much is a genuine leftward shift?

Why is the former not evidence of the latter? The Dixiecrats leaving was definitely a leftward shift for the Democratic Party.

• Locked thread