Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how a party that has the biggest monopoly of state governments in like 100 years and the biggest majority in the house in like 60 years is somehow on the verge of collapse. Lots of wishful thinking here.

Ding ding ding, we have the answer to the thread's premise right here. You're high if you think the Republicans are going to splinter over a lost Presidential election when they control the majority of government at almost every other level.

SedanChair posted:

These right-wingers who hate Hillary are dying, and Democrats actually like her. You have been spending too much time huffing right wing media farts and have come to believe in the same delusions they have.

If Clinton loses it's going to be because of this "demographics are changing in our favor, the old bigots/conservatives/etc are dying off, all the young people are in our pocket" rhetoric that liberals love to delude themselves with, which will lead to people not voting because they think that numbers or sentiment are in their favor. It's not. Also I don't know anyone in my social circle or professional connections who likes HRC, save for the people I know who work directly for the DNC or Democrat-dependent NGOs.

If nothing else, you're VASTLY underestimating how many young people are either conservative leaning, "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" or just so apathetic or uninformed as to believe that the Republicans offer a better chance at prosperity for them. Did you watch the GOP debate this week? It's well accepted that the entire GOP is crazy, but a few of them (Rubio, Fiorina, hell even Carson for a few lucid moments) toed the line of making enough sense that your average ill-informed US citizen probably nodded along with their talking points.

2016 is not nearly as in the bag as you might want to believe.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Nearly every discussion about Hillary is on par with plugging your nose and drinking a spoonful of cod oil.

This is about where your average citizen stands on HRC. Everyone can agree that she's competent. Different groups can find some portion of her pandering that's attractive or at least pragmatically beneficial for them. But most people still just straight up dislike her, her record, her politics, and if the general election ends up being HRC vs Rubio (which is ever more likely now that Jeb is crumpling under pressure), it's going to be a much closer election than anyone will like. Keep in mind that when the general campaign begins, HRC is shooting straight back to her centrist position and any left-trending policy we're seeing now is probably going to watered down or outright ignored. How many liberals do you think that'll endear to her cause?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

7c Nickel posted:

Clinton has like 80% favorability amongst Democrats. If none of the people you know like her, it's likely because your circle of friends is incredibly male, white and middle class.

I'm a 30 year old, college educated black dude from a working class family. My social circle is mostly minority, evenly split between men and women, mostly working class, and varying levels of education. The people I know who like HRC tend to be older folks who voted for and lived through the first Clinton presidency, or middle class white people. Everyone else is either apathetic to her or mostly dislikes her.

Better luck with your guesses next time though.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 31, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Why do you presume that because I don't like HRC (for substantive reasons) that I MUST be a Sanders devotee?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

rscott posted:

Well good new guys, middle aged white people with a high school education or less are dying at a rate that's like 3x the rate of wealthy white people, 2x the rate of Hispanics and have almost caught up to African Ameicans in mortality rate!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html

Too bad that Millennials are just as biased as their parents, so the demographic shift isn't as much of a boon as one might hope: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/23/millennials-are-just-as-racist-as-their-parents/

• Locked thread