Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Oberleutnant posted:

Thanks to this thread i had a dream about shooting a hi-point last night. I was squeezing and squeezing the trigger about 10 times before a bullet would half-assedly fart out about 10 feet with all the force of an airsoft gun.
Hi-points suck.

:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Takoluka posted:

In reading the article, I'm supposed to believe that the police potentially incited violence and purposefully elevated a situation to justify lethal force? When has that ever happened?

when its dumb white people police actually needed to do it. cf. ruby ridge where the fbi should have carpet bombed the place

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
There was a shoot out with deaths, but the real crime is the lovely guns used

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i imagine the police riding in to the parking lot on horseback picking off all the biker thugs like its a bad western

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ChairmanMeow posted:

biker deaths tho, meh

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

ChairmanMeow posted:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

ChairmanMeow posted:

It appears that these guns do in fact work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

biker deaths tho, meh

I kind of suspect that the majority of victims weren't exactly non-combatants.

I mean I feel bad but this feels less like "murder rampage" and more like "war between two lovely 'armies'." Sure they were just civilians but when both sides have guns and are shooting at each other..

Fortunately all of the waitresses and staff seemed to book it out of there in that unintentionally hilarious gif.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Train posted:

right around 100 dollars

If you watch enough COPS, you start realizing that pretty much all the guns confiscated from criminals past '00 are Hi-Points.

Jst0rm posted:

It appears that these guns do in fact work.

Actually, that's more likely the handiwork of the police with their AR-15s.

The other great point about this is the number of Taurus Judges found on the scene. If no one knows what the Judge is, it's a .45 Long Colt/.410 revolver. It can shoot shotgun loads, but a lot of people confuse this with 12 gauge shotguns and expect that type of performance but don't realize that .410 shotgun loads are like birdshot and snakeshot.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ArmZ posted:

when its dumb white people police actually needed to do it. cf. ruby ridge where the fbi should have carpet bombed the place

I still like my idea of dozens of drones dropping taser nets on them, it would be something worth seeing. :stare:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
don't they buy hi points because they're throwaway guns?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

don't they buy hi points because they're throwaway guns?

they're the cheapest guns that will probably work so basically

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Young Freud posted:

The other great point about this is the number of Taurus Judges found on the scene. If no one knows what the Judge is, it's a .45 Long Colt/.410 revolver. It can shoot shotgun loads, but a lot of people confuse this with 12 gauge shotguns and expect that type of performance but don't realize that .410 shotgun loads are like birdshot and snakeshot.

bitchboy 410

big boy 12 gauge

Taurus judge lol

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
So according to this thread, if someone pulls a gun and it's a hi point, it's ok to just laugh at them because there is zero chance it will successfully fire a bullet capable of harming anyone.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

ZombieParts posted:

So according to this thread, if someone pulls a gun and it's a hi point, it's ok to just laugh at them because there is zero chance it will successfully fire a bullet capable of harming anyone.

"Haha, is that a loving hi point?"

(is dead)

(gun is wiped down and thrown in a storm drain)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ZombieParts posted:

no that's a jennings/jimenez/lorcin/raven

e : plus the hi point is heavy they could hit you with it if it fails

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

posting failure

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Don't hitmen use low caliber pistols?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MeLKoR posted:

probably because they likely just walk up and put the gun to your head and pull the trigger

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

in books and such, because it is quieter and more easily suppressed along with usually being smaller. those particular brands of gun are just poo poo, regardless of caliber. they make .380 and 9mm at least as well. a decent .22 like a woodsman or neos will fire far more reliably despite still being .22

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Train posted:

Lorcins got popular because the security at their factory was so bad for a while people would just go in at night and steal whole crates of them

Edit: also they went out of business because of all the lawsuits due to the guns blowing up their owners

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 1, 2015

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Hi points are solid pistols, they won't win any beauty awards and they are machined kinda roughly, but they work.

They are supposedly one of the most common guns found in place evidence lockers. thats like a criminal seal of approval

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If you can't see light on the other side of the wound, it's a weapon for sissies.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pookum posted:

Hi points are solid pistols, they won't win any beauty awards and they are machined kinda roughly, but they work.

They are supposedly one of the most common guns found in place evidence lockers. thats like a criminal seal of approval

there's a website that sells evidence guns and they always have a bunch of hipoints

happyhippy posted:

If you can't see light on the other side of the wound, it's a weapon for sissies.

there shouldn't be an exit wound if you are using the proper ammunition (hollowpoints)

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pookum posted:

They jam a massive amount, both due to poor construction and their owners not taking care of them. Hi Points are bad guns with a lovely reputation because the operator is normally not incredibly competent, leading to jams caused by busted springs in the magazines, not having been cleaned/lubricated in 5+ years or just left buried behind someone's shed. The only thing worse than a Hi Point pistol/Carbine is a Hi point owner

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
There is a very good article that supposedly came from the FBI about which caliber has killed the most people in violent crimes and .22 caliber is number one by quite a margin. The comment section on every place that covers the article is hilarious because gun nuts can't help but try to sperg around the facts. Gun nuts also try to lump themselves in as self-appointed law enforcement so they are invulnerable to facts and .22 caliber bullets. I guess gun nuts wear body armor

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

whats wrong with taurus? i think they make comfortable grips.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Train posted:

bitchboy 410

big boy 12 gauge

Taurus judge lol

The big difference is in how much muzzle energy the round can put behind those pellets and how they'll disperse. With .410, it's about 550 to 800 Joules of energy. With a 12 gauge shotgun shell it's 2,700 to 4,000 Joules. And, with shotguns, that's divided into how many pellets that are fired. A quick search will tell me that the .410 standard loads (the ones above are supposedly newer "home defense" loads to make up for the Judge's barrel and chamber size) of 3 pellets is around 500 Joules, with a per pellet muzzle energy of 115 Joules, just less than that of a .22 Long Rifle bullet. In comparison, a combat or patrol loading of 8 buckshot pellets from a 12 gauge have the equivalent power of a 9mm pistol bullet and, which given the barrel lengths involved, you're more likely to get hit with most of those at close ranges compared to a .410 shot shell from a Taurus Judge.

Supposedly, the best .410 self-defense round is single-projectile slugs, but, even then, you're just better off buying a .357 Magnum revolver to for that extra one to three rounds in the cylinder and a consistently more potent cartridge.

Necros posted:

Taurus (both Brazil and it's USA branch) tends to have a reputation of gimmicky guns like the Judge as well as poor quality control. A couple years ago, they had to do a recall of 98,000 pistols that were issued to the Sao Paolo police in their home country of Brazil for being able to shoot themselves without pulling the trigger.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 2, 2015

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Supposedly, the best .410 self-defense round is single-projectile slugs, but, even then, you're just better off buying a .357 Magnum revolver to for that extra one to three rounds in the cylinder and a consistently more potent cartridge.

45 long colt is the best choice for it iirc but yea a 357 is better, although recoil is prolly worse

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Necros posted:

Their semi-autos are notoriously poorly built and the Judge is pretty much "Revolvers for Retards". but some of their simpler designed double action revolvers are pretty good. Rossi makes a small fortune re-manufacturing and importing Taurus revolvers with better quality internals

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blue Train posted:

45 long colt is the best choice for it iirc but yea a 357 is better, although recoil is prolly worse

I had a friend who owned a Thunder Five, which was the precursor to the Judge, and even then he didn't take the gun seriously as a defense weapon. It was a range toy and he eventually traded to a gun dealer for an Tanfoglio Witness semi-auto.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Their semi-autos are notoriously poorly built

ive heard this but I think it only is a problem with a few models, I have a tcp with prolly 3000 rounds through it with no malfunctions

e: oh and I have a taurus 357 that locks up when it gets too hot lol
ex2: ^ a good trade

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

King of Bees posted:

Free them all!!!

Justice for our fallen biker prez

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Taurus (both Brazil and it's USA branch) tends to have a reputation of gimmicky guns like the Judge as well as poor quality control. A couple years ago, they had to do a recall of 98,000 pistols that were issued to the Sao Paolo police in their home country of Brazil for being able to shoot themselves without pulling the trigger.

lol I remember this. There's a video of a terrified police officer kind of weakly wiggling his gun around with the safety on and it's popping off rounds like Yosemite Sam in between jams.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_YWNo1f-o

it actually seems to fire better with the safety on.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

ArmZ posted:

thats the thing where the atf did a sting on some woods hermit about illegal gun parts or something and then shot his son and his wife while she was holding her child in her arms right

or were you thinking of waco where they roasted a bunch of babies alive

lmao

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_YWNo1f-o

it actually seems to fire better with the safety on.

guns DO fire themselves who'd have thought

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wiffle ball bat posted:

thats the thing where the atf did a sting on some woods hermit about illegal gun parts or something and then shot his son and his wife while she was holding her child in her arms right

lmao

dude sold two sawed off shotguns to an atf agent, they were some crazy apocolyptic folk. guess they were technically right about their world ending tho lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

wiffle ball bat posted:

lmao

no it was the one where a crazy fundie conspiracy theory guy refused to show up to court and shot at people without provocation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Taurus Judge would probably be good for blasting out someone's window with bird shot while riding a motorcycle.

• Locked thread