Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Well, it's about that time, the beta for Football Manager 2016 is out.

Which means that there's a whole bunch of things they did to fix long running complaints.. even more long running complaints that weren't answered, and new and exciting things to complain about.

New: Create-a-Team main mode. Want to have Messi and Ronaldo playing for your team? Go ahead. Make "Idonthaveaclue United" and take them through the ranks
Create-a-Manager: Um.. I don't want to say the feature's a bit horrible.. more like a lot horrible. But if you ever wanted to make a horrible looking version of you to run around on the sidelines, this is your shot.
Fantasy Draft Minimode. Create teams with your friends and then play off in a minileague against each other.

Tactics screen looks way different, not sure I like it. UI got a LOT busier, which is good (more information available on screen), and bad (holy gently caress information overload)
Couple new camera angles, for those of us who play 3D mode, sorry no new camera angles for you 2D Grognards.

And of course, lots and lots of yelling and screaming about players being misrated/overpowered/underpowered, or finding new and innovative bugs in the match engine.

Have at it, FM nerds....

IMPORTANT LINKS:

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com - Learn what stuff does, because the game won't tell you.
http://www.sortitoutsi.net - Want Facepacks for the something mainstream like the EPL or something really obscure like the Slobodian Ninth Division? The sper.. er.. special folks at SortItOutSi have it covered, high and low
http://community.sigames.com - The official forums. Be careful about how you post there, there's a lot of "It never happened to me, therefore you must be using a pirated copy" bannings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
you can do some wonders with the new manager creation.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

"Steady now, Newcastle are doing just fine."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Apparently, the 2022 World Cup can be moved out of Qatar.. and not all the time..

(somewhat confirmed by Miles on twitter)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I'm guessing it makes it easier for SI to move the world cup in every game so they don't have the reschedule every league in the world for one season

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

euroboy posted:

I'm guessing it makes it easier for SI to move the world cup in every game so they don't have the reschedule every league in the world for one season

apparently it's just a random chance to happen

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
So how is it?

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
What's the deal with the "beta"? Is it full game can I just play beta and load the game once it comes out or am I gonna be missing a tons of features

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
It's very good. If you buy today, you will be able to play the full game, but if you encounter a bug, SI can wave their hands and say "it's beta, we'll fix it." So far I haven't found anything egregiously broken, but I'm only a few months into my first save.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jefferson Montero starts the game on the transfer list.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Still a disproportionate amount of shots hitting the woodwork.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

XBenedict posted:

Still a disproportionate amount of shots hitting the woodwork.

Yeah, alright Sam.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Still on 2015, but what are the quickest countries for EU nationality these days? Thought Croatia used to be good and now it need 8 years continuous or some mad poo poo.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Obliterati posted:

Still on 2015, but what are the quickest countries for EU nationality these days? Thought Croatia used to be good and now it need 8 years continuous or some mad poo poo.

Bulgaria, Serbia once they join the EU (which I think is guaranteed to happen in 2018~), I believe Northern Ireland but obviously you need work permits there so it's pretty pointless, and Gibraltar *should* work too, but realistically you're not gonna be offered one there :shobon: Those are the only 4 European teams with 3 years set in the editor, and all are accumulative rather than continuous.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Just powered through my first season and got Colchester into the Championship via the playoffs. No money available and a £2k/wk wage budget rise that all went on keeping Marvin Sordell from leaving, whee!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Allyn posted:

Bulgaria, Serbia once they join the EU (which I think is guaranteed to happen in 2018~), I believe Northern Ireland but obviously you need work permits there so it's pretty pointless, and Gibraltar *should* work too, but realistically you're not gonna be offered one there :shobon: Those are the only 4 European teams with 3 years set in the editor, and all are accumulative rather than continuous.

Of those four, Serbia would have the best / most competitive league, yeah? The worst part of sending kids out for 3 years to gain citizenship is that they end up doing gently caress all for 3 years in some backwards country and it stunts their development

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just buy a 25 year old and save yourself 5 years of development time. You'll probably give up on the career before Johnny Brazil is ready for the first team.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

lol at me giving up on a career less than 10 years in, developing youth players is one of the most fun parts of the game imo

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Short games are best, not surprised people take a bad team to the CL or whatever if they have every high PA kid in the game, probably harder and less tedious to do it first season with Arsenal ffs.

Do you long game mans play comprehensive and actually micro through matches (how God meant this to be played)?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I normally play a short-ish game with West Ham where I spend 5 or so seasons just missing out on silverware, and then play a long 20 year odd game in a lower league trying to drag some poo poo club from Bongobongia to the CL. What that ends up being is that after a few seasons, the club will be too strong for domestic competition, so I'll micromanage the big domestic rivalries, cup finals and European games, and holiday or just not pay attention to most of the other league games. Trying to pull off transfer coups for some completely unknown Moldovan 'wonderkid' with Shitanddust FC and then moulding him into a vaguely servicable player who gets fed up and leaves 3 years later to sit on the bench in Serie B is absolutely my jam.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Bogan Krkic posted:

Trying to pull off transfer coups for some completely unknown Moldovan 'wonderkid' with Shitanddust FC and then moulding him into a vaguely servicable player who gets fed up and leaves 3 years later to sit on the bench in Serie B is absolutely my jam.

This is by far the best part about FM

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like buying middle-aged journeymen for £1m and getting them their first international caps and then sticking with them even when the team outgrows their ability because I'm a sentimental old fool.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I've tried playing in the lower leagues but i really cannoy deal with players who have a CA and PA of like 10 and for all stats a 1 or so. Its terrible and i respect anyone who can stomach that kind of game.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Charlie Mopps posted:

I've tried playing in the lower leagues but i really cannoy deal with players who have a CA and PA of like 10 and for all stats a 1 or so. Its terrible and i respect anyone who can stomach that kind of game.

Playing in Gibraltar in FM14 I had a striker with a PA of 8 who spent something like 15 seasons as top Gibraltan scorer in the league and ended up retiring the season after we finally made it to the CL groups, with him starting against Bayern lmao

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I sold Lallana to Arsenal on day 1 for £29m including addons(!), Lovren to Monaco for £18m, and went shopping. After a dodgy start where my last FM15 tactic just horribly failed and needed a lot of tweaking, the front 3 of Morata, Sturridge, and Berardi, as IF-A, CF-A, and IF-A, is now basically winning me the league on autopilot, they're scoring preposterous goals in my super fluid and expressive/roamy tactic with Couts and Hendo just practising their killer balls and tempo dictation in every match. Combined with the new ME animations it's some of the most beautiful football I've ever watched in FM.

Think I'll go West Ham or Crystal Palace next, get them into europe.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2015

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

I find it's the only enjoyable way to play, really.

Taking a team, buying the best players in the game or using an editor or cheat sheet to find the best youngsters and then watching the game engine just do its thing when you have the best team already and are just waiting for it to all work itself out isn't REALLY playing the game all that much.

Way more effort and satisfaction in taking a lower division team, making your tactics work for who you can sign, rather than finding players who fit your tactics and having to actually give a poo poo about your budget from year to year knowing that you'll get fired if you have too many players making too much money in the twilight of their careers and you can't move them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I sold Lallana to Arsenal on day 1 for £29m including addons(!), Lovren to Monaco for £18m, and went shopping. After a dodgy start where my last FM15 tactic just horribly failed and needed a lot of tweaking, the front 3 of Morata, Sturridge, and Berardi, as IF-A, CF-A, and IF-A, is now basically winning me the league on autopilot, they're scoring preposterous goals in my super fluid and expressive/roamy tactic with Couts and Hendo just practising their killer balls and tempo dictation in every match. Combined with the new ME animations it's some of the most beautiful football I've ever watched in FM.

Think I'll go West Ham or Crystal Palace next, get them into europe.

Liverpool are again madly overrated because their researcher is in charge of the PL as a whole and can do what he wants.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I'm doing an LP on another forum taking QPR back to the Premier League and ultimately to the CL. This match engine is actually enjoyable to watch. For the first time ever I'm using the split view with the pitch on one side and the match stats on the other. With the fitness bar above the active player's head, it's even feasible to watch for players to sub. It also has the benefit of allow me to hone my tactics when I see gaps between the defensive and midfield lines or I see one opposition player abusing my fullbacks.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What's an LP?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Let's play. Example of a very good one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584222

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's like a cassette tape.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I see. Like our old Parmos thing. That does look like a lot of effort though.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How's the fantasy draft mini mode? I'm guessing poo poo.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I like managing lower leagues as well, but usually within the English system. I think the average CA for most players I use is around 30-40. It's fun to look for players that might be physical beasts but otherwise poo poo that I can use to create huge mismatches.

I have an affinity for recruiting the biggest CB's and CF's I can find, shoving them into a 3-5-2, and roleplaying as Sam Allardyce

Looking forward to finding an English Level 8 file or similar, since I'm too dumb to activate the leagues myself, and taking over Met Police or something.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Liverpool are again madly overrated because their researcher is in charge of the PL as a whole and can do what he wants.

Well they're kinda crap at first, then as the season goes along players like Coutinho start getting "World Class" descriptions from your coaches etc, the kids are overrated probably, but then potential is always such a sure thing in FM. Check out Gomez haha he kinda proves your point, I mean this is one of the fringe kids:

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
drat, I need to see if they'll loan him to me in my QPR save.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Hopefully they get the champions league spot...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The way it works is that all teams are given a CA16 figure, which is the average Current Ability rating of the top 16 players at the club, not including new signings or players that were injured for most of the previous season. Researchers have to tailor their ratings to meet this CA16 as near as possible (also there's a few other averages, too, but CA16 is the most important). This number is based on how the team finished in their league table.

The exception to this is that Liverpool's CA16 is higher than Spurs', and about 5 points higher than Southampton's.

He doesn't have to include Sturridge (although Gerrard's crazy rating is in there).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Cityinthesea posted:

Hopefully they get the champions league spot...

What weird poo poo do you have going down? Why are all the teams named 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
As part of MLS's expanding of rosters to try to get more homegrown players ready at the highest level possible, they've created Acaademy (basically U-18), and 2nd teams, that play in a lower division, so that the team's young players and scrubs can get competitive game time.

So Seattle's 2nd team (which plays in USL Pro) managed to pull off the US Open Cup win. May be a bug, I don't know if 2nd teams are allowed in the US Cup.

edit: Just checked Da Wiki and yeah, they're allowed.